Anyone know a good book printer?

Inferno
User is offlineOffline
Anyone know a good book printer?

I'm looking to have a handful (<20) books created for me and some friends. My goal is to essentially create an Atheist Bible, considering how well the Bible, and in the same respect Encyclopedia's and Dictionaries are made. Part of this is because I'm tired of having to carry around multiple books at once, and with that kind of compression I'm sure I could get several books into something the size of the Bible. Bible paper, leather cover, gold lettering, red satin bookmark attached to the spine, all of it. The books I'm currently looking to include are:

The God Delusion

god is Not Great

The End of Faith

Letter to a Christian Nation

Infidel

Breaking the Spell

So...anyone know a local and/or independent printer that might be able to help me out?

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 You're missing the most

You're missing the most important one.  

Atheism by George H Smith

But you're not allowed to reprint the books anyway.  

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
No reputable printer is

No reputable printer is going to touch that order unless you license the copyrights to all of those books first. The fees for that are probably going to cost quite a bit more than you are planning on, if you can even work a deal on them.

Also, since each book is from a different publisher, any one of them can refuse the specific title that they market, thus breaking your set.

My best advice would be to buy an e-book reader such as a kindle.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Inferno
User is offlineOffline
That was why I wanted to

That was why I wanted to find an independent publisher. I don't think there should be a problem if it's on a small scale and it is completely non-profit, aka only paying for the cost of creating the text. If it's low enough on the radar then my hope is that there shouldn't be any problem.

I own all the books both in print and as pdfs, so its something thats more symbolic and fun than something I'm trying to get to serve an agenda.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
You'd still have to have the

You'd still have to have the publishers' permission to reprint the books, even if you own the stuff (since all you own is a licensed copy of the book and the right to read and lend it subject to the applicable rules of ownership of copyrighted material in your country).  Otherwise, I believe, it's copyright infringement.  The right thing to do is to ask the owners for permission. Smiling

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

sentientmachine
User is offlineOffline
If you want to be perfectly

If you want to be perfectly legal, (a good thing when working with people who think atheism is just another word for immorality and evil) you could buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Book-Covers-Bible/dp/B0007USPJ6

Then buy the respective books you want to put in there, take out the covers and intro pages of your books and stack them back to back and glue them into the NIV bible who's pages you removed.  You might be able to fit 2 or 3 back to back in there, it's going to get the message across either way even though the text is not the bible lettering, it saves a lot of energy.

Or if you want to toy with the legal system, validating what the Religious people tell each other about us, strengthening their position...  You can acquire the text from the god delusion books somehow, print it yourself onto fine paper in the special font, use a table cutter to shape the pages, glue the pages together with the "perfect bound" method, then buy an NIV bible and glue it in there. 

It's a little less illegal to quote paragraphs of the books you mentioned with sources.  You could make your own book with a collection of paragraphs selected from your books, arrange the paragraphs into themes and verses with the Bible font and lettering, cut them to size, make it look rustic with old-time letter and thick paper and make it read like the bible lingo (thee, thou, verily I say unto you) etc, and glue it into the NIV. 

If you plan to give Bible books that are obviously stuff made to remove their faith to Religious people, your just going to validate their contempt for you.  You gotta do it in such a way that they don't know their faith is being challenged.

The idea that we should believe something because its true does not come naturally to all people. People don't believe in things because they are true, they believe in them because they are useful. Holding a belief that runs contrary to reality can be a marker that binds you to the loyalty of a tribe. Belief=Belonging=Protection. We must take heed to well informed hostility lest the situation degrades to the point of war and we are mowed down by a force greater than ourselves.

Inferno
User is offlineOffline
My goal wasn't to give it to

My goal wasn't to give it to religious people, it was merely to condense all of those books into one volume that's of average size so that it's an easy reference to carry around (an "Atheist's Bible" so to speak), and the Bible (and dictionaries and encyclopedias) is really good at doing just that. The rest was just a tongue in cheek gesture to amuse myself and anyone else who I get one for.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is a good chance that

There is a good chance that if you ask the authors directly and explain exactly what you want to do and the scope of it, that they will intervene on your behalf to grant you the licence to do it rather cheaply. A well written letter and/or email would be the best way to ask I think. If they all grant you licence, then you can look for a good but cheap printing company to print it out completely legally. Said licence is very likely to be restricted to a very few copies though, or publishers will balk. You'll probably have to pay retail price for each copy you print out, in addition to printing fees. But you won't have to keep the origins of your book secret to avoid suit and charges.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
It's looking bad for you but

It's looking bad for you but if you do manage it, remember to have anything Darwin says in red letters.