Sci-Go; The brand new trend!

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sci-Go; The brand new trend!

You have all heard of Sci-Fi; science fiction.

I want to hereby introduce Sci-Go; science gossip.

Whereas Sci-Fi obviously is a narrative trick of the trade if for instance you are writing stories or creating films, Sci-Go is a bit of a different animal. It is the act of talking and spreading rumours about science - and, in particular, what this or that scientific discovery "means". Y'all know how gossip works. It is often quite malicious and hardly ever related to the facts of the matter, but is rather a reflection of the opinions of the one who's telling the story, and cleverly twisting it into being "evidence" for what he or she for a long time has been saying about this or that.

Case in point, religious delusions. Creationism. That sort of thing.

But not only that! Sci-Go is real food for apocalyptic visionaries of all kinds. Like for instance all the fucking nutters who believe that the world will end just because the fucking Mayas - who were sinister medieval death-cult indian primitives - couldn't be arsed to carry on their calendar beyond a certain point. Then you have all crystal ladies and suburban shamans of the new age. They may not understand diddely squat of what the science is about, but they sure as shit know how to extract quotes and references that, taken out of context and twisted to measure, seem to lend some academic credence to their paranoid schizophrenic claims.

What do you think?

Is Science-Gossip (Sci-Go) a word you might be tempted to use?

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

Probably not. It sounds too much like Sega when you say it.

fcaustic
fcaustic's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I think it sounds more

I think it sounds more like zygote.

kidvelvet
atheist
kidvelvet's picture
User is offlineOffline
fcaustic wrote: I think it

fcaustic wrote:

I think it sounds more like zygote.