Alabama school in the news.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Alabama school in the news.

http://www.examiner.com/x-17183-Birmingham-Gay-Community-Examiner~y2009m11d10-Alabama-high-school-threatens-to-cancel-prom-if-lesbian-attends

School officials have  told 17 year old Cynthia Stewart that she could not attend her prom with her girlfriend.

Be warned: some of the comments on this are bigoted, beyond the actual situation itself.

I like this one in particular.

GeorgiaBoy says: Thank God somebody in the Alabama Educational System still has some balls !!! Take a train back north ACLU !!! I'm sure some little town has a Bible verse in a public place that you haven't found yet.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Poor bible thumping

Poor bible thumping rednecks, I bet they are still bitter about having to desegregate schools, now this. Poor bigots, my heart bleeds.

OHH MOMMY MOMMY ......Please don't let that person near me I might become a dyke myself!

Fucking assholes!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:I

Brian37 wrote:

Poor bible thumping rednecks, I bet they are still bitter about having to desegregate schools, now this. Poor bigots, my heart bleeds.

OHH MOMMY MOMMY ......Please don't let that person near me I might become a dyke myself!

Fucking assholes!

Sorry. I misunderstood the story, she was told she couldn't attend at all, with or without her girlfriend, because she is a lesbian.

It was prompted by her asking to attend with her girlfriend though.

Well that makes it even worse.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was going to post this

I was going to post this story..you win Clockcat..this time. When I first read it I stared at that comment for a good few minutes, letting my brain fully absorb the bigotry and hatred encased in so few words. Why is it that grown men/women are terrified of two girls going to a dance together? At least they won't get each other knocked up in prom tradition and then drop out of school to post hate speech online.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I am curious as to why she

I am curious as to why she asked and didn't just show up.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

She was just making sure everything was OKAY so she didn't take her girlfriend out for a bad time.

I can't fault her for that. Not to mention that if it is anything like it was at my school, you have to pay and register yourself as going in advance, as well as who you are attending with. If they are not from your school, or are not from your grade, you had to get permission.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Renee

ClockCat wrote:

She was just making sure everything was OKAY so she didn't take her girlfriend out for a bad time.

I can't fault her for that. Not to mention that if it is anything like it was at my school, you have to pay and register yourself as going in advance, as well as who you are attending with. If they are not from your school, or are not from your grade, you had to get permission.

gee, who can remember that far back for prom  Eye-wink  I do remember taking a 21 y/o to my junior homecoming dance~nobody said anything (he had a receding hairline for cryin' out loud) ~ but that was Iowa in the mid-eighties for ya!

I think it is horrible that school officials won't allow her to attend with her girlfriend. What are they so afraid of? It sounds like this young woman was a huge part of organizing the dance and even raised money for it. To me that speaks to her desire to make it a special time for everyone, too bad she is more mature in that respect than the adults.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anyone seen the update?Seems

Anyone seen the update?
Seems that the school has changed their mind.
Good work ALCU.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Man, if you ever want to get

Man, if you ever want to get your dander up just go read comments on a story about homosexuality in the south.  Wow.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote:Anyone seen

Strafio wrote:

Anyone seen the update?
Seems that the school has changed their mind.
Good work ALCU.

Indeed. I love those guys and girls.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
And to think I actually

And to think I actually spent a couple days in that state. When I left I had to take a shower and get my shots updated. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
And don't miss this,

And don't miss this,

Quote:
Now the principal says he will cancel the event for everyone if she is allowed to attend with her girlfriend.

Wow.........or this,

Quote:
He also made Cynthia remove a sticker she was wearing that said, "I am a lesbian," telling her, "You don't have that much freedom of speech at school."

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords wrote: I

That would be my initial reaction as well. Let me take this further.

She has a John Denver hair cut and she wears tags that say “I am a lesbian”. I am guessing that there were few people who did not already have an idea of what was going on. Probably anyone who did was engaging in mental compartmentalization.

Add to this that she was on the prom committee. How mentally dense did the principal have to be to not realize what was up with her?

Well, she then goes to the guy to ask for permission. Keep in mind that this is the deep south. She clearly did not get a rise out of anyone in general so she decided to force the issue. When she got the response that she was clearly fishing for, then she got the ACLU involved.

ClockCat wrote:

If the girl friend was from another school, then OK. However, I don't see that as being part of the equation. What I see is that she was trying to make a point. When she did not get the response that she wanted by being part of the planning committee, she forced the issue.

Again, given the probable social climate, I can see forcing the question. I am fine with that. But call it what it is.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

That would be my initial reaction as well. Let me take this further.

She has a John Denver hair cut and she wears tags that say “I am a lesbian”. I am guessing that there were few people who did not already have an idea of what was going on. Probably anyone who did was engaging in mental compartmentalization.

Add to this that she was on the prom committee. How mentally dense did the principal have to be to not realize what was up with her?

Well, she then goes to the guy to ask for permission. Keep in mind that this is the deep south. She clearly did not get a rise out of anyone in general so she decided to force the issue. When she got the response that she was clearly fishing for, then she got the ACLU involved.

ClockCat wrote:

If the girl friend was from another school, then OK. However, I don't see that as being part of the equation. What I see is that she was trying to make a point. When she did not get the response that she wanted by being part of the planning committee, she forced the issue.

Again, given the probable social climate, I can see forcing the question. I am fine with that. But call it what it is.

Or maybe she just didn't want to get kicked out of prom when she showed up with her date, so she made them choose early.  The button is interesting though, I imagine it caused a disruption.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
It is sad that she even felt

It is sad that she even felt she had to ask. That would be like a white girl "asking" if she could bring her black boyfriend.

Fuck the the school. I am glad that school backed off as it never should have never said no in the first place and she never should have felt like she should have had to ask.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:It is sad that

Brian37 wrote:

It is sad that she even felt she had to ask. That would be like a white girl "asking" if she could bring her black boyfriend.

Fuck the the school. I am glad that school backed off as it never should have never said no in the first place and she never should have felt like she should have had to ask.

Honestly this sounds like the higher ups in the school had a knee jerk reaction, then the aunt got involved and they decided to ask their lawyer what they should do.  The fact that they backpedaled so hard indicates they had someone tell them the legal reality of their situation.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
If she did force the issue,

If she did force the issue, the principals response to the question shows it's a damn good thing that she did. Otherwise she could well have been turned away at the door, or at any point of the evening, with no way to ever go to her prom thereafter. I recall a story or two where people just showed up and were kicked out, forcing a law suit for compensation after the fact. She could have taken such a route if she had wanted, which would have deprived the district of a significant amount of money for education.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

As I said, if it was like my high school you had to register and pay in advance, as well as the person you wanted to bring. If they were not in your grade, at your high school, then you had to get permission from the vice principle. It was generally just a signoff thing, but it was required so they knew how many people to prepare for.

I'm not entirely sure why we had to get permission.