Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
RNC attempts ultimate dick move

Quote:

RNC Lawsuits Challenge Constitutionality of McCain-Feingold

November 13, 2008 2:18 PM

ABC News' Tahman Bradley and Arnab Datta Report: Less than two weeks after John McCain failed to keep the White House in Republican hands, the Republican National Committee filed lawsuits challenging the constitutionality of the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002.

Sen. McCain, R-Ariz., angered conservatives six years ago when he fought for the BCRA -- and ironically some of the very restrictions McCain helped put in place limited what the RNC was able to do on McCain's behalf during his White House run.

The move by Republicans, which comes just nine days after the election, indicates a concern among the GOP about party fundraising and its ability to influence state and local politics. One lawsuit, which the party says it filed today in the District of Columbia, seeks to overturn the ban on unregulated contributions or "soft money". The other lawsuit, filed today in Louisiana, seeks to eliminate restrictions on coordinated spending between candidates and the political parties' committees.

On a Thursday conference call with reporters, RNC Chairman Mike Duncan expressed concern that campaign finance law prohibits the GOP from raising money for Republican candidates running for statewide office in Virginia and New Jersey in 2009. He also noted that the RNC is unable to raise money for the state parties that would go to those Republican candidates.

"I believe this is an infringement on my constitutional rights and infringement on the rights of our party," Duncan said.

Duncan also took issue with the fact the RNC is limited to spending $84,000 in a coordinated fashion with candidates in state races. The RNC has setup independent expenditure units in many races across the country to try to help Republicans in local elections, but even that backdoor move has proven difficult, Duncan said.

"Money is put into (independent expenditures), but we have no control, and there are times when the message from the independent expenditure unit may be at odds with what the candidate wants to express at the time."

Republicans have long criticized the federal law, which is also known as "McCain-Feingold," saying it infringes on an individual's First Amendment rights by restricting the content and amount of political advertising.

BUT HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO WIN IF WE CAN'T ACCEPT $500k LUMP SUM DONATIONS FROM LOBBYING CORPORATIONS?!?!

Mike Duncan later added that justice is for him to crap on. He also indicated that his death ray is in the final stage of development and that everyone who voted for Obama will be sorry.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:BUT HOW ARE WE

Quote:
BUT HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO WIN IF WE CAN'T ACCEPT $500k LUMP SUM DONATIONS FROM LOBBYING CORPORATIONS?!?!

You're not.

QFT.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote: Mike

Archeopteryx wrote:

Mike Duncan later added that justice is for him to crap on. He also indicated that his death ray is in the final stage of development and that everyone who voted for Obama will be sorry.

Pure gold.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gotta say when I first saw

Gotta say when I first saw the topic header....

I had this image of the christian right, rolling the stone away and witnessing the resurrection of Nixon (and their party)... but this story has just as many laughs, in a purely pathetic kind of way. 

Resurrect The President (Nixon) from Alex Vance on Vimeo.

Zymotic
Superfan
Zymotic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wonko wrote:Gotta say when I

Wonko wrote:

Gotta say when I first saw the topic header....

I had this image of the christian right, rolling the stone away...etc

When I first saw the topic header, I thought of something extremely dangerous and sexual. 

My Brand New Blog - Jesu Ad Nauseum.
God of the Gaps: As knowledge approaches infinity, God approaches zero. It's introductory calculus.