Japanese Couple Married by a..

Zanarkand
Zanarkand's picture
User is offlineOffline
Japanese Couple Married by a..

Japanese couple married by a... Robot!

not by some church dude. now that was a first.

A couple from Tokyo have been married by a robot, in what could be the world's first wedding carried out by one.

Tomohiro Shibata and Satoko Inoue were married yesterday (May 16th) at a restaurant in the Japanese capital, with a 1.5 metre tall IFairy carrying out the ceremony. The robot was dressed in a white breastplate and donned a floral tiara and pigtailed hair for the event.

The pair chose to have their wedding conducted by the unusual priest after they met through the building and selling of the IFairy models. Mr Shibata is a professor of robotics at the Nara Institute of Science and Technology and Ms Inoue works for the firm which builds the system.

Speaking to the Associated Press, the bride said: "This was a lot of fun. I think that Japanese have a strong sense that robots are our friends. Those in the robot industry mostly understand this, but people mainly want robots near them that serve some purpose."

Japan is known as one of the most technologically forward nations on the planet.

http://insidejapantours.com/japan-news/1290/japanese-couple-married-by-robot/

Not only can water float a boat, It can sink it also.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Personally i would of

Personally i would of dressed the robot up as batman.

the robot was a awesome idea. For some reason it doesnt look weird to me.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
The people of Nippon have...

The people of Nippon have... intense fascinations with antropomorphic machines.

(I wonder if anyone else remembers seeing one of these a while back!)

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cool or creepy?  Still

Cool or creepy?  Still undecided. 

JonathanBC
User is offlineOffline
I vote cool, not creepy.

I vote cool, not creepy. Especially because religious figures have dominated the marriage ceremony market. We need more secular options other than getting married on a boat or going to a court house. Options are good, and I don't think ministers should have the wedding monopoly they do. I'd get married by a robot before allowing a religious figure do the honors.