The Return of Patriarchy

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The Return of Patriarchy

I found this article while perusing an evengelical website. Any comments, aside from pointing at Idiocracy?

http://www.albertmohler.com/commentary_read.php?cdate=2006-03-01

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

AdvancedAtheist
User is offlineOffline
The birthrate serves as a

The birthrate serves as a crude proxy measurement of the influence of religion in a society. Despite all the hand wringing about fecund Islamic hordes sweeping across an aging West, birthrates have even declined dramatically in many Islamic societies. Iran now has a total fertility rate of 1.71, which puts it in the range of Western European countries. This suggests that Islam has started to lose its grip on people's minds:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_Iran#Total_fertility_rate

Also refer to:

U.N. Sees Falling Middle East Fertility Rates

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I don't know if Islam has

I don't know if Islam has a hold of anything but the government in Iran. The general populace (from what my Persian friends tell me) have a Zoroastrian-type semi-religious secularism.  It would be a great thing for Iran if they could drop the previously installed government and restore a secular government, but why would Britain and the US want that? A secular Persian nation might nationalize their oil supply, just like that dirty commie Chavez! That can only lead to happiness for people who aren't in the G8, and we all know what a travesty that would be.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Chavez

I think Chavez rocks

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that patriarchy is

I think that patriarchy is on the decline. Matriarchy was, when men idealized women. Patriarchy was, when men idealized men. Idealism is dying, now a healthy human relationship based on equality may take place. I'm all for women in politics. I heard, that  with at least 30% of women in parliament the politics radically changes. I think it's true. It's not a secret that I'm very unsatisfied with my current government. But recently, the local activism group NonViolence succeeded in persuading two female deputies from Green party and their votes were, what made this traitorous government fall. What made them traitorous? Among other things, 70% of the nation is against the new US military radar base in Brdy, and yet the politicians ignore their own people and climb into America's Iraqicidous rectum.

Ken G. wrote:

I think Chavez rocks

Hear, hear!!!
I think that Ahmadinejad is a great man as well. Only such a person could withstand Israeli and American bullying without letting himself to do what they want - repeat the fate of Palestine or Iraq. I liked his Letter to president Bush and Xmas speech.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
And why is a drop in birth

And why is a drop in birth rates a bad thing?

The only line in Mohler's piece (and I assume he's paraphrasing the Foreign Policy piece) that directly addresses the question is:

Put simply, a significant fall in birthrates means that, in the next generation, there will be fewer workers, parents, consumers, and contributors to the common welfare.

Sure, the U.S. is in a bit of a pickle at the moment with the "Baby Boomer" generation retiring and far fewer workers in the workforce to support them. But the orange to Mohler's apple here is that the U.S., unlike most other countries mentioned in the piece, does not have universal healthcare. The U.S. doesn't really have "common welfare" in the first place. At least not nearly as much as other countries. There are plenty nations with very low birth rates that are doing just fine because they have fully-funded, government-sponsored healthcare, education and retirement benefits. Workers have to pay very high taxes to pay for these things, but at least everyone is covered. Conservatives in the U.S., however, fight tooth-and-nail against "big government" and high taxes.

You can't have it both ways.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?