Theist vs. Atheist: Who's your dream team?

ryancobb
User is offlineOffline
Theist vs. Atheist: Who's your dream team?

Imagine the greatest debate of all time between theists and atheists.  Who represents your side?  I'll open up several different time periods.

A. Still living

B. In the last century, not necessarily living.

C. Of any time, living or dead.

Here's my ballot:

A. Atheist: Tough pick.  I'd say maybe Daniel Dennett.  I'm not a huge fan of Richard Dawkins, although he is funny, so he'd be good for that reason.  Theist: Alvin Plantinga and ?? Another tough pick.

B. Atheist: J.L. Mackie and Bertrand Russell.  Theist: Keep Plantinga, throw in C.S. Lewis.

C. Atheist: Voltaire, Hume, maybe Nietzche?  Theist: Socrates, Augustine, Aquinas, Lewis, Plantinga

I think atheism has fewer interesting choices simply because it has been a worldview for a much shorter period of time in the west. 

Anyway, what do y'all think?

Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you're being had. --Michael Crichton

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
hard to pick; or improssible

hard to pick; or improssible to pick. I say the latter. The thing is, its impossible to say how many historical "theists" would be atheist had they been born today. Assuming that they wouldn't (de)convert, you're left with basically the last half century for the atheist side and a mish-mash of outdated ideas on the theist side. The atheist would win simply because any prominent theists are far too old to consider with modern knowledge.

jumbo1410
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Theist:A.  ...JesusB. R.

Theist:

A.  ...Jesus

B. R. Swinburne

C. King Solomon

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
If I could write a fictional

If I could write a fictional book, I'd have Hitchens debate Thomas Jefferson.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
As atheism isn't a worldview

As atheism isn't a worldview (the term has too narrow of a focus), why pick sides at all?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, for atheists I

Well, for atheists I would go with:

Living: Not Dawkins. Honestly, he does best in a controlled environment like a classroom. Best to go with someone who has experience with public performance.

James Randi would be great. Michael Shermer as a back up.

Past Century: Isaac Asimov would be great. Really skilled at explaining hard to follow concepts.

All time: Thomas Henry Huxley. Because he owned Soapy Sam Wilburforce over and over in debates.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
A.   I like your atheist

A.   I like your atheist lineup.  For the theist, Mitch Pacwa S.J., Dr Scott Hahn,  Charles Chaput OFM.

B.  H.L. Mencken and H.G. Wells in for the atheists.  Drop Plantinga, add G.K. Chesterton, Richard John Neuhaus, C.S. Lewis for the theist.

C.  Your atheist lineup is fine.  Aquinas, Chesterton, Hahn for me.

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
ryancobb wrote:A. Still

ryancobb wrote:

A. Still living

B. In the last century, not necessarily living.

C. Of any time, living or dead.

Thiest:

a.) god

b.) god

c.) god

Atheist

a.) Dennet

b.) Satre?

c.) Hume?

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”