Atheist kick out of city council chamber for t-shirt.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Atheist kick out of city council chamber for t-shirt.

http://www.cape-coral-daily-breeze.com/page/content.detail/id/521893.html?nav=5011

Didn't these assholes learn anything from the congressional bullshit during one of Bush's state of the Union adresses? I think a couple of people both on the left and right were kicked out of the gallery for so called "pro" attire.

The shirt in question read "One nation, indivisible", WHICH IS THE CORRECT AND ORIGINAL LANGUAGE.

Please post your opinion and if the city council has a website or e-mail address, please post it here. DONT LET THIS GO. EVERY voice counts.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 WTF, it wasn't even a

WTF, it wasn't even a blatantly religious statement. I could kind of understand the argument if the t-shirt was profane and said something like Fuck God. I hope they sue the city council. Especially since the city council holds a prayer at the beginning of each meeting then gets all offended about someone wearing a t-shirt with a very subtle atheist and patriotic message. 

Here is another site with more info on this incident and a picture of the "offensive" shirt. http://free2think.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1320 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Dear Editor,   Would this

Dear Editor,   Would this same Mayor be offended if the t-shirt had this Jefferson quote on it? "Question with boldness even the existence of god"?   Or how about a t-shirt with a quote from the Barbary Treaty, article 11, "As the government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Chrisitan religion" signed by both houses of congress into LAW, without dissent, by President John Adams, June 10th 1797.   The founders were for freedom of religion, not monopolies of power. Which is why in our First Amendment says, "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion"   And in the oath of office "NO RELIGIOUS TEST"   One of the council members said he was offended that the atheist did not say "under God" during the pledge. I wonder how offended Muslims in Saudi Arabia would be if he didn't cow tow to Allah during their cerimonies? Both these Christians and us atheists would be treated the same for the offense of blasphemy.   This Mayor and city council member are treating a fellow citizen as if they had wearing the t-shirt with cartoon boobies or a middle finger on it, or cuss words on it.   I am sure if someone came in with a t-shirt with a cross on it their lips would be sealed.   It is funny that as soon as their god is challenged they behaive in the same tribal mannor they rightfully condemn the middle east for.   Since when is pointing out history a crime, much less holding a different position?   Maybe "freedom" to these Christians means as long as all others take a seat at the back of the bus. No thanks, blacks have already been there and I won't take seat there either.   Sincerely,   Brian

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Dear Editor,

Brian37 wrote:

Dear Editor,   Would this same Mayor be offended if the t-shirt had this Jefferson quote on it? "Question with boldness even the existence of god"? Or how about a t-shirt with a quote from the Barbary Treaty, article 11, "As the government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Chrisitan religion" signed by both houses of congress into LAW, without dissent, by President John Adams, June 10th 1797. The founders were for freedom of religion, not monopolies of power. Which is why in our First Amendment says, "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion" And in the oath of office "NO RELIGIOUS TEST" One of the council members said he was offended that the atheist did not say "under God" during the pledge. I wonder how offended Muslims in Saudi Arabia would be if he didn't cow tow to Allah during their cerimonies? Both these Christians and us atheists would be treated the same for the offense of blasphemy. This Mayor and city council member are treating a fellow citizen as if they had wearing the t-shirt with cartoon boobies or a middle finger on it, or cuss words on it. I am sure if someone came in with a t-shirt with a cross on it their lips would be sealed. It is funny that as soon as their god is challenged they behaive in the same tribal mannor they rightfully condemn the middle east for. Since when is pointing out history a crime, much less holding a different position? Maybe "freedom" to these Christians means as long as all others take a seat at the back of the bus. No thanks, blacks have already been there and I won't take seat there either.Sincerely,Brian

Amen to that. Have you sent it to the Mayor or someone?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
And they were wearing it to

And they were wearing it to a meeting about *drumroll* whether or not to keep the opening prayer in city council meetings.  And the voted to keep it.

Oh, the painful irony.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
I tried

I tried googling and looking up an address to the mayor or the city council and so far have been unsuccessful.

If anyone finds it, or some telephone number where I can call and leave a complaint with them, it would be greatly appreciated.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Here you

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

THANKS !

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I think that shirt was

I think that shirt was thourghly disproved