I'm new here. Read this and see if you agree. If you don't please explain why.

Heathensrule
Superfan
Heathensrule's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm new here. Read this and see if you agree. If you don't please explain why.

Usually I like to keep Politics and Religion out of most conversations. I have a military like stance, don't ask don't tell. I know I am not going to change anyone’s mind, even though I would like to, so talking about it or arguing about it is pointless. However, in light of the current campaigns and the magnitude of this election I would like to put my two cents in. After watching the Vice Presidential Debates I hope it has become appallingly clear that Sarah Palin has absolutely no clue what she is talking about. She has, so far, been unable to answer a question directly regardless of the interview or forum. She skates around the issue and regurgitates what she thinks her contingents want to hear. Joe Biden answered every question directly and concisely. The clear winner of that debate was Biden. Regardless of your opinion on the issues that were discussed Biden won that debate.I am a recovering Republican, not really though, my parents were Republicans but that was because they were well off and liked the tax breaks. They understood Reaganomics and were in a tax bracket that voting Republican would benefit them. Yes, they are conservative on most issues but not the ones you might think or for the reasons you might think. I would call them fiscally Republican and socially Democrat. I was a Republican because they were. This brings me to my next point.   If you are a Republican because of your religion then you are not thinking critically. Unless your church pays taxes (NONE of them do) then they should NOT be preaching politics. If you are voting the Republican ticket because someone else told you to or tried to sway you, you are not thinking critically. Try thinking for yourself, if you really do, then a light should come on in your head. Ask yourself this question. Am I voting on issues that I know are right, or that have been sold to me by someone else?   Examples would be friends, family members, pastors, priests, deacons, rabbis, peer group members. etc. etc.  I am going to list some keys political points and then show that critical thinkers should vote using their brains, not their “hearts”.  
  1. National Security: John McCain (JMc) would be a worse threat to national security than Barack Obama (BO). BO has huge international support, when he gets elected BO will reflect that Americans are fed up with the current government and we are indeed ready for change. Both in foreign policy and domestic policy, the world would view us as a different country than we have been for the last 8 years. JMc would be viewed as an extension of George W. Bush. Therefore, our foreign policy would not really change, our enemies would still hate us and we would be more vulnerable to attack. Both here and abroad. 
  2. Gay Rights: Are you are married? Do you plan on getting married? How would you feel if the government told you that you could not marry the person you love? Gay people are just that. They are People. They are not to be “tolerated” like Palin implied, they are to be treated with the same respect every person deserves. You as an American have the right to marry or do pretty much anything you want, as long as it doesn’t hurt anybody else. Gay marriages don’t hurt anybody. They are not “abominations”; they are people that are just different than you. It is not a choice or a lifestyle. They are born that way. 
  3. Roe v. Wade: This is a touchy one but if you think critically you will understand my point. Mind your own FUCKING business.
  4. Global Warming: We do not need to start off-shore drilling, this is a band aid. Yes, it will decrease dependence on foreign oil but it will help perpetuate the carbon emission problem. BO is right on the money, we need to focus on new energy resources. This will create new jobs and clean up the air. If we set the example the rest of the world will follow. We could actually make a new export! Imagine, having a real export besides grain. Now we would become players in the global economy again instead of just being consumers.
  5. Taxes: If you make over $250,000.00 a year BO’s tax plan might hurt you a little in the pocket book. It is fact that the top income earners pay most of the taxes in the U.S. Even if you DO make more the $250K (I think I know ONE family right now that does) a year this would not be a reason to vote Republican. If you do make $250K or more then good for you, you can afford to pay higher taxes. You can also do your part in helping your country pull out of Iraq and giving health care to millions of Americans who don’t have it. If you are like me and most are, then BO’s new tax plan will help you.
  6. The War: Haven’t enough people died over there? We need to get our troops home now. I have had friends and neighbors that have been on multiple tours. They are tired and have served their country well. They don’t need to go back. Having a full scale withdrawal would help international affairs not hinder them. The only thing that I agree with G. W. Bush on is “Mission Accomplished”. If you define ‘winning’ the war, over throwing the old régime and installing a democracy winning the war. Then we have won, and we need to get out. If you define it as occupying a foreign country and securing the region to control the flow and price of oil, then no, we haven’t won and we never will. We still need to get out of that country before the rest of the world joins the Taliban.
  I know there are a lot more topics but these are the top six as far as I am concerned. If you have anymore that you want to discuss feel free to respond.   I know I am not going to sway you. This is why I use the term over and over, think critically. Critical Thinkers vote for Obama!Superstitious people with imaginary friends vote for McCain. Think or know don’t “feel or believe”.Heathensrule

Heathensrule!

I deny the existence of the Holy Spirit!

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
REVLyle wrote:The issue of

REVLyle wrote:

The issue of foreign policy - even the OB campaign will admit that OB has no experience and he is certainly has not been as exposed as JM.

The BO campaign would admit no such thing. They won't because BO does have foreign policy experience. I would agree BO has not been "as exposed" as JM, if by exposure you only mean measured by his service while active in the military.

REVLyle wrote:
I have certainly seen how OB voted concerning the Iraq war and I do not agree with those views.  He publically said he was against it and then he voted to fund it.

Funny how you left one important fact out of what you stated here. Yes he publicly said he was against the war in Iraq.... then he VOTED AGAINST IT. Once that particular vote was lost and the war was forced upon us....then and only then did he agree to fund the troops. Is the rest of your knowledge this faulty? I could be more understanding if you'd just admit to your Fox news addiction.

REVLyle wrote:
I could at least respect the guy if he did what said, but his actions and his views seem to contradict one another.

BO's views don't contradict in this case. But...what's next. Are you going to trot out the old "flip-flopper" stand-by? A person, any person, who after much rational and logical thought decides to change their mind on an issue is NOT acting like a flip-flopper. Only those who are rabidly entrenched in the right-wing and those who can do no better than to tow the trunk party line would believe that such a change can be called flip-flopping.

Just as christ believers blindly follow the "teachings" without question, so the Republican believers follow, often blindly, the "party" without question. Oh a few may have questions.... they just know there is punishment or scorn if they speak out. BTW, please don't confuse with an idea that a few people in your church asking you for clarification on scripture is somehow equivalent to questioning the bible. To use your own phraseology: Thou shalt not shift the goalposts.

REVLyle wrote:
Do I believe that companies will move to help their bottom line - sure they will.  BUT many of them move because our government places too many obstacles in the way of a company staying.  Environmental issues come to mind.

There are very few companies who move because of "environmental issues". The bulk of the companies move because the rich want to get richer. It's predominantly a labor issue. It's just that simple. And I'm not gonna look up all the studies and evidence for you. You can do that yourself but I suspect you don't want to know. It's obvious to me now that the truth wouldn't change your mind anyway.

REVLyle wrote:
Dude, you are naive to once again state that the Republicans are the rich.

Yes, there are some rich Democrats to be sure. But I never stated that the Republicans were the only rich people, now did I ? If you don't recall what I wrote previously, then go back and read it again.

Here's another tidbit of information for you. Sometimes people change their political party affiliation. Did you know that ?  Guess which party shows significant number gains when poor or middle income people, either suddenly or over years, accumulate great wealth. If you answered the Republican party, you are correct.

REVLyle wrote:
I will not make debate about what the Bible says about homosexuality verses what the world thinks.  I have done that on other posts if you want to read it.  For one to proclaim that the Bible does not assert the sinfulness of homosexuality - they would have to be a language contortionist.

Which posts???  Provide information and I'll read and get back to you.

REVLyle wrote:
You can read my other post when it comes to tolerance for homosexuals.  I can make the same claim you make concerning Christians.  I have no hatred for homosexuals, but I do not subscribe that their lifestyle is something to strive for.

Again, which posts?  But beyond that, you confuse and cloud the actual comparison quite well. Were you also good at dodgeball in grade school?

Christianity is a belief system. This means a person can believe if they want to. It is their choice. (Although usually, at too young an age, children are inundated with holy scripture and led to believe before they have the rational capacity to choose to believe)

Homosexuality doesn't work that way. I'm not a homosexual myself but all the studies I have read state one thing quite clearly. It isn't a choice. Think you would find that most people agree with me on this as well.

REVLyle wrote:
Global warming:  I am aware of the science that has both stated pro AND con concerning man-made global climate change.

Nope. There's very little argument amongst scientists. Global climate change is real and a good portion of the "contribution" is coming from man.

REVLyle wrote:
Go back to the 1970's - the same scientists were telling us of this impending ice age.  Where is it????

And if you really heard such a thing from any scientist, what did you think "impending" meant ?

REVLyle wrote:
Your question is, can we harm the planet.  Of course you will once again not agree with my answer.  We harmed the entire world when we ushered in sin.  I believe your question is, can we have a negative global impact.

Wow, this should have been perfectly clear without you having to figure out what I was referring to with my question. After all, my question to you on global warming was positioned right after I placed your quote, your paragraph on global warming. You may be a minister but you cannot be this dense, can you?

REVLyle wrote:
I believe that the world and how it works is so much bigger than us and our understanding that we cannot make a global impact for the negative or positive barring global nuclear war.

So, you seem to accept the science of mankind's global war/ nuclear winter but deny the science of general global warming due in great part to mankinds ever increasing consumption effects. They have counseling for this you know.

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
REVLyle wrote:I certainly

REVLyle wrote:
I certainly disagree with you when it comes to Christianity being good for society.  When you go to St. Lukes hospital or Methodist hospital, etc. . . it is Christian organizations that established these institutions of medicine.

I remember reading an article or a forum topic here on this site that deals with this very widespread myth. It was about the labeling of hospitals versus how the hospitals are actually funded, overwhelmingly through tax payer money and almost never through any of these churches alone. I can't remember who wrote it, and I could find it when I tried searching. Anyone remember the article?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
REVLyle wrote:Well, first of

REVLyle wrote:
Well, first of all, you obviously feel that the best way to debate is to simply call names.
I call them like I see them and you are a bigot.  I am not a bigot.  I do not at one time tolerate you nor harm you nor insist that I do not hate you and at that same time claim that you are sinful or that what you do is not the 'truth' (which makes no sense at all) and I certainly wouldn't support any legislation banning you from using any words inherent in the rights I have.

Quote:
I responded to the original post with opinions and facts that the post asked for.
We must be using very different definitions of facts because the part of your post to which I responded contained none.

Quote:
you responded with no facts whatsoever.
No facts, eh?  Let's list that zero sum.

1. The book you claim to draw your morals from is bigoted.
  2. it's not a claim that can be defended.
  3. Homosexuality is not a choice.
  4. You can find no legitimate journal from any science that refutes the fact that homosexuality is not a choice.(By the way, where are those journals you say you can produce to contradict me?

Quote:
Let's look at what you stated.  At the beginning of your post you neither asked anything nor contributed anything - you simply called me a bigot.
Yes, is my second sentence I told you that you don't hide the fact that you're a bigot.  It was a simple thing to do.  That would be the beginning of my post and you're also correct that I didn't ask anything nor did I contribute anything except the redundant fact that you're a bigot.

Quote:
Finally you asked would I extend rights to others that identify as being homosexual.
No, that's not what I finally asked you.  My last question was at the end of the next big paragraph that I wrote.  I asked you if banning gay marriage benefited society at large.  You didn't respond, as we'll see.

Quote:
What I mean when I say that when I tolerate someone, belief, lifestyle, etc. . . is that I do not believe it has the same claim to truth or being right as that of Christianity.
Oh!  That clears it all up for me.  As a homosexual I am neither as 'true' (what does that mean?) nor am I as 'right' as what you believe.  Am I to infer that I am thus less than a Christian because I am neither as true nor as right as a Christian?  Should I infer that Christians are better than me? 

Quote:
It does not mean that I hate or harm.
Thank goodness!  It's nice to know that as inferior to you I at least don't get harmed.

Quote:
Would I extend the same rights?
Wait for it!

Quote:
I believe that marriage is only for a man and a woman.
Here it is!  If marriage is only between men and women then you're answer is, 'No.'  Instead of answering the question you wadled around it.  How dishonest.

