A new addition to the periodic table

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
A new addition to the periodic table

In the next few weeks element 112, formerly ununbium, will be formally recognised as a member of the periodic table.

Elements 113, 114, 116, and 118 are under consideration.

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Interesting. The list grows

Interesting. The list grows and becomes ever more solid.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

GermanMike
Blogger
GermanMike's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fascinating

When chemists/physicits create ever larger elements who then exists for fractions of microseconds.

-----------------------------------------------------

Who asks me inappropiate questions also has to live with the answers I may give.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
GermanMike wrote:When

GermanMike wrote:

When chemists/physicits create ever larger elements who then exists for fractions of microseconds.

The point about this element is that the first isotope produced lasted some milliseconds, and a version with more neutrons lasted seconds.

This supports the hypothesis of "islands of stability" for nucleii with some combinations of large numbers of protons and neutrons well beyond that of the known stable elements.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology