So excited to find like minded minds....

KerrynWood
KerrynWood's picture
User is offlineOffline
So excited to find like minded minds....

Hi all, great to have stumbled upon this site when i googled, 'anti christian quotes'!!! woohooo, did i sure find some meaty bits to cover my facebook page in....yay....

I'm about a third of the way thru Christopher Hitchen's 'God is NOT Great' and loving it: it's got me up on my soap box and spouting loud and proud about the need to iradicate relgion...period.

Looking forward to meeting and discussing and learning from within these online walls. Thanks!!

ps - was it just a fluke that when i had to retype the letters in the box to make sure i was human and not a hacker, it was 'godsend' ??? lol pretty funny methinks......Shocked

Kerryn

"Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organised religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience." Christoper Hitchens

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

We have a Rich Wood here, any relation. I'm in Canada welcome a board.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pleased to meet you, Kerryn.

There's good community here. Have fun.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome - have fun while you

Welcome - have fun while you are here.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
KerrynWood wrote:Hi all,

KerrynWood wrote:

Hi all, great to have stumbled upon this site when i googled, 'anti christian quotes'!!! woohooo, did i sure find some meaty bits to cover my facebook page in....yay....

I'm about a third of the way thru Christopher Hitchen's 'God is NOT Great' and loving it: it's got me up on my soap box and spouting loud and proud about the need to iradicate relgion...period.

Looking forward to meeting and discussing and learning from within these online walls. Thanks!!

ps - was it just a fluke that when i had to retype the letters in the box to make sure i was human and not a hacker, it was 'godsend' ??? lol pretty funny methinks......Shocked

Kerryn

Hold on there Dirty Harry, I love Hitchens too, but I get a lip twitch when I hear people say, "iradicate religion".

First off ask anyone here how politically correct I am, being the South Park, Dave Shapel fan

I am, and my politically correct atheist counterparts( I am an atheist too) on this site would give you a  ear full.

"HOW" would you suggest we get rid of religion? Force? Didn't work when Hitler tried it, doesn't work when Muslims try it.

I think the only approach humans can take when they think they have it right is to let the words fly, let the claims get kicked around and blasphemed. The only empathetic approach to "end" a bad claim of any sort, isn't to force it out of existence, but to allow ANY claim the sunlight of scrutiny and challenge.

I am on your side. Santa for adults has held back humanity. But we must not get caught up in the same "us vs them" mentality atheists accuse theists of.

I take much the same approach as Hitchens does in not sugar coating life. But believers are not a separate species. They are the same species and many atheists here have family members, friends and co-workers who do believe.

I hated Jerry Falwell. I used to live in the same city, and on a couple of occasions spotted him and wanted at that moment to give him an earful. But, if I had come across this asshole if he had been in a car accident and need aid, there would be no debate at that time, he is still a human and I would lend him aid.

We do a disservice in advocating the end of religion, by not making the distinction between open debate and force. A Jeffersonian approach will suffice. Let the believers spew their absurdities and protect their rights to spew their absurdities, and protect them as fellow humans in any case and let the ability to test and question be our weapon.

"My way or the highway" is what religion and fascism advocate. The ability to question is the cure to absurdity.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think we are going

I don't think we are going to get rid of religion, but I do think we can make a difference. I happen to have posted this on my fb profile recently:

Welcome aboard.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin