No Couples Enter Abstinence Contest

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
No Couples Enter Abstinence Contest

Excerpt wrote:

ATLANTA (AP) -- Abstaining from sex before marriage doesn't appear to be worth ten thousand dollars. So far there are no couples willing to participate in a contest that would pay $10,000 to an engaged couple, as long as they abstain from premarital sex.

Contest organizer Phillippia Faust says "In our society it's going to be hard to find" a couple that hasn't had premarital sex.

Faust has orchestrated mock weddings and other pro-marriage activities through her Marriage Appreciation Training Uplifting Relationship Education program. It is a nonprofit that isn't church-affiliated. The program is implemented through Rockdale Medical Center.

I call bullshit on it's not being "church affiliated. " It might not be with a specific church, but guaranteed it's all about Christianity. If it goes all the way to Halloween with no entries I think that would qualify as an epic fail.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:©2008

MattShizzle wrote:
©2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten, or redistributed.

I love how your quote included that line.

I think we need to find someone who is getting married the day after to enter.  Easily snap up that money. Smiling

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:I think we need

thingy wrote:

I think we need to find someone who is getting married the day after to enter.  Easily snap up that money. Smiling

Even better if they were gay.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Faust has orchestrated

Quote:
Faust has orchestrated mock weddings and other pro-marriage activities through her Marriage Appreciation Training Uplifting Relationship Education program.

Well, a little digging finds that the Rockdale Hospital was started by The Callaway Foundation, which, though not religious, has given substantial grants to churches over it's history.  Whether that's relevant or not, I don't know.

With a little more digging, I found this:

Black Sun Journal wrote:
A "challenge" promising $10,000 for a wedding to couples who agree to abstain from sex and undergo religious counseling is going down in flames. No one has stepped up to enter the contest, and now the organizers are relaxing the standards saying they’re open to couples who’ve had premarital sex but acknowledge it’s the "wrong choice."

http://www.blacksunjournal.com/religion/1457_abstinence-marriage-challenge-draws-no-takers_2008.html

It seems the AP article neglected to mention the religious counseling that goes along with the vow.  This, my friends, is an example of telling the truth to tell a lie.  It does appear that the Marriage Appreciation Training Uplifting Relationship Education Program is not "church affiliated" as evidenced here:

U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services wrote:

ROCKDALE MEDICAL CENTER

PURPOSE: The Rockdale Medical Center (RMC) will implement the Marriage Appreciation Training Uplifting Relationship Education (MATURE) project. MATURE integrates educational strategies that support healthy marriages through the provision of 15 lessons. It will serve 2000 9th through 12th grade students in the tri-county area of DeKalb, Newton, and Rockdale Counties of Georgia, utilizing the “Pairs for Peers and Connections: Relationships and Marriage” curricula. In addition to marriage appreciation, lessons will address healthy male/female relationships and life-skills information such as dating violence prevention, domestic violence prevention, and budgeting. Activities proposed to accomplish objectives will be achieved through a dual approach (school site and community based). Activities will include a marriage appreciation awareness dinner, an essay competition for students on a marriage related topic, and marriage trading cards with pictures of couples who have been married 25 plus years and their marriage stories and tips for success.

GRANT RECIPIENT: Rockdale Medical Center

PROJECT PERIOD: 09/30/2006-09/29/2011

FUNDING: $455,510 per year

PROGRAM OFFICE: Office of Family Assistance

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/healthymarriage/funding/hmi_2009_programs.html

However, the program admittedly contains religious content.  Now, let's look at another way this has gotten spun.   Did you read above that couples who have had premarital sex are ok as long as they admit it's wrong and promise not to do it?  Here's the quote:  "No one has stepped up to enter the contest, and now the organizers are relaxing the standards saying they’re open to couples who’ve had premarital sex but acknowledge it’s the "wrong choice.""

Curiously, Fox News didn't mention that point:

Fox News wrote:
So far, organizer Phillippia Faust hasn’t gotten any entries.

She said, “In our society it’s going to be hard to find” a couple that hasn’t had premarital sex.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7709284&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

(Ok, let's just ignore that little "in our society" bit.)

Quote:
 I call bullshit on it's not being "church affiliated. " It might not be with a specific church, but guaranteed it's all about Christianity. If it goes all the way to Halloween with no entries I think that would qualify as an epic fail.

Are you kidding?  Ten thousand dollars with all the Christians in Atlanta, and no takers within 15 minutes?  Already an epic fail.

This is dazzling evidence of just how fucking hypocritical Christians are about sex.  Thanks for the post, Matt, although... um maybe you should just do excerpts allowable by law instead of blatantly defying compyright.  If you notice that your OP has changed, well... duh....

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shit, who wants to get

Shit, who wants to get married?  There will be plenty of the 10k left after the marriage license, court house wedding, and quickie divorce.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Now there's an idea!

Now there's an idea! Actually why not have a couple planning on getting married anyway do this? How exactly could they prove that they waited? They could actually screw every night and just lie!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I assume they  think they

I assume they  think they will catch you because of the requirement for pre-martial counseling... I hear that can get pretty intense.

However, I'd gladly sit through a dozen or so hour plus lectures and give up sex for a set amount of time for 10k... I have to say, it's a hell of a lot more appealing to get money for keeping your pants on than to be threated with eternal damnation. 

I hope an atheist ends up taking them up on the offer.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It would be great for

It would be great for someone who lives down there to try it. Of course it would be even funnier if they literally get no takers and have to cancel.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:It would

MattShizzle wrote:

It would be great for someone who lives down there to try it. Of course it would be even funnier if they literally get no takers and have to cancel.

Actually screw keeping the money myself - It would be more appropriate to donate the 10k to planned parenthood or just some sort of 'real' sex education program.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Actually if that happens

Actually if that happens that nobody goes for it by the end of the month, wouldn't that be both an epic fail and a self-pwn on their part?

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:Shit, who

shelleymtjoy wrote:

Shit, who wants to get married?  There will be plenty of the 10k left after the marriage license, court house wedding, and quickie divorce.

All bar the last bit, sure!

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/