Random Conversation

Micheal ZK
Micheal ZK's picture
User is offlineOffline
Random Conversation

For the love of all thats good, no politics for a just a second.   Here's a random conversation:  Does anyone here think Brazillian Ju-jitsu is as cool as me?  I fear it's getting a bad rap.  Why or why not?

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why would BJJ get a bad

Why would BJJ get a bad rap?  It is one of the most effective grappling disciplines in the world, and thanks partly to MMA is also more popular than ever.  It's more than cool, it's downright awesome.

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Happy Wednesday,Nothing says

Happy Wednesday,

Nothing says good morning like a few videos of men trying their best to overtake one another.Smell the submission?

Actually, JiuJitsu is something I have thought about learning, how cool would it be for little ole me to be able to defend myself (without relying on gouging eyes and kicking balls) The whole concept of using leverage to defend against an attacker...sounds like fun  Eye-wink   hmmm  what part of my body would be my fulcrum?

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where is it getting a bad

Where is it getting a bad rap?

Micheal ZK
Micheal ZK's picture
User is offlineOffline
phooney wrote:Where is it

phooney wrote:

Where is it getting a bad rap?

I think most people still have a very negative view of mma, (despite its ridiculously high ratings) and since BJJ is such a staple in that, negitive by association. 

Granted this is just my POV from green bay wi, where its hard as hell to find a place that teaches straight BJJ.  (8 weeks i've been getting my ass handed to me now,  or as they call it, "training" )  I cant begin to tell you how many times i've heard people refer to it as gay or some other ignorant crap. 

Personaly I find it to be useful for other things than just self defence.   I'm not sure if there is another phrase for it but i call it "forced meditation."  Nothing brings your focus to a point like when some skilled motherfucker is trying to choke you.  If you think about your grocery list ONCE your gonna find yourself in some kind of blood depriving neck hug.  (....it almost sounds nice to put it like that.  who doesn't want a hug?  )

Favorite move:  peruvian necktie

Any book is a kids book if the kid can read.

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
My personal favourite has

My personal favourite has always been the triangle choke.  There's something inherently classy about choking someone to tap while laying on the floor with both of your hands behind your head Smiling