Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I Want To Believe...

So I was listening to npr today, specifically this show:

http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/

about this guy's book:

http://www.soundauthors.com/dr-allan-hamilton-spirituality-medicine.htm

http://www.allanhamilton.com/#

He is a secular doctor who had several experiences that blew my mind.

For one, while on a medical relief trip in Africa his party got very lost. A day later as they rounded a bend a random guy flagged them down saying he had a vivid dream 2 nights before that there were some lost white people that would need his help that very next day. In fact they would have been at that very location the very next day but they slowed it all down when they realized they were lost.

Thoughts? I love this stuff! Smiling

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
So there is this hot

So there is this hot chick where I work.

Actually,she is so blond that I can tell her blond jokes and she will not get them. Even so, I would fuck her in a heart beat.

How does this relate to your thread? Not at all. Even so...

The other day, she asked me to help her find a puppy. So I get on the 'net and check such web sites as meet her inquiry. During the conversation, I find out that she does not want a kitten. Whatever.

Well, that night, I had a dream that both of us were working for an animal shelter (I am a bit sad that I did not have an erotic dream about her). Anyhow, in the dream, we got a new kitten in but it was one more than we could legally put in the kitten place. So we had to put it in the dog place.

Of course the dogs don't want cats in their place. So we have to deal with that and in my dream, the general idea was to take a shotgun and clear it out. The blond chick would not do the job, so I had no choice in the matter.

The hot blond chick was willing to hold the door open while I went in and killed the dogs to make room for the kitten.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, such things happen. I

Well, such things happen. I don't know how. Not that I'd have no idea, but there's too much of possibilities and you describe it too vaguely. Thanks for the link, btw. I might get some new podcasts there.

Anyway, what the doctor writes is a common thing for any student of esoterics. I'm not surprised, only glad every time we see a normal doctor to know about such a things. There is no need to believe - only the need to verify it for yourself, to take a look. And how? Well, if you go to the forest expecting to see a rare kind of a bear, you know that you need a time and patience - a lot of patience, careful, silent walk and a good tracking skill. Why people don't understand that paranormal phenomena are not much easier to find? (specially if we stay safely at home)
No, I don't want to believe. I either know, don't know, or don't know for sure, but why should anyone want to believe?

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Complete bullshit. I highly

Complete bullshit. I highly susspect that this area where the "white people" got lost, is a common area where lots of people had gotten lost. So the "dream" is merely a manifestation of prior events and coincedence coincided with the dream. It is merely a matter of focusing on the hits and ignoring the misses.

How many "dreams" do humans have that they ignore.

This is not amazing at all and it is not a predictor of anything exept that people read into something what they want.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I used to work at a pizza

I used to work at a pizza place, and my shift manager had the same type of stupid superstition. We would go hours without an order, then 2 or 3 people would call within minutes of each other ordering the same pizza.

He would say, "Isn't that amazing. You don't think there is anything to this?"

I would respond, "That we sell pizza?"

I once responded, "What would amaze me is if 3 people called in that didn't know each other and asked if we sold tires".

What this moron was NOT taking into account were the overwhelming majority of times THIS DIDN'T HAPPEN.

He also has the same superstition that some of my current co-workers have about smoking. Some people think that if they go outside for a smoke break a customer will interrupt  them.

AGAIN, what these morons are not taking into account are all the times they don't notice that they DONT get interrupted.

These types of things are nothing but gap answers due to human's lack of introspection in probability and statistics. Life is random, and over a long sample one will observe a wash out. These superstitions are a result of short term thinking that do not take into account larger samples over a longer period.

This is the same type of bad logic that leads a baseball player to wear "lucky socks" and just as useful in reality.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Complete

Brian37 wrote:

Complete bullshit. I highly susspect that this area where the "white people" got lost, is a common area where lots of people had gotten lost. So the "dream" is merely a manifestation of prior events and coincedence coincided with the dream. It is merely a matter of focusing on the hits and ignoring the misses.

How many "dreams" do humans have that they ignore.

This is not amazing at all and it is not a predictor of anything exept that people read into something what they want.

I have a work. At this work I mostly thought that my contract is one year, or six months or something, I didn't remember exactly. So today I had a dream. This dream took place in a big industrial area, and it was mainly about me and a group of friends who were unhappy there. We took a car and we drove away from there like crazy, and happy to be out. I forgot about this dream, until this shift. My contract is just about to end, which I didn't know about. The bosses only hire workers on short-term contracts and they don't prolong them if the workers aren't completely stupid and refuse to work 10 hours per day in harsh conditions for 3,5 dollars per hour and on Saturdays. Guess what happened. Yeah, they decided to not hold me there any longer, which is a surprise for other workers, because we're seriously under(wo)manned and even managers must help on overtimes. So I'm free from that terrible place, just like my dream predicted.
Coincidence? Maybe, but a meaningful coincidence, which is called "synchronicity".
Of course, I already search for some time for a new work elsewhere, so I'm not like unprepared and I have savings.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
People believe what they

People believe what they want to believe. Believing this is true makes you feel better. But it's not an objective observation.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen