Think Before You Speak Campaign ... hmmm

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Think Before You Speak Campaign ... hmmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVicCD8FmMs

I understand that intolerance towards homosexuals is a terrible thing and is fueled in part by ignorance, but I also feel like people take things too personally and too seriously. One girl said to me, "I say that's so straight since people say that's so gay!"

Yes, it's different being gay then straight (even though using those terms in general is in a sense stereotyping, since everyone is somewhere slightly different on the "sexual spectrum"...but I digress). Humans have always been intolerant towards homosexuals. But when I use the term "gay" the last thing I think of is a homosexual person. Perhaps instead of changing slang since it's inevitable that memes will circulate in and out, we should change the way we think about homosexuals.

"Gay" or "straight" is more obnoxious to me than saying something is "gay". After all, if humans are just humans and love/sexuality is what it is, then why must we put a label on everything? It reminds me very much of our desperate need to classify and define race.

The point is, I tend to roll my eyes at these ad campaigns. Not because their message is wrong, but because there is far more behind anti-homosexuality than a slang term. Religion, for instance, is a far more significant cause of intolerance and irrational thinking.

After all, homophobics will be homophobics regardless of what term is used to described homosexuals. Just like teenagers saying "that's so gay" won't effect how they view gay people.

Just saying...

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Cool. I agree, and also

Cool. I agree, and also think blacks and Jews need to "just get over it." I mean, words like "fag" and "nigger" and "kike" are just words, free from any historical context or emotional baggage. I mean, really, I've never been called "kike," and if I were, I'd just shrug it off. Like, if I can't sense any degradation in the word, then no one else should either, regardless of how recently a minority was violently persecuted alongside the use of those same words. And if the word I preferred over the slur was being co-opted into a slur? Stiff upper lip and all that; the majority knows best. Great job, Peppermint. You're really tidying up the social landscape. Any other words of wisdom?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mags, why d'ya gotta be so

Mags, why d'ya gotta be so fucking gay?

Sticking out tongue

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Mags,

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Mags, why d'ya gotta be so fucking gay?

Sticking out tongue

Don't derail this, spotty.

Micheal ZK
Micheal ZK's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:Cool. I agree,

magilum wrote:

Cool. I agree, and also think blacks and Jews need to "just get over it." I mean, words like "fag" and "nigger" and "kike" are just words, free from any historical context or emotional baggage. I mean, really, I've never been called "kike," and if I were, I'd just shrug it off. Like, if I can't sense any degradation in the word, then no one else should either, regardless of how recently a minority was violently persecuted alongside the use of those same words. And if the word I preferred over the slur was being co-opted into a slur? Stiff upper lip and all that; the majority knows best. Great job, Peppermint. You're really tidying up the social landscape. Any other words of wisdom?

I just pictured a tea kettle whistling like crazy while reading this

Any book is a kids book if the kid can read.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have to put out there that

I have to put out there that 'taking back the word' is an often unsuccessful approach to removing the stigma attached to a word.  Take the word nigger for instance.  Black people are self-identifying with that word, but it's taboo for anyone else to say it.  Taboo because I can't, apparently, use the word in the same way as black people because I'm not a black person... or this is what I'm told.  This poses a considerable problem because the majority of people who I ever hear use the word nigger are black and they're referring to other black people.  In my head the word nigger=black person and on another level it means something racist.  And why shouldn't it?  I'm not racist.  I'm well aware of what the word has meant and of what black people are doing by using it, at least intellectually, but if they're using the word to self-identify and they're the only people using the word, they're either reinforcing what the word has meant by constantly reminding everyone else of it or leading to the equating of nigger with themselves.  The only thing 'taking back the word' has done for black people is make it taboo for everyone else to use.

That being said, the word gay is a totally different scenario.  I self-identify using the word gay.  Gays have used this term and gays came up with the term.  It has only ever meant gay, like a (not necessarily) flamboyant, effeminate homosexual.  When I was a child and people used the word gay, it meant that.  Now, somewhere a long the line, and I have little doubt that the trend started in California (though no one has researched it yet, linguistic trends like slang and particular speech that become very popular in English have historically moved from the East coast USA to the West), someone, probably gay, used the term to describe something and it caught on.  This was probably a bad move.

I do not think of things as 'gay'.  I don't think anyone should think of things as 'gay'.  And I don't think there's a reason for people to use the term like that, unless they really want to take part in another slang trend.  I don't want to 'take back the word', for the word hasn't, until now, meant anything other than the word itself.  I don't want people to stop using it.  I was fine when people would use when it meant only gay.  It wasn't insulting to me, I am gay.  It certainly was never insulting to anyone who wasn't, unless they were particularly insecure (or closeted).  But this new usage presents a particular problem.  When people start using the word to insult others and not just to describe objects, it might actually start hurting and people might start to forget that there was ever a distinction.  I'm gay.  I call myself gay.  People have called me gay and people know gays as gay.  But not 'gay'.  I'm rather confident that the trend will die out as long as it isn't perpetuated into the national spotlight by campaigns against it... such campaigns tend to reinforce use, especially in teens (...so much for that hope).

So, I agree, partially, with the OP.  At the same time, I think it's important to realize that words have meanings and that people have emotions and that people respond to the emotions of others.  If the word gay is going to mean something other than gay, I don't want to have a part in that.  Maybe if people started to think of gays as something other than gay we wouldn't have to worry about how people use the word gay, and that is happening, but we're all different and we all notice those differences and I'm not at all sure that's a bad thing.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:Cool. I agree,

magilum wrote:

And for typing in one paragraph what took me 5, the award for concise condescension goes to magilum.  Thank you for making a point.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course the ambiguity

Of course the ambiguity behind the word might lead to hurt feelings and you should most likely refrain from using it in formal settings, but between friends all kinds of things are said. I feel like the campaign is trying to make people feel bad about off-handedly making a remark. Again, this isn't the real problem here. Eminem put it nicely:

I'm like a head trip to listen to, cause I'm only givin you
things you joke about with your friends inside your living room
The only difference is I got the balls to say it
in front of y'all and I don't gotta be false or sugarcoated at all

Point is, people get too worked up about words, when what they need to examine is why we ARE so intolerant of homosexuals. 

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:Of course

peppermint wrote:

Of course the ambiguity behind the word might lead to hurt feelings and you should most likely refrain from using it in formal settings, but between friends all kinds of things are said. I feel like the campaign is trying to make people feel bad about off-handedly making a remark. Again, this isn't the real problem here. Eminem put it nicely:

I'm like a head trip to listen to, cause I'm only givin you
things you joke about with your friends inside your living room
The only difference is I got the balls to say it
in front of y'all and I don't gotta be false or sugarcoated at all

Point is, people get too worked up about words, when what they need to examine is why we ARE so intolerant of homosexuals. 

The thing, is, peppermint, that words mean a lot and can often carry very emotional connotations.  People get worked up about words, even too worked up, for rather good reasons.  You wouldn't like it very much if people used your name as people are now using the word gay.  Of course, you wouldn't know what it's like because no one is using your name like that.  It actually does hurt, just a little, over and over again, when people use a word that I identify with in a derogatory manner.  It's fucking stupid.  I can think of a bunch of other words that they could use instead.  If I get a bit worked up about it, I think I'm justified.

I do agree that society as a whole needs to examine what's so bad about homosexuality and work through it.  Grabbing onto the slang of the moment, however, is not helping the problem.  Neither, of course, are the damned advertisements, but then if some people feel bad for making a thoughtless, offhanded remark that hurts other people I can't say I'll fight that hard against it.  People are, after all, making a thoughtless, offhanded remark when they use the word gay as they are.

Now, onto Eminem.  Yeah, he is saying, publicly, all the things people say in private (I don't actually use the word gay in private to mean anything other than gay).  But, why do people say such things in private and what are they thinking when they're saying them?  If people don't use them publicly, is there a reason?  And if there's a reason what is it?  If words didn't have meanings and if people didn't take them seriously we couldn't make any meaningful use of language.  Again, people get worked up about how others use words because they do have meanings and sometimes those meanings are very personal.

BigUniverse wrote,

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The thing, is,

Quote:
The thing, is, peppermint, that words mean a lot and can often carry very emotional connotations.

Having just finished studying language in something of a crash-course fashion, I've actually come to the opinion that intonation actually carries far more weight than the words themselves.

If we're out having a good time, for example, and you do something clever, I might say, 'Oh, you motherfucker!', but with the intonation suggesting a compliment. Given a different context and different tone, however, calling you a motherfucker might mean something else entirely.

Racial slurs do tend to be different (...though, curiously, 'Jew' and 'Gay' - used negatively - for some reason just don't seem to be as offensive. Perhaps that just comes from my geographical region); 'nigger' seems to be taboo for anyone who isn't black to say, regardless of tone or context.

Odd.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it depends on how

I think it depends on how you personally take it. Perez Hilton, for example, jokingly calls himself a "fag" as in "Hey, I'm a fag, I get it!" This is probably helping the gay movement far more than wagging a finger at people using the slang. Why? Because it brushes it off and uses humor to make light of the situation. His confidence and ability to shrug off other people's ignorance is a great way to gain respect and tolerance.

I'm not saying it's a good use of the word. I'm just suggesting that the value we place on  words is what makes them offensive. Not that you're unjustified in feeling hurt, but that when people say the word (like most teenagers) they aren't doing it to be cruel or to degrade homosexuals.

Like I said, I think the bigger issue here is why we feel the need to label everyone, and why it is so important to "define" your sexuality for everyone else. It's really not, it's a very personal thing. I'm sorry that it bothers you, Thomathy. I almost wish homosexuals would disengage from calling themselves gay, since its become such an ambiguous/tainted term.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
A concession that a civil

A concession that a civil majority makes is that the people their ancestors violently oppressed get to be called whatever the fuck they want. It's a consolation prize in lieu of giving back land and raising the murdered from the dead. It's a little agreement we can make every day that shows we're willing to meet each other half way. For people like Duane "Dog the mullet-headed meth-mouthed ex-con pseudo-cop bounty hunter," it's too much of a hardship to stop saying "nigger." All I can say is, the next time you feel yourself getting upset over "mere words" (there's no such thing), remember you've waived that right.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd like to point out that I

I'd like to point out that I have never met a 'straight' person. The closest I've come is bi.

Hear me out...

You (guy or girl) have masturbated. Correct? Thus you have pleased a member of the same sex. Ergo you have engaged in a same-sex act and are bi- or homo- sexual.

It doesn't matter what you were thinking, watching, or doing while you were masturbating, you were still engaged in a same-sex act.

For another reference:

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:I think it

peppermint wrote:

I think it depends on how you personally take it. Perez Hilton, for example, jokingly calls himself a "fag" as in "Hey, I'm a fag, I get it!" This is probably helping the gay movement far more than wagging a finger at people using the slang. Why? Because it brushes it off and uses humor to make light of the situation. His confidence and ability to shrug off other people's ignorance is a great way to gain respect and tolerance.

I'm not saying it's a good use of the word. I'm just suggesting that the value we place on  words is what makes them offensive. Not that you're unjustified in feeling hurt, but that when people say the word (like most teenagers) they aren't doing it to be cruel or to degrade homosexuals.

Like I said, I think the bigger issue here is why we feel the need to label everyone, and why it is so important to "define" your sexuality for everyone else. It's really not, it's a very personal thing. I'm sorry that it bothers you, Thomathy. I almost wish homosexuals would disengage from calling themselves gay, since its become such an ambiguous/tainted term.

Look, peppermint this is a slightly emotional issue for me, but please, don't be sorry.  It's not like I'm crying or that I'm especially upset.  I promise I don't need to see a psychiatrist over the usage of the word gay.  I really can laugh about it too.  Actually, I think what Perez is doing is a great way to deal with the issue.  It's not my way.

It would be nice if it wasn't necessary to define ourselves, but when the difference is pointed out and you're seeking for people like you it helps if the people you're looking for can be identified and then it feels good to be part of a group and to have something you can call yourself.  Kind of like atheists and this site here.  Perhaps you'd wish for atheists to disengage from calling themselves atheist?  It is, after all, ambiguous/tainted.

I understand very well what you'd like to happen, peppermint.  But people are not going to stop identifying themselves by their characteristics, least of all while their fighting for themselves on the basis of those characteristics.  Further, magilum makes an excellent point.

((Kevin, yes, intonation can add a lot of implicit meaning to a word.  It's interesting to note, however, that in a language like English the way intonation is used is very different from how it's used in a tonal language like Chinese.  Also interesting is how rythym and loudness (among other factors) can affect the meaning of words and sentences.))

BigUniverse wrote,

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:A concession

magilum wrote:

A concession that a civil majority makes is that the people their ancestors violently oppressed get to be called whatever the fuck they want. It's a consolation prize in lieu of giving back land and raising the murdered from the dead. It's a little agreement we can make every day that shows we're willing to meet each other half way. For people like Duane "Dog the mullet-headed meth-mouthed ex-con pseudo-cop bounty hunter," it's too much of a hardship to stop saying "nigger." All I can say is, the next time you feel yourself getting upset over "mere words" (there's no such thing), remember you've waived that right.

Women have been discriminated against for as long as there have been men and women. Women have been degraded, inslaved, marginalized, you name it. And these things are happening right now, as we speak.

I'm not sure that there is an agreed upon derogatory term for women but let's go with "cunt". It seems to be a word that women really don't like and I'd only call a woman that if I were really pissed off and wanted to get her as pissed off as I was.

So now let's say women, en masse, start wearing hats that say "cunt" on them as a sign of solidarity or something. Now, does the fact that women have had historical injustices done to them suddenly erase the fact that they have the word "cunt" printed on thier hats? Does it somehow cease to be offensive? Do they have the "right" to say pretty much whatever they want?

Each person sucking in air on this planet can claim to be part of an oppressed group. Does that somehow give us some get out of jail free card about using derogatory terms? Even if they're just terms that are derogatory to themselves? If I am to be held responsible for what I say, guess what, that means you are too.

Using words like gay and retard are rude. I do it all of the time and one of these days I'm going to offend someone and really feel like a shit head. They're just words in my list of things to say when I run out of a better description. If I am homosexual or mentally handicap does that suddenly make it ok for me to use those words? No, why would it? I don't somehow stop being responsible for the shit coming out of my mouth. I am accountable for what I say and do. It's all I have.

Another example closer to home. I'm overweight. My friends and I make fat jokes, mainly about me. It's funny, I'm not sensitive about it.

Now, let's say I'm in the grocery store and one of my friends calls me fat and there is chick with a big fat ass in front of us in line. She hears "big fat loser" and spins around all red in the face.

"How dare you, you cunt (she can say that, because she's a woman)! You should be more sensitive about the words you use"
"Fuck you lady" I say "I'm fat so I can say fat whenever I want and in any context"

BTW, would people PLEASE stop comparing words that are rude to words that are associated with open warfare and the brutal loss of hundreds of thousands of lives. I really think those words should be considered on seperate cases and not clumped together. Comparing words like nigger to words like gay generally just adds emotion to the conversation when there might not be any if nigger hadn't been brought into the conversation.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:I'd like to

darth_josh wrote:

I'd like to point out that I have never met a 'straight' person. The closest I've come is bi.

Hear me out...

You (guy or girl) have masturbated. Correct? Thus you have pleased a member of the same sex. Ergo you have engaged in a same-sex act and are bi- or homo- sexual.

It doesn't matter what you were thinking, watching, or doing while you were masturbating, you were still engaged in a same-sex act.

I'm not sure that pleasuring yourself could be considered pleasing a member of the same sex. For a number of reasons. First, what if the person has more than one set of genitalia? Happens naturally sometimes. For another, how is yourself a member of the same sex? There is only one sex in self pleasuring, so the term "same" is inconsequential and irrelevant.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:If I am

marcusfish wrote:
If I am homosexual or mentally handicap does that suddenly make it ok for me to use those words? No, why would it? I don't somehow stop being responsible for the shit coming out of my mouth. I am accountable for what I say and do. It's all I have.
I don't know about someone who is mentally handicapped, but I can use the word gay and so can you.  Gay means gay.  It's an okay word to use.  It so happens that now the word is being used to describe things that are stupid or something.  If you don't use the word like that or otherwise derogatorily, then I can't see what would be wrong with using the word.

