Nothing invisible

Creeps anywhere

Not in the cosmos

Or under your bed

Shadows drink hemlock

Brings death to fear

The sunlight of scrutiny

Freed me from the cave

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

noafterlifenow
noafterlifenow's picture
User is offlineOffline
You should give me more tips

You should give me more tips on how you write in this more traditional form. This is good and its really funny man because I just wrote a poem this morning about my own childhood escape from belief in god! It's just cool I totally felt what you were saying and I love the allusion to hemlock drinking shadows that's just cool, like some Socrates juxtaposition.

_0.0-
-@.@_
_^.^-
/*.*\
Sanity is not statistical ~Orwell~

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
noafterlifenow wrote:You

noafterlifenow wrote:

You should give me more tips on how you write in this more traditional form. This is good and its really funny man because I just wrote a poem this morning about my own childhood escape from belief in god! It's just cool I totally felt what you were saying and I love the allusion to hemlock drinking shadows that's just cool, like some Socrates juxtaposition.

I am glad you liked this particular poem, but the best advice I can give you is to not take advice from me. I mentioned in your last poem thread why, go read that. I am not an expert nor do I claim to be. For me my writing is hit or miss. That is my approach but that is not everyone's approach.

I've seen plenty of others I'd advise you to pick their brains. I do this for myself, I don't want you to be a clone of me, nor should you be a clone of anyone. Be yourself, read other's, enjoy, and decide for yourself how you want to approach it.

Don't try to copy others, that is not the goal. Soak in everything and be yourself and decide for yourself.

My block form style is the one I am comfortable with and drives others nuts. But after seeing an entire Plath book in this same style, I defend the style. Style is still a different subject than word choice or imagery. And I have to admit I drop bombs more than I drop a rose when it comes to word choice and imagery.

Me personally, I don't expect a poem to be written like a sonnet or that it's meter has to be musical and perfect. But again, look around, read everything, don't hinge what you write on what I say or what I like, I am not you.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog