as tears stream down my face

and my pace gradually gains speed

into the moonlit night of the unknown.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now, here is a perfect

Now, here is a perfect example WHY you should be yourself and soak in everything and not take my word for anything. KEEP IN MIND I am only speaking for myself.

I did not like this particular poem, but that is just me. For my taste it was not broken up enough and some of your imagery was lost on me. HAVING SAID THAT, others may read this, get it, and like it. So don't take my word for anything. I am not your voice or your teacher.

I saw pockets of it that I liked, but over all, it wasn't my cup of tea. That is just me though.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

noafterlifenow
noafterlifenow's picture
User is offlineOffline
So what parts in particular

So what parts in particular were to introverted or unclear? I just want your opinion i know to be myself^^ It would help a lot to know what parts it gives me more perspective, because I want to get this one ready for the next slam. thx Smiling

_0.0-
-@.@_
_^.^-
/*.*\
Sanity is not statistical ~Orwell~

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
noafterlifenow wrote:So what

noafterlifenow wrote:

So what parts in particular were to introverted or unclear? I just want your opinion i know to be myself^^ It would help a lot to know what parts it gives me more perspective, because I want to get this one ready for the next slam. thx Smiling

Oh boy, I really am trying to explain this to you. It doesn't matter. I bet if you let enough people read this very same poem, what you will see is a variety of opinions. In the end YOU have to decide, not me. I make it my policy not to give advice, because I have seen far to many times with others, that what I like, someone else might not, and what I don't like, someone else might.

All I can say is I didn't like this particular one. I did like others that you posted here. To me that is the way it works. I have no doubt that if enough people read this one you posted here, you will get people who liked every aspect of it.

I am not your guide or your mentor. Time and exposure to other's works and exposing your own work to others is your guide. Do not hinge your writing on the advice of any one person, especially not me.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

noafterlifenow
noafterlifenow's picture
User is offlineOffline
lmao

I'm not looking for a mentor. I would take your advice as the subjective view that it would be. But it's cool I like your honor at making me find my own way. hard core poet^^ I think i'm starting to finally see what you mean hahaha!

_0.0-
-@.@_
_^.^-
/*.*\
Sanity is not statistical ~Orwell~

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
noafterlifenow wrote:I'm not

noafterlifenow wrote:

I'm not looking for a mentor. I would take your advice as the subjective view that it would be. But it's cool I like your honor at making me find my own way. hard core poet^^ I think i'm starting to finally see what you mean hahaha!

You really do have to find your own way, otherwise you will allow your insecurities to make you second guess everything you do. I have always found that it is better to miss and not worry about missing because sometimes you do hit.

You could look at it like photography. The good ones come at the cost of clicking thousands of times. Just write, and worry about fixing it if you want to fix it. I have gone back and read stuff and thought to myself "what the fuck was I thinking". And other times I have written stuff that I said to myself and others have said, "don't change a thing".

I am not a good one to give advice other than to say to find your own way. When it is good, you know it, when it sucks you have to be willing to say it sucks. But then again, sometimes what someone else says sucks, you might like. There is no magic bullet to this. The reality is that you have to expose yourself to all sorts of things over a long period of time.

I think it is a balance. You don't want to write "hickory dickory dock" "see spot run" garbage. But at the same time you don't have to write "dog whistle" poetry so high pitched with words with 50 syllables.

My best advice is jump in, expose yourself to a variety, and be yourself.