Sonic Drive-in Complaint!

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sonic Drive-in Complaint!

I stopped at Sonic this afternoon and parked in the first slot, facing the front of the building with the big window. While I'm looking around, waiting for my burger, I read what's painted on the window:

'He Died For You!'

In big red letters, with white lilies, doves and a sunburst.

Made me want to vomit!

When I got home, I sent an email to the company and received this reply:

We are very sorry that your 10/16/2010 visit to the Sonic Drive-In in XXX, Tennessee did not live up to expectations and are grateful to you for telling us about it. If people like you did not bring these matters to our attention, we would never be able to fix them. We have forwarded your comments to the appropriate store supervisor for the location that you visited. If you have any further concerns in the future, please share them with us. Our goal is to continuously improve the Sonic Drive-In experience and to keep you as regular guest.

Sincerely,
Sonic Drive-In
Customer Service Manager

Obviously an automated reply and if it is up to the individual store manager to remove it, it won't be removed, I'm sure.

I guess all I can do is check on it in a few days and if it's still there, complain again.

Any other suggestions?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well, four things come to

Well, four things come to mind.

Napalm.

Flame thrower.

Thermite.

How about if you print out a copy of the “Atheist bus ad” and tape it over the sign with enough postal tape that it will not run in the rain?

If you do that at like four in the morning, the manager probably will not notice for quite a while.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where can I see a copy of

Where can I see a copy of this 'atheist bus ad'?

Problem is, I entered my name and address in the complaint form...they'll know who did it.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Any other

Sandycane wrote:

Any other suggestions?

Stop going there.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
When I can get a delux Jr.

When I can get a delux Jr. burger and watermellon creamslush for $2???

Not possible. I'll make a big stink before that happens.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:I'll make a

Sandycane wrote:
I'll make a big stink before that happens.

How big of a stink are you willing to make?

0. Find out if they are an equal opportunity employer (They are, I just did this in about two seconds on Google)

1. Document it fully (the sign), and get some witnesses to back it up.

2. Apply for a job there (customers have no legal complaint about this kind of thing, but employees do under equal opportunity laws)

3. Be very clear about your atheism in your job interview and your concern about discrimination

4. If your state is one with one-party consent for audio recording, record your interview (if it is all party, do NOT record it, as this would be illegal)

4. When you aren't hired, sue them.

5. If you are hired, sue them.

This will probably cost you a few hundred dollars, but they will almost certainly remove the sign in settlement, and if anybody but the owner put it up, that person may be reprimanded.

If you want to get the owner:

6. Sue the corporate franchise for having policies that allow or promote religious discrimination.  This may result in the owner having his or her franchise rights revoked, which would be a loss of tens of thousands of dollars for said person (due to loss of franchise rights), and probably result in bankruptcy if said owner isn't extremely well off throughout this current recession.  If you can do this successfully, you might get a cash settlement too, if discrimination can be proved.

7. Of course you don't really want to work at Sonic- quit the job when you're done.

Disclaimer:  I'm not your lawyer, and none of the above shall constitute formal legal advice; please seek legal council, etc.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Excellent suggestion. I can

Excellent suggestion. I can do that.

I'll take a few baby steps first though, like wait and see if he voluntarilly removes it this week. If not, I'll contact the corporate office again and make them aware of my determination to have the sign removed - without getting specific of course.

If they don't comply, then I'll move on to your 'Plan B'.

Thanks you!

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mission accomplished! Guess

Mission accomplished!

Guess what? I just received a phone call from the manager of the Sonic drive-in. She said she removed the sign and apologized for offending me. Woo-hoo!

I told her I appreciate that and that I just felt it was inappropriate and that I probably wasn't the only one who felt that way. I also said that if they were going to do that sort of advertizing, they should give equal time to all religions, like the Muslims. 

Gee whiz, that was easy.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Mission

Sandycane wrote:

Mission accomplished!

Guess what? I just received a phone call from the manager of the Sonic drive-in. She said she removed the sign and apologized for offending me. Woo-hoo!

I told her I appreciate that and that I just felt it was inappropriate and that I probably wasn't the only one who felt that way. I also said that if they were going to do that sort of advertizing, they should give equal time to all religions, like the Muslims. 

Gee whiz, that was easy.

A long time ago, I was working at a secure manufacturing facility - security guards all over.  And I had to go to the "Security Shack" one day for something, don't remember exactly what.  There was a sticker on the window of a very voluptuous woman with little squiggles around her ass like she was wriggling it.  The caption read - "Keep your eyes on the badge."  It ticked me off.

I started by complaining to my manager.  He said he didn't see anything wrong with it.  I said, fine.  I notice there are a number of women security officers and I would be surprised if they were all distracted by other women.  And I was reasonably certain there was a possibility some of the men were not distracted by women.  Perhaps they should have another sticker on the window with some hot young stud in tight jeans with squiggles around his ass.  Next time I went by the shack, I noticed the sticker was no longer in the window.

I didn't think of this argument with your story, because your issue is about religion - and for some reason, I thought it wouldn't be as effective in your situation.  Glad to see I was wrong.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
That sticker would have

That sticker would have offended me, too. Sexist. I don't like seeing those 'girly' calendars in mechanics garages either but, if it's privately owned, I figure live and let live...and I just go elsewhere or ignore it. This case was different.

I'm just glad the people at Sonic don't know what I look like - I'd have to give up my watermellon creamslushes because I'd be afraid they would spit in them.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Spit for Jesus. 

Spit for Jesus.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Thanks, I believe you just

Thanks, I believe you just gave Theists the right to campaign to take down the atheist bus ads.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Thanks,

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Thanks, I believe you just gave Theists the right to campaign to take down the atheist bus ads.

Everyone already has the right to do that.  The issue is whether private corporations value a particular ideology enough to risk offending someone.  Sonic clearly did not.  If a local Sonic manager put up a big scarlet "A" and a link to an atheist friendly site I'm sure the upper level people would make them take that down as well.  I'm sure many private advertising companies would turn down atheist friendly ads.  Not as many would turn down religious ads, but that is their right either way.

The only reason the atheist bus ads work is they are usually publicly owned ad-space, so the government owners cannot discriminate based on religious content.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote: The only

mellestad wrote:

The only reason the atheist bus ads work is they are usually publicly owned ad-space, so the government owners cannot discriminate based on religious content.

I thought the bus companies in America were privetly owned, ergo I did not have an issue with them going up, however seeing as they are a government organization, then yes, they shouldn`t go up and the government CAN discriminate based on religious content, because the government cannot endorse any one religion or lack there of, therefore the atheist ads shouldn`t go on buses nor should Muslim ads or Christian ads.

After all, if the government can put up atheist ads, then that means they can have religious content on government property and then how can we atheists demand the Ten commandments removed from Federal or State buildings?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Oh and to avoid confusion, I

Oh and to avoid confusion, I don`t mean people don`t have the right to complain, but they shouldn`t make their complaints sound like legal supenas.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
At least you guys can run ads

They were rejected here recently by the country's largest outdoor advertising company APN which didn't want its name associated with atheism for fear of alienating other customers.

The offending ads read: Atheism: Sleep in on Sundays. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

They were rejected here recently by the country's largest outdoor advertising company APN which didn't want its name associated with atheism for fear of alienating other customers.

QED

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

QED

I'm confused...below your name it says 'Atheist' yet you seem to have a problem with my requesting Sonic to remove their religious propaganda from their store front which makes me think you are on the side of the theists.

Do you think that religious crap should be allowed to be plastered on front walls of Sonic drive-ins ? 

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Do you think

Sandycane wrote:

Do you think that religious crap should be allowed to be plastered on front walls of Sonic drive-ins ? 

You should have asked two questions here:

Do I like it ?

and

Do I think it should be allowed ?

The answer to the first is no, and the answer to the second is yes.

The point I`m trying to raise and why I posted the  "QED"  [which means "it has been shown that"]at the end of atheistextremist`s post is the fact that atheists are the minority. A lot of things atheists do offends theists. But guess what? Too bad for them. Just because they`re offended doesn`t mean that they can stop the blasphemy challenge and that`s a good thing.

Demanding the passage be removed just because you are offended [For the record, you have every right to be offended and express it, but to demand the company take it down is wrong] shows that`s it`s okay to remove offensive thing and guess what that means? We atheists lose. We are the minority. I don`t speak out against taking down offensive things to benefit Theists, I do it for atheists.

So no, I don`t have to like the passage or Christianity or theism to say they have the right to put it up and that`s a good thing.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

mellestad wrote:

I thought the bus companies in America were privetly owned, ergo I did not have an issue with them going up, however seeing as they are a government organization, then yes, they shouldn`t go up and the government CAN discriminate based on religious content, because the government cannot endorse any one religion or lack there of, therefore the atheist ads shouldn`t go on buses nor should Muslim ads or Christian ads.

After all, if the government can put up atheist ads, then that means they can have religious content on government property and then how can we atheists demand the Ten commandments removed from Federal or State buildings?

The government is not putting them up, they are being paid for ad space.  Legally, they have to 1) Provide access equally to all religious content or 2) Not allow any of it.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sorry, Sandy.

Sandycane wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

QED

I'm confused...below your name it says 'Atheist' yet you seem to have a problem with my requesting Sonic to remove their religious propaganda from their store front which makes me think you are on the side of the theists.

We are having a 2-dimensional comms issue. I'm saying at least in the USA you can run ads on buses promoting atheism. In Australia they were refused for fear of offending the godly. On the OP, if I saw a sign on the restaurant promoting any god or deity I would never return. I'd prefer my money to go to a godless person. In any case, well done on getting the sign removed.

Ed: Sorry - thought that was at me but it's Capt P. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Where can I

Sandycane wrote:

Here you go:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

Do I like it ?

and

The point I`m trying to raise and why I posted the  "QED"  [which means "it has been shown that"]at the end of atheistextremist`s post is the fact that atheists are the minority. A lot of things atheists do offends theists. But guess what? Too bad for them. Just because they`re offended doesn`t mean that they can stop the blasphemy challenge and that`s a good thing.

Demanding the passage be removed just because you are offended [For the record, you have every right to be offended and express it, but to demand the company take it down is wrong] shows that`s it`s okay to remove offensive thing and guess what that means? We atheists lose. We are the minority. I don`t speak out against taking down offensive things to benefit Theists, I do it for atheists.

So no, I don`t have to like the passage or Christianity or theism to say they have the right to put it up and that`s a good thing.

I think I see your point, and I disagree with your opinion. Seems like you're saying, 'Let the theists display their propaganda so we can continue to display ours'.

Personally, I would rather both be removed (so no one is offended) than to have to see the religious crap on display... Better to offend no one than to offend everyone, imo.

Btw, I never 'demanded' the sign be removed nor did I threaten a law suit, as someone else here suggested when I asked for opinions. I stated my objection to the company in a respectable manner and since the sign was removed, I'm led to believe that they agreed with me, that it was inappropriate.

I would also add that if it had been close to Easter or Christmas, I most likely would have ignored it but, this was an obvious 'in your face' propaganda pitch and it was inappropriate for this type of business. If it was a Mom & Pop place, I would not have said anything and simply would not patronize their establishment. This was different.

I can't wait till Xmas, when the Wal Mart clerks start spouting 'God bless you' at the check-out counter, like they did last year and I said nothing about it!

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: We

Atheistextremist wrote:

We are having a 2-dimensional comms issue. I'm saying at least in the USA you can run ads on buses promoting atheism. In Australia they were refused for fear of offending the godly. On the OP, if I saw a sign on the restaurant promoting any god or deity I would never return. I'd prefer my money to go to a godless person. In any case, well done on getting the sign removed.

Ed: Sorry - thought that was at me but it's Capt P. 

Thank you.

I am a bit pleased with the success of my minor mission.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

Here you go:

Hah! I love it! Where can I get one? I'm tempted to put one in my front yard.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Mission

Sandycane wrote:

Mission accomplished!

Gee whiz, that was easy.

Congratulations, good job!

