The Nightmare Isn't Over Yet

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Nightmare Isn't Over Yet

From the NYT November 3:

Quote:
While Americans eagerly vote for the next president, here’s a sobering reminder: As of Tuesday, George W. Bush still has 77 days left in the White House — and he’s not wasting a minute.

President Bush’s aides have been scrambling to change rules and regulations on the environment, civil liberties and abortion rights, among others — few for the good. Most presidents put on a last-minute policy stamp, but in Mr. Bush’s case it is more like a wrecking ball. We fear it could take months, or years, for the next president to identify and then undo all of the damage.

Here is a look — by no means comprehensive — at some of Mr. Bush’s recent parting gifts and those we fear are yet to come.

CIVIL LIBERTIES We don’t know all of the ways that the administration has violated Americans’ rights in the name of fighting terrorism. Last month, Attorney General Michael Mukasey rushed out new guidelines for the F.B.I. that permit agents to use chillingly intrusive techniques to collect information on Americans even where there is no evidence of wrongdoing.

Now is a good time for us all to be very vigilant and vocal.  Let your congressmen know just how horrified you will be if they support any of this nonsense.   Keep your fingers on the keyboards and keep blogging, sending bulletins, and writing your leaders.  Let's make sure that our voices are so loud that any action the White House takes will be met with intense indignation.

January's a long way away, folks.  There is still much harm that GWB could do.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Hopefully the already

Hopefully the already Democratic majority before the next ones are sword in won't let him do much of anything.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I believe in the Devil, the

I believe in the Devil, the muti Anti-Christs .... metaphorically that is ....

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wait a minute. Am I the only

Wait a minute. Am I the only one that read the bill?

You didn't think ol' georgie came up with this idea on his own did you???

Fucking please.

Section 401 of HR 1484 on page 111

SEC. 401. PERMANENT AUTHORITY FOR UNDERCOVER OPERATIONS.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Section 7608(c) (relating to rules relating
to undercover operations) is amended by striking paragraph (6).
(b) EFFECTIVE DATE.—The amendment made by this section
shall apply to operations conducted after the date of the enactment
of this Act.
SEC. 402. PERMANENT AUTHORITY FOR DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
RELATING TO TERRORIST ACTIVITIES.
(a) DISCLOSURE OF RETURN INFORMATION TO APPRISE APPROPRIATE
OFFICIALS OF TERRORIST ACTIVITIES.—Subparagraph (C) of
section 6103(i)(3) is amended by striking clause (iv).
H. R. 1424—112
(b) DISCLOSURE UPON REQUEST OF INFORMATION RELATING TO
TERRORIST ACTIVITIES.—Paragraph (7) of section 6103(i) is amended
by striking subparagraph (E).
(c) EFFECTIVE DATE.—The amendments made by this section
shall apply to disclosures after the date of the enactment of this
Act.

Section of US code referenced 7608(c):

http://www2.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscode26/usc_sec_26_00007608----000-.html

Paragraph six is toward the bottom and establishes the fact that it's already timed out, but it has been extended twice this year by congressional committee without need to bring it to the floor. You're just going to have to believe me because reading committee minutes is like masturbating with one pinky. Even our beloved Nancy, Chris, Henry, and Barney LOVED this shit and praised the committees for their work.

You'll all need to read this. I ain't copying and pasting forever the shit you should have been reading the week it was in the house and senate.

This is exactly what the majority of congress wanted.

This isn't Bush. This is the TARP.

I just wonder if the kids got their wooden arrows yet.

And people ask me why I am the number one self-loathing American?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I can't wait until Bush is

I can't wait until Bush is gone.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I can't

MattShizzle wrote:
I can't wait until Bush is gone.
Haha! That is SO going into a desktop widget.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
You can get something from

You can get something from that site free to add to your desktop - even get it as a screensaver!