Greetings from the Midwest

StrawberryJam
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Greetings from the Midwest

Hello everyone!

Popped in here while under a posting ban on a christian site and thought this would be a great place to go over some thoughts with others here.

Don't know what else to add at this time. Never was a thiest, was not raised by thiests. Hobbies: volunteer teach elementary age students art in a public school. Can't seem to entirely stop smoking cigarettes, or a glass of red wine from time to time. Looking for a paying job, and just happy to wake up in the morning. I had a car accident not too long ago and during my recovery started to think about giving christianity a look. I'd like to blame the medications I was on for that even though I know pain killers are not responsible for my lapse of better judgment.

Hope you all enjoy the weekend.

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! I hope you enjoy

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time here.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!StrawberryJam

Welcome!

StrawberryJam wrote:
Popped in here while under a posting ban on a christian site and thought this would be a great place to go over some thoughts with others here.

Lol. What Christian website was it? 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Zombie Jesus
Zombie Jesus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello and welcome!

Hello and welcome! Smiling

Unrepentant_Elitist
Science FreakGold Member
Unrepentant_Elitist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello and welcome!If I may

Hello and welcome!

If I may ask, from what part of the Midwest do you hail? As to the cigarettes and red wine, allow me to present the following highly detailed argument:

Enjoy yourself.

Regards,

UE

StrawberryJam
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Site....

I'd hate to post it for fear I inadvertantly end up promoting it, but it is the single largest catholic forum on the net if that helps.

You can see my posts there under the same user name I have here. I think they deleted all my posts in objection to a "miracle" thread, started by an athiest.

I guess it is not "charitable" to say simply this:

What a bunch of nonsense.

Right before that, there was a warning I recieved for reminding an athiest who posted there calling me a troll (after 5 months of posting, and lots of friends there) that he breached the rules there. However, reminding someone they breached the rules is also a breach of rules.

Ugg.

Before this, I was warned by "Evil Athiest" a freind of mine there, to be careful because they were not only on a massive banning on the site of athiests, that they took it up a notch by banning all debate of athiesm on that forum!!!!!

I was angry when I saw how I was simply being set up by this so called ban, and asked mods to shut down threads that had atheists in the topic under the ban. I told them that if there is a ban, then enforce it.

They did not like how they were loosing arguments I think. The guy who runs the site is a lawyer, and when I questioned why he did not notify his members of a major staff change on his little fifedom, and why he never posts on his own forum, he suddenly posted.

I don't think he liked the facts, and I think he is very insecure to reply to my measly post when he simply is there to rack it in. I must have hit a nerve.

Natural_SciGuy
Natural_SciGuy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm also from the Midwest -

I'm also from the Midwest - Madison, WI, to be exact.

Glad to know there are more of us here Smiling

I've been on the same forum as you allude to here.  Always good for a laugh and/or a lesson in scripture, IMHO. 

Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence.
-- Richard Dawkins

StrawberryJam
atheist
User is offlineOffline
To UE,I must have missed

To UE,

I must have missed your message while typing mine, sorry. Yes, I like your viewpoint on the indulgences I enjoy!

In the "windy city" or "smelly onion", aka chicago.

Good to see you Natural SG.

Sorry to abbreviate but I can't help it, I don't have paper handy to write your screen names down. 

Glad to finally have some time to reply back and will check out what is new here. Smiling

Warning: I am not very smart, but I am old enough to know I am smart enough to not be trenchant in views. So, if you see me erring, feel free to point it out to me. No sugar coating allowed.  

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Welcome! Laughing out loud

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Unrepentant_Elitist
Science FreakGold Member
Unrepentant_Elitist's picture
User is offlineOffline
My desultory experiences

My desultory experiences have been limited to the airport, but a compatriot has suggested a foodie tour of the city; any recommendations?

StrawberryJam
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Unrepentant_Elitist wrote:My

Unrepentant_Elitist wrote:

My desultory experiences have been limited to the airport, but a compatriot has suggested a foodie tour of the city; any recommendations?

Well, it would depend on where you are and how far you are willing to travel/pay parking ect.

I am originally from the suburbs, and relocated here to the northwest side of chicago. I am bacsically where all the firefighters and cops live. Closest to Park Ridge, not far from where Hillary grew up.

Of course, our president has been to one of the places only minutes away from me. Zia's. Right on Northwest Highway.

I would love to reccomend places I have been to, but I must tell you I have not been on the foodie loop for nearly 8 years now.

Many things have changed, but apparently I have not as much.

If your friends simply want to have some great ribs, I highly reccomend Gale Street Inn. Millwaukee and North of Lawrence. For fine dining, I could go on and on.

I wish I could be more helpful. I suppose it would depend on the mood, or intent of the person and their expectations to go from there.