Atheist questionnaire add-on question...

epicdean10
User is offlineOffline
Atheist questionnaire add-on question...

Hello everyone, thanks again to those who participated in my atheist questionnaire, if it's ok here is a additional question that I decided to add to the questionnaire....

What is your favorite and or most convincing arguments and evidences against substance dualism and or the existence of the human soul and or for mind/brain physicalism?

My answer: Based on what I have studied thus far the best argument or evidence is the lack of any detectable evidence for the human soul. If there is anything that you all know of as far as scientific experiments,studies, or anything from neuroscience that have been done to verify mind/brain physicalism please list them. Anyway that's the add-on question and as always, thank you for your time and for your responses. Take care.

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Depression medication can

Depression medication can alter emotions and thought processing suggesting that a chemicals are responsible for them.  Further damage to the brain can cause loss of memory, cause thought processing to diminish, diminished emotional and even delayed reactions. If all these are associated with the brain what is left to be associated with the "soul"?

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
I think that the first time

I think that the first time someone reads something by Descartes, they're always really impressed. And why not? it looks so perfect. Really everything does fit together very well.

The problem comes when you try to prove it. There you get problems like what mechanism could this possibly control this? How would it evolve? Do all other living things have a similar Dualism or just some or just humans?

Basically Dualism fails the same way as creationism. You have to become a creationist first then you can "see" the "evidence" with your Jesus glasses.

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't even understand the

I don't even understand the question. Excuse me... what?

I just don't "think" that much, you know. Your question is ridiculous.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

JonathanBC
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
epicdean10 wrote:What is

epicdean10 wrote:
What is your favorite and or most convincing arguments and evidences against substance dualism and or the existence of the human soul and or for mind/brain physicalism?

In all cases, mental states correspond to precise physical states. If someone gets brain damage, their personality can change. 

Stosis wrote:
I think that the first time someone reads something by Descartes, they're always really impressed. And why not? it looks so perfect. Really everything does fit together very well.

Lol, I was not impressed at all when I read Meditations.

I have this concept of God in head, and it couldn't have come from the natural world because nothing infinite exists in the natural world? Therefore, the only place it could have come from was God? Also, a perfect being wouldn't be evil because that implies the being is not perfect? Wtf?

Essentially, the whole thing was just ontological and semantic crap. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Natural_SciGuy
Natural_SciGuy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is the blonde female

Is the blonde female character in the video supposed to be Wendy Wright?  

These arguments have the same asinine quality as those she holds about creationism.  

Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence.
-- Richard Dawkins