BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Japan North-East coast hit by largest earthquake for 140 years

Within the last few hours.

8.8 magnitude.

Big Tsunamis accompanying it.

Low-lying areas of Hawaii being evacuated.

Fires have broken out across Japan.

Tokyo has avoided worst of it, and it seems Japan's design of buildings to resist earthquake has been pretty effective, but tsunami has been most destructive.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.youtube.com/watch?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline

It wouldn't make much difference otherwise, but these are orders of magnitude.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just saw that on the

I just saw that on the national weather service web site.  They have issued tsunami warnings for central California up to Alaska.  Sucks to be them.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
And yet another natural

And yet another natural disaster the alleged deadbeat in the sky sat and watched with folded arms.

Or maybe it was because of plate tectonics?

Cant figure out why this happened, it is a complete mystery.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I don't think I've ever seen

I don't think I've ever seen video as clear as some of that stuff, holy crap.  I keep imagining what it would be like to be one of those poor bastards caught in the flow of that.  Sobering stuff.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline
My prayers go out to all

My prayers go out to all those affected in Japan, and I pray:

O God, who hast established the earth upon firm foundations, graciously receive the prayers of Thy people: and, having utterly removed the dangers of the shaken earth, turn the terrors of Thy divine wrath into the means of the salvation of mankind; that they who are of the earth, and unto earth shall return, may rejoice to find themselves citizens of heaven by means of a holy life. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Eternal rest grant unto them O Lord,
And let perpetual Light shine upon them.
May their souls
And the souls of all the faithful departed
Through the mercy of God
Rest in peace.
Amen.

Our Father Who art in heaven hallowed by thy Name. Thy Kingdom come, thy Will be done on earth as it is in Heaven, and give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff. -The Doctor

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cliff Jumper wrote:O God,

Cliff Jumper wrote:

O God, who hast established the earth upon firm foundations

Firm foundation??? Obviously not. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh god

Cliff Jumper wrote:

O God, who hast established the earth upon firm foundations, graciously receive the prayers of Thy people: and, having utterly removed the dangers of the shaken earth, turn the terrors of Thy divine wrath into the means of the salvation of mankind; that they who are of the earth, and unto earth shall return, may rejoice to find themselves citizens of heaven by means of a holy life. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

May their souls
Through the mercy of God
Rest in peace.
Amen.

Our Father Who art in heaven hallowed by thy Name. Thy Kingdom come, thy Will be done on earth as it is in Heaven, and give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen

What would we do with out people like you;  oh lordy lordy how insensitive thou artith.   Cliff jumper why don't you find a cliff and jump off it.

Why would your all loving and kind god destroy and kill so meny;  for the hellava it maybe.

Now let us pray. in the name of political correctness;

Our father, our mother, our sister our brother

who art [or maybe not] in heaven, hell ,valhalla, Mt Olympus or southwest Cleveland

Hallowed be thy name, thy rank, thy serial number;  or not.

Give us this day our daily white bread, brown bread, whole wheat, pompernickol or rye toasted  --  -- one side only with a side order of fries and cole slaw plus a soft drink for every one present;

Make one lo-cal.

Forgive me my trespasses but not nessasarily those who try to screw me over.  You must be far too busy to trubble your head over others.

And lead us not into temptation;  we can get there just fine by ourselves but thanks for  offering;

But deliver us from evil;   just take your time we should get to know evil before just walking away from it. And evil according to your bible is a lot more peaceful and less deadly then you and Junior.

Toodles

Jim F.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

kostel25
kostel25's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't believe how many

I can't believe how many people on facebook & twitter are saying "I'm praying for japan" etc. A lot of good THAT will do.

If your friends are posting similar status updates, here's a website you can post in response & tell them they can ctually DO something about the disaster.

www.globalgiving.org

What's the difference between Texas and Saudi Arabia? In Texas they execute you for murder, in Saudi Arabia they excecute you for having a Xmass tree.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Jeffrick wrote:Cliff Jumper

Jeffrick wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

May their souls
Through the mercy of God
Rest in peace.
Amen.

Amen

What would we do with out people like you;  oh lordy lordy how insensitive thou artith.   Cliff jumper why don't you find a cliff and jump off it.

Why would your all loving and kind god destroy and kill so meny;  for the hellava it maybe.

Now let us pray. in the name of political correctness;

Our father, our mother, our sister our brother

who art [or maybe not] in heaven, hell ,valhalla, Mt Olympus or southwest Cleveland

Hallowed be thy name, thy rank, thy serial number;  or not.

Give us this day our daily white bread, brown bread, whole wheat, pompernickol or rye toasted  --  -- one side only with a side order of fries and cole slaw plus a soft drink for every one present;

Make one lo-cal.

Forgive me my trespasses but not nessasarily those who try to screw me over.  You must be far too busy to trubble your head over others.

And lead us not into temptation;  we can get there just fine by ourselves but thanks for  offering;

But deliver us from evil;   just take your time we should get to know evil before just walking away from it. And evil according to your bible is a lot more peaceful and less deadly then you and Junior.

Toodles

Jim F.

I don't want people committing suicide. I am sure you meant that sarcastically, but the only thing I would wish for Cliff is to wake up and leave their superstition behind.

This event was a result of plates shifting, not some cosmic comic book battle between good and evil.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
To actually pray to a God

To actually pray to a God who 'designed' the Earth with such unstable structure that this sort of thing keeps happening is just so bizarre, unless you are doing it out of fear that he let it happen because those people were not sucking up to him hard enough, and you are shit-scared he might do it you and yours. 

And WTF is with this "having utterly removed the dangers of the shaken earth,"??? That is crazy talk.

The problem with that is that natural disasters are just so indiscriminate, they don't relate to the devoutness of he culture, or even which 'God' they believe in. Although the crudeness of the method of punishment is a 'signature' of the God of the Bible, who doesn't seem to care about just punishing the unbelievers, he sends floods and other forms of mass destruction to the whole community, or even the whole Earth.

In this kind of thing, it is pure luck whether the individuals who actually die or suffer the most are more 'deserving' of such a fate than those who get away with little or no loss.

This kind of thing also can't be blamed in any way on some mistake on our part, apart possibly from building communities in an earthquake-prone part of the world. But since most of the surface of the Earth is subject to occasional natural disasters of some kind, and we are exhorted to 'go forth and multiply', we have a problem...

The only rational conclusion to draw from such events, is that IF there is a God, he is an evil sonovabitch, or else totally incompetent.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Our (Australian) Prime

Our (Australian) Prime Minister said that "the Japanese people have been dealt a cruel blow".

I fully agree, but then she's an atheist too.

To still cling to the idea of a God who is worth praying to after this kind of thing can only be justified out of pure fear, or f**king insanity.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Death toll currently

Death toll currently estimated to be over 1000.

There is a real problem in preparing for this scenario, according to an expert I saw interviewed. The design of buildings to best survive tsunamis is not compatible with design for best earthquake resistance.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Death toll

BobSpence1 wrote:

Death toll currently estimated to be over 1000.

There is a real problem in preparing for this scenario, according to an expert I saw interviewed. The design of buildings to best survive tsunamis is not compatible with design for best earthquake resistance.

Makes sense, you'd want rigid structures for anti-tsunami, right?

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
To Brian37

I am not so gentle and liberal as you are Brian 37.  I pray for Cliff to jump; it would be the most rational thing he has done since joining us. The quicker these fairy tale mongers shuffle themselves off our real world the better off we will all be.

Did I say that or did Brian37 type it?

Nah  it was me James E.F.Frederick;  Jeffrick.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:And yet

Brian37 wrote:

And yet another natural disaster the alleged deadbeat in the sky sat and watched with folded arms.

Yeah.. yeah... but he watches because ppl have no belief!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

bESIDES,  I think Japan made a pact with the devil or sumthing...

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow just wow. Suicide

Wow just wow. Suicide rational. I'm astonished that the main posts on this forum have been of the line, "Where's your Messiah now..." Jeez. I'll remember next time that instead of donating money and praying to God that complaining about God is the rational thing to do.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff. -The Doctor

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cliff Jumper wrote:Wow just

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Wow just wow. Suicide rational. I'm astonished that the main posts on this forum have been of the line, "Where's your Messiah now..." Jeez. I'll remember next time that instead of donating money and praying to God that complaining about God is the rational thing to do.

The prayer wouldn't be so bad if you had actually meant it. You just came to this forum because you wanted a street corner to pray at.

Verily, you have your reward.

Donate please. Praying is just a salve for your conscience - doesn't do much for anyone else.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

mellestad
User is offlineOffline

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Donating is great, you might actually help someone, and I applaud that.  

Maybe next time you should just say that instead of taking the time to log onto an atheist debate forum to subject us to a useless act of self gratification writ public for your own ego.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Belief in a God in the context is obscenely ignorant.

There is no inherent linkage between the pagan idea of praying to the God(s), with genuine empathy for other members of our global society and finding ways we can assist them in a disastrous situation. The disaster would be clearly be the responsibly of a God if he actually existed. He would deserve nothing but contempt and condemnation.

Keep your evil God critter out of sane conversation, please.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cliff Jumper wrote:My

Cliff Jumper wrote:

May their souls
Through the mercy of God
Rest in peace.
Amen.

Amen

Divine wrath WTF did those people do to piss off God. Does he have anger management problems??? Now that makes sense. Hey better repent and accept my sonny or I will drown you, your little children, and their cats and dogs.  Oh and I am gonna really ruin your homes, cars and businesses. So you can suffer a little more because I love to WATCH.  We could use a little more of this "will" in heaven rather than on earth. See how the angels like drowning.Or Jesus's boat gets wrecked...  Deliver us from evil... So you are praying for god to deliver us from himself. He's the one you said is doing this stuff. So god's wrath is evil. So god does evil. So god is evil... Finally a Christian that admits it.... Praise the lord....

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline

Cliff Jumper wrote:

"I went to an atheist forum and they made fun of my imaginary friends!"

Ok guys... from now on it's pulling our punches towards theism, k?

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't wish any harm to our

abseiling friend but posting a prayer on this forum is the act of a major dumbass. Why don't you go over there with a mop and bucket, cliff jumper. Prayer is just a copout. Oh - I'm praying for you but don't expect any actual help.

It's hard to believe people actually believe in an interventionist god who will answer their prayers. Who the hell knows. Maybe this earthquake is the result of 60 years of prayers from the Changi Widows' Association.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Crikey

Now the nuclear thing over there, too. What a nightmare. Poor bastards.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: Now

Atheistextremist wrote:

Any after shocks your way?  I have reliable info South Korea is quiet.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 There was a phone

There was a phone interview on my local new station, one tourist was claiming that close to the epicenter there is a continuous aftershock since yesterday.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Atheistextremist

cj wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Any after shocks your way?  I have reliable info South Korea is quiet.

you called one of your rugrats over there?

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:you called one

Kapkao wrote:

Said rugrat is 40 years old - way older than you.

Call? - Facebook.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Kapkao wrote:you

cj wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Call? - Facebook.

Oh, so your a teen mommy, eh?

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unbefitting ..Today is the Day of 'GodZilla' ... ...

Unbefitting-the-occasion,  .. however GodZilla  IS  unstoppable . .

Quote:
That is crazy talk .. the crudeness of the method of punishment is a 'signature' of the God of the Bible, who doesn't seem to care

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:cj wrote:Kapkao

Kapkao wrote:

cj wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Call? - Facebook.

Oh, so your a teen mommy, eh?

Yeah - 19 is still a teen -

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unbefitting ..Today is the Day of 'GodZilla' ... ...

kostel25
kostel25's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another trend present on

Another trend present on facebook from dumb-ass, pseudo-patriotic Americans...

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/03/i_hope_these_people_arent_your.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=F...

These guys are saying this was payback for .... Pearl harbor!!! Where do I even start to say how full of bullshit that is!!!!!

What's the difference between Texas and Saudi Arabia? In Texas they execute you for murder, in Saudi Arabia they excecute you for having a Xmass tree.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
re: Yep, .. how full of bullcrap that is!!!!!

kostel25 wrote:
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/.. Where do I even start to say how full of bullcrap that is!!!!!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
This explains why the

This explains why the Japanese bow when greeting each other. I can understand why they don't want  have anything to do with shaking.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
danatemporary wrote:kostel25

danatemporary wrote:

kostel25 wrote:
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/.. Where do I even start to say how full of bullcrap that is!!!!!

Jeeze, could you be any more stereotypical? LOL. It was Mothra, Zilla boy is the hero in some of those movies.

My X-is Japanese. She lives in the states, but her family still lives there. ANYWHO, the last time they had a quake I paniced and called her up an she sighed, "Brian, that was on the OTHER side of the country".

That would be like if California had a quake and her family called her up when we were together living in Va, "Are you ok?".

I am not sure how she would take this sense of humor so close to the event, but she does have a good sense of humor.

When we were married and she'd get one up on me in a play argument I'd playfully raise my voice, "Just remember, we kicked your ass in WW2"

In all seriousness though, I have to give this country kudos, calm and no crime. When disaster hits America we go ape shit. We need to take a lesson from them.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
kostel25 wrote:Another trend

kostel25 wrote:

Another trend present on facebook from dumb-ass, pseudo-patriotic Americans...

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/03/i_hope_these_people_arent_your.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=F...

These guys are saying this was payback for .... Pearl harbor!!! Where do I even start to say how full of bullshit that is!!!!!

If this was payback for Pearl Harbor I would hate to see the payback for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Gawdzilla
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:8.9 It

Kapkao wrote:

It wouldn't make much difference otherwise, but these are orders of magnitude.

9.0 according to MSNBC, upgraded this AM.

Gawdzilla
atheist
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote: Dude!

danatemporary wrote:

Dude! That was a closed session.