Quote:
You believe something different.
I'm glad you said this.  You fucking bet I do!  I also live in a country where I can marry my partner. 

Quote:
I wonder - civil unions give all the same "rights" as marriage and yet homosexuals want the word marriage . . . interesting.  The rights were extended, but evidently that was not enough.  Maybe rights were not the issue????
Uh, no.  Rights are the issue and the right to marry still isn't something that homosexuals have in your country.  But, what's in a word?  I could quote Shakespeare and perhaps that cliche still has some meaning, but the fact is that by not allowing homosexuals the right to marry they are legislated into being different than you under the law.

Quote:
You might want to do some research before you make the claim, "there is a clear consensus" when it comes to the reason people are homosexual.  This site has links to Procon.org in which guys with PhD's on both sides present their findings.  You simply are not being honest or you do not know the facts.
Nope.  I do know the facts.  Homosexuality is not a choice.  Can you at least try to present me with legitimate literature that contradicts that statement.  The causes of homosexuality may not be known conclusively and it appears, as it supported by research in biology, psychology and sociology that human sexuality is a complex phenomenon affected by many factors.

Quote:
You wrote:  We all here do far more than just tolerate Christians.  Really, you tolerate me???
No, actually, I don't tolerate you.  I do far more than that.  Do you have reading comprehension issues?

Quote:
You did not respond to anything else I wrote and you simply called me names
I called you an ignorant bigot.  You are and it is exceedingly obvious.  I responded to two entire paragraphs that you wrote about homosexuality.  I responded in detail and at length to a number of your statements.  Had I wanted only to call you an ignorant bigot, I would have done only that.  What I did want to do what to show how you are an ignorant bigot.

Quote:
- the worse that you could do through the internet, based upon one belief that I have.
Oh, please, you self-important twat.

Quote:
Look at the hypocrisy in what you have written.
There is none to look at.

Quote:
I have degrees in two liberal art programs in which I worked and studied along side homosexuals who knew that I did not agree with their lifestyle and yet we befriended each other.
I'm friendly to many people I disagree with, but I don't believe that they're imoral, sinful, less right (except sometimes in the sense of correct) or less true (really, what does that mean!?) than I am.  I would not befriend someone like you knowing fully what you think of me.

Quote:
Can you say the same when it comes to Christians.
What do you mean?  Can I befriend Christians?  Of course.

Quote:
By the way - I never called them fags and they never called me a bigot.
You probably never gave them reason to call you what you are.

Quote:
The founders of this website believe that belief in God should be classified as a mental disorder.
Actually, it is already, only not under that name.

Quote:
Other atheist that they support and subscribe to believe that I should not be able to pass along my beliefs to my children.
Kind of hard to control that anyhow.  Indoctrinating children into a faith-based belief is quite a terrible thing to do.

Quote:
You talk about an invasion of rights - YIKES.
Indeed, but I never mentioned anything about an invasion of rights.

Quote:
If you need quotes - I will be more than happy to supply them.
I don't, but neither do I trust you would.  You have, afterall, failed to answer any of the questions I asked you.

Quote:
I certainly disagree with you when it comes to Christianity being good for society.  When you go to St. Lukes hospital or Methodist hospital, etc. . . it is Christian organizations that established these institutions of medicine.
I go to hospitals that are instituted privately and funded publicly.  I do not pay for my medical care and I do not rely on institutions established by Christians for my medical care. 

Quote:
Do some research.  I could list many other moral issues, but you would probably simply call me another name and not get what I am saying.
Please, don't make baseless assumptions about what I would do or my capacity to understand you.  If you wish to list things in society that could never have come about or are dependant on Christian morality, feel free.  Either your list will be full of blatant lies or it will be empty.  Let's see if I can point out the blatant lies!

Quote:
What "good" is the homosexual agenda doing for the U.S.
Oh, goodness.  You'll have to ask that question again, differently, without all of the implicite premises you've jam-packed into it.

Quote:
How do the displays of homosexual promiscuity in the street parades promote the good of this country?
Refer above and remove your prejudices about homosexuals and promicuity or become less of a sexual prude.

