Theist challange: provide a rational definition of god

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Theist challange: provide a rational definition of god

In a recent topic, HisWillness floated the idea that, as there is no rational, coherent definition of god, any discussion of god is inherently ridiculous. I think it's rather like debating whether Batman could defeat Superman, myself.

In that thread, I asked a rhetorical question: what is the minimum requirements for a god? Before you can define god, you'll need some rubric by which to judge whether your definition is of god or not. For instance, is it necessary that god created the universe? Is it necessary that god intended to create humans? And so on.

Here's your challange, theists and atheists alike: provide the minimum requirements for god, and present a coherent, rational definition of god that covers the minimum requirements.

After, we'll discuss who would be better against a zombie dragon attack, Wonder Woman or Jar Jar Binks.

{{MOD EDIT:  Moved to AvT -HD}}

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
crazymonkie wrote:If you

crazymonkie wrote:

If you cannot do this, I will assume you are either utterly full of shit, or simply totally ignorant of how philosophy, or even just philosophical bullshitting sessions like this, work.

i'll take all 3, for 500 Alex

What Would Kharn Do?

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Kevin R Brown

iwbiek wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

PS: iwbiek, just ignore treat2 as best you can. The plan is to watch him die the agonizing death of attention starvation and drift off to elsewhere on the internets.

oh, i'm done.  he said i wasn't worth debating but here he goes debating me anyway.  and he's got theists trying to back him up now.  i've noticed even mentioning the name einstein draws theists like sharks to a trail of blood.

anyway, haven't you heard?  apparently i'm menopausal, so i can't help but lash out occassionally.

which shows yet again how full of shit treat is.  it has nothing to do with me being menopausal.  fact is, i just had a hysterectomy.  and it's really......HARD!

Yup! You're definitely done.

Einstein's "God letter":

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/may/13/peopleinscience.religion

As I said, and so did Einstein (above), he was a closet Atheist, foo!

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

crazymonkie wrote:

If you cannot do this, I will assume you are either utterly full of shit, or simply totally ignorant of how philosophy, or even just philosophical bullshitting sessions like this, work.

i'll take all 3, for 500 Alex

DING DING DING! You just hit the Daily Double!

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/2

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24668015/

A letter by Albert Einstein, written in German, was sold to someone with "a passion for theoretical physics."

The Associated Press
LONDON - A letter in which Albert Einstein dismissed the idea of God as the product of human weakness and the Bible as "pretty childish" has sold at auction for more than $400,000.

-----------
No. That settles it.

Einstein was definitely a closet Atheist, as I said,AND
see post above for link to translation of Einstein's actual "God letter."

Enjoy!

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:This

Paisley wrote:
This necessarily implies that we will be talking about ultimate reality (or, if you like, the noumenal world). If science has taught us anything is that the phenomenal world is not what it appears to be.

Neither science nor philosophy has taken noumena seriously since Kant. Don't be a Kant.

Paisley wrote:
HisWillness wrote:
But let's start with that: reality has, at its basis, consciousness. So ... how has that helped to describe a god?

That's pantheism. And it forms the basis for religious mysticism in all its many forms (e.g. Jewish Kabbalah, Christian mysticism, Sufism (Islam), Taoism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Jainism, Hinduism, Gnosticism, New Age spiritual practices, etc.). 

Awesome. Still no closer to a definition.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
crazymonkie wrote:I'd go

crazymonkie wrote:

I'd go with (1) myself. We can sort of come up with a coherent definition- but the meanings seem to be so different as to be utterly meaningless.

I think we're drifting into Hume's Fork territory here, though. I mean, we're not over the line, but we're pretty close.

Oh, we're there. This was Hume's argument years ago, that religious discussions are non-factual wordplay. The more modern "empty name" concept is considered more advanced, but functionally equivalent. It's the second part, where a really solid definition falls apart: that's what I'm trying to work on. Thus far, we have basically nothing. God = universe isn't really an answer, as far as I'm concerned, because that's like deciding that your picket fence is God.

crazymonkie wrote:
Also, this:

Quote:
"ultimate reality" (=set of all noumena?)

.... I think, just gave me a little aneurism. I've got to lay off the Heidegger and Derrida.

Yeah, no kidding. I don't really have a problem with the phenomenologists, but Derrida can just get you down. But the noumenon concept has been flushed repeatedly at this point, because it eats its own tail. We just Kant go down that road.

Serioulsly, how many Kant puns can I get through?

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

crazymonkie wrote:

I think we're drifting into Hume's Fork territory here, though. I mean, we're not over the line, but we're pretty close.

Oh, we're there. This was Hume's argument years ago, that religious discussions are non-factual wordplay. The more modern "empty name" concept is considered more advanced, but functionally equivalent. It's the second part, where a really solid definition falls apart: that's what I'm trying to work on. Thus far, we have basically nothing. God = universe isn't really an answer, as far as I'm concerned, because that's like deciding that your picket fence is God.

Good point. And I agree, we really don't have anything. I've even given myself a couple of days, and all I keep doing is running through variants of modern apologetics' claims to 'proofs' of a monotheistic god. All of which, as we know, were steamrolled by Kant. Among others.

Quote:

crazymonkie wrote:
Also, this:

Quote:
"ultimate reality" (=set of all noumena?)

.... I think, just gave me a little aneurism. I've got to lay off the Heidegger and Derrida.

Yeah, no kidding. I don't really have a problem with the phenomenologists, but Derrida can just get you down. But the noumenon concept has been flushed repeatedly at this point, because it eats its own tail. We just Kant go down that road.

Serioulsly, how many Kant puns can I get through?

Derrida is entertaining, though. So there is that.

And I Kant see an end to the puns. It's just too easy, with a homophone like 'Kant'.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
crazymonkie wrote:... or

crazymonkie wrote:

... or even just philosophical bullshitting sessions like this, ...

I just felt a lovely breeze of ... yes, I think it was honesty.

I"d like to second the above. Internet forums are like turbo-charged bull sessions. This one runs through the history of philosophy, so it's not an uninteresting session, but let's not forget the humour here.

For anyone who's wondering, the humour is the ever-diminishing possibility of getting a definition for a god that could be turned into a hypothesis. I'm not saying I'm surprised, but it is pretty entertaining.

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, I learned quite a while

Hey, I learned quite a while ago that Internet arguments are essentially absurdist comedy, and to take them seriously is to be bothered by something that really has no connection to reality. It can be fun, and most of the time it's ridiculous, but I've not taken it seriously for quite some time.

As to a coherent definition- Oddly enough, I think Kevin got closest. Well, besides Eloise, but that was pretty much a given.

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Are you talking about

Quote:
Are you talking about sexual attraction or love? (I seriously doubt that most people think of love simply in sexual terms, even romantic love.) Besides all you have is correlation, not identification.

Both (love is about sexual attraction).

And causation has been rather firmly established.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:

treat2 wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24668015/ A letter by Albert Einstein, written in German, was sold to someone with "a passion for theoretical physics." The Associated Press LONDON - A letter in which Albert Einstein dismissed the idea of God as the product of human weakness and the Bible as "pretty childish" has sold at auction for more than $400,000. ----------- No. That settles it. Einstein was definitely a closet Atheist, as I said,AND see post above for link to translation of Einstein's actual "God letter." Enjoy!

hehe I can't resist

Quote:

'Rather quirky about religion'
Einstein experts say the letter supports the argument that the physicist held complex, agnostic views on religion. He rejected organized faith but often spoke of a spiritual force at work in the universe.

John Brooke, emeritus professor of science and religion at Oxford University, said the letter lends weight to the notion that "Einstein was not a conventional theist" — although he was not an atheist, either.

"Like many great scientists of the past, he is rather quirky about religion, and not always consistent from one period to another," Brooke said.

Born to a Jewish family in Germany in 1879, Einstein said he went through a devout phase as a child before beginning to question conventional religion at the age of 12.

In later life, he expressed a sense of wonder at the universe and its mysteries — what he called a "cosmic religious feeling" — and famously said: "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

You fail with your own link

Anywho, I don't usually like the arguments from authority game, but I do like pwning treat2 whenever the chance arises. Smiling

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dammit, don't feed the treat!

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
crazymonkie wrote:Dammit,

crazymonkie wrote:

Yet we still feed the Paisley?

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good point.

Good point.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Paisley

HisWillness wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Okay. Then this definition of agnosticism is not necessarily incompatible with theism.

The reason I present for that is that there's no way of knowing anything about a god. Gods are unknowable, and thus everyone is agnostic.

Everyone does not profess to be agnostic (i.e. without knowledge) of God. You are simply making a generalization based on your own experience. You are without knowledge. Therefore, you conclude that everyone else is without knowledge. (It's somewhat like saying that since I am tone deaf everyone else must also be tone deaf.)

By the way, I was using the term in relation to gnosticism (the view that God can be known). Someone who subscribes to gnosticism can say that he is agnostic even though he truly believes that knowledge of God is possible and indeeds strives for it. Of course, knowledge here refers to mystical union with the divine.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Paisley

nigelTheBold wrote:

Paisley wrote:

The Copenhagen interpretation (a.k.a. the standard intepretation) upholds quantum indeterminism. And it is true that the many worlds interpetation is a deterministic one. But what scientific evidence do you have for parallel worlds?

What scientific evidence do you have for a universal consciousness?

As you have established, your criteria for "evidence" is, "Any assertion that supports my position." Please, we're asking for scientific evidence.

Scientific evidence?

1) quantum physics

2) Parapsychology

Also, keep in mind that I do not subscribe to scientism. I do not believe that science is the only avenue to knowledge. That's your dogma, not mine.

What evidence do you have for parallel universes?

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I do not

Paisley wrote:

I do not believe that science is the only avenue to knowledge. That's your dogma, not mine.

What other "avenues" do you use?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:I had a

HisWillness wrote:

I had a feeling that nobody would be able to find a coherent definition for a god, but I didn't expect the failure to be so spectacular.

I provided the mininum requirements. You have failed to explain why it is incoherent.

HisWillness wrote:
In both cases, we have an unverifiable (unfalsifiable) entity.

I agree that God as such is unfalsifiable. But this seems like a ridiculous demand to me. It's tantamount to saying that absolute truth must be falsifiable. It's a contradiction in terms. It presupposes God's nonexistence by insisting that God must be falsifiable. I guess this is what separates believers from unbelievers. To the believer, it's not possible that God does not exist. To the unbeliever, it's not possible that God does exist.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:He ran

nigelTheBold wrote:
He ran some experiments that seemed to support this theorem. Until recently, it has held true. Over the last decade or so, a bunch of young theoretical physicists like Joy Christian have developed models which do in fact reproduce the predictions of quantum mechanics, and do so in ways that are deterministic. In the case of Joy Christian, his model predicts the outcome of Bell's experiments, basically negating Bell's Theorem, as the exact same evidence that supports Bell's Theorem also supports Christian's model. This doesn't mean there are hidden variables, of course; it just means that physical theories of local hidden variables can reproduce all the predictions of quantum mechanics.

Recently, there's been a renewal in interest in local hidden variables, in part because of these recent successes; but also because the Copenhagen Interpretation hasn't gotten us very far. You'd figure that in 60 years we'd be much farther along than we are in our understanding of QM. So a lot of the current brains in theoretical physics are questioning the Copenhagen Interpretation. Since abandoning the Copenhagen Interpretation, there've been some very promising models developed, such as CDT (which I mentioned above), quantum loop gravity, and so on.

It's all very exciting.

It's appears to be wishful-thinking based on a faith-commitment to materialism. You want to have the power to "predict and control." That's the lure.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

nigelTheBold wrote:
Paisley wrote:

To form some kind of hypothesis requires some kind of evidence. Or did you just manufacture your universal quantum mind theory out of thin air? Besides, CCC is just as valid of intepretation of QM as any other interpretation. So, don't say there isn't any evidence. There most certainly is.

An hypothesis is not evidence. That's ludicrous.

I didn't say that it was. But to craft a hypothesis requires some evidence. Did you create the quantum mind theory out of thin air? (By the way, there really are quantum mind theories).

nigelTheBold wrote:
So, no, there isn't any evidence. And CCC isn't not just as valid as any other model.

I said INTERPRETATION, not model. And it as valid as any other interpretation. In fact, it is the most parsimonious interpretation.

nigelTheBold wrote:
First, it doesn't make testable predictions.

No interpretation does!

nigelTheBold wrote:
Second, it doesn't explain much of anything.

It explains the collaspe of the wave function.

nigelTheBold wrote:
Third, there's not even any math to back it up. So, no, Paisley, it's not "just as valid of interpretation" as any other interpretation. And an interpretation isn't a model anyway.

That's right. An interpretation isn't a model. So why are you making this ridiculous argument?

nigelTheBold wrote:
I didn't present the universal quantum mind as an hypothesis. I presented it as a hypothetical solution to the silly question posed in the OP.

But the fact is that quantum mind hypotheses (that are testable) have been postulated by eminent physicists. So, I guess it's not so silly!

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

nigelTheBold wrote:

Paisley wrote:
If it hasn't proven to be correct, then I guess it really isn't that successful. Besides, you have failed to provide me with anything that suggests that CDT has render quantum indeterminism or superposition obsolete.

And you call me disingenuous.

You are.

nigelTheBold wrote:
No model of QM has proven to be correct.

Quantum theory is assumed to be correct until falsified. To my knowledge, it has not been falsified. I believe that is how science works.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Paisley

butterbattle wrote:

Paisley wrote:
I have already defined consciousness in another thread as awareness. We both know that. And it cannot be defined in more simpler terms.

Can you define awareness?

You don't know what the term means? Do you need me to also define the  term "is" for you?

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:treat2

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

treat2 wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24668015/ A letter by Albert Einstein, written in German, was sold to someone with "a passion for theoretical physics." The Associated Press LONDON - A letter in which Albert Einstein dismissed the idea of God as the product of human weakness and the Bible as "pretty childish" has sold at auction for more than $400,000. ----------- No. That settles it. Einstein was definitely a closet Atheist, as I said,AND see post above for link to translation of Einstein's actual "God letter." Enjoy!

hehe I can't resist

Quote:

'Rather quirky about religion'
Einstein experts say the letter supports the argument that the physicist held complex, agnostic views on religion. He rejected organized faith but often spoke of a spiritual force at work in the universe.

John Brooke, emeritus professor of science and religion at Oxford University, said the letter lends weight to the notion that "Einstein was not a conventional theist" — although he was not an atheist, either.

"Like many great scientists of the past, he is rather quirky about religion, and not always consistent from one period to another," Brooke said.

Born to a Jewish family in Germany in 1879, Einstein said he went through a devout phase as a child before beginning to question conventional religion at the age of 12.

In later life, he expressed a sense of wonder at the universe and its mysteries — what he called a "cosmic religious feeling" — and famously said: "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

You fail with your own link

Anywho, I don't usually like the arguments from authority game, but I do like pwning treat2 whenever the chance arises. Smiling

Below is a link to a translation of Einstein's "God letter" it was a private letter written only ONE YEAR BEFORE HE DIED.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/may/13/peopleinscience.religion

Read it and weep, foo.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I provided the

Paisley wrote:
I provided the mininum requirements. You have failed to explain why it is incoherent.

You said "consciousness", and I'm conscious, so that would mean that I meet the minimum requirements, and by your minimum requirements, I'm a god. So maybe you want to include a few more things.

Paisley wrote:
I agree that God as such is unfalsifiable.

Right. As such, God is also unknowable. Thus, agnosticism is not a distinction, because everyone is. Weak atheism is waiting for evidence that can never come. Ever.

Paisley wrote:
But this seems like a ridiculous demand to me. It's tantamount to saying that absolute truth must be falsifiable. It's a contradiction in terms.

Right, we're back to empty names again. "Absolute truth" has no referent. It doesn't play out any better than the noumenon.

Paisley wrote:
It presupposes God's nonexistence by insisting that God must be falsifiable. I guess this is what separates believers from unbelievers. To the believer, it's not possible that God does not exist. To the unbeliever, it's not possible that God does exist.

This isn't even about possible existence. It's about knowledge. What we know about God is pure fantasy. That's what I'm saying. If we can't know anything about God, we're making it up.

Is there a God out there? No way to know. But that means anything we say about that creature does not necessarily reference that creature, except maybe by accident, and the odds are so strongly against us as to be overwhelming.

manofmanynames (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
negligible wrote:So god is a

negligible wrote:

So god is a psychological crutch? A figment of our imagination that we accept because it makes us feel good?

That's not a bad definition of god, I reckon.

Well, all worldviews posses a sort of object at the center of it, you masturbatory relationship towards science, is one such "object". You profess science to be only conveyor of truth, as science as the truth the way and the life, this i what can be easily gathered from your blog. You claim it as poetic conveyor of reality, you hold science as not only the purveyor of the workings of the natural world, but as the poetics of existence as well, as poetic truth too:  "Reality waxes poetic about the vastness her bounds".

Where you hold science as that object, I as a christian hold Jesus Christ. I am not a devotee of scientism as you, I don't extend science beyond it's limit, make claims of it, that it would not hold of itself, such as your faith position here: "Science obsoleted all other epistemologies".. 

Unlike you science for me, only informs my worldview, a means to understand certain truths, but not all forms of truth, it's not all encompassing as your make it out to be, science has very little to do with what I perceive to be moral or not. Or why I perceive liberation, love, justice, and hope as the highest of human ideals. 

Your own beliefs, I find to be far more sillier, and repulsive than mine, in fact most of the world would. But you can have your delusions, your imagenary beliefs in the poetic nature of the cosmos, because it gives you the warm and fuzzies. 

Quote:
Ha ha. You called me "negligible."

don't worry it wasn't intentional, I'm guessing the spell checker must have done it. 

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote: From the

treat2 wrote:
From the Press to the Pope, all eyes were on him, and BTW the Pope called on him to delay the public release of the Big-Bang theory until Einstein had met with the Pope at the Vatican to discuss the implications of it, for Christianity.

Um treat2, if you have a link for that meeting, I would love to see it. Got linkage?

Seriously, it is unlikely that that meeting took place as Einstein did not advance the big bang as a theory. In fact, at the point in time when it would have happened, Einstein was still advocating for a static universe.

What did happen and is documented history is that Einstein came up with general relativity which pretty much required a dynamic universe. Since there was no reason to assume an expanding universe in 1918 and not data on a contracting universe (since it isn't doing that), Einstein added the cosmological constant to his math to make it fit with then current observations.

Then in 1931 Georges Lemaître published what would become the seminal paper on big bang cosmology. BTW: Georges Lemaître is the catholic priest in my current avatar.

Shortly thereafter, the pope decided that this was wonderful because not only has science “proved” special creation but the specific guy was one of his own. At that point, Lemaître was able to gain a special audience with the pope to tell him to basically cut out his enthusiasm over the matter as it was still possible that future work would tell a sufficiently different story as to embarrass the church for going wild over what essentially has not been done.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Yeah, no

HisWillness wrote:

Don't Hume mean that road leads nowhere?

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:nigelTheBold

Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

What scientific evidence do you have for a universal consciousness?

As you have established, your criteria for "evidence" is, "Any assertion that supports my position." Please, we're asking for scientific evidence.

Scientific evidence?

1) quantum physics

2) Parapsychology

Also, keep in mind that I do not subscribe to scientism. I do not believe that science is the only avenue to knowledge. That's your dogma, not mine.

Quantum mechanics is a statistical descriptive model. It isn't evidence for anything, except that our measurements of quantum events are statistical. The fact that you use it to support your own brand of woo notwithstanding, it is not evidence for universal consciousness.

As for parapsychology: all you have is very minor correlations. As you pointed out concerning the chemicals associated with feelings of love, correlation is not evidence of causation.

And I can can that you believe there are other avenues for knowledge. That's obvious by your confusion concerning scientific materialism, and the fact that you can't tell propositions from evidence. Your epistemic sloppiness is written all over your posts.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Excuse me, can we borrow

Excuse me, can we borrow your Paisley, please ? Ours left the placebo thread in the middle of getting his butt kicked. We'd like him to come back and say uncle.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Everyone does

Paisley wrote:
Everyone does not profess to be agnostic (i.e. without knowledge) of God.

Yeah, I know. My argument is that all people are, because gods are unknowable. Professing to not know something unknowable is redundant.

Paisley wrote:
By the way, I was using the term in relation to gnosticism (the view that God can be known). Someone who subscribes to gnosticism can say that he is agnostic even though he truly believes that knowledge of God is possible and indeeds strives for it. Of course, knowledge here refers to mystical union with the divine.

Yeah, the mystical union with the divine. More empty names.

(1) "god" has no referent, or
(2) the definition of "god" is internally inconsistent.

It doesn't really matter if you use the word to mean "doesn't know" or "can't know", because I'm demonstrating both cases. If you had maybe a definition that would serve as a counter-example, that would be great.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:Well,

manofmanynames wrote:

Well, all worldviews posses a sort of object at the center of it, you masturbatory relationship towards science, is one such "object". You profess science to be only conveyor of truth, as science as the truth the way and the life, this i what can be easily gathered from your blog. You claim it as poetic conveyor of reality, you hold science as not only the purveyor of the workings of the natural world, but as the poetics of existence as well, as poetic truth too:  "Reality waxes poetic about the vastness her bounds".

Damn! I really did leave out the "of". I reckon I'll have to fix that.

I profess experience and rationality to be the only conveyor of truth. I profess is science is the only conveyor of objective knowledge. I don't seek "truth."

Thanks for visiting Paperdove. I really need to post more. In case you were wondering, "Reality used to be a friend of mine" was a hip-hop song by PM Dawn. There were references there specifically for my friends, whom I figured were the only ones to ever drop by.

Quote:

Where you hold science as that object, I as a christian hold Jesus Christ. I am not a devotee of scientism as you, I don't extend science beyond it's limit, make claims of it, that it would not hold of itself, such as your faith position here: "Science obsoleted all other epistemologies".. 

Did it not? What other epistemology provides objective knowledge about the working of reality? I know of no other.

Quote:

Unlike you science for me, only informs my worldview, a means to understand certain truths, but not all forms of truth, it's not all encompassing as your make it out to be, science has very little to do with what I perceive to be moral or not. Or why I perceive liberation, love, justice, and hope as the highest of human ideals. 

Fair enough. Although I believe science is able to inform those beliefs, and perhaps explain why they are rational, that is a legitimate position. I would quibble about the use of "forms of truth," as I believe "truth" is often subjective, and not truth at all, but a label we place on things we wish to place outside the bounds of discussion. But otherwise, I can't find much fault at all with that position.

As someone who believes science is the only path to objective knowledge of reality, I would have to agree with your moral conclusions. The reason is simple: we are inherently subjective creatures. We do irrational things simply for the sake of enjoyment. Our concepts of "right" and "wrong" may have some rational foundation, but they are often subjective. That is why two people might have differing opinions on whether an action is or is not moral.

Quote:

Your own beliefs, I find to be far more sillier, and repulsive than mine, in fact most of the world would. But you can have your delusions, your imagenary beliefs in the poetic nature of the cosmos, because it gives you the warm and fuzzies. 

What is repulsive about the desire to know the fundamental nature of the universe? What is silly about the wish to discern fantasy from reality? If you'd've stopped at "sillier," I might agree. But "repulsive?" Why? Because I reject the fantasy of god? Because I prefer the rational and observable reality, as cold as it might be, over the comforting lies that are often used to control others?

What I find repulsive is that anyone would need an excuse to be good.

Quote:

Quote:
Ha ha. You called me "negligible."

don't worry it wasn't intentional, I'm guessing the spell checker must have done it. 

Drat! I honestly thought it was funny. It still is funny. I hope you keep doing it.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
crazymonkie wrote:Paisley

crazymonkie wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Just curious. What's the chemical formula for love?

How the fuck would I know that? I'm not a science guy, but I have enough sense to realize that emotions are properties of physical brains. Which means that love is a chemical reaction (coming from the brain, as all emotions do.)

That's why I was asking you. And evidently you don't know. You are simply making a naked assertion and asking us to take it on faith.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:Paisley wrote:I

treat2 wrote:

Paisley wrote:
I commend you on your diligent research.

"I'm not an atheist." That settles it. Einstein was not an atheist. However, Einstein appears to be wavering or backpedaling when he says "and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist" (emphasis mine). I THINK that maybe we can call him a pantheist based on his statement: "I believe in the God of Spinoza." The God of Spinoza is clearly a pantheistic one. Also, that Einstein extolls the virtues of Buddhism also lends support to the idea that Einstein embraced some form of pantheism. Moreover, it would appear to me that Einstein objection to quantum theory was not based on scientific grounds but religious ones (the God of Spinoza is a completely deterministic one and quantum theory is incompatible with determinism).1

1 "Eintein and God" by Thomas Torrance"

I've never failed to enlighten an educated person. However, I can not enlighten fools such as yourself.

Flinging ad hominem attacks is a tactic employed by those who have no counterargument.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
crazymonkie

crazymonkie wrote:

"Awareness" can't be in a void. It is always awareness of something.

No it isn't. And we have already discussed this. I have experienced pure awareness. Evidently, you have not. Also, qualifying it with "of" does not really change anything.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
crazymonkie wrote:Everyone

crazymonkie wrote:

Everyone here can grasp the terms just fine. It's a problem of definition. The problem stems entirely from your willful obfuscation and blatant abuse of terminology for your own purposes. You can't even use jargon right.

I'll ask just once- because it seems like a rite of passage around here to do it- Give me a coherent definition of "consciousness" that does NOT employ the term "awareness." There are enough synonyms in the English language to do this. Oh, and it has to be a MULTI-WORD DEFINITION. Not just a synonym for "Awareness."

If you think you're going to come here and bully me around, then you're sorely mistaken. Either you understand the term "awareness" or you don't. If you don't, then I will ask you to humbly bow out because you clearly do not have the intellectual capacity to debate me or anyone else. It's that simple.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:If you think

Paisley wrote:

If you think you're going to come here and bully me around, then you're sorely mistaken. Either you understand the term "awareness" or you don't. If you don't, then I will ask you to humbly bow out because you clearly do not have the intellectual capacity to debate me or anyone else. It's that simple.

Alright. So you are unable to provide a coherent referent for "awareness." That's okay. As HisWillness has pointed out, each of us experiences awareness.

How is that applicable to both an attribute and definition of god? As awareness is inherently subjective, it still provides no logical framework for your definition of god. You have failed the initial challange: provide a set of minimal attributes for god, and from those, build a rational, coherent definition.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:

treat2 wrote:

Spinoza was a pantheist. Why? Because he held that the physical and mental are one and the same. Philosophically, this is known as dual-aspect monism or neutral monism (it is not compatible with atheistic materialism). Theologically, this is known as pantheism. Albert Einstein publicly professed to believe in the God of Spinoza.

Quote:
Spinoza contends that "Deus sive Natura" ("God or Nature" ) is a being of infinitely many attributes, of which thought and extension are two. His account of the nature of reality, then, seems to treat the physical and mental worlds as one and the same

(source: Wikipedia: Spinoza)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinoza

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

HisWillness wrote:

Paisley wrote:
This necessarily implies that we will be talking about ultimate reality (or, if you like, the noumenal world). If science has taught us anything is that the phenomenal world is not what it appears to be.

Neither science nor philosophy has taken noumena seriously since Kant. Don't be a Kant.

Philosophical theology is alive and well. Just because you are ignorant of this does not change the fact.

HisWillness wrote:
Paisley wrote:
That's pantheism. And it forms the basis for religious mysticism in all its many forms (e.g. Jewish Kabbalah, Christian mysticism, Sufism (Islam), Taoism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Jainism, Hinduism, Gnosticism, New Age spiritual practices, etc.). 

Awesome. Still no closer to a definition.

I provided the minimum requirements for a God-concept. I have yet to see you provide any rationale for why it is incoherent. Thus far, the only objection is: "But I don't undestand what the term "awareness" means."

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Paisley

Kevin R Brown wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Are you talking about sexual attraction or love? (I seriously doubt that most people think of love simply in sexual terms, even romantic love.) Besides all you have is correlation, not identification.

Both (love is about sexual attraction).

No, love is not simply about sexual attraction. I think you're conflating lust with love. And certainly, the love that a mother has for her child is not sexual.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
And causation has been rather firmly established.

No, it has not be firmly established. Correlation is not causation. 

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Paisley

butterbattle wrote:

Paisley wrote:

I do not believe that science is the only avenue to knowledge. That's your dogma, not mine.

What other "avenues" do you use?

Subjective experiences. This probably explains why I am the only one here able to understand the meaning of the term "awareness."

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I provided the

Paisley wrote:

I provided the minimum requirements for a God-concept. I have yet to see you provide any rationale for why it is incoherent. Thus far, the only objection is: "But I don't undestand what the term "awareness" means."

As has been pointed out, "awareness" is insufficient as a minimum requirement for a god-concept.

Our objection isn't that we don't know what awareness means. What we are objecting to is that you think it means something other than it does. You have a habit of embuing common words with "spirituality," and expecting us to go along with it as if you mean what we do. This has led to both confusion (which I believe is intentional on your part, as you a duplicitous, underhanded, intellectually-dishonest, and you probably cheat on your taxes) and an inability to reach common understanding (which is also mostly likely intentional on your part, as you like to punch babies, sodomize puppies, and masturbate to pictures of Guantanomo detainees).

It is your sophistry and equivocation which makes us suspicious of your use of words. For instance, I believe you are going to suggest that "awareness" implies a god-concept, without bothering to note that it makes your whole argument circular.

This is what I mean by "incoherent."

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Subjective

Paisley wrote:

Subjective experiences. This probably explains why I am the only one here able to understand the meaning of the term "awareness."

Ah! So you are narcissistic as well. I suspected as much.

As has been pointed out several times, "subjective" experience is no avenue to knowledge of the nature of reality. Otherwise, you'd have to believe in UFOs, bigfoot, mothman, and the ravings of every delusional paranoid on the planet.

Do you believe in UFOs, bigfoot, and mothman?

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:Below is a link

treat2 wrote:
Below is a link to a translation of Einstein's "God letter" it was a private letter written only ONE YEAR BEFORE HE DIED. http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/may/13/peopleinscience.religion Read it and weep, foo.

But you failed to acknowledge that your own link (as Captain Pineapple has pointed out) explicitly states that Einstein "often spoke of a spiritual force at work in the universe." Just FYI. "Spiritual force" is a euphemism for "God"or the "will of God."

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

HisWillness wrote:
Paisley wrote:

You said "consciousness", and I'm conscious, so that would mean that I meet the minimum requirements, and by your minimum requirements, I'm a god. So maybe you want to include a few more things.

You are simply being evasive because you don't have a real counterargument. I have already responded to this objection. This is what brought up the whole talk about the noumenal world. Remember "ultimate reality?"

Now, if you say that the term "consciousness" or "awareness" is meaningless, then you are either playing stupid or you actually are. Either way, we can't continue this debate. How can you have an intelligent debate with an individual who is incapable of understanding the most basic of terms? Answer: You can't.

HisWillness wrote:
Paisley wrote:
I agree that God as such is unfalsifiable.

Right. As such, God is also unknowable.

It's a nonsequitur. I didn't say unverifiable. I said unfalsifiable. There's a difference between the two.

HisWillness wrote:
Paisley wrote:
But this seems like a ridiculous demand to me. It's tantamount to saying that absolute truth must be falsifiable. It's a contradiction in terms.

Right, we're back to empty names again. "Absolute truth" has no referent. It doesn't play out any better than the noumenon.

Absolute truth is not a meaningless term. Are you saying that there is not a set of all truth relations, even if we cannot know all of them? And if you are, then you are resigning to complete skepticism and therefore implying that all epistemic methods (including the scientific method) is ultimately futile.

HisWillness wrote:
Paisley wrote:
It presupposes God's nonexistence by insisting that God must be falsifiable. I guess this is what separates believers from unbelievers. To the believer, it's not possible that God does not exist. To the unbeliever, it's not possible that God does exist.

This isn't even about possible existence. It's about knowledge. What we know about God is pure fantasy. That's what I'm saying. If we can't know anything about God, we're making it up.

We can know things about God. It's called religious experiences.

I said that universal consciousness was the minimum requirement for a God-concept. And since we are all sentient beings, then it logically follows that the concept of consciousness is not a meaningless term. The reason why the term "consciousness" or "awareness" has currency in the English language is because the vast majority of English-speaking people have experienced their own subjectivity first-hand and are able to associate the term with the experience. If you're not, then you simply lack the intellectual tools to continue this debate or any other debate.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

nigelTheBold wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Scientific evidence?

1) quantum physics

2) Parapsychology

Quantum mechanics is a statistical descriptive model.

Yeah, it's actually a misnomer because QM is not really describing a mechanical process. And it is this very point that is rendering materialism obsolete.

nigelTheBold wrote:
It isn't evidence for anything, except that our measurements of quantum events are statistical. The fact that you use it to support your own brand of woo notwithstanding, it is not evidence for universal consciousness.

It certainly isn't evidence that supports materialism. And Nobel laureates in physics have used it as evidence to give us the CCC interpretation of QM. Evidence (even scientific evidence) is subject to interpretation. For some unknown reason, you are incapable of grasping this simple concept.

By the way, it would appear that you really do understand what "consciousness" means.

nigelTheBold wrote:
As for parapsychology: all you have is very minor correlations. As you pointed out concerning the chemicals associated with feelings of love, correlation is not evidence of causation.

True, but since you use correlations to argue that the mind and the brain are identical, I figure I should be accorded the same luxury. 

nigelTheBold wrote:
And I can can that you believe there are other avenues for knowledge. That's obvious by your confusion concerning scientific materialism, and the fact that you can't tell propositions from evidence. Your epistemic sloppiness is written all over your posts.

Newsflash: Knowledge is traditionally defined as justified belief. That's introductory epistemology 101. And what constitutes justification is subject to interpretation. 

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Excuse me,

Anonymouse wrote:
Excuse me, can we borrow your Paisley, please ? Ours left the placebo thread in the middle of getting his butt kicked. We'd like him to come back and say uncle.

Your argument: "The placebo effect is not based on the power of faith, but on the power of belief."

If you characterize this as "kicking my butt," then you're clearly suffering from delusions of grandeur.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:HisWillness

Paisley wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

You are simply being evasive because you don't have a real counterargument. I have already responded to this objection. This is what brought up the whole talk about the noumenal world. Remember "ultimate reality?"

Yeah, I remember "ultimate reality". Did you only get up to the 18th century in philosophy class or something? Do we really need a rehash of why the phenomenal won out over the noumenal? (Except apparently in theology, which I suppose doesn't surprise me.)

Paisley wrote:
Now, if you say that the term "consciousness" or "awareness" is meaningless, then you are either playing stupid or you actually are. Either way, we can't continue this debate. How can you have an intelligent debate with an individual who is incapable of understanding the most basic of terms? Answer: You can't.

Amazing. I didn't say consciousness or awareness are meaningless. I said that if that's your minimum description for a god, then I'm a god. So if you have some more things to attach to a god, that would be great.

Paisley wrote:
HisWillness wrote:
Right. As such, God is also unknowable.

It's a nonsequitur. I didn't say unverifiable. I said unfalsifiable. There's a difference between the two.

All you need to do do verify the statement "God is knowable" and falsify my "God is unknowable" is clarify what it is we'd be knowing.

Paisley wrote:
HisWillness wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Absolute truth is not a meaningless term. Are you saying that there is not a set of all truth relations, even if we cannot know all of them? And if you are, then you are resigning to complete skepticism and therefore implying that all epistemic methods (including the scientific method) is ultimately futile.

I know you have a lot of writing to do, so you don't necessarily read what I write, but I didn't say that "absolute truth" was meaningless, I said it was an empty name (i.e. it has no referent). Accuse me of whatever you want. Still no help on the defining a god front.

Paisley wrote:
HisWillness wrote:

We can know things about God. It's called religious experiences.

So I guess we can just throw epistemology out the window. No problem. I'll be honest, big guy, I'm not seeing a compelling shot at defining a god even vaguely. Your god is conscious. Great, but so are we, so what else do we need for this thing?

Paisley wrote:
I said that universal consciousness was the minimum requirement for a God-concept. And since we are all sentient beings, then it logically follows that the concept of consciousness is not a meaningless term. The reason why the term "consciousness" or "awareness" has currency in the English language is because the vast majority of English-speaking people have experienced their own subjectivity first-hand and are able to associate the term with the experience. If you're not, then you simply lack the intellectual tools to continue this debate or any other debate.

Yeah, I'm really under-qualified. Fascinating. Anyway, what's "universal consciousness"? Is that your god? Or does your god have a hat, too? I bet it's a terrific hat. I'm thinking a giant green, red, and yellow sombrero. For sure.

I just had a revelation, and it's that your god wears a giant multi-coloured sombrero. It's ... really awesome.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Anonymouse

Paisley wrote:

Anonymouse wrote:

Your argument: "The placebo effect is not based on the power of faith, but on the power of belief."

If you characterize this as "kicking my butt," then you're clearly suffering from delusions of grandeur.

Your dishonesty is breathtaking, but I'm kinda getting used to it.

My argument goes like this :  Pailsey is not qualified to interpret medical data, but he did it anyway. Not even papal infallibilty stretches that far.

Also, Paisley's personal definition of the placebo-effect doesn't match the one used by the entire medical world. I left the medical dictionary definition for you in the thread. Guess what ? No "heal", no "cure", no "faith", no "belief". Damn those doctors with their medschools, their experience, and their continued life-long studying ! Grrr !

Now guess what your next post in the placebo thread is going to be ?

I'll give you a hint : It ryhmes with "I snooze"

(er...btw, what does kicking your butt have to do with "grandeur" ?)

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

nigelTheBold wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Alright. So you are unable to provide a coherent referent for "awareness." That's okay. As HisWillness has pointed out, each of us experiences awareness.

I guess you have a coherent referent considering the fact (as you have stated in the foregoing) that each of us experiences awareness. So why do you continue to play stupid by asking me to define the term "awareness?" Either you can make the association between the term and your own first-person perspective of subjective experience or you forfeit the right to a thoughtful response. I will not waste my precious time by pandering to your stupidity.

nigelTheBold wrote:
How is that applicable to both an attribute and definition of god?

Well, if God is not conscious, then I guess you really don't have a God! I know that simplicity is a difficult concept for you to grasp. But I would ask you to muster up a little more energy and attempt to make an honest effort. Moreover, since you yourself identified "sentience" as one of the attributes of God, then this leads me to believe that you are simply being disingenuous by posing this question.

nigelTheBold wrote:
As awareness is inherently subjective, it still provides no logical framework for your definition of god. You have failed the initial challange: provide a set of minimal attributes for god, and from those, build a rational, coherent definition.

Once again, if you cannot make the logical association between the term "awareness" and your own subjective experience, then you are not intellectually equipped to engage in this debate or any other debate. 

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Subjective

Paisley wrote:

Subjective experiences.

Oh........that explains it.......

Quote:
This probably explains why I am the only one here able to understand the meaning of the term "awareness."

Anybody can look it up words in a dictionary, and everyone has there own interpretation of what awareness means in this context. The issue is explaining how we understand these terms to each other so we can determine where we disagree. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare