Science is wrong all the time.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Science is wrong all the time.

Ahem.

It appears that Bob Jones University produces textbooks for homeschoolers. Here is an example of why homeschooling is superior to regular old dogma-based schooling:

Biology for Christian Schools wrote:

revealed truth - that which is revealed in scripture, whether or not man has scientifically proved it. If it is in the bible, it is already true.

fallacy - that which contradicts god's revealed truth, no matter how scientific, how commonly believed, or how apparently workable or logical it may seem.

The facepalm was of incredible magnitude.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 That is one of the most

That is one of the most offensive things I've ever read.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Okay, to be fair, I may have

Okay, to be fair, I may have gotten the quote wrong. I was working from second-hand sources. Here is the actual quote, from the first page of that book:

Biology for Christian Schools wrote:

1. "'Whatever the Bible says is so; whatever man says may or may not be so,' is the only [position] a Christian can take. . . ."
   2. "If [scientific] conclusions contradict the Word of God, the conclusions are wrong, no matter how many scientific facts may appear to back them."
   3. "Christians must disregard [scientific hypotheses or theories] that contradict the Bible."

This is quoted from the ruling of Association of Christian Schools International et al. v. Roman Stearns et al, which is still a second-hand source, but hopefully a more-reliable one.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 link? 

link?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

link?

Link. It's a PDF, and if I'd read the heading carefully the first time, I would've noticed it was in the "Ruling" section of "Order Denying Plaintiffs' Motion for Summary Judgement and Granting Defendants' Motion for Partial Summary Judgement," and not in the final ruling.

The quote is on page 42 of the PDF.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:fallacy -

nigelTheBold wrote:

fallacy - that which contradicts god's revealed truth, no matter how scientific, how commonly believed, or how apparently workable or logical it may seem.

Oh, is that what that word means?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Science vs. Cpt.

Is this anything like the evolution that Capt. was "taught" in her religious classes?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
"THE SUN IS A THINKING SUPER

"THE SUN IS A THINKING SUPER BEING!" The ancient Egyptians shouted that from their rooftops for 3,000 years, only for modern science to point out that it is merely a giant ball of burning gass with no capability of human thought.

So now modern Christians claim that disimbodied beings with no penis knock up girls. Same shit, different millina.

"I'm Wolf Blitzer in the situation room. A picture is worth a thousand words. Video just in of Brian37 farting a full sized Lamborghini out  of his ass".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
If it is in the Bible, it is

If it is in the Bible, it has negligible truth value, unless backed up by independent credible sources...

The credibility of any religious text is automatically suspect, since the writers are almost certainly committed to the doctrine, and therefore are going to interpret everything to support their beliefs, tending to ignore anything which can't be twisted to fit their strong pre-conceptions of the 'truth'. They won't be consciously lying, they simply won't be able to avoid seeing things this way - it is basic psychology.

So science can at best only approximate the truth, but at least it is an approximation which is progressively refined, whereas it is religious ideas which are always wrong and not open to correction...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eh, that sounds like it was

Eh, that sounds like it was taken straight from the science books of my christian science  books. I think it described the study of science as : "The means by which god has revealed his creations to us"

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks wrote:     

Boon Docks wrote:

Is this anything like the evolution that Capt. was "taught" in her religious classes?

Nope, she just took two religious classes, I think one was just an intro religious ed and the other was world religions.

I was taught evolution in my Grade 11 biology course though