Quote:
How does their agenda promote the good of the country rather than the good of their voting block?
'Agenda' again!  If the good of a country is to be measured by how its laws promote the freedom and equality of all its members, then the attempts of minority groups throughout history to have equal rights promote the good of a country.  By any measure America is lagging in 'goodness'.

Quote:
What is amazing is that you vote and attempt to influence public policy in a way that agrees with your beliefs
My sexuality is not a belief on par with your faith-based belief.  It is an inescapably reality of being who I am and I expect my society to grant me equal treatment. My country has already decided to do the right thing.  I did not have to vote to influence public policy to get my equal rights.  The citizens of my country merely had to raise their voices loud enough.

Quote:
- even if it is in conflict with my beliefs - but then you are the one who calls me a bigot.
My existence as well as my beliefs are in conflict with you faith-based beliefs and others of your beliefs and you are a bigot.

Quote:
Exactly how are homosexuals discriminated against.
That was a question, right?  I cannot fathom how you do know know the answer.  For staters, and just to get you a general impression, you may wish to visit this wiki page and then refer to the links to main articles under section headers, read the multidude of citations and refer to them, exam state laws in your country, go to the FBI website and look up statistics on hate-crimes and finally exam the attitudes toward homosexuals of your fellow Christians and countrymen (and examine your own for good measure, bigot).

Quote:
It has been 35 years since the American Psychological Association removed it from the list of mental disorders
True.

Quote:
(again, Kelly wants me and my church put on the list).
No, she doesn't want your name on a list of mental disorders.

Quote:
Homosexuals have all the rights to employment, housing, health care, etc. . . But for some reason even when given the title civil union - with all the rights of marriage - they want the word marriage.  Again - why is that so important to the gay agenda?
I answered that question.

Quote:
Find me one group Christians, white, black, homosexuals, Muslims, Jews, etc that has not been persecuted or discriminated against.
I cannot, but that is not the purpose of this conversation.  Simply because other groups have been discriminated against does not mean that the discrimination (which you apparently don't see) against homosexuals is founded. 

Quote:
All of them face it today as well.
Again, that is beside the point.  It does not make discrimination okay that everyone can or does face it.

Quote:
That is the sinful nature of people.
Your belief that people discriminate because they're naturally sinful is an interesting case of projecting where it is not meaningless.

Quote:
I can tell you that I have felt discrimination simply because I am a minister.
Alright... 

Quote:
Welcome to the world
Thanks.

Quote:
and there are laws against all of it in our country but it still happens.
Actually, you're country still has laws that promote and uphold discrimination.  My country doesn't.  Yeah, it still happens, even here, but it is not condoned by the law.

Quote:
I will once again give you more respect than you gave me and I stand by my orginal post.
This is actually your first opportunity to show me respect, but I'm not convinced that you respect me at all.  I certainly don't respect you and I am unsurprised that you stand by what you wrote.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
For about 5 minutes I

For about 5 minutes I considered responding to Revlyles posts....but there's really no point. He says nothing of value and proves his bias with every other word. It's the same old, same old, very old.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

REVLyle
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
You do not understand this issue well enough to comment

I certainly did not believe that I would come here and be applauded, so believe me, your insults are nothing new.

I can also go out and copy/paste quotes of notable men and women to adhere to Christianity.  What is your point?  The analogy of me being a pig - Just curious - did you come down on that guy for that analogy or is it only when those who do not believe are called swine that offends you???  I thought we need to respect each other as human beings and we need to tolerate each other.  Again, you guys love to preach it - but you are slow to act on it.

Great you have copy/pasted a definition.  I stand behind what I said.  I have not given you a subjective definition.  I stated that to lust is to turn a person into an object.  That is true.  Obviously we are talking about sexual lust.  When you or I look at a girl and lust - here is what we are doing in actuality.

To use your copied def. we have an overwhelming desire for her in order to satisfy our sexual desire.  We do not care about here as a person.  We do not care how old she is, what her dreams and aspirations are in life.  What is her past and is she stable emotionally or even if she is too high or drunk to know what she is doing.  She is simply an object to satisfy our desire because we have an overwhelming craving for sex.  People who look at pornography do not know if the girl was high during the photo shoot and they certainly do not care if she was dead the next day.  She was just an object to satisfy a desire and they will choose another object the next day.  I was not incorrect in my def.  You just did not follow the logic.