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

Do I like it ?

and

The Constitution allows it, Sonic Corporate doesn't.  No chain franchise like Sonic would condone it as it is not in the business of religion, it sells burgers.  Their business relies heavily on being able to cater to all people, not just 70% of the population who aren't offended by the notion that their money is being used to promote religion on the front door.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:The

Sapient wrote:

The Constitution allows it, Sonic Corporate doesn't.  No chain franchise like Sonic would condone it as it is not in the business of religion, it sells burgers.  Their business relies heavily on being able to cater to all people, not just 70% of the population who aren't offended by the notion that their money is being used to promote religion on the front door.

Be glad she didn't go to In N Out

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Cpt_pineapple

Sapient wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

Do I like it ?

and

Exactly, it is a private business.

Although they do have the right to put that up, as a private business, like you said, they are not in the religion business and I would suspect that this is a franchise owner, or even a store manager who did not ask the corporate side if they could do it. Corporate probably would have said no. My guess is that this sign wont be up long, if the complaint filters up high enough. It would depend on the person reading the complaints and how much they really want to do their job, even if they do believe.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if you found shit like this at Chic Fil Ass and their corporate head ok'ed it.

On the other hand, my former owners where I work had bible quotes on the place mats. It didn't offend me because I was allowed to speak freely about my atheism with the other co-workers, and NO ONE was allowed to talk about religion to the customers UNLESS the customer brought it up first.

We now have a new owner and new place mats, WITHOUT the bible quotes. I do like the fact that the new boss is a bit younger and not religious, or at least not anywhere nearly religious like the old boss. The business has not suffered in the least as a result of removing the bible quotes.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Congratulations Sandycane! 

Congratulations Sandycane!  Good work Smiling

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Umm... no.  This is very different.  Sonic was probably violating the law.  If sonic offered advertising space for anybody to use, and either rejected all religious advertisements, or accepted them all without any bias, then that would probably be fine.  This was direct endorsement by the establishment, which opened up corporate to law suits of religious discrimination (which would not have been hard to prove).

Of course they made the manager take it down- it's probably against their rules (to comply with the law, and avoid discrimination law suits).

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

That's bullshit.

Yes, most are privately owned, but operate by grace of local government contracts- so they (like companies with equal opportunity employment) are required to follow certain practices (such as non-discrimination).  They would be open to law suits if they played favourites, so they *must* allow all of the adds, or none of them.  They could reject an add that seemed worded in a certain way- just not based on its religious context (in any case, it's risky).

I emphasized the real problem- that is that the government CAN promote irreligion, it just can't mandate it.  The government can NOT promote any religion, however.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

Does "under god" in the pledge respect an establishment of religion- yes, it does.  Does posting "there's probably no god" respect an establishment of religion?  No.  It might disrespect many religions, but is serves a secular purpose (it's true), and does it prohibit the free practice of religion?  No, it does not.

In accordance with the wording of the bill of rights, the government can express fact contrary to all religion- it simply can not support any of them.  If were against the constitution that government states the obvious and simple facts with which some religions disagree, then public schools would be illegal; we couldn't dare educate people in anything, because some religion somewhere is going to contain dogma contrary to what we're teaching. 

What's the difference in teaching the fact of evolution to a Christian v.s. the fact that his or her god doesn't exist?  That's the difference in teaching the facts of gravity to a FSMist than teaching that the FSM doesn't exist?  None, really.  In neither case is the person forced to believe it or stop practicing- and most importantly, it serves a secular purpose (education on reality).

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

You may not understand this, but religion and irreligion are inherently different.  Irreligion contains all facts about our world independent of prescriptivism.  Religion is prescriptive (at its best, as mere philosophy), and expressive of additional impossible and supernatural facts (at its worst, as it is usually practiced).

We have every right to endorse education about evident reality over superstition- every right to strike down illegal endorsements of religion- and it isn't the least bit contradictory to, at the same time, promote irreligion and fight those who try to stop us in court.

Sonic is an equal opportunity employer- they are legally bound to maintain a non-discriminatory work place.  That discriminatory practice is illegal- simple as that.

The government is not prohibited from endorsing reality (see public education), but it is prohibited from endorsing religion- it just can't force people to accept reality or cease their religious practices, no matter how much it may encourage them to do so.

We won the large part of that battle when the Bill or rights was ratified to protect our secular nation- now we just have to see to it that the courts hold the government to it.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Sapient

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Sapient wrote:

No comparison between a 'discretely placed' bible book name and chapter number printed on the bottom of cups and a 12' x 12' biblical mural plastered on a store front.

Besides, I've always liked:

1 Corinthians 13:13—"And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love."

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the congrats,

Thanks for the congrats, Sapient and Blake.

I feel like I've earned my place on the forum now.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Exactly, it

Brian37 wrote:

Exactly, it is a private business.

Although they do have the right to put that up, as a private business, like you said, they are not in the religion business and I would suspect that this is a franchise owner, or even a store manager who did not ask the corporate side if they could do it. Corporate probably would have said no. My guess is that this sign wont be up long, if the complaint filters up high enough. It would depend on the person reading the complaints and how much they really want to do their job, even if they do believe.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if you found shit like this at Chic Fil Ass and their corporate head ok'ed it.

On the other hand, my former owners where I work had bible quotes on the place mats. It didn't offend me because I was allowed to speak freely about my atheism with the other co-workers, and NO ONE was allowed to talk about religion to the customers UNLESS the customer brought it up first.

We now have a new owner and new place mats, WITHOUT the bible quotes. I do like the fact that the new boss is a bit younger and not religious, or at least not anywhere nearly religious like the old boss. The business has not suffered in the least as a result of removing the bible quotes.

Oooh! You just reminded me of somewhere else I've seen bible verses posted on windows: the First National Bank drive-through window. Not a good idea to be a shit disturber where I do my banking ,though.

ps: I love the smilie collection on the forum!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Allison, you just made 4chan

Allison, you just made 4chan for that....

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Why?

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'm a little confused about

I'm a little confused about this thread. You're complaining that sonic had this ad but when aigs put the bus ad up you're ready to offend all the christians in your neighborhood? I'm trying to get my husband to get off his lazy ass (joke) and make me a flying spaghetti monster xmas decoration for my yard. I'm all for doing what I wanna do in my own damn yard, but how is it ok for you to bitch about what the owner of sonic does and turn around and want to do the same thing? Ps. Not being rude but I find this a little bit contradictory

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hi 'Becca

rebecca.williamson wrote:

I'm a little confused about this thread. You're complaining that sonic had this ad but when aigs put the bus ad up you're ready to offend all the christians in your neighborhood? I'm trying to get my husband to get off his lazy ass (joke) and make me a flying spaghetti monster xmas decoration for my yard. I'm all for doing what I wanna do in my own damn yard, but how is it ok for you to bitch about what the owner of sonic does and turn around and want to do the same thing? Ps. Not being rude but I find this a little bit contradictory

I tend to agree somewhat with both sides of this debate. It's a little fraught. I would not want god stuff shoved in my face at dinner but as the Captain points out, if we want our stuff they must be allowed their stuff. A key issue is whether or not such a thing should be endorsed by a place of business. I think not. Others argue yes, as long as it's equal. But I think we would all agree we should be allowed to have our signs in the public domain so long as they do not threaten or vilify those whose opinions are opposed to us. Mention of dying (for our sins) and being saved (from a lake of fire) to me carries a serious implicit threat and an implicit moral judgment that my minister-son bias finds very hard to tolerate.

No threats, no vilifications, public domain only (including front yards) and I am fine with it.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Answers

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Why?

If I told you, I would have to kill you.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

If I told you, I would have to kill you.

pwetty pweeze?

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson wrote:I'm

What you're missing is that isn't not the same thing- not even remotely.

The "same thing" from the other side would be to start a Sonic, and post a sign that said "Atheists are better than Christians" and then expect Sonic corporate to ignore that, and to expect that none of the Christians who applied to work there would have grounds for a law suit if they wore a cross to the interview and were denied employment for 'unknown' reasons.

Those Christians would very much have grounds for a lawsuit- they could point at the sign, and their obvious Christianity during the interview, as evidence of employment discrimination.

Any Christians working there could also file a charge of religious harassment on the job, because they're being told every day by that sign that they are not as good as the Atheists working there.

If Sonic were not an equal opportunity employer by law (this in and out burger place is equal opportunity "by choice", as they say, so they are probably exempt), then they could legally post all of the bigoted religious material they wanted.

Make any sense?

Not the same thing- even remotely- as an atheist group paying for public advertisement space.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Try our new McFlesh waffers,

Try our new McFlesh waffers, made from real human flesh, remember "He died for you" and boy is he yummy.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:I think I

Sandycane wrote:

I think I see your point, and I disagree with your opinion. Seems like you're saying, 'Let the theists display their propaganda so we can continue to display ours'.

Personally, I would rather both be removed (so no one is offended) than to have to see the religious crap on display... Better to offend no one than to offend everyone, imo.

Btw, I never 'demanded' the sign be removed nor did I threaten a law suit, as someone else here suggested when I asked for opinions. I stated my objection to the company in a respectable manner and since the sign was removed, I'm led to believe that they agreed with me, that it was inappropriate.

I would also add that if it had been close to Easter or Christmas, I most likely would have ignored it but, this was an obvious 'in your face' propaganda pitch and it was inappropriate for this type of business. If it was a Mom & Pop place, I would not have said anything and simply would not patronize their establishment. This was different.

I can't wait till Xmas, when the Wal Mart clerks start spouting 'God bless you' at the check-out counter, like they did last year and I said nothing about it!

It is impossible to avoid offending anyone. People get offended at the most ridiculous shit. If someone offends you, just don't go to their business and if it is a place you really want to go to do what you did and let management know you are offended. If they want your business they will change, if not then be a hypocrite and get your burger anyway. Just don't tell them it is you .

@ Blake-

You would have a really hard time in court proving that the sign creates a hostile working environment independent of some other actions of management. If the company decided to fight it you would probably lose. Even if you were not hired it would be extremely tough to get any kind of case going as long as they don't ask any questions about religion and can point to a few employees of different religions, which I'm sure they could easily do. Of course, a company like Sonic would probably remove the sign as soon as the hint of lawsuit but if it was my business and my atheist sign I would take it to SCOTUS if I had to and probably win. Thats why we should have loser pays so BS lawsuits aren't filed in the first place.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson wrote:I'm

That's okay, I didn't think you were being rude and I can see where it appears to be contradictory...

First, I said 'I'm tempted to put one in my front yard.' I think it's a great ad and I would be tempted to put it up in my yard but, the reality of the consequences of doing so would prevent me from actually doing it. I live in the bible belt, I have neighbors and friends who are Christian and, most importantly, I need a job and am thinking about opening my own business from my home. How smart would it be to advertise the fact that I think religion is BS just because I think it is? Not at all.

I bet that Sonic was more concerned with it's bottom line than the religious beliefs of it's franchise owner - and I was right.

Another point, as others here have mentioned, it's one thing to state your opinions on your own private property and another to do it in a place of business open to the general public. Of course, it's impossible to never offend anyone but, when you are running a business, you damn well better try or, you're going to lose some of your customers. That's why I feel it's better to (try to) often no one instead of allowing everyone equal opportunity to be offended.

Even though atheism is not a religion, it is a personal belief and I think it should be held to the same restrictions that I think religion should be held to: Don't shove it in other peoples' faces - especially those of a different belief. Just common courtesy. There are some things, I think, that don't need to be made public knowledge... which reminds me of an old Italian saying, which fits perfectly in this situation:'Don't shit where you eat'.

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Personally I think I would

Personally I think I would put that bus ad in my front yard. Of course I have some of the nosiest neighbors and I know I'm labeling people but I have to think they are christians. I say this because my next door neighbor and her company stare like they've never seen a girl before. I guess the fact that I have hot pink and teal hair doesn't help lol.

I'm opening my own business from home as well. It's taking forever but I'll get there eventually and good luck with yours too. I'm going to promote atheist items as much as posible. It's not atheist based but I am trying to see what I need to do in order to have the rights to sell these items.

Anyway, what I was getting at is religion isn't going anywhere. I'm from the bible belt myself. Driving on I10 from Missisippi all the way through mid Florida you see all these billboards about religion. Anything from "he saves" to " I knew you before you were concieved" with a big fat jesus finger pointing at a fetus. My solution: a paintball gun. I would love nothing more than to ride through there at 2am and pop each and every one of them.

The problem is I would more than likely go to jail. I wonder if I caught anybody vandalizing my spaghetti monster I could hqve them arrested? I guess I'll find out this xmas lol.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson

Personally I think I would put that bus ad in my front yard. Of course I have some of the nosiest neighbors and I know I'm labeling people but I have to think they are christians. I say this because my next door neighbor and her company stare like they've never seen a girl before. I guess the fact that I have hot pink and teal hair doesn't help lol.
I'd say it's the hair.  If I were younger, mine would be those colors! I like the new Scene Kid look too. I have been using more black eyeliner.

Quote:
I'm opening my own business from home as well. It's taking forever but I'll get there eventually and good luck with yours too. I'm going to promote atheist items as much as possible. It's not atheist based but I am trying to see what I need to do in order to have the rights to sell these items.
You mean 'copy rights' or, legal rights? I would think you could sell them as long as the copyright owner agreed. Good luck with your business, too!

Quote:
Anyway, what I was getting at is religion isn't going anywhere. I'm from the bible belt myself. Driving on I10 from Missisippi all the way through mid Florida you see all these billboards about religion. Anything from "he saves" to " I knew you before you were concieved" with a big fat jesus finger pointing at a fetus. My solution: a paintball gun. I would love nothing more than to ride through there at 2am and pop each and every one of them. The problem is I would more than likely go to jail.
Only if you got caught. Wink wink.  I know what you mean and I've had the same thought while driving past those signs. There is a large vacant field on the side of the highway on the way to Wallyworld that used to have about 500 little white crosses planted in the field with a sign about abortion. I never found out who did put them there but, it has all been removed.

Quote:
I wonder if I caught anybody vandalizing my spaghetti monster I could hqve them arrested? I guess I'll find out this xmas lol.
Absolutely!

ps, I love your avatar...that's the difference between art and porn. Isn't her name Betty something?

Edit: Found her: Bettie Page, http://www.bettiepage.com/about/about.php

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why not a compromise instead

Why not a compromise instead they put up:

'He went into suspended animation for 3 days for you'.

You know truth in advertising.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Yeah I love Bettie Page and

Yeah I love Bettie Page and my intent is getting copyrights to sell her stuff too. I found a guy who can do the screen printing as long as I do so one down and idk how many to go. I'm also doing the "tobaco" products but I'm trying the online thing first. This way for the ones who don't like to smoke and don't like atheist stuff, they have an alternative. Oh and I'm 32 I just refuse to get old lol.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson

Yeah I love Bettie Page and my intent is getting copyrights to sell her stuff too. I found a guy who can do the screen printing as long as I do so one down and idk how many to go. I'm also doing the "tobaco" products but I'm trying the online thing first. This way for the ones who don't like to smoke and don't like atheist stuff, they have an alternative. Oh and I'm 32 I just refuse to get old lol.

Sounds like what I used to call a Head Shop. There was a great one in the town where I grew up in NY. They had everything from bell-bottomed Cheep Jeans (triple stitched!) to incense, pipes and black light posters. I loved the 70's!!! I don't know how many pipes I bought - my mother used to sneak into my room and steal them. Wonder what she did with that collection?!

I didn't see your avatar picture on Bettie's web site...is it Photoshopped?

At 32, you're a long way from 'old'!

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Sapient

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Sapient wrote:

If you have ever been to In N Out and had a double-double you'd never even know there was a verse on it as the food oozes all over the wrapper. And who ever looks at the bottom of a cup?

One use of In N Out Burger bumper stickers was to cut off the B & r in burger resulting in In N Out Urge.

This resulted in the company changing burger to much smaller letters and relocating it.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Sapient wrote:

If you have ever been to In N Out and had a double-double you'd never even know there was a verse on it as the food oozes all over the wrapper. And who ever looks at the bottom of a cup?

One use of In N Out Burger bumper stickers was to cut off the B & r in burger resulting in In N Out Urge.

This resulted in the company changing burger to much smaller letters and relocating it.

Some people are just sooo creative!!!

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:@

Beyond Saving wrote:

@ Blake-

You would have a really hard time in court proving that the sign creates a hostile working environment independent of some other actions of management. If the company decided to fight it you would probably lose.

Not necessarily- a large part would depend on the judge, and the particulars of the case.  If there were other atheists on staff- that the owner knew were atheists- then that could be an argument against hiring discrimination; though the chances of that are at least somewhat unlikely.

As far as a hostile working environment goes, though, this is still a fairly hot issue today, and the Supreme court is a little murky on it.

You can find numerous new and old documents and articles on it- a quick Google search gives me this as one of my first hits:

http://ecmappdlv03.law.nyu.edu/ecm_dlv3/groups/public/@nyu_law_website__journals__journal_of_legislation_and_public_policy/documen...

That's actually a pro-religious 'proselytism and special treatment' article bitching about the Supreme court's interpretations of harassment and discrimination not giving preferential treatment to religion, but it makes the point.

that article wrote:
because of the power differential between employers and employees, courts tend to view an employer’s religious expression as inherently more coercive than the religious expression of employees.[...]

courts are more concerned with prohibiting hostile work environment harassment than with accommodating religious employees.[...]

Second, the Supreme Court has been reluctant to read Title VII in a manner that would provide religious employees with “preferential”
or “special” treatment[... it] is not an oversight, but rather a specifically articulated policy.[...]

The Court took pains to reach the conclusion that Title VII was enacted to prohibit
employment discrimination generally and not to provide religion with any favored treatment.

And that is to say, religious harassment is no different than sexual harassment in the eyes of the courts.

that article wrote:

The guidelines state that sexual harassment which does not result in an economic injury is nonetheless actionable if “such conduct has the purpose or effect of
unreasonably interfering with an individual’s work performance or creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive working environment.”

[...]

As explained in Part I, the Supreme Court determined that in sexual harassment cases the plaintiff must prove that the harassment
was “unwelcome,” a requirement which recognizes that some sexual comments in the workplace are, in fact, welcome.237 This differs from
cases of race-based harassment, national origin harassment, and animus- based religious harassment, where the unwelcome nature of the
speech is presumed.238

Courts which determine that a speaker should realize that his or her non-animus-based religious expression is unwelcome focus on Title VII as a broad anti-discrimination statute and treat non-animusbased
religious expression which others find harassing the same as racist, sexist, or other bigoted comments.

That is to say, they're bitching about the fact that in cases of sexual harassment, one may need to make it clear that the advances are unwelcome- while in cases of religious harassment- even, possibly, in cases where it isn't hate based- e.g. being constantly told about Jesus and how you should convert to be saved, or being constantly invited to church despite your rejections of the invitation.

I'm not keen on spending all evening reading court precedent on posters and sexual harassment, but here are a few links for you:

http://www.berea.edu/cataloghandbook/sturegs/srr/sexualharassment.asp wrote:
Visual conduct that can be harassing includes such actions as leering, staring at certain body parts, displaying sexual objects, offensive posters or pictures.

http://www.mypersonnelfile.com/harassment/sexual-harassment wrote:
Visual harassment includes exhibiting sexually-oriented visuals (e.g., posters, drawings, photos, clippings, screen-savers or emails of a sexual nature, such as pictures of nude or scantily-dressedwomen or men.

In other words, if the poster were sexual instead of religious, seems like most companies have policies against those kinds of thing- and those policies probably follow from court precedent.  And remember, as established, sexual and religious harassment are treated similarly.

As I said, I don't have time to read all night, but from what I've skimmed, all I can see if conservatives complaining about how the courts are interpreting religious harassment.

I haven't come across anything that would indicate such a lawsuit would be a likely loss- particularly if a complaint had been lodged (in which case it would be very likely to be a successful harassment suit). 

And in the case of the employer, and not just another employee, participating in the harassing action (hanging such an advertisement as a clearly coercive endorsement) WITH a complaint from the employee- do you really think a court would ignore that? 

Even with a conservative judge, it's very likely that kind of thing would be ordered down, as it has no place in that workplace.

I'm not sure what I need to do to convince you that the poster in question is not O.K.