What happened to eating food?

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
What happened to eating food?

Is this really nessicary?

Here are the ingredients directly from McDonalds site for the Chicken McNuggets.

Quote:
Chicken McNuggets®/Chicken Selects® Premium Breast Strips/Sauces

Chicken McNuggets®:White boneless chicken, water, food starch-modified, salt, chicken flavor (autolyzed yeast extract, salt, wheat starch, natural flavoring (botanical source), safflower oil,dextrose, citric acid, rosemary), sodium phosphates, seasoning (canola oil, mono- and diglycerides, extractives of rosemary). Battered and breaded with: water,enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), yellow corn flour, food starch-modified, salt, leavening (bakingsoda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, calcium lactate), spices, wheat starch, whey, corn starch. Prepared invegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness),dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent).
  Here are the ingredients directly from KFC's site for the Popcorn chicken Chicken. 
Quote:
Popcorn Chicken Diced Chicken Breast Meat Fritters with Rib Meat, Seasoning (Soy Protein Concentrate, Salt, Modified Food Starch, Food Starch, Carrageenan, Onion Powder, Dehydrated Chicken Broth, Spice Extractive), Sodium Phosphates. Breaded With: Enriched Wheat Flour (Enriched with Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Salt, Rice Flour, Spices, Wheat Gluten, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Monosodium Glutamate, Corn Starch (with Tapioca Dextrin), Garlic Powder, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Flavorings, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, Gum Arabic. Predusted With: Enriched Wheat Flour (Enriched with Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Modified Food Starch, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Salt, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Monosodium Glutarnate, Garlic Powder, Spices Dehydrated Chicken Broth, Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Sugar, Flavorings, Corn Syrup Solids. Battered With: Water, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Enriched with Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Modified Food Starch, Modified Wheat Starch, Rice Flour, Garlic Powder, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Salt, Dextrin, Sodium Caseinate (with Soy Lecithin), Modified Cellulose Gum, Spices, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate), Mono and Diglycerides (as Emulsifiers). Breading set in Vegetable Oil. Contains Milk, Soy and Wheat. 

here are the ingredients directly from McDonalds site for Desani water, I don't know why but when I think of bottled water I think of haveing none of this stuff but here. 
Quote:
Dasani® Water:Purified water, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, salt.**Adds a negligible amount of sodium. Minerals added for taste. Purified by reverse osmosis.
 And just incase you though you were eating potatoes here are McDonalds French Fries 
Quote:
French Fries:Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*), citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acidpyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil withTBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *
 Now after all of this I only have one question...... What happened to eating food? I'm not saying all this is bad.... But seriously What happened eating food?  just btw it is mostly chicken that have all of this additive stuff.  This link will have what some of these additives dohttp://www.cspinet.org/reports/chemcuisine.htmMCdonalds and KFC ingredient listshttp://www.kfc.com/nutrition/http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/nutritionexchange.do

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Come to think of it, I guess

Come to think of it, I guess I've never just picked up a live chicken and proceeded to eat it raw.  I guess it's just not a normal thing to do in the society I was raised in.  I've seen a python do it though.  Well, she didn't bight off small chunks and chew it like I probably would have to.  Maybe, people just don't like being reminded that we and some of what we eat are animals.  That's just my guess though.

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
hazindu wrote:Come to think

hazindu wrote:

Come to think of it, I guess I've never just picked up a live chicken and proceeded to eat it raw.  I guess it's just not a normal thing to do in the society I was raised in.  I've seen a python do it though.  Well, she didn't bight off small chunks and chew it like I probably would have to.  Maybe, people just don't like being reminded that we and some of what we eat are animals.  That's just my guess though.

no problems here with eating animals raw or cooked (its up to you, though i doubt raw would work well) but is it really nessicary to throw in all that other stuff? Btw its not just fast food, its all processed food. 

All animals are equal.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's pretty amazing how many

It's pretty amazing how many things we can digest that are virtually useless to our bodies.  (Yet another argument against intelligent design.)  There are groups that are trying to reverse the McDonalds trend.  (http://pure-joy.org/wholefoodmovement.aspx).  Personally, I avoid fast food restaurants like the swine flu.  (Which is to say I try really hard to never go in them, but if I am forced into it, it probably won't kill me.)

Unfortunately, many well meaning hippies go too far to the opposite extreme with whole food, insisting that if something didn't come directly from Mother Gaia that it's evil and bad for you, or that organic locally grown kale can cure cancer if eaten by the metric ton.  The position that aggravates me the most is that there's something inherently wrong with genetically engineered food.  We've already gone over this.  ALL food is genetically engineered.  Some of it was engineered by natural selection, and some by man, but if you're buying something from ANY farmer in America today, a scientist has tinkered with it.  Our food is much better for us nutritionally and taste-wise because of genetic engineering.

In the end, the best bet is to buy produce and meat from reputable farmers who avoid unnecessary chemical pesticides and fatten their animals the old fashioned way -- with food their bodies are meant to eat.  Be prepared for wallet shock.  It's much more expensive to eat that way.  Also, don't look for this to be more than an activity practiced by a loyal underground following.  These farming methods can't sustain the population.  If everybody was forced into eating only foods produced in these ways, there'd be mass starvation.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:It's

Hambydammit wrote:

It's pretty amazing how many things we can digest that are virtually useless to our bodies.  (Yet another argument against intelligent design.)  There are groups that are trying to reverse the McDonalds trend.  (http://pure-joy.org/wholefoodmovement.aspx).  Personally, I avoid fast food restaurants like the swine flu.  (Which is to say I try really hard to never go in them, but if I am forced into it, it probably won't kill me.)

It is relatively harmless in moderation, though im sure you already know this. 

Hambydammit wrote:

Unfortunately, many well meaning hippies go too far to the opposite extreme with whole food, insisting that if something didn't come directly from Mother Gaia that it's evil and bad for you, or that organic locally grown kale can cure cancer if eaten by the metric ton.  The position that aggravates me the most is that there's something inherently wrong with genetically engineered food.  We've already gone over this.  ALL food is genetically engineered.  Some of it was engineered by natural selection, and some by man, but if you're buying something from ANY farmer in America today, a scientist has tinkered with it.  Our food is much better for us nutritionally and taste-wise because of genetic engineering.

99% agreement. Im not sure about nutritionally as I haven't read much about the nutrition of GE crops but I don't seee why they wouldn't atleast try get it up. I know they do things like suicide crops where the seeds cannot be planted sometimes. I know those 'hippies' mean well but at the same time I cannot help but get annoyed, Its kinda like some people and environmental problems (the to are interlinked) they go right to the opposite extreme.  Although I will say there is it alot of strain on the farmers because of all of this but I will leave that for another time.

All animals are equal.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:99% agreement. Im not

Quote:
99% agreement. Im not sure about nutritionally as I haven't read much about the nutrition of GE crops but I don't seee why they wouldn't atleast try get it up.

Many fruits and vegetables have been selectively bred, crossbred, and otherwise manipulated to enhance their nutritional content.  That's genetic engineering.

Quote:
I know they do things like suicide crops where the seeds cannot be planted sometimes.

Oh, sure.  I never claim, nor will I, that all genetic modifications to plants are good.  All I'm trying to do is refute the dodo-heads who think that they have to stay away from GE foods because there's something inherently "unnatural" about it.

Quote:
I know those 'hippies' mean well but at the same time I cannot help but get annoyed, Its kinda like some people and environmental problems (the to are interlinked) they go right to the opposite extreme.  Although I will say there is it alot of strain on the farmers because of all of this but I will leave that for another time.

No disagreement.  Christians mean well, too, when they picket abortion clinics.  That's why I don't consider myself an anti-theist.  I'm an anti-anti-scientist.  That is, I'm against anyone who is opposed to trusting science.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Many

Hambydammit wrote:

Many fruits and vegetables have been selectively bred, crossbred, and otherwise manipulated to enhance their nutritional content.  That's genetic engineering.

ahh then yes it has been happening for a loooong time and nutrition has benefited in most cases, although the mass produced ones were not chosen because of nutrition although it must of been considered but from what I have read it wasn't the main reason, result there are more nutritious variaties. I ment GE crops as in modified in a laboritory. But as I have said I see no reason why they wouldn't of atleast of tried to but I must claim ignorance in that area.

Hambydammit wrote:

Oh, sure.  I never claim, nor will I, that all genetic modifications to plants are good.  All I'm trying to do is refute the dodo-heads who think that they have to stay away from GE foods because there's something inherently "unnatural" about it.

The methods are not 'natural' (labortory ones) as in it doesn't happen that way in 'nature' e.g. no gold gun, injection etc. in nature, if you chose to use 'natural' in that way. But as I see it there is nothing wrong with them being 'unnatural' in that sense. But GE in genral is not inherently 'unnatural'

All animals are equal.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Genetic engineering does go

Genetic engineering does go beyond what normally happens in natural or artificial cross-breeding, in that genes from widely disparate species can be introduced, even genes that don't exist at all naturally, so they haven't been 'filtered' through the natural selection process to weed out possible nasty and unexpected effects. So it is at least potentially more risky.

Such 'foreign' genes do get into a species by natural processes thru viruses, which can get chunks of their DNA incorporated into the infected cells DNA. This is one of the techniques used by Genetic Engineering - engineer a virus with the new gene and infect the target cells.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
  It seems anytime someone

It seems anytime someone makes a post to do with food GE rears its head, but back on topic unless you are determined to talk GE. Is having all these additives in our food really nessicary? Imo they don't even improve the taste.

All animals are equal.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Genetic engineering

Quote:
Genetic engineering does go beyond what normally happens in natural or artificial cross-breeding, in that genes from widely disparate species can be introduced, even genes that don't exist at all naturally, so they haven't been 'filtered' through the natural selection process to weed out possible nasty and unexpected effects. So it is at least potentially more risky.

Oh, sure.  I should have been more clear.  (It's just that typing out the same thing so many times in different threads gets tedious.)  Sure, there are potential negative effects from the methods of gene manipulation used by scientists, and no, we would never expect to see such mutations naturally.  However, to take a recent example, the stretch of DNA taken from, what was it... bees, I think... to make a strain of corn more cold-resistant -- the stretch of DNA isn't "Bee DNA."  It's DNA that happens to be part of the Bee Genome.  It's possible that natural selection could stumble upon the same stretch of DNA in corn, given enough time and billions of tries.  It's staggeringly unlikely that the code will magically appear in the next generation through natural selection, though.

While the methods of genetic engineering are not straight up reproduction, but rather manipulation of genes through splicing and such, the end result is still a strand of DNA and nothing else.  Scientists aren't adding a new letter to DNA or anything like that.  DNA is DNA.

While there is a risk of unwanted negative traits inherent in genetic engineering, there is also a significant risk of unwanted negative traits inherent in making an offspring the old-fashioned way.  Natural selection misses much more than it hits.  So, pointing out that messing with genes can have negative side effects is just pointing out the obvious.

My problem with GE opponents is that they all seem to believe that negative side effects are somehow the norm when we splice genes.  They don't seem to get that DNA often works across species precisely because species are all related.  They've seen "The Fly" with Jeff Goldblum too many times, and they think scientists are just haphazardly plopping in sequences of code to see what happens.

Like I said, I'm not touting GE as universally good.  I just want to make it clear that regardless of the technique -- splicing or good old fucking -- the end product is the same.  

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Is having all these

Quote:
Is having all these additives in our food really nessicary? 

Sort of.

Humans are overpopulated, and we cannot live on un-processed food alone.  That is, if we only ate and distributed the fruits of the soil in the same state that they were harvested, there would be mass starvation and malnutrition.  Furthermore, if we didn't add preservatives to foods, we would not be able to sustain the distribution, storage, and eventual purchase of foods we had turned into more durable foodstuffs.

There are a lot of addatives that are strictly unnecessary.  Oranges, limes, and many other fruits have color added to make them more appealing to the customer.  Some produce is "ripened" chemically, even though it's not quite the same as the natural ripening process.

The bottom line is that it's unpractical and basically loony to suggest removing all addatives from food.  Many of them do far more good than harm.  The thing is, there's no magic in food.  Lots of food is bad for you without processing.  If you drank a gallon of milk straight from a cow every day, you'd probably get a kidney stone from too much calcium.  There's no such thing as a "perfect food."  

