French Fries and Evolution?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
French Fries and Evolution?

In a new blog post, PZ Myers has explained an interesting hypothesis about the earliest evolutionary separation between chimps and humans -- starch digestion!

It appears that unlike chimps, humans have a propensity for carrying multiple copies of the amylase gene.  Amylase is an enzyme found in saliva that begins breaking down complex sugars (like starches) into simpler sugars before they reach the stomach or intestines.  The implication is quite interesting.  Perhaps early hominids weren't being selected for slightly bigger brains.  Perhaps slightly bigger brains were partly the result of being selected for more efficient digestion of sugars within a more diverse diet!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hate being pulled into

I hate being pulled into threads by appealing words... -_- i see no french fries!

(interesting points none the less )

What Would Kharn Do?

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Biology is not my forte. How

Biology is not my forte. How does selecting for the ability to digest complex sugars/a more diverse diet contribute to a bigger brain?

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote:Biology

Archeopteryx wrote:
Biology is not my forte. How does selecting for the ability to digest complex sugars/a more diverse diet contribute to a bigger brain?
The brain is the biggest user of energy in the bod. Without an energy rich diet, and the ability to get the most out of those most basic and most energy packed molecules - carbohydrates, the big brains can't function.

There's a reason we crave sweet and starchy foods, and similarly there's a reason cats can get away with not having the ability to taste sweets and eat primarily meat. Smiling

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:There's a reason we

Quote:
There's a reason we crave sweet and starchy foods, and similarly there's a reason cats can get away with not having the ability to taste sweets and eat primarily meat. Smiling

Curiously, as I read this, my cat is about five feet away eating his own vomit.  Enough said.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:
Quote:
There's a reason we crave sweet and starchy foods, and similarly there's a reason cats can get away with not having the ability to taste sweets and eat primarily meat. Smiling
Curiously, as I read this, my cat is about five feet away eating his own vomit.  Enough said.
Hehehaha! Oh, kittehs: We like them for their wonderful attributes, but love them for their weird weird quirks. Laughing out loud

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
/facepalm inb4lolcats

/facepalm

inb4lolcats