NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

http://www.9lives.be/forum/members/cookiebear-albums-funny-shit-picture5019-kamehameha.jpg

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Should have had someone like

Should have had someone like James Randi or Joe Nickell along for that, scientists are not good at detecting fraud.

A number of things didn't quite ring true to me, or at least inconsistent. Something that can light an LED has to be detectable by a voltmeter.

Stopping a bullet has nothing to do with any kind of electricity, definitely a carnival trick type of thing.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I believe chi exists and

I believe chi exists and that this guy appears to be ligit.

I studied martial arts with a Korean Master and chi was an essential part of the lesons.

I don't think there is anything 'otherworldly' about it though... just another one of those things science has yet to define.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Someone's beaten us to it :

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chi is power of suggestion,

Chi is power of suggestion, mainly.

Doesn't necessarily mean they are consciously deceiving you, altho that guy almost certainly was.

My brother believes it, or at least did.

He tried to show me by exerting some force on me, but complained that I wasn't 'co-operating' properly - IOW I didn't buy it so the psychology didn't work.

It's like Christians complaining we don't 'see' or 'feel' God or Jesus because we won't open our hearts to them.

With that guy, I couldn't help being reminded of the 'psychic surgeons' in the Phillipines, also pretty thoroughly discredited.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
I saw

BobSpence1 wrote:

Doesn't necessarily mean they are consciously deceiving you, altho that guy almost certainly was.

He tried to show me by exerting some force on me, but complained that I wasn't 'co-operating' properly - IOW I didn't buy it so the psychology didn't work.

It's like Christians complaining we don't 'see' or 'feel' God or Jesus because we won't open our hearts to them.

With that guy, I couldn't help being reminded of the 'psychic surgeons' in the Phillipines, also pretty thoroughly discredited.

I saw something very similiar to what you are talking about on a Natural Geographic special Bob. (Can't remember the name exactly). But on the program, two Italian scientists ventured into a place where Chi was practiced and the result was about like what you mentioned. I remember that  they too, had some sort of theory about  suggestion and psychology. But I don't remember the entire program as it was a couple of years ago.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Looks like they have some

Looks like they have some resident nut jobs there too.

The mind has immense power... over itself.  Subjective perception, confirmation bias, and misunderstanding of the statistical likelihood of certain chance events with a bit of deliberate trickery thrown in do quite well to explain all of this without rewriting the fundamental laws or physics.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, the power of the mind

Yes, the power of the mind is immense and not just over itself.

'mind over matter', 'power of persuasion', etc...

A focused mind can be a very powerful tool especially when combined with chi energy.

I suppose this is a hoax, too?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Yes, the

Sandycane wrote:

A focused mind can be a very powerful tool especially when combined with chi energy.

No, not a hoax, just doesn't require any chi 'energy', unless you mean it in a metaphorical way, IOW, the same energy source the body always has, but accessed in a more focussed way.

Actually, in scientific terms, those feats do not require any extra energy, just ordinary quantities of energy, released in a more explosive, intensive way, so as to generate extra momentum, which produces higher peak force when the part of the body contacts a solid object. I would be far more impressed if they broke a pile of tough wood slabs, which are not as brittle as concrete, and not so susceptible to high peak force.

The power of the mind is definitely NOT 'immense', and it ONLY has strong power over itself and to some extent the body. It also has strong powers to fool itself.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Someone's

If anyone can do these types of things, and it just requires training, why won't even one of these "chi masters" demonstrate their abilities in a real controlled experiment, rather than these stupid anecdotes and magic tricks. All it would require is for even one person to do this consistently.

Just the fact that these groups always hide what they do and how they do it should instantly make us much more skeptical. "Tradition" is not a good excuse for hiding these things. If these things were true, it would benefit the human race immensely for these secrets to be released to the scientific community, so that we can use this knowledge to help people. On the other hand, the fact that it's bullshit would be a great reason for keeping their practice a secret. They won't make any money if people know that they're selling pseudoscience.     

Nice.

Btw, I can light a light bulb too.

http://www.amazon.com/Human-Powered-Light-Bulb/dp/B001EVK3F6

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Yes, the

Sandycane wrote:

It is partially a trick.  Pluse all that usual karate-do training.  The trick is to use the objects that can be broken instead of using steel, foot-thick fresh wood, etc.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am quite familiar with my

I am quite familiar with my chi. Though, I can't distinguish positive or negative charge of it. It flows as I make it to flow, that's the problem. I'd love to study that man and learn from him. It is a wonder how strong and rough his methods are and yet he doesn't hurt himself. And I was really close to hurting myself several times during my experiments. (as for the other people.... well, at least they feel he really does something) The truth is, that if I'd try such things by myself, I could end up badly. The more skillful I'd be, the more danger would that mean. A failure in manipulating with such powerful forces could mean a permanent damage of nerve system or possibly insanity. No wonder these things are kept in secret.

I don't think it is strange that he can light up a LED, but can't show anything on voltmeter. Electricity is not so simple, there is the so-called "imaginary" component (i) that only some types of electric devices use and that is also sometimes described in calculations or graphs.

Anyway, as he says, he's doing it with his belly chakra. Physical body does not have chakras, it only has corresponding endocrine glands that are connected to each of seven major chakras. He uses the energies of etheric body, not dense-physical. Etheric body has these chakras and meridians that lead around it. I have no idea what sorts of electricity or other forms of energy operate in etheric body. I know how they feel, but not what they are.

But there's a few of important things to notice. Firstly, to study such things means to risk one's dignity, privacy and future, whether there is a success or not. People would usually like to avoid that. Secondly, people who are capable of anything are usually either secretive oddballs (just look at me) or masters of disguise. Thirdly, they have their own job or interests that do not go well with abandoning it all for scientific study. Fourthly, those people may have their own agenda - their sect, guru, master or hierarchy, that is in charge of them. Their agenda may be hostile to publicity and research. Fifthly, the weak psychics may be sensitive and fail in stressful environment. (being dressed only in briefs and poked by James Randi's cane is a good example) And I could go on. Researchers can't expect those people just come and risk everything for a good word. They must receive an actual reward, not an empty promise of million dollar prize. This is not a contest, this is supposed to be a research of what exactly is going on, and the people hired for that should be also paid and their anonymity should be protected.

harleysportster wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I saw something very similiar to what you are talking about on a Natural Geographic special Bob. (Can't remember the name exactly). But on the program, two Italian scientists ventured into a place where Chi was practiced and the result was about like what you mentioned. I remember that  they too, had some sort of theory about  suggestion and psychology. But I don't remember the entire program as it was a couple of years ago.

There is a basic esoteric axiom: Energy follows thought.
The quality of thought determines the quality of produced energy. So yes, the psychologic factor is very important. Healers must meditate, martial artists must concentrate. Evangelical preachers must work themselves up into a divine trance or frenzy. I can of course work with etheric substance any time, but it is a "cold" substance, a weak one. Charging it with some stronger energy so that it fires up, this requires a great concentration and conscious effort.

However, the psychologic factor is only the means to produce the energy. Once the energy is produced, it exists. I already wrote here about this. I once allowed an exalted evangelical preacher to put his hands on me with "the fire of holy spirit". Hell, that was bad. This energy was way too strong, it left me in bad shape for a week. I have manipulated such strong energy before, but always outside of my body, not touching it with my skin.
I am not a Christian and I wasn't in any psycho state at this meeting. I was just curious. The real difference is, that I am consciously aware of my etheric body and everything that happens to it, good or bad. Dunno what other people do with sensory input from their etheric bodies. This is not a thing of belief, although belief might help if the etheric perception is below the threshold of consciousness because of unbelief in such things. The etheric sensory input might be in the great majority of data that our brain processes subconsciously. Everyone should be capable of learning this. I believe it must be much easier that what we commonly achieve in life - like learning a foreign language, learning to drive, etc.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:I don't think

Luminon wrote:

I don't think it is strange that he can light up a LED, but can't show anything on voltmeter. Electricity is not so simple, there is the so-called "imaginary" component (i) that only some types of electric devices use and that is also sometimes described in calculations or graphs.

OMFG!

ALL, ALL your household devices use what you call "imaginary" component!!! It is called AC (alternating current!)  

Please don't put this bullshit on the board where it can be read by a physicist!

Fucking magnets!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
The quickest way to tell

The quickest way to tell when someone is selling you a bill of goods is to ask them if you can inspect the merchandise and they refuse, or cop it out to being a "gift".

Mental tricks are taught and learned as much as a "magician" learns to saw the woman in half, which he really is not doing.

I don't care what you are claiming, if you cant SHOW others, or wont show others, HOW you do something and how it works through your methodology and have it independently kicked around in an independent lab setting with blind tests, you have nothing but a scam.

Woo is woo, no matter what it is dressed up in.

"I saw it with my own eyes"

"The horoscope said I would come into some money, and I found a 20 I lost last week"

If you want to believe in ANYTHING, you will believe in anything. TESTING beyond bias in a controlled setting is the only way to filter out crap.

Claims are like assholes, everyone has one.

If "Chi" were lagit, it would be taught in biology class and chemistry class. I am not impressed with something because it has the "appearance" of being elaborate. A scam is a scam no mater how cleaver it was in being concocted.

Maybe you should suggest this to Myth Busters.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:

Luminon wrote:

OMFG!

ALL, ALL your household devices use what you call "imaginary" component!!! It is called AC (alternating current!)  

Please don't put this bullshit on the board where it can be read by a physicist!

Fucking magnets!

The 'imaginary' component of the current in AC power is that which is 90 degrees out-of-phase with the voltage, normally called the 'reactive' component. It actually conveys no net energy, since it represents the current flowing through inductive and capacitive components in the circuitry, which do not dissipate energy, but just temporarily store it in magnetic or electric fields, and then put it back into the wiring, on each half-cycle of the AC voltage.

By definition, the imaginary, reactive component of AC power is not lighting the LED.

BTW, I have a University Degree with Honors in Electrical Engineering...

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:I am quite

Luminon wrote:

I am quite familiar with my chi. Though, I can't distinguish positive or negative charge of it. It flows as I make it to flow, that's the problem. I'd love to study that man and learn from him. It is a wonder how strong and rough his methods are and yet he doesn't hurt himself. And I was really close to hurting myself several times during my experiments. (as for the other people.... well, at least they feel he really does something) The truth is, that if I'd try such things by myself, I could end up badly. The more skillful I'd be, the more danger would that mean. A failure in manipulating with such powerful forces could mean a permanent damage of nerve system or possibly insanity. No wonder these things are kept in secret.

Anyway, as he says, he's doing it with his belly chakra. Physical body does not have chakras, it only has corresponding endocrine glands that are connected to each of seven major chakras. He uses the energies of etheric body, not dense-physical. Etheric body has these chakras and meridians that lead around it. I have no idea what sorts of electricity or other forms of energy operate in etheric body. I know how they feel, but not what they are.

But there's a few of important things to notice. Firstly, to study such things means to risk one's dignity, privacy and future, whether there is a success or not. People would usually like to avoid that. Secondly, people who are capable of anything are usually either secretive oddballs (just look at me) or masters of disguise. Thirdly, they have their own job or interests that do not go well with abandoning it all for scientific study. Fourthly, those people may have their own agenda - their sect, guru, master or hierarchy, that is in charge of them. Their agenda may be hostile to publicity and research. Fifthly, the weak psychics may be sensitive and fail in stressful environment. (being dressed only in briefs and poked by James Randi's cane is a good example) And I could go on. Researchers can't expect those people just come and risk everything for a good word. They must receive an actual reward, not an empty promise of million dollar prize. This is not a contest, this is supposed to be a research of what exactly is going on, and the people hired for that should be also paid and their anonymity should be protected.

harleysportster wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

There is a basic esoteric axiom: Energy follows thought.
The quality of thought determines the quality of produced energy. So yes, the psychologic factor is very important. Healers must meditate, martial artists must concentrate. Evangelical preachers must work themselves up into a divine trance or frenzy. I can of course work with etheric substance any time, but it is a "cold" substance, a weak one. Charging it with some stronger energy so that it fires up, this requires a great concentration and conscious effort.

However, the psychologic factor is only the means to produce the energy. Once the energy is produced, it exists. I already wrote here about this. I once allowed an exalted evangelical preacher to put his hands on me with "the fire of holy spirit". Hell, that was bad. This energy was way too strong, it left me in bad shape for a week. I have manipulated such strong energy before, but always outside of my body, not touching it with my skin.
I am not a Christian and I wasn't in any psycho state at this meeting. I was just curious. The real difference is, that I am consciously aware of my etheric body and everything that happens to it, good or bad. Dunno what other people do with sensory input from their etheric bodies. This is not a thing of belief, although belief might help if the etheric perception is below the threshold of consciousness because of unbelief in such things. The etheric sensory input might be in the great majority of data that our brain processes subconsciously. Everyone should be capable of learning this. I believe it must be much easier that what we commonly achieve in life - like learning a foreign language, learning to drive, etc.

You felt what you wanted to feel or what you expected to feel. Placebos can feel real without being real and all depend on the gullibility of the person wanting to feel something.

Lum, I give you no special treatment just because you are a nice guy. You are in the same boat to me as all the other people who come in here with their unfounded claims. If you had something, it would be WIDELY testable beyond conspiracy and every major science organization and every major credible university would teach/test it it as serious science.

Falling for a show only means you fell for a show and their are really great salespeople, but all being a salesperson means is that you are good at selling something, even if it is crap.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You felt what

Brian37 wrote:

You felt what you wanted to feel or what you expected to feel. Placebos can feel real without being real and all depend on the gullibility of the person wanting to feel something.

I know that, fortunately this is not about wanting. My etheric sensitivity is inborn, I remember having it as a small child, long before I had any idea what's going on or that it is something unusual among people. I never wished for the chi energy to exist, it was always there and is there every day of my life. I can't wish for something that I already have.

Brian37 wrote:
Lum, I give you no special treatment just because you are a nice guy. You are in the same boat to me as all the other people who come in here with their unfounded claims. If you had something, it would be WIDELY testable beyond conspiracy and every major science organization and every major credible university would teach/test it it as serious science.

Hey. I'm on a beginning of life journey yet. I have other priorities for now than advancing the science. That is, to live a stabilized life on my own, in a stabilized world. I need money to pay for food, dorm rent and tuition. This is why for now I have the Chi stuff as a hobby, I discuss it with people, learn about science, learn about esotericism, write down ideas, try minor personal experiments, try to meet with useful people, and so on. 

You want to prove physically something that is not yet recognized as physical thing, that's quite a lot. There is having something and having something. People who use stuff like Chi have the Chi itself, but they have no idea whatsoever what it is and how it works, much less in scientific terms. They don't care, they just use it and live their little lives. They can't explain in scientific terms why Chi moves in them, but does not move an arrow on some meter. It may be widely testable, but first someone must have an idea what exactly we are trying to test. It's an interesting dead-end. Scientists might study Chi, understand it and make it physically testable, but first they need a physical evidence for it.

Brian37 wrote:
Falling for a show only means you fell for a show and their are really great salespeople, but all being a salesperson means is that you are good at selling something, even if it is crap.

I'm afraid to go out unless I can surely prove my claims. For that, I won't regret many years of preparation and study. The more skepticism I see, the longer I want to prepare. There are certain people my family knows, who lost everything they had because they failed to sell their scientific discovery. They were alone and had no backup plan, just like me. I'm not gonna speed things up, safety goes first.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I should add, for

I should add, for Lumininon's beneffit, that the labelling of part of AC current or voltage as 'imaginary' is purely because the mathematics of complex numbers works well when applied to AC circuit theory, as a way to take account of the magnitude and phase angle of AC quantities.

Each waveform can be expressed as an in-phase and 90 degree phase component, with the 90 degree bit identified with the 'imaginary' part of a complex number.

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

100percentAtheist wrote:

Luminon wrote:

OMFG!

Fucking magnets!

The 'imaginary' component of the current in AC power is that which is 90 degrees out-of-phase with the voltage, normally called the 'reactive' component. It actually conveys no net energy, since it represents the current flowing through inductive and capacitive components in the circuitry, which do not dissipate energy, but just temporarily store it in magnetic or electric fields, and then put it back into the wiring, on each half-cycle of the AC voltage.

By definition, the imaginary, reactive component of AC power is not lighting the LED.

My first thought about lighting the LED was that the guy has a power supply connected to his arms.  The body resistance is large, BUT the current needed to light up the LED is really small and the natural body resistance can be low enough for the LED .... especially if one has wet hands.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

100percentAtheist wrote:

Luminon wrote:

OMFG!

Fucking magnets!

My first thought about lighting the LED was that the guy has a power supply connected to his arms.  The body resistance is large, BUT the current needed to light up the LED is really small and the natural body resistance can be low enough for the LED .... especially if one has wet hands.

That is plausible, I think.

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:I should

BobSpence1 wrote:

I should add, for Lumininon's beneffit, that the labelling of part of AC current or voltage as 'imaginary' is purely because the mathematics of complex numbers works well when applied to AC circuit theory, as a way to take account of the magnitude and phase angle of AC quantities.

Each waveform can be expressed as an in-phase and 90 degree phase component, with the 90 degree bit identified with the 'imaginary' part of a complex number.

This is likely too hard for someone who does not know "waveform" "in-phase", and complex numbers.

... but some like to through in air "science-sounding" terms having no clue what they mean.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

This is likely too hard for someone who does not know "waveform" "in-phase", and complex numbers.

... but some like to through in air "science-sounding" terms having no clue what they mean.

Yeah, I know, if they want it clarified, I can try, but obviously not time or space to give all the background info to get someone up to speed on this.

Which is why it is so frustrating when people like Luminon glance thru something on a technical or scientific subject, pick up on a few words and think they have some insight into the subject...

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:BTW, I have

BobSpence1 wrote:

You beat me by a long shot there.  I understand what volts and amps are from a physics perspective, but where it comes to wave forms and their applications I'm pretty lost.  I'm more into digital electronics.

Whatever this guy is using, though, I'd love to have one.  You say it's some kind of small and powerful electrostatic generator?

If you wouldn't mind telling me more, I'd be keen to learn.  I'd *really* like to know how he might be grounding this device (doesn't it have to be grounded?) if you have any ideas.  Or are his shocks alternating between positive and negative charge, and storing the potential in some kind of capacitor... Alright, I might have just answered my own question.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
It must be a cold day in

It must be a cold day in hell...I agree with Luminon on this one.  

I think he explained it perfectly in post #12... especially about how dangerous this 'stuff' is in the hands of an amateur and without the guidance of a Master. The entire martial arts system is designed around this concept - there are steps in the learning process and you can't build your skills unless you have a firm foundation in the basics and understand the principles behind the techniques. This is why certain Masters will not teach what they know to any old neophyte or, some skeptic off the street.

Another thing... these people doing the documentary experienced something that felt like electricity but, it's not. It's not the same thing as what comes out of the outlet on a wall and this is probably why it can't be detected by any known scientific instruments... they're using the wrong tools.

As far as this being 'woo', while there isn't any way to scientifically verify the existence of chi, that doesn't mean it's not there. ROFLMAO - I know, I sound like a theist defending the existence of god!

Consider the practice of planting by the phases of the moon... some say it's nonsense but, I did it a few years in a row and I know it works. It's taking the basics and going beyond - just as chi does.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

What do You make of it?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:It must be a

Sandycane wrote:

It must be a cold day in hell...I agree with Luminon on this one.  

I think he explained it perfectly in post #12... especially about how dangerous this 'stuff' is in the hands of an amateur and without the guidance of a Master. The entire martial arts system is designed around this concept - there are steps in the learning process and you can't build your skills unless you have a firm foundation in the basics and understand the principles behind the techniques. This is why certain Masters will not teach what they know to any old neophyte or, some skeptic off the street.

Another thing... these people doing the documentary experienced something that felt like electricity but, it's not. It's not the same thing as what comes out of the outlet on a wall and this is probably why it can't be detected by any known scientific instruments... they're using the wrong tools.

As far as this being 'woo', while there isn't any way to scientifically verify the existence of chi, that doesn't mean it's not there. ROFLMAO - I know, I sound like a theist defending the existence of god!

Consider the practice of planting by the phases of the moon... some say it's nonsense but, I did it a few years in a row and I know it works. It's taking the basics and going beyond - just as chi does.

They claimed it was lighting that LED, so it is detectable by simple electronics. That had to be something that could be detectable by an electrical meter. So you are contradicting yourself.

The rifle shot thing was also big red flag - nothing obviously connected to any of the other things they were claiming, and a well-known trick.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:They

BobSpence1 wrote:

They claimed it was lighting that LED, so it is detectable by simple electronics. That had to be something that could be detectable by an electrical meter. So you are contradicting yourself.

The rifle shot thing was also big red flag - nothing obviously connected to any of the other things they were claiming, and a well-known trick.

I don't see a contradiction. Just because chi can sometimes present a similar result that electricity does, doesn't mean it is exactly like electricity. My Starling sounds exactly like me but, he's not me.

Chi is just one part of Oriental Philosophy and traditional Oriental medicine. Acupuncture, Chinese Tonic herbs, meditation, Tai Chi, etc... all are methods of improving the mind and body and achieving a balance necessary for optimum health.

Chi is just as valid as Yin & Yang.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
The chopstick through the

The chopstick through the table at the end of the video also has nothing to do with electricity and can obviously be a simple magic trick. The fact that he had to push it up from below the table (so that we can't see what's happening) makes me even more skeptical.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Sandycane wrote:
I don't see a contradiction. Just because chi can sometimes present a similar result that electricity does, doesn't mean it is exactly like electricity. My Starling sounds exactly like me but, he's not me.

Your assertion that, "...this is probably why it can't be detected by any known scientific instruments..." contradicts the fact that he was lighting the LED. Whatever "it" was, it can be detected by a little light bulb.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

GodlessMonk
atheist
GodlessMonk's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry.

All that makes me think of this:

www.youtube.com/watch

Or this:

www.youtube.com/watch

Robb

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Nope, I had it several years ago at my electronics classes. Then I had read a lot on devices drawing energy from surroundings. Theoretically, all electricity comes from surrounding vacuum. According to them, a turn of generator does not push the electrons in wire like groats into sausage. It disturbs local vacuum that closes the disturbance by filling it up with energy that moves the electrons a little bit and then we have to turn the generator once more because the energy was allowed to be lost.
So, the energy is around us...

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I take Darren Browns

I take Darren Browns suggestion over chi power  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLw8SVpoN5U

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:

Luminon wrote:

OMFG!

Fucking magnets!

LOL 100%

Luminon, The complex number set is just like any other number set, an abstract representation of a physical concept. "Imaginary" was a slur given to i by a stubborn few who thought it an impossible idea to define a square of a negative. Like all good science "i" doesn't need its name to prove anything, the adoption of the term imaginary by mathematics is more like a a facetious nod to the history of complex math than any kind of concession that the number is any more imaginary than the reals.

On the real number line you have a couple of defined operations that you should know, each of these describes a thing you "do" to the number to transform it into anther number. To transform 5 to 8 on the real number line, add 3 (ie, move three units along the positive direction) to transform your 5 to 20 you multiply by 4 (ie move in the positive direction until you have four of what you started with).

In the complex plane i is no different to a number on the real line, it is a unit of measure existing in a direction in which one can operate to transform a number. There has to be a difference though, or you would simply have an analogue of the real number line, no point to that, is there? The difference is simple, though, instead of across units of magnitude in the horizontal like the number line, i just takes you 90 degrees away from your starting point. The basic operations are the same as with the reals, if you add i to i you get 2i that is, two units upward on a plane and you can also multiply i's together to take you around the plane 90 degrees at a time.

The important thing to remember is that 'reals' are no more real than the amounts of stuff they refer to in the world just like "imaginaries" (i,j,k) are no more imaginary than the directions they denote in physical space.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:BobSpence1

Sandycane wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Chi is just one part of Oriental Philosophy and traditional Oriental medicine. Acupuncture, Chinese Tonic herbs, meditation, Tai Chi, etc... all are methods of improving the mind and body and achieving a balance necessary for optimum health.

Precisely - no validity worth talking about.

If it can activate a LED, when the leads are touched, that means it affects silicon electronic junctions the same way that electricity does. Which means a digital meter which uses the same things, just without emitting light in the process. 

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon

Luminon wrote:

100percentAtheist wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Nope, I had it several years ago at my electronics classes. Then I had read a lot on devices drawing energy from surroundings. Theoretically, all electricity comes from surrounding vacuum. According to them, a turn of generator does not push the electrons in wire like groats into sausage. It disturbs local vacuum that closes the disturbance by filling it up with energy that moves the electrons a little bit and then we have to turn the generator once more because the energy was allowed to be lost.

Nope, it definitely does not come from the surroundings, it is in the conducting materials and the space immediately around, in the form of displaced electrons.

The energy comes from either chemical processes in batteries, interaction with moving magnetic materials in ordinary generators, photons of light hitting photo-voltaic cells, and so on.

In generators, the energy comes from whatever is causing the shaft to rotate, into mechanical energy of rotation, then via interacting with the magnetic field into electrical energy, which causes one end of the circuit to becoming positively charged relative to the other end.

Propagation of the energy and forces to move the electrons along a wire is driven by the forces defined by Maxwell's equations.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:  Chi is

Sandycane wrote:

That's why I purposely avoided specific martial arts that attempted to predicate success in combat based upon the use of chi or any similar esoteric forces.    When I was younger I chose Muay Thai for it's utter pragmatism and it's simple reliance upon the use of meat and bone as effective weapons. No chi required.

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Luminon

Luminon wrote:

100percentAtheist wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Luminon,

Between 17th and 18th minutes of the following video you can watch an experiment of generating electricity out of ... nothing more than the magnetic field of the earth. 

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-02-electricity-and-magnetism-spring-2002/video-lectures/lecture-17-motional-emf-and-dynamos/

You can watch all Walter Lewin's lectures if you want to learn electricity and magnetism.

100%

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 butterbattle wrote:If

butterbattle wrote:
If anyone can do these types of things, and it just requires training, why won't even one of these "chi masters" demonstrate their abilities in a real controlled experiment, rather than these stupid anecdotes and magic tricks. All it would require is for even one person to do this consistently.

Trivially possible.

I happen to be a green belt and I can do stuff that most people would blanch at. Really, once you get there, stuff is not that big of a deal.

Bobspence and Blake have it down. It is all about the physics. Breaking boards is not that big of a deal. Getting yourself “psyched up” to the point where it seems reasonable is where it is at. Once you are there, you just put your hand through stuff and it will happen.

Yah, six boards requires an explosive level of power. Far beyond one board. Still, such is in the range of human physiology. If the test is for a chi master to do that which is not physically possible, the test may be seeing one jump so high that they land on the moon.

As far as Sandycane's video goes, I can tell you that I have not done the paving tiles. “Master” (for what it is worth) will not put me there unless I accept a brown belt. In order to do that, I have to become a teacher of the woo. I will not go there. However, I will note that in the video, they use cinder blocks as stands but nobody is breaking real cinder blocks. Those are engineered to be pretty strong and thus probably not the sort of thing that one may trivially put a hand through.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Also, here after minute

Also, here after minute 43, you can watch lighting out bulbs without wires and even without an ac current. 

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-02-electricity-and-magnetism-spring-2002/video-lectures/lecture-4-electrostatic-potential-and-electric-energy/

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
 How do you put a chopstick

How do you put a chopstick through a table or light a bit of paper on fire?

Well, before I left the woo behind, I spent a few years in the occult. I am not going to say what specific people are doing but I will quote from “Magick in Theory and Practice” by Alistair Crowley.

Alistair Crowley wrote:
If I wish to prepare one once of chlorate of gold, I will need the correct amount of gold and the correct amount of the right acid to meet my goal. If I wish to amaze my audience, then standard magician's techniques are the tool to do what I require

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

Trivially possible.

I happen to be a green belt and I can do stuff that most people would blanch at. Really, once you get there, stuff is not that big of a deal.

Bobspence and Blake have it down. It is all about the physics. Breaking boards is not that big of a deal. Getting yourself “psyched up” to the point where it seems reasonable is where it is at. Once you are there, you just put your hand through stuff and it will happen.

Yah, six boards requires an explosive level of power. Far beyond one board. Still, such is in the range of human physiology. If the test is for a chi master to do that which is not physically possible, the test may be seeing one jump so high that they land on the moon.

As far as Sandycane's video goes, I can tell you that I have not done the paving tiles. “Master” (for what it is worth) will not put me there unless I accept a brown belt. In order to do that, I have to become a teacher of the woo. I will not go there. However, I will note that in the video, they use cinder blocks as stands but nobody is breaking real cinder blocks. Those are engineered to be pretty strong and thus probably not the sort of thing that one may trivially put a hand through.

Also, did you see that they leave sizable gaps between the blocks?  So, those guys are NOT penetrating 10 blocks with their hands, but they simply crash blocks one by one.

I knew one guy who liked to crash a few bricks every time he visited us, so I did not like to see him much at our place (bricks cost money).  He was a SWAT team commander.  Died of drugs and alcohol abuse at ~45. 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

That's why I purposely avoided specific martial arts that attempted to predicate success in combat based upon the use of chi or any similar esoteric forces.    When I was younger I chose Muay Thai for it's utter pragmatism and it's simple reliance upon the use of meat and bone as effective weapons. No chi required.

i'm a fan of the samurai arts myself, which used to be taught as a comprehensive whole, but are now split up (and diluted) into several disciplines.  these include jujitsu, aikido, judo, kendo, and iaido, among others.  most of them rely on using the opponent's own momentum to defeat them with a minimum of exertion or impact on your part.  the japanese did have some hoo-ha about ki, but it was fairly tame.  it was mostly just their way of explaining pressure points and physics.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
 100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:
Also, did you see that they leave sizable gaps between the blocks? So, those guys are NOT penetrating 10 blocks with their hands, but they simply crash blocks one by one.

I knew one guy who liked to crash a few bricks every time he visited us, so I did not like to see him much at our place (bricks cost money). He was a SWAT team commander. Died of drugs and alcohol abuse at ~45.

Yah, they put little strips of wood in between the blocks. So momentum is going to part of the physics at hand.

Let me see some guy break a bit of granite. I will not say that it is not possible. But if it happens, it is going to be a matter of basic physics.

A quarter inch thick sheet sound like something that might happen. A six inch cobblestone? Not so likely.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
 BobSpence1 wrote:Should

BobSpence1 wrote:
Should have had someone like James Randi or Joe Nickell along for that, scientists are not good at detecting fraud.

Hence the reason why peer review is essential to science.

Allow me to put the term “peer review” into common parlance:

Some scientist comes up with some idea that may well be the next great thing. Or it might not be. To get a bit of work accepted, the guy needs to have other people look over his work to see if he made some critical error that he, himself, is just not seeing.

So the publisher will run it past a few people who work in the same area and if it still sounds good at that point, it will get published.

Then it goes live to the world of science. Anyone may try to duplicate the work. If most people can get the same results, then it is probably good. If few people can get the same results, then that is a clue that the general idea needs to be rethought.

As much as I dislike the metaphor, I recognize that this is “preaching to the choir”. Even so, the general process of peer review can be encapsulated as the line “Does this look right to you?”

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Yah, they put little strips of wood in between the blocks. So momentum is going to part of the physics at hand.

Let me see some guy break a bit of granite. I will not say that it is not possible. But if it happens, it is going to be a matter of basic physics.

A quarter inch thick sheet sound like something that might happen. A six inch cobblestone? Not so likely.

Strength of materials.  Paving stones are not designed to take a shear load.  They are useful to walk on - and even then, the underlying surface had better be flat or the stone will break from people walking on it and it trying to bend to conform to the underlying surface.

Same with concrete blocks - they are strong for compressions loads if you place the block correctly.  What happens when you try to use concrete blocks on their side?  They break.

Bricks - compression strength, not shear strength. 

Shear force is a force along a plane - as if you are attempting to cut through something with a pair of scissors.  Compression force is a force like putting a heavy weight on top of something - like stacking bricks one on top of the other to build a house.  And please note - if you build with bricks, you have to stack them in a pattern so that all the bricks are not all facing the same way and so that the wall is more than one brick thick.  If you have a single layer of bricks, it is a decoration, the real load is supported by the wall behind the bricks.

"Chi" or "ki" is just a way of helping you visualize and focus.  I never got into it, as I can't meditate worth a damn.  My brain just won't shut up and focus.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can relate to the

I can relate to the skepticism, I'm a skeptic, too. And, I'll admit that the chopstick-through-the-table, catching the bullet, lighting the paper on fire and lighting the bulb appear to be cheap circus tricks ..and maybe, in this case, they are BUT that doesn't mean that chi is not real.

You guys are saying someone can't possess something called chi unless they have supernatural abilities, like splitting a 6" piece of granite with their skull. I don't believe there is anything supernatural about it - it's something everyone has and your abilities are dependent on your level of study and practice.

During a belt test, I broke three pine boards stacked (no spacers). When I attempted 4, I broke my hand.  I'm 5'4" and, at the time, weighed 105 lbs... so, it wasn't brute strength that broke the boards. It was focused concentration and technique that did it.

'Chi', imo, is an energy we all have but, without proper training, it goes unused and unnoticed.

You keep saying chi is identical to electricity and if it exists, it should be detected and registered using the same equipment. It's not the same thing.

Going back to my Starling, who sounds exactly like me, his 'voice' can be recorded using the same equipment that can record my voice and you probably couldn't tell which voice is mine and which is the birds. But, if you look at the biology of both of us, I have vocal chords and my lips move when I speak, the bird's doesn't, yet, our voices appear to be identical.

As for the guy who broke the boards and paving blocks...how many of you can do that? I know I can't... but, if we had the same training as him, we could.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
 Yah Sandy, you are sort of

Yah Sandy, you are sort of where I am at. I have chi and I use it when I need to.

Granted, breaking boards is not something that I do often but where I work, there are lots of cardboard boxes that need to be broken down. Most people will spend too much time trying to rip the boxes apart. I put the right amount of physical force into the weakest part of the box and it falls apart.

Actually, I use the same basic visualization as breaking boards for that task. Aim for a part that is beyond what you are trying to hit. If you are going for a weak spot, the box is going to break. If you try to hit the wrong part of the box, well, nothing astounding will happen.

@cj:

Yah, it is all about the physics. Over the summer, I had a landscaping job at work. It involved cutting flagstone in a straight line. My supervisor (who in a former drill sergeant) could only make a mess of the deal. Basically, he had the idea that being intense makes shit happen.

He is actually one of the best people I have ever worked under. If he says “do this” I know exactly what he wants and I do it. However, if the task is cutting a hundred layers of sedimentary rock, then just blasting away at the task is only going to make a mess.

I can cut flagstone in a straight line. It is a slow process but I get results that going ape shit will not do.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:You guys are

Sandycane wrote:
You guys are saying someone can't possess something called chi unless they have supernatural abilities,

Well, that's not what I'm saying.

If "chi" is something that can't be observed or measured, then it's definitively supernatural i.e. it exists outside the observable universe and cannot be evaluated by science. It's not that you can't have "chi" unless you have supernatural abilities; the "chi" itself would be the supernatural concept. 

Sandycane wrote:
'Chi', imo, is an energy we all have but, without proper training, it goes unused and unnoticed.

You keep saying chi is identical to electricity and if it exists, it should be detected and registered using the same equipment. It's not the same thing.

Going back to my Starling, who sounds exactly like me, his 'voice' can be recorded using the same equipment that can record my voice and you probably couldn't tell which voice is mine and which is the birds. But, if you look at the biology of both of us, I have vocal chords and my lips move when I speak, the bird's doesn't, yet, our voices appear to be identical.

As for the guy who broke the boards and paving blocks...how many of you can do that? I know I can't... but, if we had the same training as him, we could.

What the man did to the scientists and patients in the video is ostensibly an electric shock, and the fact that he lighted an LED just makes it even more probable. It might not have shown up on the voltmeter for any number of scientific reasons. I don't know the science here too well, but I also hypothesize that the people moving their limbs could also be a response to the electricity or simply due to him putting calculated pressure on certain nerves. Both techniques might be uncomfortable, which might explain why the baby cried when touched. In any case, referring to some sort of substance called "chi" here is unjustified and very counter-inductive. 

Breaking boards is a different matter entirely; it has nothing to do with electricity. It's just F = M * A. If you have enough F, you can break the board. If "chi" here refers to anything at all, it's just the force with which you strike the board and the toughness of the body part that you used to do it; in that case, it doesn't make much sense to just call it an "energy." Of course, this requires training, but all it is is subjecting your body to stress so that you gain muscles, increase your bone density, develop calluses on your skin, etc., as well as practicing and focusing so that you know how to and will exert the most force on the part of the board that will most easily break it.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chi is not energy, certainly

Chi is not energy, certainly not in the sense in which electricity is a flow of energy. It is a more metaphorical usage of the term.

It appears to be a mind technique for focussing your effort for maximal peak impact, or for other actions which involve similar coordination of physical action.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Well,

butterbattle wrote:

Well, that's not what I'm saying.

If "chi" is something that can't be observed or measured, then it's definitively supernatural i.e. it exists outside the observable universe and cannot be evaluated by science. It's not that you can't have "chi" unless you have supernatural abilities; the "chi" itself would be the supernatural concept. 

Let's have a bit of zen philosophy. If a tree falls in the forest but nobody is there to hear it, does it still make a sound? If some people are aware of their chi energy but no scientist is there to measure them or he didn't yet figure out how to, are they still aware of their chi energy?

The rational skeptical lot is usually not fond of dualists, but you seem like one. Things are either black or white, natural or supernatural, knowable and observable or absolutely unknowable and unseen. If there would be any truth in chi energy, scientists would already know all about it, despite of the fact that they have no idea what is 80% of material universe made of.

OK, I got a bit sarcastic here, but did it ever occur to anyone that things like chi energy or life itself might depend on dark matter around us? Scientists explored so much of the material universe, so that they now stumbled upon the less material part of it. If there is any interaction between it and our matter, then life would surely make use of it during the course of evolution. Notice, that there are many concepts like chi or prana, and this vital energy is absorbed from surroundings in ways like concentrated breathing, it's not primarily generated by the body itself. It is processed in several main centers along the line of spine (near major endocrine glands) and distributed around by channels. No wonder that this stuff is elusive, just like dark matter is. But it is not supernatural... only that the concepts of the supernatural itself were built on its basis.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Chi is not

BobSpence1 wrote:

Chi is not energy, certainly not in the sense in which electricity is a flow of energy. It is a more metaphorical usage of the term.

It appears to be a mind technique for focussing your effort for maximal peak impact, or for other actions which involve similar coordination of physical action.

Ummm, no.

Everything you ever or never wanted to know about Chi (Qi)

You can take it or leave it but, you can't redefine it.