My brother has taken his church to the Supreme Court

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
My brother has taken his church to the Supreme Court

My younger brother, a christian of more than usually dogmatic ideology, took the charismatic church he attended for about 7 years to the Supreme Court this week.

Why? Because he and my younger sister donated about 30,000 dollars to the church's building fund and when they asked for an accounting of where the money

had gone 2 years later when no building was going on, they were unceremoniously booted out of the church. Security guards were called and the police attended.

They were marched out of the church and the pastor then preached a sermon on casting out demons and jesus' hatred of negative people.

But sadly for this church my brother's integrity is supported by his profession as a lawyer and a quality circle of legal pals and it will be interesting to see how it

pans out. Apparently, the church regularly asks for donations for the building fund, selling it from the pulpit as a push to buy and fit out a meeting hall but then

slides the money across into their operating account from which wages and bonuses are paid.

My brother doesn't expect to get anything out of it but he wants to highlight the deception churches like this use to pray on the natural generosity of members. Also

at issue for him is that the church leader constantly called on the congregation to give - the more generously, the more they would be blessed. What a crock of shit.

Just another great reason not to go to church.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
wait what, church leaders

wait what, church leaders taking money from their church members and not being accountable for the money? Come on it's for god's will, have faith people, don't need to ask dumb question as what is the money going for?, for the poor of course, for a building, for anything, just don't worry were it goes. As for the blessing part ah, the catholic church has that one beat, blessings, what a great way to make money, man I so should have been a preacher, I could have been a millionaire by now. But back to the catholic church, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence is a pretty good description. I remember my grandmother telling me stories of how the church in spain abused this, her mother told her than near then end of the 19th century the priests were going on about the end of the world and armageddon, so some people would commit suicide, however they would leave their fortunes to the church so that they could get out of purgatory. Leaving their families broke, yeah the church is great at this scam.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I agree with you

They are crazy for getting stung like this. Worst of all, the money was part of the inheritance they received when our father died. What got my bro was that he has an expectation of progression in terms of the life of the church and when this didn't happen he started wondering what else wasn't happening.

When he asked their trustees in the supreme court yesterday for an accounting of the building fund they actually said: "What's an accounting..." Fucking unbelievable.

So they will play dumb and no doubt get away with it but hopefully there might be some bad press over this.

It highlights for me yet again that church is just a collection of power hungry goons preying on the weakness and fear of ordinary people. Growing up with a minister for a father one thing that always stood out was that church leaders were classic bullies and the pastor of this church is no exception.

And the sad bastards tell us we have no morals.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Your brother shouldn't have given $30,000 to con artists in the first place. He was there for seven years, and he couldn't see this coming? 

I hate this crap! There are way too many churches that just use the hard-earned paychecks of their flock to pay for nice houses or fucking golden statues or something. Jesus would love it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
v4ultingbassist's picture
User is offlineOffline
While this is definitely

While this is definitely bad, let's not get crazy.  Not all churches are like this, and I'm of the mind to think that there are few that would do this.  I know my Catholic parish wouldn't be able pull something like this off.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Oh it's worse than that

He only gave 20,000 - my kid sister gave the other 10,000.

But younger bro lawyer and his environmental scientist wife also fully tithed a solid joint wage...for 7 years...you'd think she'd know better anyhow. That's got to be tens

of thousand a year.

I tried momentarily to resist this mega I-told-you-so opportunity but failed. Fascinatingly though, he believes it's not the church and not god but the evil of men.

In his mind this event only strengthened his belief humans are born into sin, are inherently nasty and that god is our only hope.

Spelling it out like that I almost think the bastard deserves to lose his money.

Anyway, he and his wife still tithe but they to give recognised charities - doctors without borders being one - and they manage the contributions themselves.

And he now goes to a plain old anglican church where as he explains it: "They worship god, not the pastor..."

I'll update the results of the hearing as it goes along. I can't believe anything sensible will come of this.

And I'm sure he's not the only person who's been fiscally raped by a church.

Inferno
User is offlineOffline
 Almost makes you want to

Almost makes you want to become a pastor since the pay seems to come really well. Maybe that's the way we should bring about the end of religion though. Just let the churches suck their congregations dry and then have "Atheist missionaries" who, if they can't turn the people onto science, will at least be able to warp their religion into something more benign.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
My friend was keen on

My friend was keen on getting me to join her church, which was exactly like the one you're describing - loads of money tithed by the congregation on the promise that it was going towards building a big beautiful church on the hill with all the trimmings and a giant baptismal bath and the exact same message from the pastor constantly being reinforced the more you give the more you'll be blessed etc etc, it had been the same for years while they held their weekly get togethers out of a few hired rooms in a defunct council building.

Meanwhile the pastor acquires a lot of expensive land in the snub suburb builds a house with more space than he could ever use and quite a pretty collection of special edition cars start appearing in his driveway. 

I was invited to visit his house once, and what really put me off churches for life (this was some 13 years ago BTW) after having listened to him plead in his sermon for my friend (who had three very young kids and another on the way, poor as a mouse and barely able to afford to keep a roof over her head) to donate hundreds of dollars to his church coffers "for international charities" on top of her already significant tithe, was to go to his house and be guided past three rooms frontmost of his house which were all filled with designer furniture, antiques, fine art and any other gawdy display of money you can think of, wrapped in plastic and never used, straight out to a rear section of the house where there was a full second section of living quarters. This second section was a repeat of the first three rooms, the only exception, he was using this part. 

I couldn't help wondering what he was saving the spare three rooms for, the second coming? 

Anyhow, the sickening self indulgence of this so called 'holy man' in the face of his impoverished church and congregation and the serious lack of open accounting for where the gigantic sums of money he was collecting every Sunday were going, added up in my head to a pretty obvious conclusion. I walked away gagging, but my friend alas, stayed and probably still serves as their lackey today. I mean, I know she's serving her heart out for some mad christian rip-off scheme, just don't know if its the same one.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Those kind of "christians"

Those kind of "christians" disgust me. Your brother did the next best thing from deconversion, he understood just how crooked and corupt christians can be and took action. For that I aplaud him.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yah, this shit goes on

Yah, this shit goes on everywhere.

We had a case locally where one of our Catholic churches had a priest who was managing the parish cash on his own. He pretty much had to because of what he was doing with it.

It seems that over a period of about ten years, he had embezzled a few million dollars for personal gain. Actual criminal embezzlement. He did not even spend the money on a lavish house nearby but on two condos, one in Key West and the other in the suburbs of Philly. Both were secret love nests for him and his boyfriend (remember this guy is Roman Catholic).

If that is not enough, he was buying expensive jewelry for the boyfriend including a diamond engagement ring worth something like USD $50,000 (this was prior to all the talk of legalizing gay marriage mind you) along with nice cars and other expensive gifts.

He finally got found out because one of his parishioners went to Philly on a business trip and picked up a local magazine to find the area nightlife. As it happened, there was his priest and the boyfriend on the cover, both wearing next to nothing. When the guy returned home, he got a private detective and started an investigation. Four years later, the priest is forcibly retired, in public disgrace and convicted of a bunch of criminal charges.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bow heads in silence  

Bow heads in silence  

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'm really proud of him

for sure - it's not often a god-bothering member of an atheist's family takes a church to the Supreme Court - I wish just wish half way through the hearing he'd suddenly

shriek: "Now listen you fucks - prove there's a bloody god, go one, your pea-brained fucksticks - come on - and don't quote bloody eXni!"

Sadly he's just going to drone on about the laws relating to responsible audit and other slow shit that goes through lawyers' heads that would never take root in mine.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
A sorta new question arises

A sorta new question arises from this...

Would a loving god allow his alleged messengers to rob the people for their own gain?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Nah. The godly

Will just go on about the evil of men and freewill and how this proves we all deserve to be incinerated unless we start guzzling the blood of the lamb.

I think I've been on too many theist threads today - I could just fucken scream. How can god people be so insistent there's a god at all? A jesus? How can all this mythical shit have happened that has never, ever happened since

such shit came under scientific scrutiny? Pompous lot of wankers.