Why I can't read apologetics all the way through

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why I can't read apologetics all the way through

Imagine you pick-up A Brief History of Time, and Hawking's opening statement is as follows:

'Do you know what a black hole is? Well, first, let me tell what it isn't. A black hole is not a can of chicken noodle soup.'

You flip through the rest of the book, testing every fibre of your patience in the hopes that somewhere in here you'll come across something that will enhance your understanding of the universe... but no matter how far in you dig, all that the pages stream into your brain are the many molecular intracacies of chicken noodle soup, and repeated demonstrations tha whatever black holes are, there's just no way they could be constituted of a mere can of soup (as the book broadens it's perspective, it eventually demonstrates that it's highly unlikely that any can of soup could be what a black hole is composed of).

Apologists: Why must you do this? The only thing I feel I have a more confident grasp of after reading your shit is my desire to kick you straight in the balls. Don't tell me about why believing in Jesus is totally better than being a meth addict; fucking tell me what good, rational reasoning led you to your belief in the damn deity, and present the damn evidence you promised in your promo blurb!

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
As someone who has read a

As someone who has read a few appologetic websites and seen a few samples of youtube christian logic, I really enjoyed reading your post.

Look up at the night sky and see the moon.  It is so high up that you can't eat it so it makes no sense for it to be cheese.  Also, it is not smooth like a light bulb.  It must be terrestial, therefore you are an empty hearted moron if you fail to acknowledge that it is the home to magical pink unicorns who provide all the worlds happy waves through flatulence.

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:

"Apologists: Why must you do this?"

Come on, Kevin...you know the answer to your own question.

Apologists "must do that" because that's all that they've got.  Apologetics is nothing other than the fine art of making excuses for religion, whether or not said excuses have anything at all to do with the truth.  It's really that simple.

Conor

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
The infuriating thing about

The infuriating thing about apologetics to me is that people who read it and are convinced get hit with a double whammy.  Of course, it sucks that they were fooled by bad logic.  Worse though is that they now think that kind of logic is valid!  They can now use the same kind of empty reasoning in all areas of their life. 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Yes, Hamby...

...and sometimes those same folks spend years afterwards obssessing about religious matters, spend far too much time and money taking theology courses in college, and otherwise making themselves basically useless, otherwise.

Not that I would know anything at all about that.

Conor