BigUniverse wrote,

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I'm not sure

Vastet wrote:
I'm not sure that pleasuring yourself could be considered pleasing a member of the same sex.
Well, Vastet, if you are male and have male genitalia you are a member of the male sex.  You are pleasing a member of your own sex if you are masturbating.  What you're not doing is pleasuring another member of your sex.  I'm fairly certain it was meant as a joke anyhow.

BigUniverse wrote,

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes. It was supposed to be

Yes. It was supposed to be funny.

I suppose you could count it as close to straight if you used your off-hand that way it felt like someone else's and you didn't watch yourself.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:[...]If I

marcusfish wrote:

[...]

If I am to be held responsible for what I say, guess what, that means you are too.

Using words like gay and retard are rude. I do it all of the time and one of these days I'm going to offend someone and really feel like a shit head. They're just words in my list of things to say when I run out of a better description. If I am homosexual or mentally handicap does that suddenly make it ok for me to use those words? No, why would it? I don't somehow stop being responsible for the shit coming out of my mouth. I am accountable for what I say and do. It's all I have.

It seems like you're addressing the "black people use the word nigger" argument, which I didn't remotely bring up. I've heard the distinction made that they use the word "nigga," rather than "nigger." It's disputed whether this is a legitimate distinction, and some people think coining a derogatory term for self-reference is just another sign of colonial programming. In the broadest possible terms, the main point that sticks out to me is that it's not up to you. It's not up to the oppressors to decide whether these distinctions are logical. Part of the concession to the oppressed is not presuming to understand, and "help" with these distinctions. That presumption is itself another insult.

marcusfish wrote:

Another example closer to home. I'm overweight. My friends and I make fat jokes, mainly about me. It's funny, I'm not sensitive about it.

Now, let's say I'm in the grocery store and one of my friends calls me fat and there is chick with a big fat ass in front of us in line. She hears "big fat loser" and spins around all red in the face.

"How dare you, you cunt (she can say that, because she's a woman)! You should be more sensitive about the words you use"
"Fuck you lady" I say "I'm fat so I can say fat whenever I want and in any context"

Huh? *rubs bloodshot eyes*

marcusfish wrote:

BTW, would people PLEASE stop comparing words that are rude to words that are associated with open warfare and the brutal loss of hundreds of thousands of lives. I really think those words should be considered on seperate cases and not clumped together. Comparing words like nigger to words like gay generally just adds emotion to the conversation when there might not be any if nigger hadn't been brought into the conversation.

Both groups have been subject to violent oppression, and both are asking for a simple verbal concession. I see the distinction you make as a red herring. The price of wanting progress is finding we're not always on the side of it we think at a given moment.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with

I agree with marcusfish.

Invoking another example of a different type of discriminatory speech does not help the argument.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:I agree

darth_josh wrote:

I agree with marcusfish.

Invoking another example of a different type of discriminatory speech does not help the argument.

Really? His argument was very scatter-shot, and coming from the power-majority position, not even potentially insightful.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:darth_josh

magilum wrote:

darth_josh wrote:

I agree with marcusfish.

Really? His argument was very scatter-shot, and coming from the power-majority position, not even potentially insightful.

Scattershot? Perhaps. Not insightful? I disagree.

marcusfish wrote:

magilum
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:magilum

darth_josh wrote:

magilum wrote:

darth_josh wrote:

I agree with marcusfish.

marcusfish wrote:

It's hard for members of the ruling majority to understand what a double-slap in the face it is to have the terms dictated for how minorities should be regarded by their own historical oppressors. It's not your place, or mine, to decide whether the regression of a euphemism into a dysphemism is as emotionally impactful as an old slur's continued use. I don't know, because it's subjective and I'm not the subject in question. There are slurs that bother me, and I can argue their historical meaning if I must. But the important thing in this case is WE DON'T GET IT AND IT'S NOT OUR PLACE. If a black person wants to argue that with a gay person, so be it. If a black person steps forward saying it doesn't bother him, that doesn't let anyone off the hook for the people it does bother on a deep and alienating level. Arguing these points from a distance is hideously presumptuous. All of this assumes that respecting others by meeting them halfway is important. If it's not, then none of this will be meaningful to you.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:darth_josh

magilum wrote:

darth_josh wrote:

magilum wrote:

darth_josh wrote:

I agree with marcusfish.

marcusfish wrote:

It's hard for members of the ruling majority to understand what a double-slap in the face it is to have the terms dictated for how minorities should be regarded by their own historical oppressors. It's not your place, or mine, to decide whether the regression of a euphemism into a dysphemism is as emotionally impactful as an old slur's continued use. I don't know, because it's subjective and I'm not the subject in question. There are slurs that bother me, and I can argue their historical meaning if I must. But the important thing in this case is WE DON'T GET IT AND IT'S NOT OUR PLACE. If a black person wants to argue that with a gay person, so be it. If a black person steps forward saying it doesn't bother him, that doesn't let anyone off the hook for the people it does bother on a deep and alienating level. Arguing these points from a distance is hideously presumptuous. All of this assumes that respecting others by meeting them halfway is important. If it's not, then none of this will be meaningful to you.

Okay Okay, Honky. I get it. Ya didn't have ta break all redneck on me. Joe six-pack and I will leave the conversation alone.

BTW, I'm an atheist too. Remember? The last minority that it's okay to discriminate against.

None of that adds any basis to the original argument. That's the point.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:Okay Okay,

darth_josh wrote:

Okay Okay, Honky. I get it. Ya didn't have ta break all redneck on me. Joe six-pack and I will leave the conversation alone.

Hey, I'm only partly anglo, but not black or gay, so it disqualifies me from the subjective conversation. Rather I stand outside and say that concessions must be made from one group to the next to achieve something like respect.

darth_josh wrote:

BTW, I'm an atheist too. Remember? The last minority that it's okay to discriminate against.

None of that adds any basis to the original argument. That's the point.

I don't understand.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let me try this then:The OP

Let me try this then:

The OP was discussing the word 'gay'.

Several others threw in other references to irrelevant epithets regarding other stereotyped minorities.

It was then asserted that making a comparison based upon different differences did not add to the original argument. It isn't about subjective analysis. It was about argument analysis. It is an extended analogy fallacy to insert racial epithets into the argument about sexuality epithets.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:Let me try

darth_josh wrote:

Let me try this then:

The OP was discussing the word 'gay'.

Several others threw in other references to irrelevant epithets regarding other stereotyped minorities.

It was then asserted that making a comparison based upon different differences did not add to the original argument. It isn't about subjective analysis. It was about argument analysis. It is an extended analogy fallacy to insert racial epithets into the argument about sexuality epithets.

Then I've understood perfectly. Gays have endured "faggot," "fairy," "queer," "homo," "dyke," "nancy," etc. For some of which there has been a trend of re-appropriation. Appropriating the most benign term, "gay," to demean something means there must be something demeaning about the word; meaning there must be something negative about what the word is used mainly to describe. There really is no way out of that. If "gay" means bad, gays are bad.

If it's fallacious to say that turning a term like "gay" into a negative, however thinly decontextualized, it's only because I haven't provided adequate precedent for it happening with other terms in the mainstream, mainly, IMO, because the view of gays is primitive enough that it's not considered prejudicial to consider them a stereotype. There are people who would "go there" in terms of associating black people with watermelon, say, but there is a lot of potential for backlash within the social framework in a way that isn't so for gays at this point. It's not taken seriously by the mainstream; that's why it seems OK to some people, and that's what the ad addresses.

I don't know on what basis racial and sexual epithets are unrelated, since they're often used by the same people; toward people who have faced similar risks just for visibility. There are specific differences, but to say broadly that those differences defeat the comparison is a red herring.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:It seems like

magilum wrote:

It seems like you're addressing the "black people use the word nigger" argument, which I didn't remotely bring up.

magilum wrote:
Cool. I agree, and also think blacks and Jews need to "just get over it." I mean, words like "fag" and "nigger" and "kike" are just words, free from any historical context or emotional baggage. I mean, really, I've never been called "kike," and if I were, I'd just shrug it off.

This is the comparison I was refering too when I said that some terms hold an entirly different level of offense for obvious reasons. These terms should be addressed on their own time as they carry a massive amount of historical and emotional baggage. Confusing these two topics just muddys the water.

I agree, my post was scattershot! That whole thinking/communication connection gets lost for me sometimes.

[EDIT: I found the post I was referring to when talking about the "taking the word back" topic. Sorry mag, I thought you had said it]

thomathy wrote:
I have to put out there that 'taking back the word' is an often unsuccessful approach to removing the stigma attached to a word.  Take the word nigger for instance.  Black people are self-identifying with that word, but it's taboo for anyone else to say it.  Taboo because I can't, apparently, use the word in the same way as black people because I'm not a black person... or this is what I'm told.  This poses a considerable problem because the majority of people who I ever hear use the word nigger are black and they're referring to other black people.  In my head the word nigger=black person and on another level it means something racist.  And why shouldn't it?  I'm not racist.  I'm well aware of what the word has meant and of what black people are doing by using it, at least intellectually, but if they're using the word to self-identify and they're the only people using the word, they're either reinforcing what the word has meant by constantly reminding everyone else of it or leading to the equating of nigger with themselves.  The only thing 'taking back the word' has done for black people is make it taboo for everyone else to use.

OP: I agree that it is counter productive to get all up in arms about word use. However, we are responsible for what we say and we should temper what comes out of our mouths with that knowledge.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Close To Home

magilum wrote:

Arguing these points from a distance is hideously presumptuous.

I think I disagree with you here, if I understand what you are suggesting.

I would ask, how close do I need to be to a topic to have my opinion counted? Do I have to be a homosexual to talk about the propper use of words like "faggot"? What if my brother is homosexual? What if I read a book on it? What if I live in a society that is constantly affected by the goings on of the homosexual community? What if I am just a person with an opinion?

I am arguing from my own perspective. It is not the perspective of a black person or a homosexual person. Those folks weigh in with their experiences and I weigh in with mine. The fact that I am a member of the oppressing majority... I don't buy that. That is just a catch all to dismiss my opinion as irrelivant right out of the gate. *That* is hideously presumptuous.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:magilum

marcusfish wrote:

magilum wrote:

Arguing these points from a distance is hideously presumptuous.

I think I disagree with you here, if I understand what you are suggesting.

I would ask, how close do I need to be to a topic to have my opinion counted? Do I have to be a homosexual to talk about the propper use of words like "faggot"? What if my brother is homosexual? What if I read a book on it? What if I live in a society that is constantly affected by the goings on of the homosexual community? What if I am just a person with an opinion?

I am arguing from my own perspective. It is not the perspective of a black person or a homosexual person. Those folks weigh in with their experiences and I weigh in with mine. The fact that I am a member of the oppressing majority... I don't buy that. That is just a catch all to dismiss my opinion as irrelivant right out of the gate. *That* is hideously presumptuous.

Even in the scenarios provided, you wouldn't have a subjective understanding of the weight of those words. You may try to sympathize, but this is, by your own insistence, not an accurate comparison. You have in all likelihood been the unwitting beneficiary of the privileges of the culturally dominating ethnicity and gender. Whatever you may have gone through, you did not go through what blacks, gays, women, etc., have, so your opinion on the impact of those words can only come from a place of ignorance, or at the least, a kind of sympathy. When I talk about their impact, I'm not speaking of a passing hurt; I'm talking about a potential for deep mutilation of self-image, which causes people to view themselves negatively, to underachieve, or put themselves in danger. It doesn't affect everyone the same way, obviously, but if it affects any at all, I don't see it as a hardship to accomodate a simple request to adjust something as mutable and transient as slang. That is, if you want a role in a civil society where such mutual agreements are possible.