What are the 10 top inventions by man or woman

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
What are the 10 top inventions by man or woman

I was watching a show on the science channel called "How it Works" and they were talking about the mechanics of the watch,and it made me wondered ,what are the top inventions.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Well, the wheel occurs naturally...so does fire.

I would say if it was limited to modern inventions, Tesla would probably have created a lot of them. We use on a day-to-day basis things he invented/discovered, and rely heavily on them.

Like the Alternating Current.

I'd say the cellphone is also a huge thing, as it mobilized communication to a whole new level globally.

And of course, you can't forget the internet.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:I would say if it was limited to modern invention

Well,I would say since the wheel. I was thinking about the invention of writing was one of the top inventions,and the plow,these inventions lead to so many other inventions.  

Signature ? How ?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would say that

I would say that interchangeable parts should be quite high on the list.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Top 10 Important inventions

Top 10 Important inventions of men and women.

1- Prostitution - the oldest profession. All women are hookers and all men are Johns. It's the price that is negotiated.

2-Engineering - the 2nd oldest profession. We needed money for sex, therefore engineering was devised. Plus we needed to build temples to gods so engineering was required.

3-Writing. Records of transactions needed to be kept. The largest quantity of ancient writing of Sumer & Assyria are accounting transactions.

4-Accounting. See above.

5-Philosophy. So we could make shit up why we needed temples.

6-Religion - so we had a reason for the temples.

7-Organized armies. So we could take other people's shit when the accountants told us we didn't have enough cash for hookers.

8-The harness and the saddle. This enabled better control of horses so cavalry could be more devastating and we could pilfer more booty.

9-The rifled barrel. This enabled more accurate shooting of others and enabled even larger gains of booty in warfare.

10-The Internet. Now one can steal shit from home and not even risk harm in battle in pursuit of cash and booty.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's my (rather arbitrary)

Here's my (rather arbitrary) list:

10. Compass

9. Contraceptive pills

8. Internal combustion engine

7. Telephone

6. Cement

5. Science1

4. Printing press

3. Writing

2. Wheel

1. Fire

1Okay, I know science isn't an invention. However, the application of the principles of science ranks among the greatest intellectual breakthroughs ever, right up with the wheel and fire. I put it behind writing and the printing press only because those allow the dispersal of all thoughts, which is slightly more important than empirical rationalism.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK, since we are making

OK, since we are making lists, I tried to come up with one myself. It grew to about 30 items very quickly and it was really hard to decide which 10 should make the final cut. Every single item changed the world in very important ways. Really, things like space flight and nuclear power are not even in question as far as revolutionizing the world. But if the list simply must be only 10 items, this would be what I pick.

Agriculture.

The blast furnace.

Indoor plumbing.

The gun.

Movable type.

The steam engine.

The pendulum.

The laser.

Integrated circuits.

The world wide web.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I maintain that the

I maintain that the internet is the pinnacle of human achievement so far.  

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I

Hambydammit wrote:

I maintain that the internet is the pinnacle of human achievement so far.  

this.......... with plumbing as a distant second

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
I'm surprised

that no one thought of Madame Curie and her scientific work to understand radioactivity,which lead to X-rays,nuclear medicine.   

Signature ? How ?

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I

Hambydammit wrote:

I maintain that the Internet is the pinnacle of human achievement so far.

While the ideal application of the idea certainly has the merit to possibly be the greatest achievement... I'm not sure the actual application of the idea hits the mark.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
The plow. It allowed few

The plow. It allowed few people to produce for many people. Now many members of society could perform work that was not directly related to agriculture. That freed up people to perform all of the jobs of artisans, soldiers and intellectuals.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:The Plow

Yes ,that was one of the first inventions that I wrote in post 560,quote ;the wheel,writing and the plow ,that was my response to what ClockCat wrote.

Signature ? How ?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3~~~~~~~

GIANT MILKSHAKES.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Giant Milkshakes

LOL  !!!

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
uh... inventions...shouldnt

uh... inventions...

shouldnt that mean, no "discoveries" ? maybe even no "concepts" and "theories" either

(which removes fire, theory of realitivity, generalized realms of knowledge, and other such things)

so, without further ado, Doomy's top 10 inventions list (in no particular order)

1. The Internet (its really #1, no matter how i look at it)

2. I.C.E engines

3. Plumbing

4. The Computer

5. The Gun

6. Concrete

7. Steel

8. The Sword

9. The Wheel

10. The Spear

Each other these tangible items have changed our species, our culture, and our lives, in a very extensive fashion , for better or for worse

What Would Kharn Do?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:uh...

The Doomed Soul wrote:

uh... inventions...

shouldnt that mean, no "discoveries" ? maybe even no "concepts" and "theories" either

(which removes fire, theory of realitivity, generalized realms of knowledge, and other such things)

so, without further ado, Doomy's top 10 inventions list (in no particular order)

1. The Internet (its really #1, no matter how i look at it)

2. I.C.E engines

3. Plumbing

4. The Computer

5. The Gun

6. Concrete

7. Steel

8. The Sword

9. The Wheel

10. The Spear

Each other these tangible items have changed our species, our culture, and our lives, in a very extensive fashion , for better or for worse

You forgot milkshakes.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:You forgot

ClockCat wrote:

You forgot milkshakes.

hardly... i only listed "MAN MADE" inventions...

Milkshakes are obviously an indulgent creation by Slaanesh himself, therefore divine in origin, and naughty in nature  not man made

What Would Kharn Do?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

The Doomed Soul wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

You forgot milkshakes.

hardly... i only listed "MAN MADE" inventions...

Milkshakes are obviously an indulgent creation by Slaanesh himself, therefore divine in origin, and naughty in nature  not man made

Oh, my mistake.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:While the ideal

Quote:
While the ideal application of the idea certainly has the merit to possibly be the greatest achievement... I'm not sure the actual application of the idea hits the mark.

I don't think it has to live up to its potential to be considered a success.  Let me give you an example.  I have a friend who is in one of the hard sciences.  (I'm not saying which one because he hasn't published his latest findings yet, and I'd hate to give someone else his idea.)  His latest work involves a particular geological feature that's relatively small and spread out.  I read his first draft a few days ago, and it included google-earth images.  It turns out, nobody in this field so far has thought of simply incorporating google-earth into their work.  A little open-source software, and before you know it, everybody in this field in the world is going to have insti-click access to all the relevant data through google.  Without giving away too much, I can't say how huge the impact is going to be, but it's essentially going to revolutionize the field.

Consider what the internet has done for atheism.  People all over the country who have never even mentioned their lack of belief in public now realize just how many of us there are, and how strong our arguments are.  Consider that when I grew up (before the internet or cell phones) I literally didn't even know there was such a thing as an atheist until I was almost out of high school, and I was in college before I understood what an atheist was.  It is very, very difficult to raise a child in America in such ignorance anymore.  It will be harder still for the next generation.

Think of how much research time has been saved since entire university libraries have been moved online, and everybody from undergrads to post-docs can find precisely what they're looking for in a tenth of the time it used to take.  Trust me.  I was an undergrad during the Dewey Card days.  I'd spend 30 minutes going through microphish to find two or three possible sources, then spend fifteen or twenty minutes finding the right journal on the right shelf on the right floor -- if it happened to be there -- or an hour if I had to go to the attendant, who had to look through the paper records to discover that it had been returned, but wasn't reshelved properly -- only to get the journals back to my desk, skim them, and discover that they weren't what I needed.

The thing the internet has done, more than any other human invention, is provide a vehicle for virtually instantaneous global movement of virtually unlimited amounts of data.  We haven't begun to tap into the power that gives us for analysis of enormous systems, data collection, etc, but what we have done is still pretty amazing.

The other day, I looked on google-maps for directions, and saw actual images of every turn I was going to make so that they looked familiar to me when I saw them for the first time.  I could have done that for any address within a hundred miles, and most addresses in the U.S.  As mundane as this may seem, considering I was just going for fried catfish, that kind of thing is immensely useful to a lot of people, and it's still a pretty infant technology.  

The conspiracy nuts are very scared of unified knowledge, but it's an amazing ability that's never before been available to humans.  Already, you can unite scientists on all seven continents to work on a single project in real time.  Already, Wikipedia -- though flawed in a lot of ways -- is a damn good start on "Everything In The World for Dummies."  

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism