Bill Donahue to host "I can't believe it's not pedophilia!"

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bill Donahue to host "I can't believe it's not pedophilia!"

It's not paedophilia/pedophilia... if the kid is older than 12?

(and technically, no it isn't... but damn!)

Quote:

Roberts: Bill is good but you cannot link homosexuality to a pedophilia crisis in the Catholic Church.

Bill Donohue: It’s not a pedophilia… most of the victims were post pubescent…

Roberts: You know…

Donohue: You’ve got to get your facts straight. I’m sorry. If I’m the only one that’s going to deal with facts tonight so be it. The vast majority of the victims are post pubescent. That’s not pedophilia buddy.

That’s homosexuality.

Roberts: Bill, I don’t think as a person of faith that you really know what you’re talking about when it comes to a victim and a survivor. (crosstalk)

Donohue: It’s not of my opinion. Take a look at the social science data. I never said that most homosexuals are that way.

Roberts: No you just said that cut down homosexuals… (crosstalk).

Donohue: Yes! Practicing homosexuals.
--
O’Conner: Sorry Larry, at what age does somebody become, you know, post pubescent in America as a matter of ages?

King: What is the age?

Thomas: Ah… I don’t know. Let’s ask Bill. He seems to be the authority on post pubescency.

Donohue: 12, 13 years of age. Look, all I’m saying (crosstalk).

King: We’re out of time. We’ve just touched the surface. Now we’ve got Anderson Cooper coming on.

(my GFriday contribution; emphasis mine)

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Technically, Bill Donahue is

Technically, Bill Donahue is almost right.

Homosexuality only means a same gender attraction and has nothing to do with age.

Erotic imagery in general is denoted by the suffix “philia” of which there are many categories. Those which are subject to a psychiatric diagnosis are generally called paraphilias and the age related ones are a subset known as chronophilias.

Under chronophilias, there are again several categories. Often they are denoted by age but since different people reach developmental milestones at different ages, it is probably better to go with a developmental point as far as where one falls on the general chronophilia spectrum. However, just for point of discussion, we can call pedophilia an erotic attraction to people between 7 and 12 pedophiles.

There are even two other categories of attraction to children.

Nepiophilia is an attraction to babies (let's say under the age of 3)

Infantophilia is an attraction to older children who have not started school yet (let's say age 3 to 7)

Pedophilila, as noted above would be an attraction to the 7 to 12 age group.

Hebephilia is an attraction to those currently experiencing puberty. Call that ages 12 to 15.

Ephebophilia is an attraction to young people who are basically past puberty. Call that ages 15 to 18.

Teleiophilia is an attraction to adults. It is considered a diagnostic category because some young people are attracted to matured individuals. Students who have the whole “Hot for Teacher” thing going on are the case example.

Past that, there is even Gerontophilia which is an attraction to old people.

So yah, some priests may be pedophiles while others are either hebephiles or ephebophiles. If there is a question about getting abusive priests into the appropriate treatment for a specific condition, then one would need to correctly understand what that specific condition is.

However, there is another factor at work here and that is that some sexual liaisons are inappropriate. As far as that goes, understanding the specific attraction is less of an issue and understanding that a particular sexual liaison is inappropriate is where one should look first.

Consider a case where one adult likes to have straight sex with another adult. The specific liaisons may still be inappropriate. Bill Clinton comes to mind.

Many of his rather well documented sexual encounters have been inappropriate. Even when, as in the case of Monica Lewinsky, the specific is that it was consensual, he still ought to have kept his zipper in the upright position.

Ditto a priest who is working with an adult woman. If she came to the priest for some form of counseling on whatever issue was troubling her, well, it would be abusive of the priest to get her in bed. No question of age is at play here but the abuse of one's position remains. This much is true of the priests who like kids, regardless of where they fall out on the chronophilia spectrum. The abuse of power is at least as much of a problem as the age of the victim.

Look at it this way. If some general 40 year old guy likes to pick up the young thing, that is fine as long as she is at least 18 (depending on specific local laws of course but 18 is generally fair game). If she happens to be 17+51 weeks, then technically he could go to jail but it would be a rare prosecutor who would go there.

On the other hand, if she is 21 and he is her therapist, then we have a huge problem.

As I say, understanding the specific diagnostic category which an abuser falls into is useful in getting the abuser some help may be useful in getting the abuser right with society. However, abuse is still abuse.

And in the case of the RC church, it remains a fact that then Cardinal Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict repealed the old rule (if you keep silent past 30 days, you are summarily excommunicated until you come clean) with the rule that you are forever excommunicated if you break silence before the abuser is beyond the reach of civil law is another problem entirely.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Although I probably shouldn't... (TMI alert!)

I suddenly feel tempted to share my own bizarre experience that I had with an adult woman who quietly followed me inside of a toilet stall in the unisex bathroom at my church... and the fact I didn't feel all that victimized by her behavior save for her rather nasty/sudden invasion of my own personal privacy... amongst other things.

For better or for worse, we didn't make it passed 2nd base, (apparently) because I was a little bit of a stubborn kid back in the early 90s- I could smell her BS coming from a mile away, I was a little shy on the 'fleshy' subjects of life, and she was apparently just starting out on her undoubtedly life-long career of seducing/molesting little boys because she didn't seem to know how to make the moves on me and she made her attempt...

in a bathroom stall of all fucking places!

... and it was a shame because she was quite attractive. She just had the sudden, insatiable cravings for TEH YOUNG, TENDER MEAT... LOLOLZ!

Well... what can I say... I've had female-oriented "Teleiophilia" the moment my sexual identity/orientation became slated in stone. I think the more accurate term for this would be a "mother/father complex" (if any of you don't know what these two things are... GOOGLE!)

I guess what I'm trying to say is...

I have a very unusual conundrum where I apparently know I was 'molested', but I don't necessarily feel I was abused. I'm superweird like that, when it comes to younger guys being sexually liberated by older, randy women.

Ok, enough TMI weirdness from me...

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:I have a very

Kapkao wrote:

I have a very unusual conundrum where I apparently know I was 'molested', but I don't necessarily feel I was abused. I'm superweird like that, when it comes to younger guys being sexually liberated by older, randy women.

While I know you like to be unusual and all that, I must disabuse you of this.  Many, many people don't feel abused even as adults when they are able to comprehend they were molested.  And it goes for women as well as men.  Lots of reasons, but I won't bore you with them.  My knowledge comes from being stuck in an "adults molested as children" group therapy when I didn't qualify as I was never molested.  And boy, did they try to stick the label on me.  I'm teflon coated.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
hehe MORE TMI ON THE WAY

cj wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

While I know you like to be unusual and all that, I must disabuse you of this.  Many, many people don't feel abused even as adults when they are able to comprehend they were molested.  And it goes for women as well as men.  Lots of reasons, but I won't bore you with them.  My knowledge comes from being stuck in an "adults molested as children" group therapy when I didn't qualify as I was never molested.  And boy, did they try to stick the label on me.  I'm teflon coated.

The real crime on her part (with regards to me, and me alone) was not undressing a little while "wiping me off" unnecessarily after I was done urinating. She was a bit of a tease... and, unfortunately, I suspect that was part of her pathological 'act' towards grooming young males towards her personal ends- sexual baiting.

Perhaps it was better that I didn't fall in with her... she may have been the sort of person to abduct little boys from their families after luring them in to the promise of sex.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:The real crime

Kapkao wrote:

The real crime on her part (with regards to me, and me alone) was not undressing a little while "wiping me off" unnecessarily after I was done urinating. She was a bit of a tease... and, unfortunately, I suspect that was part of her pathological 'act' towards grooming young males towards her personal ends- sexual baiting.

Eh, that doesn't even sound illegal.

Sex ("third base" ) is obviously illegal as per statutory rape.  Making out is definitely legal ("First base", and probably "second base" ). 

I'm not sure which side of the line hand jobs fall on.  Probably depends on the state.

Adult women giving hand jobs to adolescent boys... sounds more like charity than molestation.

The important points are the risk involved- for lack of informed consent (assuming minors can not give it), if there are no risks, there's no problem- and the nature of the memories (e.g. traumatic or not).

Whether or not somebody is taking advantage of authority?  Does that really matter to the person on the other end?  If they think they want it, that's about as far as it goes to wanting it (provided there aren't any unknown risks).

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Whether or not

Blake wrote:

Whether or not somebody is taking advantage of authority?  Does that really matter to the person on the other end?  If they think they want it, that's about as far as it goes to wanting it (provided there aren't any unknown risks).

And to clarify- obviously if they don't want it, that's rape. (As in the case of the children molested by priests)

Want, however, in this case must include the leverage of false promises to a certain degree, otherwise we get into quite a slippery slope where the majority of copulation is rape.

If we get into the realm of tricking people into wanting things that they wouldn't otherwise want with false promises... such as a priest promising a woman absolution if she does him a sexual favor--

Well, most men are 'pigs' anyway, and do that kind of thing all of the time in a non-religious context.  How many men promise a relationship, or marriage, or whatever it is when none is pending?

"Authority" is pretty arbitrary in that sense.  Whether it's a carrot of an A on a test, a promotion, absolution from sins, marriage (and thus financial stability in many parts of the world), or the stick of a failing grade, being fired, being damned, or something as common as the threat of breaking up (MANY guys threaten this if the girl doesn't put out- I'd dare say a majority; I'm betting that includes a few people reading this now)-- these are all cases of abused positions of power over the other person by way of having something to falsely offer or threaten with.

Lying to gain sexual favors is a pretty slimy thing to do (although I think lying, period, is about as slimy as it gets anyway), but I don't see any difference between these 'official' positions of authority and the usual crap the average Joe pulls on his sweetheart using the abused position of power that comes from the threat of loss of the relationship.

Does anybody else not see the difference here, or am I missing something that makes it different?

I suppose a guy gets a pass on the lying part if he follows through with the threat and breaks up with her... it's still a kind of shitty thing to do, though.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
dirty weird guys

Blake wrote:

"Authority" is pretty arbitrary in that sense.  Whether it's a carrot of an A on a test, a promotion, absolution from sins, marriage (and thus financial stability in many parts of the world), or the stick of a failing grade, being fired, being damned, or something as common as the threat of breaking up (MANY guys threaten this if the girl doesn't put out- I'd dare say a majority; I'm betting that includes a few people reading this now)-- these are all cases of abused positions of power over the other person by way of having something to falsely offer or threaten with.

Lying to gain sexual favors is a pretty slimy thing to do (although I think lying, period, is about as slimy as it gets anyway), but I don't see any difference between these 'official' positions of authority and the usual crap the average Joe pulls on his sweetheart using the abused position of power that comes from the threat of loss of the relationship.

Does anybody else not see the difference here, or am I missing something that makes it different?

The difference is that infamous psychological experiment where a guy in a white coat tells the subject to torture an actor.  You remember, the actor is supposedly connected to an electric shock treatment of some sort.  The white coat tells the volunteer subject that the goal is to "cure" the actor and the subject must shock the actor.  The actor proceeds to yell when the shock is "small" and "die" if the subject lasts that long.  The surprise was how many usually very nice people "killed" the actor.  Further surprise was the years of therapy the subjects needed.

That's nice people.  When people who were abused do not get therapy, they often turn into abusers.  And when they are in a position of authority, they are more likely to get compliance. 

You have a daughter and you are catholic.  The nice priest has a sleep over - somewhere - at his house, camp out, doesn't matter.  You believe a bunch of other children and maybe some other adults are going along.  So you send your daughter.  And she is raped.

Now, imagine some dirty weird guy off the street asks to take your daughter for a sleep over.  Right.

Or, let's say your psychologist insists you need to have sex with him/her in order to get well.  You are a sexual abuse survivor and your self-esteem and rational abilities are off kilter.  What happens?

Or, you are a sexual abuse survivor and some dirty weird guy off the street wants to have sex.  What then?

Yeah, it ain't always that clear or simple. 

As for boyfriends, more young women should learn to say, "Go sit in a corner and play with yourself."  Very effective.  Usually the jerk off leaves and doesn't come back and I say good riddance. 

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

DarkSam
DarkSam's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:I suddenly feel

Kapkao wrote:

I suddenly feel tempted to share my own bizarre experience that I had with an adult woman who quietly followed me inside of a toilet stall in the unisex bathroom at my church... and the fact I didn't feel all that victimized by her behavior save for her rather nasty/sudden invasion of my own personal privacy... amongst other things.

For better or for worse, we didn't make it passed 2nd base, (apparently) because I was a little bit of a stubborn kid back in the early 90s- I could smell her BS coming from a mile away, I was a little shy on the 'fleshy' subjects of life, and she was apparently just starting out on her undoubtedly life-long career of seducing/molesting little boys because she didn't seem to know how to make the moves on me and she made her attempt...

... and it was a shame because she was quite attractive. She just had the sudden, insatiable cravings for TEH YOUNG, TENDER MEAT... LOLOLZ!

Well... what can I say... I've had female-oriented "Teleiophilia" the moment my sexual identity/orientation became slated in stone. I think the more accurate term for this would be a "mother/father complex" (if any of you don't know what these two things are... GOOGLE!)

I think I'm just going to back away from this thread...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You cannot disprove the existance of God, but you also cannot disprove the existance of an all powerfull, incomprehesible, pink elephant that lives in the boot of my car.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:The difference is

cj wrote:

The difference is that infamous psychological experiment where a guy in a white coat tells the subject to torture an actor.

Yes, but that's only about deferred responsibility.

You aren't responsible for your actions because you were told to do it.  That doesn't necessarily factor into the force of coercion itself; it just mitigates the consequences of action to a certain extent.

I think you underestimate the force of emotional blackmail.

ContemptableWitness
ContemptableWitness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Donohue is right, pedophilia

Donohue is right, pedophilia is technically not attraction to someone over the age of 12, BUT

the word pedophilia is colloquially understood to mean sexual attraction to children (i.e. those who are under the age of consent) in general. In everyday conversation, we apply the word "pedophile" equally to both someone who has sex with a 3-year-old and someone who has sex with a 13-year-old. Donohue is obviously trying to weasel the Catholic Church's way out of this disgrace by splitting hairs and hiding behind semantics. Regardless of whether or not the priest in question practiced technical pedophilia, it was still WRONG of him to do so.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:cj wrote:The

Blake wrote:

cj wrote:

The difference is that infamous psychological experiment where a guy in a white coat tells the subject to torture an actor.

Yes, but that's only about deferred responsibility.

You aren't responsible for your actions because you were told to do it.  That doesn't necessarily factor into the force of coercion itself; it just mitigates the consequences of action to a certain extent.

I think you underestimate the force of emotional blackmail.

No, I have been subject to emotional blackmail.  It is not a fun situation to be in.  However, I have always been an onery cuss and I stopped submitting at about age 4 -  except for my mom who was a past master at it.  Which may be why I can resist anyone else. No one can compare to my mother - my in-laws were amazed when they met her and wondered out loud how I could have grown up so sane.

I have every sympathy for someone who is subjected and consequently submits to emotional blackmail.  I am aware most people are not able to resist the pressure.  Hence, the repeating of that particular study.  I always thought the point was that normal people have a terrible time resisting pressure from authority figures.  The subjects did not refuse to accept responsibility for their actions which was why many of them required follow up counseling.  They felt very badly about not being able to tell the white coat guy "no".  They felt they had failed as a caring individual.  It was in part because of the long term damage to these subjects that we have the rules for research review boards today.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
ContemptableWitness

ContemptableWitness wrote:

Donohue is right, pedophilia is technically not attraction to someone over the age of 12, BUT

Donohue is wrong.  Paedophilia is technically the attraction to someone who is not pubescent (someone who is prepubescent).  The age of 12 is not some magical number after which someone is no longer prepubescent.  It is an arbitrary distinction at best.  Further, Donohue is wrong and you pointed that out already,

ContemptableWitness wrote:
the word pedophilia is colloquially understood to mean sexual attraction to children (i.e. those who are under the age of consent) in general. In everyday conversation, we apply the word "pedophile" equally to both someone who has sex with a 3-year-old and someone who has sex with a 13-year-old.
What Donohue is doing is employing a logical fallacy called equivocation.  You see, because the technical definition of paedophilia jives better with his agenda that homosexuals are abusing the children (and implicitly that homosexuals are problematic in society), he's using it rather than the generally understood colloquial definition exactly for the reason you stated,

Quote:
Donohue is obviously trying to weasel the Catholic Church's way out of this disgrace by splitting hairs and hiding behind semantics.

Quote:
Regardless of whether or not the priest in question practiced technical pedophilia, it was still WRONG of him to do so.
This is at least true.

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:
Homosexuality only means a same gender attraction and has nothing to do with age.
Well, it doesn't only mean that.  I don't want to get pedantic about it, but even trivially homosexuality means a lot more than just same gender attraction.

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:
As I say, understanding the specific diagnostic category which an abuser falls into is useful in getting the abuser some help may be useful in getting the abuser right with society. However, abuse is still abuse.
This is true.  What matters here is not the condition of the abuser(s), not at least until they are brought to justice, but what laws they have broken knowingly or unknowingly in their sexual exploits.  What doesn't matter until that point is any technicality over exactly what kind of psychiatric disorder the abuser has.  It has no relevance whatsoever to the laws being broken (at least, it doesn't here in Canada) and to their justice before the law.

I find it really bizarre what Donohue is doing.  He's not denying the child abuse, exactly, he's just blatantly ignoring it.  -That's when he's not saying that what it really is (to him anyway) is nefarious homosexual affairs incited by boys (he ignores the cases of girls and women) who are both really horny and brainwashed by the gay agenda, which coincidentally, has infiltrated the ranks of the Catholic priesthood such that there are homosexual priests in place at whom the charges of abuse can be levelled by the brainwashed gay children all in a grand conspiracy to discredit the good name of the Catholic Church and! further the gay agenda.

Is Donohue trying to tell us all something?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:No, I have been

cj wrote:

No, I have been subject to emotional blackmail.  It is not a fun situation to be in.  However, I have always been an onery cuss and I stopped submitting at about age 4 -  except for my mom who was a past master at it.

Cj, perhaps you are just stronger than most others, or desensitized to it.  But you don't really strike me as the type to be vulnerable to authority either (if it is a force, which it may be).

Even in the case where somebody were vulnerable to one and not the other (by being desensitized, perhaps), I don't believe that makes the bottom-line any different.

In my view, pressure is pressure; it comes in subtly different shades, perhaps, but I see no fundamental difference between the two from a moral standpoint.

As to the force of authority:

Quote:
I always thought the point was that normal people have a terrible time resisting pressure from authority figures.

I see what you mean there, and you may have a point- it could still be a force of some kind.

However, I think the sense of responsibility comes in after the fact; during the process, I believe it is mitigated in the mind's projection of the future consequences.  It's only in hindsight, I suspect, that it comes back to it that they "could have said no".

You may be right, though- it could be a force.

In that study, I believe that was the point.  But do a study on emotional blackmail, and I would bet almost anything that you'd find the same result if the consequences of the action were negative.

Whether one pushes you or pulls you, you're still being forced.

I would argue that people feel badly when emotionally forced as well.

Researcher:  "Kill this kitten, it's necessary for the experiment.  You won't be responsible."

Jerk boyfriend:  "Kill this kitten or I will break up with you and not love you anymore"

I think an argument can be made as to how badly the consequences of those actions make people feel being the ultimate magnitude of the wrong of the means... but I don't think that makes the means/forces fundamentally different.

While I generally haven't used false threats (as most people do- since I follow through), I've used some kind of "emotional blackmail" before:

Girl:  "I'm too ugly."

Me: "Stop insulting yourself.  Now give yourself ten compliments, or I'm not going to talk to you anymore."

The end result is, of course, that the person unlearns a self-degrading habit, and improves in self-esteem.  Repetition is amazingly powerful.

I've made girls exercise, improve their diets, forced them to go out and talk to people more.  Emotional blackmail is profoundly powerful- although I'm glad my conscience doesn't have to bear any strictly selfish use of it, though of course the "for her own good" is subject to my own judgment which may be debatable.

I have been tempted to, but have yet to use emotional blackmail to get a girl to stop believing in gods or spirits/magical nonsense.  Seems like a grey area that isn't clearly to benefit her... although I certainly think free thinking, being freed from superstition, is beneficial.  Hmm...

Anyway, my point is only that I've been in the position to understand the power of emotional blackmail such that I can not see the difference between that, and any other position of authority.

Even if "Authority" of the teacher/priest type is a significant force (rather than just temporary mitigation of responsibility), I don't think that makes it any worse than use of emotional blackmail, or even deceptive threats of any kind (assuming the authority is using deception in addition to power).

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote: cj wrote: No, I

Blake wrote:

cj wrote:

No, I have been subject to emotional blackmail.  It is not a fun situation to be in.  However, I have always been an onery cuss and I stopped submitting at about age 4 -  except for my mom who was a past master at it.

Cj, perhaps you are just stronger than most others, or desensitized to it.  But you don't really strike me as the type to be vulnerable to authority either (if it is a force, which it may be).

Got it in one.  If I submit to authority, it is because I choose to, not because I can be forced.  It's that whole free will thing.

Blake wrote:

You may be right, though- it could be a force.

In that study, I believe that was the point.  But do a study on emotional blackmail, and I would bet almost anything that you'd find the same result if the consequences of the action were negative.

Whether one pushes you or pulls you, you're still being forced.

Carrot or stick makes no difference.  I believe you can refuse the carrot and you can refuse to respond to the stick.  But I am aware that most people have problems with either.

Blake wrote:

I would argue that people feel badly when emotionally forced as well.

Researcher:  "Kill this kitten, it's necessary for the experiment.  You won't be responsible."

Jerk boyfriend:  "Kill this kitten or I will break up with you and not love you anymore"

I was not intending to say people do not feel badly when emotionally forced.  Of course they do.  And while being forced for something good is better than something bad:

Researcher: "Eat this chocolate whipped cream cake - you know you want it."

Jerk boyfriend: "Eat this chocolate whipped cream cake - and let's go smear some on the sheets, too."

But what if I don't like chocolate?  (I love chocolate, but I have friends who don't.)  What if I am trying to be on a sensible diet?  What if I am diabetic?

Being forced at all is bad for your self esteem and your inner well being.

Blake wrote:

Anyway, my point is only that I've been in the position to understand the power of emotional blackmail such that I can not see the difference between that, and any other position of authority.

Even if "Authority" of the teacher/priest type is a significant force (rather than just temporary mitigation of responsibility), I don't think that makes it any worse than use of emotional blackmail, or even deceptive threats of any kind (assuming the authority is using deception in addition to power).

I don't think we are in disagreement here.  Personally, I think in some respects emotional blackmail is worse than abusing your authority.  Just because most people don't see emotional blackmail as being manipulated.  Which is what sets me off - the manipulation.

But authority comes with responsibility and many times, professional certification of some sort.  And this means not only is it a dysfunctional relationship, it is also a legal matter.  You won't get put in jail for rape if you tell your girlfriend, have sex or I leave.  You will court jail time and loss of certification or employment if you are a professional.  And if you are seeing someone professionally, it almost always means you are in a more vulnerable state emotionally or physically than that mistreated girlfriend. 

It is hard for me to feel sympathy for an adult woman who doesn't tell the abusive boyfriend to take a hike - or wear this cast iron skillet.  (I have three iron skillets, don't start with me.  )  But when you are a child and at the mercy of everyone, or an emotionally or physically compromised adult, then when you are in the hands of a person with authority you should be able to trust their competency, integrity and reliability.  Because of the expectation of your trust it is always emotional blackmail as well as authoritative abuse.

As for any religious figure, it is emotional blackmail as that is what religion is all about.  Emotionally blackmailing the congregation to support the religious leaders, giving them authority and emotional control over the congregation, which sets everyone up for the worse kind of abuses.  Yet another reason to skip religion altogether.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DarkSam wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

I think I'm just going to back away from this thread...

lofl!

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's something else I should add about my 'female molester'

She offered to be my babysitter!

HOWEVER(!!!!!)... when I told her my parents allowed me to stay home by myself once I turned 9 (dammit! WHY'D I DO DAT??), she got strange and uncomfortable with the notion!

ARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHH DAMN ME! I wish I hadn't said that!

(I was at age 9 soon to become 10, btw)

cj: am I a "dirty weird guy" or what?!

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:cj: am I a

Kapkao wrote:

cj: am I a "dirty weird guy" or what?!

Weird, yes.  Dirty - eh.  No worse than most guys.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Being forced at all

cj wrote:

I disagree- while it might not be the best option, sometimes one can be forced to stop being self-destructive.  I do think that the ends justify the means sometimes.

What if somebody uses emotional blackmail to free somebody from emotional blackmail?  Fight fire with fire... you know.

The way you put religion, as emotional blackmail, makes me think I should try to use emotional blackmail to free people from religion.  I have been reluctant to do it before.

I'm still not sure, though.

I'm kind of repulsed by religion, though... no matter how attractive a girl was, as soon as she mentions Jesus she might as well be a balding and overweight middle-age male truck driver.  On the other side, an otherwise unattractive girl can start blaspheming and be totally hot because of that.

It might take at least a couple dates to get a girl to like me enough to have the leverage.

Maybe this is a case of my needing to take one for the team.  Ehh...

I'm willing to go  as far as holding hands if it's for a good cause.  You don't think I'd actually have to go so far as kiss a Christian girl to have the leverage?  *gag*

Quote:
I don't think we are in disagreement here.  Personally, I think in some respects emotional blackmail is worse than abusing your authority.  Just because most people don't see emotional blackmail as being manipulated.  Which is what sets me off - the manipulation.

I see what you mean- that is, the person being manipulated my notice it and realize it's wrong (and illegal) and have recourse if it's an authority figure, but won't be able to do anything otherwise.

But how can that be made illegal without hitting a slippery slope?

Morally, though, I guess you agree that authority is not necessarily worse, but just a slightly different legal situation due to certification?

Quote:
And if you are seeing someone professionally, it almost always means you are in a more vulnerable state emotionally or physically than that mistreated girlfriend.

Maybe; so you're mostly considering it as positions of vulnerability... but many, many of these girls who are manipulated *should* be in therapy, and some need it more than those who are in therapy.

I think it's always about the power difference, and there's not a sharp line between that held by an authority and that held by a boyfriend.

I wonder if there's a more objective way to measure that power difference...

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
making me think

Blake wrote:

cj wrote:

I disagree- while it might not be the best option, sometimes one can be forced to stop being self-destructive.  I do think that the ends justify the means sometimes.

This is self-justification.  If you have to justify the means, then you are not comfortable with said means.  And why is that?  (Don't answer me, the question is rhetorical.  Think about it.)

Blake wrote:

What if somebody uses emotional blackmail to free somebody from emotional blackmail?  Fight fire with fire... you know.

I am not a wild fire, thank you.  Neither is your girlfriend.  From my experience this method will escalate into swampy murkiness.  (I like that sentence!)  The two manipulators (you and the other source of emotional blackmail) will have to keep upping the blackmail as you compete for the "prize" - the third person's psyche.  And for all you know, the person being blackmailed is aware and consents.  Then it is for you to butt out.

Blake wrote:

The way you put religion, as emotional blackmail, makes me think I should try to use emotional blackmail to free people from religion.  I have been reluctant to do it before.

I'm still not sure, though.

I only point out the blackmail, I don't try to blackmail people in return.  Maybe if you read Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor.  She is the grand master of clicker training - or as now known amongst school kids, "arc" points.  She says that positive reinforcement will work on your friends and family if they don't know about it.  The minute they become aware of the manipulation, they will refuse to cooperate.  So if you point out the manipulation, it should cause the person to start moving out of being manipulated.  Try this, instead.

Blake wrote:

I'm kind of repulsed by religion, though... no matter how attractive a girl was, as soon as she mentions Jesus she might as well be a balding and overweight middle-age male truck driver.  On the other side, an otherwise unattractive girl can start blaspheming and be totally hot because of that.

It might take at least a couple dates to get a girl to like me enough to have the leverage.

Maybe this is a case of my needing to take one for the team.  Ehh...

I'm willing to go  as far as holding hands if it's for a good cause.  You don't think I'd actually have to go so far as kiss a Christian girl to have the leverage?  *gag*

I don't know about any other female, but for me, the minute a boyfriend started trying to nudge me around - "you would be so pretty if you <lost> <gained> 5 pounds" (yeah, I heard it both ways) - I learned to leave him and not come back.  Love me as I am or get lost.  Maybe if you cared for someone exactly like she is, fat or not, healthy or not, tall or short, whatever, you would have better luck finding a special someone.  Remember, we all get less healthy and less attractive as we get older- even you.  While some of which may be avoided through careful diet and exercise, some is beyond our control.  If you can't imagine loving someone when they are old, chubby or skinny, wrinkly and/or ill, then you aren't ready for a long term relationship.

Blake wrote:

Quote:

I see what you mean- that is, the person being manipulated my notice it and realize it's wrong (and illegal) and have recourse if it's an authority figure, but won't be able to do anything otherwise.

But how can that be made illegal without hitting a slippery slope?

Morally, though, I guess you agree that authority is not necessarily worse, but just a slightly different legal situation due to certification?

I don't see any way to make emotional blackmail illegal.  I don't believe in slippery slopes, what I believe is no two people can agree on anything.  And finding a place where most people would agree is a line between acceptable and unacceptable would take more time than it is worth.

I can imagine times when authoritative abuse is less damaging than emotional abuse as well as vice versa.  So I guess I will have to say in my opinion they are roughly equal except for the legal aspects. 

Blake wrote:

Quote:
And if you are seeing someone professionally, it almost always means you are in a more vulnerable state emotionally or physically than that mistreated girlfriend.

Maybe; so you're mostly considering it as positions of vulnerability... but many, many of these girls who are manipulated *should* be in therapy, and some need it more than those who are in therapy.

I think it's always about the power difference, and there's not a sharp line between that held by an authority and that held by a boyfriend.

I wonder if there's a more objective way to measure that power difference...

I can't think of an objective way to measure emotional control.

Except for choice, there isn't a sharp line.  If it is someone's choice to give a boyfriend that kind of control, then the boyfriend may take advantage of it if so inclined.  You may grant that kind of authority to a religious leader.  Or doctors or psycho-therapists.  Some people will be able to say "no, I don't think so".  But others are just as helpless before a boyfriend or girlfriend, priest, doctor, or psychologist as they are before a policeman or judge or swat team.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:This is

cj wrote:

This is self-justification.  If you have to justify the means, then you are not comfortable with said means.  And why is that?  (Don't answer me, the question is rhetorical.  Think about it.)

Obviously it's justification- I think that's the point.  Just because we aren't comfortable with something, doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

I'm uncomfortable with reaching into the toilet to remove a dropped item- but the ends (being able to again use the device) justify the means to me.

The problem comes in when we aren't comparing them fairly, or when we are rationalizing instead of judging comparative consequences. 

Things such as "well, I have to do this, so this is O.K."- well, do you have to?  Chances are you don't.  That kind of thinking is a problem. 

We have to not allow biases of reality to permit our action, but look at things as objectively as possible.

Laying out the options, evaluating them as objectively as possible, and taking responsibility for the consequences- this is quite different.

cj wrote:

I am not a wild fire, thank you.  Neither is your girlfriend.  From my experience this method will escalate into swampy murkiness.  (I like that sentence!)  The two manipulators (you and the other source of emotional blackmail) will have to keep upping the blackmail as you compete for the "prize" - the third person's psyche.  And for all you know, the person being blackmailed is aware and consents.  Then it is for you to butt out.

There are women who consent to physical abuse because they are convinced that they have done something bad and deserve it (not because they enjoy it- S&M stuff is people's own business).  Do you agree that it is then for the law enforcement to butt out?

In the same way, religious abuse can be accepted because the person has had his or her individual esteem and self-worth so demolished that the self-loathing provides consent for the abuse.

Maybe you're not on fire, but some people are.  I imagine you're fire retardant, in that respect- not all people are that strong.

If it makes you feel better, I can't respect people who are easily manipulated, and as such, I'm incapable of finding them attractive... so, in the process of manipulating somebody to help them improve their lives, I lose any attraction I could have had.

So in that sense, I may be shooting myself in the foot anyway.

However, when self worth is improved, and the person learns to think more critically, it is entirely possible that the person could become somebody I could respect.  In theory, this is perhaps the goal.

Help somebody become a person, and then respect them as one thereafter.

cj wrote:
The minute they become aware of the manipulation, they will refuse to cooperate.  So if you point out the manipulation, it should cause the person to start moving out of being manipulated.  Try this, instead.

I have tried things like this, and it tends to be less effective- or at least far, far slower.  Particularly, as I have mentioned, if they have such low self worth that they believe in the manipulation that the religion is perpetrating upon them.

cj wrote:

I don't know about any other female, but for me, the minute a boyfriend started trying to nudge me around - "you would be so pretty if you <lost> <gained> 5 pounds" (yeah, I heard it both ways) - I learned to leave him and not come back.

Unfortunately, that's mostly just you cj.  If there were more like you around, I don't think there would even be an issue.

cj wrote:
Maybe if you cared for someone exactly like she is, fat or not, healthy or not, tall or short, whatever, you would have better luck finding a special someone.  Remember, we all get less healthy and less attractive as we get older- even you.

The matter has little to nothing to do with physical attraction. 

It is a matter of intellectual attraction, and I believe being capable of being intellectually attracted to somebody who is delusional, unambitious, and self-degrading, and careless is in itself profoundly shallow- accepting something that isn't respectable just for the physical/hormonal comfort of companionship.

Unfortunately, that description qualifies most people.

I have nothing against chubby girls physically (I'm really not physically unattracted up until maybe 80 - 90 kg), but the root is often entangled with low self-esteem which disables will power, and physical crutches or addictions like comfort food.  I make anorexics eat, too. 

Five pounds is kind of silly- we're talking about very different orders of magnitude here, and in particular, extremely different domains of attraction; physical versus psychological.

cj wrote:
Except for choice, there isn't a sharp line.

Choice isn't a sharp line though- that's part of the control itself.  The choice can be implicit, or the choice itself can be manipulated into a direct answer.  There's no such thing as a will free of environmental factors like that.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote: Obviously it's

Blake wrote:

Obviously it's justification- I think that's the point.  Just because we aren't comfortable with something, doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

I'm uncomfortable with reaching into the toilet to remove a dropped item- but the ends (being able to again use the device) justify the means to me.

The problem comes in when we aren't comparing them fairly, or when we are rationalizing instead of judging comparative consequences. 

Things such as "well, I have to do this, so this is O.K."- well, do you have to?  Chances are you don't.  That kind of thinking is a problem. 

Okay, I'll buy this.  Though I think the toilet analogy is not accurate.  You can reach in the toilet with something other than your hand, you know.  That is a physical problem, not emotional.  Your emotional response in that case is related to your knowledge of the physical consequences.

Blake wrote:

We have to not allow biases of reality to permit our action, but look at things as objectively as possible.

Laying out the options, evaluating them as objectively as possible, and taking responsibility for the consequences- this is quite different.

The consequences in this case are increasing someone's emotional dependence rather than increasing their independence.  Is this what you wanted?

Blake wrote:

There are women who consent to physical abuse because they are convinced that they have done something bad and deserve it (not because they enjoy it- S&M stuff is people's own business).  Do you agree that it is then for the law enforcement to butt out?

In the same way, religious abuse can be accepted because the person has had his or her individual esteem and self-worth so demolished that the self-loathing provides consent for the abuse.

Yes, I have met women and men like this - physical and/or religious abusees.  (That's not a word, but it should be.)  Law enforcement is only involved if the physical abuse escalates to hospitalization - and even then the abusee may opt out.  Or if the neighbors complain.  Religious abuse is only on the radar if it leads to physical abuse. 

In the case of physical abusers, they often select victims who are of a size to be abused.  That is, most of them wouldn't touch me with a ten foot pole - I am not small, was never small, and am very muscular for a woman.  They almost always select someone they can abuse easily, someone smaller and not particularly able to defend themselves.  Someone who is already afraid before they even start.

And something else I have learned - the hard way - people who don't want to be helped, can't be helped.

Blake wrote:

Maybe you're not on fire, but some people are.  I imagine you're fire retardant, in that respect- not all people are that strong.

No, most people are not like me - or you.  We are capable of saying - bullshit, fuck off.  And so we are resistant to manipulation for the most part.  My husband has learned not to "recommend" changes in my life style to suit himself. 

Blake wrote:

If it makes you feel better, I can't respect people who are easily manipulated, and as such, I'm incapable of finding them attractive... so, in the process of manipulating somebody to help them improve their lives, I lose any attraction I could have had.

So in that sense, I may be shooting myself in the foot anyway.

I'm guessing you are hanging out with the wrong crowd.  Self sufficient strong people hang out together and won't allow a manipulator within ten feet of them. 

Blake wrote:

However, when self worth is improved, and the person learns to think more critically, it is entirely possible that the person could become somebody I could respect.  In theory, this is perhaps the goal.

Help somebody become a person, and then respect them as one thereafter.

There is the possibility that they will wipe your dust off their feet and go find someone who isn't a manipulator.

Blake wrote:

cj wrote:
The minute they become aware of the manipulation, they will refuse to cooperate.  So if you point out the manipulation, it should cause the person to start moving out of being manipulated.  Try this, instead.

I have tried things like this, and it tends to be less effective- or at least far, far slower.  Particularly, as I have mentioned, if they have such low self worth that they believe in the manipulation that the religion is perpetrating upon them.

Yes, it is very much slower.  But real learning is.  Again, from training dogs - anything with a brain stem learns in the same way - if you teach a dog using luring, it is not as effective as capture and shape.  

Luring -  you hold a treat over the dog's nose and move it backwards above his head.  He will sit in order to follow the treat.  Or, force him into a sit by pushing down on his butt.  Reward by giving the treat. 

Capture and Shape - you wait, clicker and treat in hand, until the dog sits on his own.  You click and reward.  Move around so the dog stands up.  Wait until he sits, then click and reward.

Luring works, but you will always have to lure for the old commands as well as the new commands for the rest of the dog's life.  With capture and shape, the dog internalizes "sit".  The first command will take the longest to get.  After that, the dog will offer behaviors to get a click and reward and learning will happen much more quickly.  This is how the Seinfeld dog was taught, all capture and shape.

So, to put it in context.  If you manipulate someone to change their life style, they will probably need someone to nag for the rest of their lives.  If they learn to change their life style on their own, it will take longer the first time.  But after that, they will learn to change much more quickly and the change will be permanent because it is internal.

Blake wrote:

cj wrote:

I don't know about any other female, but for me, the minute a boyfriend started trying to nudge me around - "you would be so pretty if you <lost> <gained> 5 pounds" (yeah, I heard it both ways) - I learned to leave him and not come back.

Unfortunately, that's mostly just you cj.  If there were more like you around, I don't think there would even be an issue.

cj wrote:
Maybe if you cared for someone exactly like she is, fat or not, healthy or not, tall or short, whatever, you would have better luck finding a special someone.  Remember, we all get less healthy and less attractive as we get older- even you.

The matter has little to nothing to do with physical attraction. 

I didn't mean my comment only in the physical sense.  Though your example was physical - healthy life style - and so was mine - change your weight.  We could have used examples like, "eat whole grains and more fruit and vegetables".  Or even, "be a vegetarian and jog every day".  Or, "stop smoking", "leave that abusive church", "don't drink sodas, soft drinks, pop", "lay off the grande macchiatos"......

Blake wrote:

It is a matter of intellectual attraction, and I believe being capable of being intellectually attracted to somebody who is delusional, unambitious, and self-degrading, and careless is in itself profoundly shallow- accepting something that isn't respectable just for the physical/hormonal comfort of companionship.

Unfortunately, that description qualifies most people.

That is what many people have learned from relationships around them as they were growing up.  It is what I learned as well.  Not all of those things, but my family wasn't perfect by any stretch.  It is and was never easy being something your family is not.  So you need to find people with exceptional families or find someone who can grow beyond their family.  I am not pretending it is easy as people like this are not a dime a dozen.

Blake wrote:

cj wrote:
Except for choice, there isn't a sharp line.

Choice isn't a sharp line though- that's part of the control itself.  The choice can be implicit, or the choice itself can be manipulated into a direct answer.  There's no such thing as a will free of environmental factors like that.

I just don't see it that way.  I can be manipulated, but I am quick to see it and then I am out of there.  For me, choice is a sharp line.  Here - manipulation.  There - freedom.  To get there from here, one small internal step.  The physical steps may take time and effort, maybe even money and resources.  But once the internal step has been made, freedom becomes possible.

I guess if a person has never attempted a behavior on their own without being manipulated (lured), they have to learn to offer behaviors (capture and shape).  And that is going to be harder for those who have never been allowed to offer independent behaviors that are accepted by their friends and family.  It is not impossible, however.  People have brains the size of cantaloupes, not the lemon-sized brain of a dog.  And therefore, people are capable of much more complex learning than dogs.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:The consequences in

cj wrote:

The consequences in this case are increasing someone's emotional dependence rather than increasing their independence.  Is this what you wanted?

Temporarily, I've found.  And I don't think it increases it, so much as redirects it.  But I'll get to that.

cj wrote:

And something else I have learned - the hard way - people who don't want to be helped, can't be helped.

I disagree with this.  Maybe they can't be helped your way- perhaps they can't be helped gently- but they can be forced by way of emotional manipulation.  I know it can be done, because I've done it.

However, I will say that perhaps there are risks in this method, if the other side is pulling too... you know, left arm and right arm being pulled in opposite direction, a weak person can be broken (and could actually commit suicide, or do something else drastic).  I've seen it result in extreme emotional situations... one has to be very careful.

I've never gone up against religion in this respect, so that might be even stronger if somebody is pulling emotional manipulation on the other end too.

cj wrote:
No, most people are not like me - or you.  We are capable of saying - bullshit, fuck off.  And so we are resistant to manipulation for the most part.  My husband has learned not to "recommend" changes in my life style to suit himself. 

Right, but people who resist manipulation don't need fixing so much as just persuading- if they're rational, all it takes it a good conversation, and they know how to improve their lives on their own when exposed to good ideas.

I like that kind of person.... but the rarity is a big issue.

cj wrote:

I'm guessing you are hanging out with the wrong crowd.  Self sufficient strong people hang out together and won't allow a manipulator within ten feet of them.

Maybe, but I so rarely meet self sufficiently strong people- and particularly ones I just happen to have anything in common with.

FYI, I go for vegetarian girls (I'm vegetarian), and to quote a friend of mine from years ago:

"Don't go for the vegetarian girls, they all have too much emotional baggage"

I've found it to be almost universally true.  As if in order to have compassion for animals, a person has to have been pretty emotionally beat-up herself to appreciate a similar situation.  Perhaps people who are emotionally sound are better able to wall themselves off and ignore the suffering of others (maybe that distance itself contributes to stability).

The same thing tends to be true of very intelligent people (more emotional issues)- for whatever reason.  Maybe ignorance is good for emotional stability.  Either way, I don't like girls with low IQs; I consider it a form of bestiality.

Plenty of theories to explain it, but whatever is causing it, take the cross-section of those too (intelligent vegetarian girls), and it seems my only option is fixer-uppers.

Maybe I have a sample bias, though.  I'd be glad to hear it if I did, and would be happy to change my sampling methods.  I don't like fixing.

cj wrote:
There is the possibility that they will wipe your dust off their feet and go find someone who isn't a manipulator.

Yes.  A strong probability, even- that's why your first point isn't really valid in the long run, because the ultimate result it the loss of dependence.

cj wrote:

Yes, it is very much slower.  But real learning is.  Again, from training dogs - anything with a brain stem learns in the same way - if you teach a dog using luring, it is not as effective as capture and shape.  

Luring -  you hold a treat over the dog's nose and move it backwards above his head.  He will sit in order to follow the treat.  Or, force him into a sit by pushing down on his butt.  Reward by giving the treat. 

Capture and Shape - you wait, clicker and treat in hand, until the dog sits on his own.  You click and reward.  Move around so the dog stands up.  Wait until he sits, then click and reward.

Luring works, but you will always have to lure for the old commands as well as the new commands for the rest of the dog's life.  With capture and shape, the dog internalizes "sit".  The first command will take the longest to get.  After that, the dog will offer behaviors to get a click and reward and learning will happen much more quickly.  This is how the Seinfeld dog was taught, all capture and shape.

So, to put it in context.  If you manipulate someone to change their life style, they will probably need someone to nag for the rest of their lives.  If they learn to change their life style on their own, it will take longer the first time.  But after that, they will learn to change much more quickly and the change will be permanent because it is internal.

I grew up training dogs using Luring.

You do make good points, but can this work on somebody who doesn't want to be helped?

How big of a cookie do I need to compete with religion?

How would I even go about the clicker + treat method in matters of training human psychology?

If you can think of something, I'll give it a try.

cj wrote:
So you need to find people with exceptional families or find someone who can grow beyond their family.  I am not pretending it is easy as people like this are not a dime a dozen.

Right, but a different behavior can be trained in with the right methods.  Sometimes those methods are just... strong.

cj wrote:

I guess if a person has never attempted a behavior on their own without being manipulated (lured), they have to learn to offer behaviors (capture and shape).  And that is going to be harder for those who have never been allowed to offer independent behaviors that are accepted by their friends and family.  It is not impossible, however.  People have brains the size of cantaloupes, not the lemon-sized brain of a dog.  And therefore, people are capable of much more complex learning than dogs.

Maybe, but I can't sit around waiting for somebody to offer a behavior...  Chances are, I'd be dead before she did.

Is there a way to encourage the offering of behavior without using luring?  Luring is really all I know how to do.  I'm willing to try something else if it's practical, though.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote: cj wrote: The

Blake wrote:

cj wrote:

Temporarily, I've found.  And I don't think it increases it, so much as redirects it.  But I'll get to that.

Redirecting may not increase emotional dependence, but I think we can agree it doesn't decrease it, either.  And so independence is not achieved unless the person internalizes a desire for change.

Blake wrote:

cj wrote:

I disagree with this.  Maybe they can't be helped your way- perhaps they can't be helped gently- but they can be forced by way of emotional manipulation.  I know it can be done, because I've done it.

However, I will say that perhaps there are risks in this method, if the other side is pulling too... you know, left arm and right arm being pulled in opposite direction, a weak person can be broken (and could actually commit suicide, or do something else drastic).  I've seen it result in extreme emotional situations... one has to be very careful.

I've never gone up against religion in this respect, so that might be even stronger if somebody is pulling emotional manipulation on the other end too.

I checked with a psychologist I know who is also female.  She agrees with me.  It is possible to force someone into a temporary change due to emotional blackmail.  "Eat vegetarian or I walk," only works until one of you walks.  And your friend may revert to previous habits when you are not around if they were only vegetarian <or whatever> because it was a condition of a relationship.  "Oh, Blake is not here and it is lunch time - BIG MAC!!!"  "Hey, I broke up with Blake today.  Go out with me to Outback and we'll have a big ol' steak in celebration."  Your friend won't change permanently until she internalizes the change.  External pressures work, but only while the pressure is applied.

Blake wrote:

FYI, I go for vegetarian girls (I'm vegetarian), and to quote a friend of mine from years ago:

"Don't go for the vegetarian girls, they all have too much emotional baggage"

I've found it to be almost universally true.  As if in order to have compassion for animals, a person has to have been pretty emotionally beat-up herself to appreciate a similar situation.  Perhaps people who are emotionally sound are better able to wall themselves off and ignore the suffering of others (maybe that distance itself contributes to stability).

The same thing tends to be true of very intelligent people (more emotional issues)- for whatever reason.  Maybe ignorance is good for emotional stability.  Either way, I don't like girls with low IQs; I consider it a form of bestiality.

Plenty of theories to explain it, but whatever is causing it, take the cross-section of those too (intelligent vegetarian girls), and it seems my only option is fixer-uppers.

Maybe I have a sample bias, though.  I'd be glad to hear it if I did, and would be happy to change my sampling methods.  I don't like fixing.

All I can give you is my own experience.  Once I stopped looking at the guys I was immediately attracted to and started looking at the ones I considered just a little nerdy, maybe not the physical style I thought was sexy, I found the right guy.  Dummy me had been hanging around dumb asses when I out rated them in the IQ department by at least 50 points.

I don't know if that is specifically your problem, but just ask yourself -- where do I hang and what kind of people hang there?  Where else could I go to find people who might be fun to be with?  Don't worry about potential relationships, just go for fun.  If you are having fun, you will find people who are also having fun at the same place.  Not a bad place to start.

Blake wrote:

cj wrote:

Yes.  A strong probability, even- that's why your first point isn't really valid in the long run, because the ultimate result it the loss of dependence.

Sorry, I don't get what you are trying to say here.

Blake wrote:

cj wrote:

I grew up training dogs using Luring.

You do make good points, but can this work on somebody who doesn't want to be helped?

Probably not - people who do not want to change, who do not want to acknowledge the manipulation, don't.  All you can do is point it out and stand back.  If nothing happens, move on.

That is why alcoholism counselors talk about hitting bottom.  Where bottom is will be different for different people.  But they have to decide they have hit bottom or drying out is only temporary.

Blake wrote:

How big of a cookie do I need to compete with religion?

How would I even go about the clicker + treat method in matters of training human psychology?

If you can think of something, I'll give it a try.

For dogs, just a pencil eraser size is large enough for anything.  For people - well.  Karen Pryor says people can be trained with just a positive word.  So you can train your self by saying "good!"  The hard part for most people when training is to train only one thing at a time.  Using Ms. Pryor's example, if you want to train yourself to be a better racket ball player, you start by praising yourself for speed or accuracy first, then training for the other.  Pick only one at a time - speed or accuracy.

So training someone to not be manipulated, means selecting one thing at a time.  Acknowledge that you are being manipulated.  Realize you can do something about it.  Figure out what steps you can take with the resources you have.  Take the first step out of the situation.  Reinforcement may be nothing more than an encouraging word at each step of the way.

Most people make the mistake of trying to train too many steps at once.

Blake wrote:

cj wrote:
So you need to find people with exceptional families or find someone who can grow beyond their family.  I am not pretending it is easy as people like this are not a dime a dozen.

Right, but a different behavior can be trained in with the right methods.  Sometimes those methods are just... strong.

cj wrote:

Maybe, but I can't sit around waiting for somebody to offer a behavior...  Chances are, I'd be dead before she did.

Is there a way to encourage the offering of behavior without using luring?  Luring is really all I know how to do.  I'm willing to try something else if it's practical, though.

If a dog started training by being lured, you can largely forget them offering behaviors later in life.  People are not dogs and can be encouraged to change how they respond to emotional pressure.  But like dogs, they will revert to old habits if put under enough pressure. 

You start by giving sincere positive reinforcement when and as appropriate.  "I really like the way you fix tabbouleh."  Skip adding, "But must you make mac and cheese out of a box?"  I was not aware of how often I was critical and how seldom I was supportive until I started paying attention to what I was saying.  Try to be at least 75% positive, the more the better.  Try to not say anything negative. 

Hey, I'm talking about your behavior, not the person with the problem!  If you are careful to be positive, the other person will be more willing to listen to you and to assign value to what you say.  Which will allow you to start gently pointing out the emotional quagmire they are in and to have them really listen to what you are saying.  You can reinforce them by responding positively to their questions and concerns. 

Never minimize the difficulty they will probably have seeing your world view.  Never roll your eyes.  I read where they can predict how soon a relationship will break up by the number of eye rolls during a conversation between two people.  It wasn't what was said, it was the back story of contempt that predicted a break up.

Books and videos on dog training, but they apply to people as well.  Don't shoot the Dog  "Clicker Magic" The Other End of the Leash   The Culture Clash  Click for Joy

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
shamless lolpics

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Redirecting may not

cj wrote:

Redirecting may not increase emotional dependence, but I think we can agree it doesn't decrease it, either.  And so independence is not achieved unless the person internalizes a desire for change.

I don't know; I've forced people who were shut in out of self loathing to go out and talk to/meet random people, and compliment themselves to the point that they become social- and from there greater emotional independence is achieved.

Identify the problems, and solve them for the person (though the person has no idea why I'm making her do these things), and it's still a fix.  However, that of course doesn't teach her how to solve other problems she has by herself.

cj wrote:
I checked with a psychologist I know who is also female.  She agrees with me.  It is possible to force someone into a temporary change due to emotional blackmail.  "Eat vegetarian or I walk," only works until one of you walks.  And your friend may revert to previous habits when you are not around if they were only vegetarian <or whatever> because it was a condition of a relationship.  "Oh, Blake is not here and it is lunch time - BIG MAC!!!"  "Hey, I broke up with Blake today.  Go out with me to Outback and we'll have a big ol' steak in celebration."  Your friend won't change permanently until she internalizes the change.  External pressures work, but only while the pressure is applied.

Right, I'm well aware of this for particular issues that the person might not fully understand.  When somebody is doing something because of me, it becomes associated with me (either positively through loyalty, or negatively through consequence), and as soon as the association changes, so does the action.

I asked one girl if she was eating vegetarian because of me, or herself.  She said partly me, and partly herself.  I tried to explain that it needs to be 100% her, so she should learn her own reasons, and decide for herself.  At least an attempt at motivating internalization- I don't think it quite got through though.

Vegetarian diets are a bit different from atheism, though.  One is expression of opinion (e.g. consistency with the opinion that "Animals don't deserve to suffer" or "the environment should be protected" etc.)- one is quite evident fact.

People can change their opinions more easily- and under emotional pressure, opinions are very fluid and tend to conform to those of others.  It's a bit harder to ignore facts once they've gotten through, though (theists typically make use of denying the facts instead of understanding them).

While obviously somebody may tie the emotional state of an opinion to her relationship with me (e.g. care more about animal welfare or the environment because I do) and that may change, I find it unlikely that intimate factual knowledge would, no matter how she feels about it or me.

As such, if I forced a girl to learn calculus, I don't think she'd instantly stop understanding it as soon as she hated me.  Likewise, if I forced a girl to learn about her religion, general science, logic, and philosophy- ultimately resulting in inevitable disbelief once I've crushed all of her rationalization with education- she's not going to forget all of those things when she's not with me or decides she hates me.  What emotional manipulation can do is force her to listen and understand it, even: "you will memorize all of these apologetic arguments, and successfully refute them all in your own words every day, or I walk"

And of course, there are some pretty decent tests of disbelief, like willingness to commit blasphemy (a primitive lie detector could at least pick up any stress or concern under these situations).

Vegetarianism:  Yeah, maybe she'd grab a burger when I'm not around.

Atheism:  That's going to be a little less reversible relative to her mood.

So if I started with a Christian who was already vegetarian for her own reasons, that might be a good fix.  If I could put up with the time it took to fix her.

cj wrote:

I don't know if that is specifically your problem, but just ask yourself -- where do I hang and what kind of people hang there?  Where else could I go to find people who might be fun to be with?  Don't worry about potential relationships, just go for fun.  If you are having fun, you will find people who are also having fun at the same place.  Not a bad place to start.

This is why I don't go to bars.  The nerdy types aren't as social, though.  Maybe a star-trek convention or something...

cj wrote:
Probably not - people who do not want to change, who do not want to acknowledge the manipulation, don't.  All you can do is point it out and stand back.  If nothing happens, move on.

Time investment aside, this kind of thing is really too emotionally draining for me.  I need to see results- having that happen over and over would really just depress me.

cj wrote:
So training someone to not be manipulated, means selecting one thing at a time.  Acknowledge that you are being manipulated.  Realize you can do something about it.  Figure out what steps you can take with the resources you have.  Take the first step out of the situation.  Reinforcement may be nothing more than an encouraging word at each step of the way.

Yikes... yeah, I try to do too much at once.  Every one of those steps, actually, in the space of twenty minutes in some cases.

I'm very patient when I know something is going to work, but when there's uncertainty there, I can't stand the waiting very much- particularly with important things.

I think perhaps this is something worth doing for less important things to avoid pushing hard, but I doubt I could use this tactic to separate somebody from a religion-- I don't know that I could bear that pace.  And I really think that learning is something emotions won't undo so easily, even if it's a bit forced (some people still remember how to spell and do their times tables after primary school, which is pretty impressive for forced memory retention; it's not as good as curiosity, of course- maybe not by a hundred times- but it can still work).  If I forced a start with learning, though, to get past the first hurdle (religion is BS), I may be able to use "capture and shape" to encourage further curiosity and critical thinking to make sure she doesn't relapse later (which unless I forced her to memorize *every* possible apologetic argument and its counter, it a possibility if she heard a new one).

I'm going to try this with some smaller things, some minor insecurity... maybe I'll figure out a way to work it that I can go with.  *positive* *positive* yeah... I'll see if it works.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sounds like you are thinking

Sounds like you are thinking this through.  I'm not going to respond to everything you say here, just a couple of points.

Blake wrote:

People can change their opinions more easily- and under emotional pressure, opinions are very fluid and tend to conform to those of others.  It's a bit harder to ignore facts once they've gotten through, though (theists typically make use of denying the facts instead of understanding them).

This reminds me of a rather depressing finding of Michael Shermer's.  I don't remember which of his books it was, but he did an experiment with college students.  The students took a "quiz" about some beliefs/opinions they had on evolution.  They were then educated and quizzed again.  Their scores showed they understood the facts better and largely agreed that evolution happened.  A couple of years later, they were quizzed again, and many had reverted back to their old incorrect beliefs.  Not much of the education stuck long term.  So you may find yourself with a much smaller long term success rate than you hope for.

Blake wrote:

Yikes... yeah, I try to do too much at once.  Every one of those steps, actually, in the space of twenty minutes in some cases.

I'm very patient when I know something is going to work, but when there's uncertainty there, I can't stand the waiting very much- particularly with important things.

I have no patience whatsoever.  So I stuck with finding someone who held most of the same beliefs I have.  Also, I believe that trying to change someone is a waste of time and effort I could better expend on having fun with someone who doesn't need to be changed.

Blake wrote:

I'm going to try this with some smaller things, some minor insecurity... maybe I'll figure out a way to work it that I can go with.  *positive* *positive* yeah... I'll see if it works.

This sounds like a reasonable place to start and not likely to cause injury to the person you are trying to influence.  Good luck.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:This reminds me of

cj wrote:

This reminds me of a rather depressing finding of Michael Shermer's.  I don't remember which of his books it was, but he did an experiment with college students.  The students took a "quiz" about some beliefs/opinions they had on evolution.  They were then educated and quizzed again.  Their scores showed they understood the facts better and largely agreed that evolution happened.  A couple of years later, they were quizzed again, and many had reverted back to their old incorrect beliefs.  Not much of the education stuck long term.  So you may find yourself with a much smaller long term success rate than you hope for.

I'd like to do a more thorough study on something like that to determine the mode of reversion.  I've seen reversion on evolution before, and it usually has to do with apologetics taking a detour around things (offering alternative explanations/rationalizations).  I've never seen anybody who understood it well reverting.

cj wrote:

I have no patience whatsoever.  So I stuck with finding someone who held most of the same beliefs I have.  Also, I believe that trying to change someone is a waste of time and effort I could better expend on having fun with someone who doesn't need to be changed.

Not really an option for me.  All of the girls I've met, with whom I agree on each point (and those are very rare), have been pretty severely emotionally damaged- if not changing in knowledge, an ideology, or belief, they need "fixing" on account of numerous emotional issues (usually involving self-loathing).

cj wrote:
This sounds like a reasonable place to start and not likely to cause injury to the person you are trying to influence.  Good luck.

This is killing me... nearly an hour of talking and I don't feel like I've made progress.  And this is such a small thing!

I've gotten Christians to denounce their god faster than that.

I'm going to stick to it, though.  If you remember, ask me in a couple months and I'll let you know how it works (if even by then).

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)