Books about atheism

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Quote:Is

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Is having all these additives in our food really nessicary? 

Sort of.

Humans are overpopulated, and we cannot live on un-processed food alone.  That is, if we only ate and distributed the fruits of the soil in the same state that they were harvested, there would be mass starvation and malnutrition.  Furthermore, if we didn't add preservatives to foods, we would not be able to sustain the distribution, storage, and eventual purchase of foods we had turned into more durable foodstuffs.

There are a lot of addatives that are strictly unnecessary.  Oranges, limes, and many other fruits have color added to make them more appealing to the customer.  Some produce is "ripened" chemically, even though it's not quite the same as the natural ripening process.

The bottom line is that it's unpractical and basically loony to suggest removing all addatives from food.  Many of them do far more good than harm.  The thing is, there's no magic in food.  Lots of food is bad for you without processing.  If you drank a gallon of milk straight from a cow every day, you'd probably get a kidney stone from too much calcium.  There's no such thing as a "perfect food."  

Well I do think there is a perfect food.... it is called the nartjie. But that has nothing to do with this, i just love them  Yes preservatives are cool, atleast some are. i'm actually for taking some additives out although I agree it would be loonacy to take them all out. It is undeniable that some of the additives in food are harmfull or atleast potentially harmfull. Salt in fast food is really bad imo, yes you need some salt but to much is very harmfull. In some processed foods they are well quite free with it. Expessially in fast food. Go through the KFC and McDonalds ingredent lists I linked to and im sure you will find most (i would guess 80%) have salt in them. I haven't actually checks exactly how many things do but i know alot do.   

Not directed at anyone really but here are some that are recommended you avoid or atleast cut back on and where they are found. Got them from the most neutral source I could find. 

ACESULFAME-K

ARTIFICIAL COLORINGS: BLUE 1

ARTIFICIAL COLORINGS: BLUE  2

ASPARTAME

Artificial sweetener: "Diet" foods, including soft drinks, drink mixes, gelatin desserts, low-calorie frozen desserts, packets.

BUTYLATED HYDROXYANISOLE (BHA)
Antioxidant: Cereals, chewing gum, potato chips, vegetable oil.

OLESTRA (Olean)
Fat substitute: Lay's Light Chips, Pringles Light chips.

PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (Trans fat) 

Fat, oil, shortening: Stick margarine, crackers, fried restaurant foods, baked goods, icing, microwave popcorn.

POTASSIUM BROMATE
Flour improver: White flour, bread and rolls

PROPYL GALLATE
Antioxidant preservative: Vegetable oil, meat products, potato sticks, chicken soup base, chewing gum.

SACCHARIN
Artificial sweetener: Diet, no-sugar-added products, soft drinks, sweetener packets.

SODIUM NITRITE, SODIUM NITRATE
Preservative, coloring, flavoring: Bacon, ham, frankfurters, luncheon meats, smoked fish, corned beef.

SALT (Sodium Chloride)

Flavoring, preservative: Most processed foods, cured meats, soup, snack chips, crackers, and others.

All animals are equal.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are a lot of fry oils

There are a lot of fry oils available now that don't have any trans fats in them.  A lot of better restaurants are using them.   There are also some with significantly reduced trans fat that are cheap enough for mid-line restaurants.  If you ask, most places will be able to tell you what kind of oil they're using.

I have no argument with any of the items on this list.  As a rule, I try to avoid all of them.

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
There's some speculation

There's some speculation that hormones in food cause early puberty in girls.

http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/Factsheet/Diet/fs37.hormones.cfm

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yup trans fat is definately

Yup trans fat is definately on the way out, can only be a good thing imo. if you click the link for trans fat you will see they are being removed. Btw just thought I would add just because those aitives are found in those kind of products that doesn't mean they are in all the differant brands so please don't take this as me saying don't eat certain types of food.

All animals are equal.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I get you, Tapey.  I just

I get you, Tapey.  I just happen to own one of those restaurants that uses 0 Trans Fat oil to deep fry.  I get twitchy about losing business because people are afraid of fried food.

Books about atheism

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:There's

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

There's some speculation that hormones in food cause early puberty in girls.

http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/Factsheet/Diet/fs37.hormones.cfm

Dispite the conclusion below it is very interesting. I hope there is more research on it.

Quote:

Conclusions

Studies done so far do not provide evidence to state that hormone residues in meat or dairy products cause any human health effects. However, a conclusion on lack of human health effect can only be made after large-scale studies compare the health of people who eat meat or dairy products from hormone-treated animals, to people who eat a similar diet, but from untreated animals.

All animals are equal.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Yeah, there are too many

Yeah, there are too many possible causes still untested to jump on board the hormone-puberty bandwagon with both feet.  (Of course, I think it would be very bad to just have one foot on board... that's a good way to pull your groin.)

The thing is, ironically, it could be better nutrition that is leading to earlier puberty.  Despite how bad a lot of food is for us in the long run, the simple fact is that malnutrition is almost unheard of now, and that's kind of a first.  It isn't much of a stretch to suggest that humans who reach puberty earlier will reproduce earlier and more often.  That's an evolutionary strength, so it wouldn't be surprising to find that simple nutrition was the cause.

Books about atheism

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Small correction in the

Small correction in the first world it is unheard of yes, but in the third world its still quite common expessially among babies/children, but i believe it is on the way down in most places.. Definatly to early to jump on a brand wagon. Still from what I have seen they banned smoking in public places on less evidance. Although iv read very little

All animals are equal.

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I get you,

Hambydammit wrote:
I get you, Tapey.  I just happen to own one of those restaurants that uses 0 Trans Fat oil to deep fry.  I get twitchy about losing business because people are afraid of fried food.

Question about the oil. What raw material(s) does this oil come from? Soybean, canola, olive etc...?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Dispite the

Tapey wrote:

Dispite the conclusion below it is very interesting. I hope there is more research on it.

I did say that it was sepeculaton, but interesting none the less.

It also speculates as to a link with breast cancer and early puberty.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote:Hambydammit

KSMB wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Question about the oil. What raw material(s) does this oil come from? Soybean, canola, olive etc...?

They are produced artificially by partially hydrogenating vegetable oils, atleast now they are, not sure where they are originaly from though.

P.S. yeah i know Cpt just put the conclusion there so knowone jumped to conclusions

All animals are equal.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I get

Hambydammit wrote:

Is it franchise or independent?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pineapple:  It's the first

Pineapple:  It's the first franchise of an independent restaurant.  We're basically trying to design a franchise.

RE: Oil:  Different ones are made from different vegetables.  Soy is pretty popular these days, but corn is always around, too.  It's about the process of hydrogenating, not the source of the oil.  Basically, complete hydrogenation makes a solid that's more or less useless for cooking.  It resembles plastic more than anything else.  (Remember, many plastics are oil based.)  The digestive system is fooled by partially hydrogenated oils.  It thinks they're food, but they can't be used, so they just get stored on artery walls.

In the hydrogenation process, many essential fatty acids are destroyed, so in addition to having useless lumps of fat that will accumulate in the body, they also have less nutritional value in what's left over. 

Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Many

Hambydammit wrote:

Breeding is the same as genetic splicing now? With those processes you mentioned, at least you have variety.

Hambydammit wrote:
Quote:
I know they do things like suicide crops where the seeds cannot be planted sometimes.

Okay, irrational objections are, of course, silly. Rational objections, like the unfortunate allergic reactions created by crops that create their own pesticides (bt corn, as an example) aren't as silly. That, and Monsanto owns the patent on stuff you eat. That's not so much an objection to nutrition as it is an objection to creepy.

Hambydammit wrote:
That is, I'm against anyone who is opposed to trusting science.

Trusting science and trusting technology are two different things, though. I, personally, don't see any point in genetically modifying staple crops, seeing as no genetically engineered crop has been shown to outperform a normally bred crop (that is, locally-based seed mixing). That, and monoculture production is already a gun in the hands of a baby. We make it worse by having crops engineered to be even more homogeneous than they already are. The lack of variety looms large over another homogeneous crop: the banana, which researchers at the university I attend fear has so little genetic diversity that its defense against plant disease is virtually nil.

"Natural" isn't good or bad, I'll give you that. But to "improve" on an already flawed monoculture system is severely retarded.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence