Induction "debate"

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Induction "debate"

Just wondered how many here, if any have been following my 'debate' with some strange person, obsessed with the "problem of induction", here, in thread

http://www.rationalresponders.com/why_the_problem_of_induction_really_isnt_a_problem_and_why_theists_dont_even_get_it_right

I have seen no others commenting...

I would be interested in some other opinions.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:I suspect

BobSpence1 wrote:

I suspect that they weren't necessarily the smartest guys around at the time, but they either had the best charisma, or PR, or whatever, so they are the ones we remember.

They were the smartest. You would have to read some of the other stuff (fragments) from the time. Imagine Socrates being the smartest guy in the room, and you have an idea of the horror. 5th BCE, bad; 21st century good.

Aristotle at least came up with the first real rules for logic. Democritus could have been lucky with his hypothesis, but since he had the first parts of entropy pretty close AND had an atomic theory, the testing method is the only thing that was missing.

Basically cavemen with advanced crafts. Like steaming thin layers of ivory on statues for ultra-realistic skin. Very cool, but that's not germ theory, transistors, or any of the freaky shit that Tesla invented.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence