Deep South Shenanigans

Kavis
atheist
Kavis's picture
Posts: 191
Joined: 2008-04-17
User is offlineOffline
Deep South Shenanigans

Over the last month, the fine people at the Itawamba Agricultural High School have proven themselves to be truly despicable bigots.  The latest appalling development saw Constance McMillan invited to a sham prom, attended only by herself, her partner, five other children, and a few faculty chaperons, while the rest of the student body attended a "real" prom elsewhere.   The level of secrecy and conspiracy needed to ensure that the student body (but not Constance or the others) was aware of the "real" time and place of the prom is telling. 

In light of this, I would like to make sure the Itawamba County School District understands how outrageous this entire incident is.  You can contact Teresa McNeece, the district's superintendent, via email ( [email protected] ) or via phone call ( 662-862-2159 ).  If you do choose to contact her about this, please be civil and nonthreatening.  Please contact her or one of the other board members.  Don't let the Itawamba Agricultural High School get away with hate, especially against children allegedly under its care.


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1477
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
you know when know one likes

you know when no one likes you? I mean dam, i would think that would be impossible. surely she must have some friends who would tell her? kids can be cruel and adults to. and i sit back and wonder why they care?

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


Kavis
atheist
Kavis's picture
Posts: 191
Joined: 2008-04-17
User is offlineOffline
Yeah.  It was a shitty

Yeah.  It was a shitty situation before this last stunt, but the fake prom is just.. argawargarbl!

Religion is a virus.
Fight the infection.


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2929
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
That really sucks.

That really sucks.  Wow.

 

In the last thread about this everyone wanted to give these people the benefit of the doubt and I was pessimistic.  Now it turns out that people in that town suck more than I thought they would.

This is all religious bullshit too, it isn't even stand alone bigotry.  Christ, I'm glad I live in the north...it isn't perfect but it isn't like that either.  Barbarians.

 

I wonder how large the school was though?

 

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:That really

mellestad wrote:

That really sucks.  Wow.

Not really.

 

I like the intellectual anarchy demonstrated by the students!

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline
:|

It happened before.

 

There are some areas I will not go to out of fear for my safety. This is one of those areas. Along with the rest of "The South".

 

 

Also, the parents were all involved in this, not just the students. The parents were teaching their kids not only that it is okay to be a bigot, not only that it is normal and acceptable, but that they SHOULD be bigots. Like them.

 

Because they didn't want to see the handicapped and/or gays at their prom.

 

 

 

The judge freaking said they had to let them go to the second, private prom because the public school cancelled the first prom due to being forced to allow gays to attend, and they tried to get around it by saying okay and then making A THIRD prom for everyone to go to. And chaperoned by school officials at that. If I was that judge I'd be pissed.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1477
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:It happened

ClockCat wrote:

It happened before.

 

wow the hell you find that?

ClockCat wrote:

Because they didn't want to see the handicapped and/or gays at their prom.

 

The judge freaking said they had to let them go to the second, private prom because the public school cancelled the first prom due to being forced to allow gays to attend, and they tried to get around it by saying okay and then making A THIRD prom for everyone to go to. And chaperoned by school officials at that. If I was that judge I'd be pissed.

id be more than pissed, this is deliberately going against the courts ruling. isn't there punishment for that? sure they had "the prom" but really it was just a stunt to have her and the few other students not to attend the real prom.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


Kavis
atheist
Kavis's picture
Posts: 191
Joined: 2008-04-17
User is offlineOffline
We're not all like that down

We're not all like that down here in the south, Clock Cat.  :-\


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Kavis wrote:We're not all

Kavis wrote:

We're not all like that down here in the south, Clock Cat.  :-\

Probably not.  But I used to be married to someone from Mississippi, and I wouldn't live down south if paid to.  So I agree with Clock Cat, even though I am straight and white.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline
:|

Kavis wrote:

We're not all like that down here in the south, Clock Cat.  :-\

 

Not suggesting everyone in the south is. I found the urban areas in the south to be similar to a mini-oasis of semi-tolerance and semi-diversity.

 

The problem is there are far too many people that are blatantly open bigots, and not only that, are PROUD of it. I don't want to be dragged off and killed because some guys in a pickup truck feel vindicated that gays "deserve it".

 

I -expect- racism and homophobia in the south because it is so rampant. OTHER people living there expect it. Why else would they come up and start conversations with a stranger (me) with racist and/or homophobic remarks? That never happens to me anywhere else. Why is it I never see the Christian Knights of the Ku Klux Klan marching in the streets of a place like Boston, when they regularly give hate marches in "the south" and the other flyover states?

 

Racism and homophobia are widely tolerated and accepted in the south. Instead of properly feeling ashamed of their ignorance. That makes a massive difference to me. I don't like being painted as an acceptable target for violence.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline
:3

Tapey wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

It happened before.

 

wow the hell you find that?

 

Someone linked to it on Reddit.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Ok I am the ass that will

Ok I am the ass that will look at it from a different perspective. Did the other students want them to be at the prom? Now when you say "yes" don't tell me two or three people did lol. If no one wanted them to go, why would they want to go in the first place? To stir up controversy and trouble? To be let down by human nature? They could spend a quiet evening together somewhere far away from the hate.

It seems like walking into a fire and wondering why you got burned. Like I just did.

I, being an atheist, will not go to a church, not just because I don't believe in all that crap, but also because no one wants me there. I'm well aware of what would go on if I walked into a church and was questioned about my beliefs. They might first try to convert me, then if that did not work, which it wouldn't, they would run me off.

Sound familiar?

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:It happened

ClockCat wrote:

It happened before.

 

There are some areas I will not go to out of fear for my safety. This is one of those areas. Along with the rest of "The South".

 

 

Also, the parents were all involved in this, not just the students. The parents were teaching their kids not only that it is okay to be a bigot, not only that it is normal and acceptable, but that they SHOULD be bigots. Like them.

 

Because they didn't want to see the handicapped and/or gays at their prom.

 

 

 

The judge freaking said they had to let them go to the second, private prom because the public school cancelled the first prom due to being forced to allow gays to attend, and they tried to get around it by saying okay and then making A THIRD prom for everyone to go to. And chaperoned by school officials at that. If I was that judge I'd be pissed.

What if some southerner sexually harassed you? Made lewd gestures towards you?

All I'm trying to say is that there are many Gays and Lesbians down here in the south as well. I'm not one of them, but nonetheless...

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Ok I am the

robj101 wrote:

Ok I am the ass that will look at it from a different perspective. Did the other students want them to be at the prom? Now when you say "yes" don't tell me two or three people did lol. If no one wanted them to go, why would they want to go in the first place? To stir up controversy and trouble? To be let down by human nature? They could spend a quiet evening together somewhere far away from the hate.

It seems like walking into a fire and wondering why you got burned. Like I just did.

I, being an atheist, will not go to a church, not just because I don't believe in all that crap, but also because no one wants me there. I'm well aware of what would go on if I walked into a church and was questioned about my beliefs. They might first try to convert me, then if that did not work, which it wouldn't, they would run me off.

Sound familiar?

Most didn't care if they went to the prom; the 7 that did were fuckwits. It disgusts me that it is still legal to discriminate against homos in some particularly vicious way or another. "Let the guys AND gals and be as they want to be" I say!

edit: nobody gets there posts in order on first attempt.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
If only 7 people didn't want

If only 7 people didn't want them there then those 7 should have had their own little date somewhere else.

I didn't care enough to go to my own classes prom. From what I recall I just drove around with friends and hit several parties and got drunk.  I don't recall a whole lot, because we got quite drunk. I was driving a 72' charger with a hopped up 383, I don't even know how we survived lol.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2929
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Ok I am the

robj101 wrote:

Ok I am the ass that will look at it from a different perspective. Did the other students want them to be at the prom? Now when you say "yes" don't tell me two or three people did lol. If no one wanted them to go, why would they want to go in the first place? To stir up controversy and trouble? To be let down by human nature? They could spend a quiet evening together somewhere far away from the hate.

It seems like walking into a fire and wondering why you got burned. Like I just did.

I, being an atheist, will not go to a church, not just because I don't believe in all that crap, but also because no one wants me there. I'm well aware of what would go on if I walked into a church and was questioned about my beliefs. They might first try to convert me, then if that did not work, which it wouldn't, they would run me off.

Sound familiar?

 

Because for many people the prom is something important, and it is unfortunate bigots took that experience away from these people.

 

I don't blame the kids either, this is pure parental bigotry.  The shitty thing is with parents like these they have enabled another generation of bigots.

 

I'm not a big fan of the south, I don't see what redeeming qualities it has, culturally.  I've never lived there though, only visited, so I'm probably not in a position to make much of a statement.  I've certainly never been impressed though.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline
:|

Kapkao wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

It happened before.

 

There are some areas I will not go to out of fear for my safety. This is one of those areas. Along with the rest of "The South".

 

 

Also, the parents were all involved in this, not just the students. The parents were teaching their kids not only that it is okay to be a bigot, not only that it is normal and acceptable, but that they SHOULD be bigots. Like them.

 

Because they didn't want to see the handicapped and/or gays at their prom.

 

 

 

The judge freaking said they had to let them go to the second, private prom because the public school cancelled the first prom due to being forced to allow gays to attend, and they tried to get around it by saying okay and then making A THIRD prom for everyone to go to. And chaperoned by school officials at that. If I was that judge I'd be pissed.

What if some southerner sexually harassed you? Made lewd gestures towards you?

All I'm trying to say is that there are many Gays and Lesbians down here in the south as well. I'm not one of them, but nonetheless...

 

I would pointedly ignore them, like anyone else that did it. Why?

 

I'm well aware that there are gays and lesbians everywhere. I've spent most of my life in "the south" and loathe it terribly.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline
:|

robj101 wrote:

Ok I am the ass that will look at it from a different perspective. Did the other students want them to be at the prom? Now when you say "yes" don't tell me two or three people did lol. If no one wanted them to go, why would they want to go in the first place? To stir up controversy and trouble? To be let down by human nature? They could spend a quiet evening together somewhere far away from the hate.

It seems like walking into a fire and wondering why you got burned. Like I just did.

I, being an atheist, will not go to a church, not just because I don't believe in all that crap, but also because no one wants me there. I'm well aware of what would go on if I walked into a church and was questioned about my beliefs. They might first try to convert me, then if that did not work, which it wouldn't, they would run me off.

Sound familiar?

 

The PUBLIC school sent out letters that said you can't bring someone of the same gender to the prom. She tried to ask about it and the school refused. She went to the ACLU and they sued on her behalf because the public school cannot discriminate like that. The public school cancelled the prom in response to the lawsuit, rather than holding a prom a gay could go to. 

 

Some parents and members of the school then sent up a private prom for everyone to go to instead. Everyone except the gays. The judge said that the school did not have to reinstate the prom on the assurances that the lesbian girl was allowed to attend the private one that was setup as a replacement for it. The school officials and parents then made ANOTHER prom so they could try and dodge doing what the judge intended, and let the handicapped kids and the lesbian girls attend the "dummy" prom while they went to the new "real" one.

 

The students all accepted her as the bad guy the school made her out to be, the town has made the lesbian girl the villain for going to the ACLU for help and "getting the prom cancelled". They have the mentality of "if she only kept her mouth shut and kept her gay to herself".

 

Basically, they demonized the victim and used it as an excuse for bigotry. And they crossed the judge in the process, which I'm sure he won't be happy about.

 

 

Also, some people..girls especially, often tend to think of proms as a big deal. The same goes for weddings and a host of other ceremonies. If you weren't allowed to have a wedding with your love simply because you were gay...oh.

 

/and these are some of the problems we constantly face in the U.S.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.


B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
Posts: 557
Joined: 2010-03-01
User is offlineOffline
Kavis wrote: Over the last

Kavis wrote:
Over the last month, the fine people at the Itawamba Agricultural High School have proven themselves to be truly despicable bigots.  The latest appalling development saw Constance McMillan invited to a sham prom, attended only by herself, her partner, five other children, and a few faculty chaperons, while the rest of the student body attended a "real" prom elsewhere.   The level of secrecy and conspiracy needed to ensure that the student body (but not Constance or the others) was aware of the "real" time and place of the prom is telling. 

Ahhh... bigotry, just warms the heart doesn't it.

Kapkao wrote:
I like the intellectual anarchy demonstrated by the students!

Intellectual anarchy? I would call it Vichy style corroboration at its most sibling-fucking, hillbilly ass finest.

robj101 wrote:

Ok I am the ass that will look at it from a different perspective. Did the other students want them to be at the prom? Now when you say "yes" don't tell me two or three people did lol. If no one wanted them to go, why would they want to go in the first place? To stir up controversy and trouble? To be let down by human nature? They could spend a quiet evening together somewhere far away from the hate.

It seems like walking into a fire and wondering why you got burned. Like I just did.

I, being an atheist, will not go to a church, not just because I don't believe in all that crap, but also because no one wants me there. I'm well aware of what would go on if I walked into a church and was questioned about my beliefs. They might first try to convert me, then if that did not work, which it wouldn't, they would run me off.

Sound familiar?

I fully agree. I never went to any of my school dances because they were lame. I was out getting fucked up and going to the local punk rock and metal shows. Fuck the idiotic bigots I went to school with. And I went to school in "the north". Bigotry is everywhere, and that girl should understand that she's much better without the asshats that were at that prom. Fuck the prom!

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!


Kavis
atheist
Kavis's picture
Posts: 191
Joined: 2008-04-17
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Ok I am the

robj101 wrote:

Ok I am the ass that will look at it from a different perspective. Did the other students want them to be at the prom? Now when you say "yes" don't tell me two or three people did lol. If no one wanted them to go, why would they want to go in the first place? To stir up controversy and trouble? To be let down by human nature? They could spend a quiet evening together somewhere far away from the hate.

It seems like walking into a fire and wondering why you got burned. Like I just did.

I, being an atheist, will not go to a church, not just because I don't believe in all that crap, but also because no one wants me there. I'm well aware of what would go on if I walked into a church and was questioned about my beliefs. They might first try to convert me, then if that did not work, which it wouldn't, they would run me off.

Sound familiar?

To the left, children are legally required to be in school.  You are not required by law to attend church.  While the prom may not be mandatory, what kind of environment are non-hetero-normative students at this school facing on a daily basis? 

Religion is a virus.
Fight the infection.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Kavis

ClockCat wrote:

Kavis wrote:

We're not all like that down here in the south, Clock Cat.  :-\

 

Not suggesting everyone in the south is. I found the urban areas in the south to be similar to a mini-oasis of semi-tolerance and semi-diversity.

 

The problem is there are far too many people that are blatantly open bigots, and not only that, are PROUD of it. I don't want to be dragged off and killed because some guys in a pickup truck feel vindicated that gays "deserve it".

 

I -expect- racism and homophobia in the south because it is so rampant. OTHER people living there expect it. Why else would they come up and start conversations with a stranger (me) with racist and/or homophobic remarks? That never happens to me anywhere else. Why is it I never see the Christian Knights of the Ku Klux Klan marching in the streets of a place like Boston, when they regularly give hate marches in "the south" and the other flyover states?

 

Racism and homophobia are widely tolerated and accepted in the south. Instead of properly feeling ashamed of their ignorance. That makes a massive difference to me. I don't like being painted as an acceptable target for violence.

I'm in texas, and I have yet to see a kkk anything around here. I lived in san antonio for 2 years, austin for a year and wichita falls and not one sheet headed anyone at all zilch. The kkk thing is small, from what I understand the white supremacist thing is big in prisons, but then again the black panther thing and mexican mafia is in prison as well. A couple of ex cons I know claim the white supremacist prison groups are the most powerful, because they are more organized or some such. But then again this comes from ex cons, so, who really knows.

Sometimes I do think the IQ is lower here, a co-worker today made me aware the he did not know what a "continent" was. He thought it had something to do with Conneticut... A customer, with a very strange haircut (a crop circle on his head) and a big gold medallion hanging from a big gold chain came in today, asked about a second hand item, and I showed him said items we had in stock. The tags on them say "used" and he again asked to see second hand items...I tried to explain that used is the same as second hand..then he asks again to see the second hand stuff..I walked off and left him pondering. IQ has something to do with this mess in the south I believe. I don't think about it much anymore, the school system is pumping this kind of thing out, non thinking morons.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin