The Real Reason Jesus Was Crucified

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Real Reason Jesus Was Crucified

ScienceDaily (Aug. 20, 2010) — You know those goody-two-shoes who volunteer for every task and thanklessly take on the annoying details nobody else wants to deal with?

That's right: Other people really can't stand them.

Four separate studies led by a Washington State University social psychologist have found that unselfish workers who are the first to throw their hat in the ring are also among those that coworkers most want to, in effect, vote off the island.

"It's not hard to find examples but we were the first to show this happens and have explanations for why," said Craig Parks, lead author of "The Desire to Expel Unselfish Members from the Group" in the current Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

The phenomenon has implications for business work groups, volunteer organizations, non-profit projects, military units, and environmental efforts, an interest of Parks' coauthor and former PhD student, Asako Stone.

Parks and Stone found that unselfish colleagues come to be resented because they "raise the bar" for what is expected of everyone. As a result, workers feel the new standard will make everyone else look bad.

It doesn't matter that the overall welfare of the group or the task at hand is better served by someone's unselfish behavior, Parks said.

"What is objectively good, you see as subjectively bad," he said.

The do-gooders are also seen as deviant rule breakers. It's as if they're giving away Monopoly money so someone can stay in the game, irking other players to no end.

The studies gave participants -- introductory psychology students -- pools of points that they could keep or give up for an immediate reward of meal service vouchers. Participants were also told that giving up points would improve the group's chance of receiving a monetary reward.

In reality, the participants were playing in fake groups of five. Most of the fictitious four would make seemingly fair swaps of one point for each voucher, but one of the four would often make lopsided exchanges -- greedily giving up no points and taking a lot of vouchers, or unselfishly giving up a lot of points and taking few vouchers.

Most participants later said they would not want to work with the greedy colleague again -- an expected result seen in previous studies.

But a majority of participants also said they would not want to work with the unselfish colleague again. They frequently said, "the person is making me look bad" or is breaking the rules. Occasionally, they would suspect the person had ulterior motives.

Parks said he would now like to look at how the do-gooders themselves react to being rejected. While some may indeed have ulterior motives, he said it's more likely they actually are working for the good of an organization.

Excluded from the group, they may say, "enough already" and simply give up.

"But it's also possible," he said, "that they may actually try even harder."

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah - I know.

There probably was no Jesus. But it's interesting to think that if there was we'd probably hate the prissy bastard.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
codependents?

They sound like co-dependents. "If I do for others what they should do for themselves they will be happy and then I will be happy". Instead it winds up being a situation where both are resentful. It certainly is breaking the game. We are suppose to compete but this guys is throwing the game and favoring this one or that one by giving them points.

This one would be only one of the symptoms why I will hate the prissy bastard Jesus and it would be much farther down the list. He set the stupid game up and continually violated all the game rules so it becomes do as I say not as I do.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is funny how humans will

It is funny how humans will tear down others because of their own insecurities. Not that this has anything to do with a zombie god.

Jesus as a story, as a character, does not raise the bar. It is a scapegoat character that allows people to make mistakes. Not that humans, outside the bible should be sentenced to death for making mundane mistakes outside the issue of crime.

What is horrible about the Jesus myth is that it takes human behavior and conflates its it to comic book status and not for selfless reasons, but selfish reasons. If the Jesus character were truly selfless then why the need to be noticed?

Doing the right thing is doing it even when no one is watching. Jesus isn't doing it for humanity, he/god/himself/split personality, is doing it to gain club members for daddy/himself.

Jesus "HEY LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT WHAT I AM DOING FOR YOU"

If we pretend that this character existed for example sake only I would tell the bastard he should have skipped the theatrics and simply snapped his magical fingers and ended crime, disease and war, without sitting on his hands and without expecting to be the center of attention.

The reality is that good and bad happen without comic book myths by any name, past or present. And it does not take fictional sky daddies, by any name, to be selfish or selfless. Human behavior is the full range of the good things we do for each other and the bad things we do to each other.  Our species is capable of both selfish and selfless behavior.

Humans invent god/s to explain mundane human reality. There is no invisible thinking being with no location or material that resides or cares about what humans do. Humans are not the center of the universe and the planet has no capability of giving a shit if we believe in a god or not.

Jesus may have been a character inspired by a real individual or group of people. It is most likely not the case, but under no circumstances did any human ever get born without two sets of DNA and no human has ever survived rigor mortis.

"god or God" is merely a human utterance reflecting our own human qualities ignoring that it is nothing but a reflection of our species narcissism.

We as a species are important to ourselves, mainly important to those we are close to. We are not important to the planet, or the solar system or the universe.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have writ this 'afore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian 37 wrote:   "Jesus may have been a real charactor inspired by a real individual or group of people.  It is most likely not the case, but under no circumstances did any human ever get born without  two [2] sets of DNA and no human has ever survived rigor mortis." 

Now did I say the or; did Brian 37 type it?

Jesus, or Joshua Bar Yuseph, or  Jesus son of Mary,  or any other of the 10 or so names "IT" was known by:   was NOT a singular person.  Unless you can read the bible with blinders and eye patches.   Let us start with  'Matt: 5: [the beatitudes]  )(  blessed are the meek for they shall...........etc. etc.etc. This sounds like Mr. {Fred} Rogers and his neighborhood [childrens show] versus Matt: 10: 34 to 39  and jesus said "I do not come in peace,  but with a sword to raise havoc............ etc. etc. etc..  this version of Jesus or Joshua  sounds more like Mr.T [I pity da fool...........]

Then there is 'Jesus the Nazarene'   which some editor of the bible in the forth  century confused with Jesus OF Nazereth,  Nazareth did not exist,   and Nazarenes were extemley conservitive;  they did not  "party",  nor  "drink" nor engage in "un-Jewish activities"; Yet Jesus was not only drinking wine but if you buy into this bible thing  Jesu-jesus-joshua-christos-savior-whatnot- ....etc.  turned water, pure clean water, into wine;  just so the party could  'carry on' for another week,   ] now imagine modern day Mormans haveing Las Vages show girls dance  topless at the alter during a family service in Salt Lake City{   it would be the same thing.   Both ARE NOT going to happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jesus was not only a conglomeration of several }different people{  most of those 'different' people were fucked up and disgusting;   just read the bible if you don't believe me;   read the bible:  we need more atheists and nothing will get you there faster then the bible.   

Thanx to Penn jillette for the last line.

That amounts to five [5] different personality traits,   with only two [2] sections of one book {Matthew} and one {1} section of one book {revelations}.  Now tell me [ or anyone]  how meny more  -different persons-- can you I D   from other books of the bible?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote: Now did I

Jeffrick wrote:

THAT'S IT, I AM GOING TO SUE YOU, YOU STOLE MY LINE!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Brian37 wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

Now    now don" t   sue me!    I  always  give credit where credit is due.   OR:  I' ll give you the dollar three ninty-eight now  verses  wasting $10,000 on a lawyer .     Did hell freeze over or did I say that?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:Brian37

Jeffrick wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

Don't bother, I borrowed that motif "did I think that" as a concept  from when Homer Simpson would ask himself if he actually said something and then Marge or someone else would say, "yes you did say that".

Now    now don" t   sue me!    I  always  give credit where credit is due.   OR:  I' ll give you the dollar three ninty-eight now  verses  wasting $10,000 on a lawyer .     Did hell freeze over or did I say that?