You are exactly correct about restraining from lusting.  I refuse to take the second look.  I refused to look at women below their neck.  I refuse to allow my mind to wander to the "what could be."  I have a person who monitors my internet usage so that if I follow the temptation to go to site where lust can occur - they will confront me on the issue. 

That is how one might be tempted - but not fall into the sin of lust.

You claim that I simply practice self-denial.  For the person who wants to be healthy and not obese, are they also practicing self-denial when they do not eat food that is not good for them.  In reality, they are using empirical data to adjust their life to be healthier.  The same is true for Christians who practice abstaining from sex.  The empirical data for health concerning sex lines up with the plan for sex as put forth in the Bible.

Go to any website that has statistics concerning STDs.  The statistics on teenagers is that 1 in 4 teenage girls have one of the top 4 STDs.  So every guy out there is taking a chance when he has sex outside the confines of marriage.  So if you have a son or daughter, are you teaching them self-denial or are you as a loving parent teaching them about responsibility, consequences for their actions, and safety.    I am teaching my kids what the Bible says about sex and then I am letting the empirical data support what scripture states.  Let me give you just a couple of stats.

• Nineteen (19) million new STD infections occur each year, almost half of them among young people ages 15 to 24.
    Centers for Disease Control
  • Forty percent (40%) of older adolescents surveyed by the Kaiser Family Foundation incorrectly believe that the contraceptive “pill” and “shot” protect against STDs and HIV.
    2005 ASHA State of the Nation
  • Some young people, including those who had abstinence education, consider oral and anal sex to be abstinent behaviors and do not realize these behaviors present risks of STD transmission.
  • Adolescents believed they are tested during routine medical examinations for major STDs: chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV, hepatitis B, herpes, HPV, syphilis, and trichomoniasis.

I am now married.  Neither my wife nor I had to talk about past partners.  Neither she nor I had to be screened to make sure she nor I were infected with something.  Neither she nor I worry about ever getting a STD because we only have sex within the confines of marriage.  Believe me, there is no self-denial when one lives a healthier life and then having one's desires satisfied the way the Bible states is right.

Your view of the cross being worshipped:  I am a Christian and you are not based upon what you have written concerning your beliefs.  I know what I worship.  I know that the cross is a symbol, plain and simple.  Christians do not worship the cross, we worship the one who was hung upon it.  This part of the discussion is almost as stupid as your rubber and I'm glue.  The very verse that is quoted and is my tag line talks about faith in Christ - not a cross.  Your outside observation concerning the cross and your uninformed opinion does not make it correct.  If you attended a church where the cross was worshipped - it simply was not a Christian church no matter what was printed on the sign.

I have been a member of this website for over a year - and I have yet to see logic that has moved me from my faith.  I have argued my points and at times atheists have admitted their are wrong based upon data that has been presented to them.  I have been told that I am to prove that God exist and yet it is not incumbent upon you to prove that he does not exist.  Neither is possible.  I have heard many say, "prove that God exist and I will believe."  Prove that he does not exist and I will renounce my faith.  So while neither is going to happen in this lifetime - let us discuss truth - and let's see where the Bible stands.

I do not go into areas that I am not learned, but when it comes to moral behavior and ethics - that is an area that I have studied and I am ready to debate. 

Your last paragraph is absolutely ridiculous.  I am not high or drunk on God.  I am sitting in front of my computer not experiencing any euphoria.  Again, it is your opinion based upon your disagreement with what I believe - so your only alternative is to say I am delusional or drunk.  It simply shows your lack of ability to have an intelligent discussion.  Call me names and dismiss me is your only recourse.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

REVLyle
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Only have a minute

BO did not vote against the war.  We went to war in 2003.  BO was not even sworn into the senate until 2005.  Another lie by BO.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
REVLyle wrote:BO did not

REVLyle wrote:

BO did not vote against the war.  We went to war in 2003.  BO was not even sworn into the senate until 2005.  Another lie by BO.

Wrong you are again! WOW. 

Barack Obama was an Illinois senator from 1997-2004. At the time when the United States began the war on Iraq, the Illinois legislature brought forth a bill to the floor outlining several things, amongst them, what amounted to an approval of the declared war. Barack voted AGAINST THE WAR, period.

And again, once the war, Bush's war, was forced upon us, Barack voted in full support of funding for the troops.

So, unless you have some other faulty history you'd like to share.....

REVLyle
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Wonko wrote:REVLyle wrote:BO

Wonko wrote:

REVLyle wrote:

Barack Obama was an Illinois senator from 1997-2004. At the time when the United States began the war on Iraq, the Illinois legislature brought forth a bill to the floor outlining several things, amongst them, what amounted to an approval of the declared war. Barack voted AGAINST THE WAR, period.

And again, once the war, Bush's war, was forced upon us, Barack voted in full support of funding for the troops.

Thank you for providing my wife and I a great laugh at lunch time.  Are you nuts?  Who cares what he did as an Illinois senator.  He, nor the entire state senate had any power to effect any change.  Oh man.  Obama swings like a pro when he is on deck - but when his butt is on the line and his vote could actually count - he strikes out every time.  You just proved my argument - he does not walk the walk.

What is so funny about your post - Is that you actually believe that OB voted against the war because he voted against a bill that approved the war in a state senate.  What a joke.

Maybe you can find a city council that voted against the war now.  HA HA  Why not look for a PTA group as well.

He never voted against the war - he simply voted that he did not approve of it. 

Again - thanks for the laugh

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Thank you for

Quote:
Thank you for providing my wife and I a great laugh at lunch time.  Are you nuts?  Who cares what he did as an Illinois senator.

Did I read this right?  You were just proven conclusively wrong.  (By the way, I looked it up.  You could look it up too, if you wanted.  It's on the interwebs.)  Your response to being conclusively wrong is to say that the very point you were making was irrelevant?  What a crock of shit!

YOU: Barack did not vote against the war.

US: Barack most certainly did vote against the war.  Here's the proof.

YOU: What a stupid thing to say!  It doesn't matter if he voted against the war!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
REVLyle wrote:Again, you

REVLyle wrote:
Again, you guys love to preach it - but you are slow to act on it.

The projection and massive irony of this statement, coming from you, it hurts...

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
You also might want to look

You also might want to look at some of the stats you provided - as per the difference between the backwards states that use abstinence-only education and the states with at least some sense that teach realistically. Also between the US and Western European countries that are shocked by American puritanical views of sex.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
REVLyle wrote:Thank you for

REVLyle wrote:
Thank you for providing my wife and I a great laugh at lunch time.

No doubt you are not alone. I am glad you can still laugh, it's really healthy to do so. Ya know though, you really shouldn't laugh while you eat. You might choke that way.

REVLyle wrote:
Are you nuts?  Who cares what he did as an Illinois senator.

I suppose I could go your route and say that we shouldn't care about things McCain may or may not have done prior to reaching the U.S. Senate.... but I don't think that is a good idea with ANY candidate.

REVLyle wrote:
He, nor the entire state senate had any power to effect any change.  Oh man.

That is not the point we were discussing. The topic was regarding Obama's position to the war. You had previously stated that Obama vocally expressed an opposition to the Iraq war and then voted to fund the war. You stated this was contradictory. I later corrected you by stating that Obama did indeed vote against the war, but that once that 'battle was lost', he agreed the troops should have funding. No contradiction. Has nothing to do with where he was when he voted. 

REVLyle wrote:
Obama swings like a pro when he is on deck - but when his butt is on the line and his vote could actually count - he strikes out every time.

I don't know about your quaint baseball analogy. But somehow I doubt it's "every time". So you'll understand me I'll use that 'language' now just for you. Before you come out of the dugout turn your lights back on so you can actually find the field of play. Thanks ever so much.

REVLyle wrote:
You just proved my argument - he does not walk the walk.

To use now the "language" of one of my favorite movie characters....

Delusional completely, you are. Fear in you much, I sense. Walk, you speak of? Walk in giant circles, you do.

REVLyle wrote:

Wrong again. His vote of disapproval WAS a vote against the war and the overall bill. It may have been a vote that really didn't matter much to the U.S. Senate or government, but it was a vote against, in any case.

Oh, btw... feel free to respond to the rest of my post which you've ignored. Just as a reminder, it's POST # 51.   Who knows, if I have the time, I might even bother to reply back in return someday.

Heathensrule
Superfan
Heathensrule's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rev......

I have been waiting to respond to you.  I think everyone here is doing great job and I would only be repeating some of the things they said.  Reading your posts makes me really glad I am not a Christian and was never brought up a Christian.  Your tone is really ugly.  So self righteous, so superior.  When you speak of tolerance it really makes me sick.

"Prove that he does not exist and I will renounce my faith."  You are just a poser. 

You're a sucker for not experiencing all of "Gods" other fruits.  You should pray that you get divorced so you might be able to go get some strange.  I would be really bummed if I only got to have ONE sexual partner my whole life.  You may admire this but I really think you are a fool.  You have not lived life due to your self inflicted dogma.  You are truly the sucker.

"Truth" my ass......  Believing bullshit does not make it true.

If the Bible is "truth" this weekend you have to go stone everyone you see working on the Sabbath.

I have resisted replying to your inane posts because it won't  change you or anything.  You are not going to change our minds or 'save us' either.  Please go somewhere else and preach your lop sided hate and bigotry/intolerance.

Heathensrule!

Heathensrule!

Schobeleth
User is offlineOffline
Really awesome post

Really awesome post Heathensrule, I couldn't have put any of it better myself!

As for believing what the majority believes... If everyone said that up was down, would it make it true? No. If everyone said that if you wished really hard that your amputated leg would grow back would it happen? No. Why is it any different when it comes to adult versions of imaginary friends? Oh wait, they just never grew out of it and faced something called REALITY.

REVLyle
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
You are very mistaken

What is incredible about what you said, is that it is completely opposite of reality.  I am not righteous and I am not superior.  I am a sinner.  As the Apostle Paul wrote - There is nothing good in me, in regard to my flesh.  If you think telling me that I am nothing bothers me – you are mistaken.  I know that I am just a man, someone who messes up all the time.  There is nothing righteous or good about me.  The righteousness which makes you so sick to your stomach is the righteousness of Jesus Christ. 

You guys cannot stand to hear about sin.  You cannot stand to hear that something is true and therefore anything which opposes that truth is false.  That is the reason you have a homosexual that, for the most part, can only call me names.  They do not want to hear that their lifestyle is not right.  It would mean they would have to change.  The Bible is clear that “the gospel is the stench of death to those who are perishing."  So of course you do not want to hear what God’s Word says.  It is repugnant to you.

Think about what has been said about abortion.  No one here can argue that in order to avoid an STD and unwanted pregnancies – the only 100%, foolproof way to accomplish that is simply NOT to have sex outside of marriage.  That is a fact no matter what you think or believe.  That is truth, and you are correct – it doesn’t matter if you believe it or not.  BUT INSTEAD of teaching that AND acknowledging that is what the Bible says, what you suggest is tell people – “Do what you want to do and we will create ways of dealing with the consequences.”  You call people, like myself, who have chosen the responsible action and the 100% preventable way to avoid all the hurt, (broken hearts and broken promises) physical pain (abortions and STD’s) self-righteous and delusional.  If self-denial prevents others pain - then I will deny self.  My pleasure is not more important than their life, both physically and emotionally.     

You certainly do not want THE ONE who is superior to you, God, to tell you that your beliefs are wrong because in order to acknowledge that truth, you would have to repent – which means change your mind.  You would have to change your mind about your superiority.  You can’t stand that there is a higher power that is greater than you and it is God that has established right from wrong and truth from lie.  If I believe something is true, but it contradicts what God has said is true, then I believe a lie.  SO, I may want to tell a homosexual – your lifestyle is OK, but God’s Word states that homosexuality is wrong and therefore, I must change to be in line with truth.  The problem you have is that you are your own god.  You believe that one ought to experience sex however and whenever you want and yet TRUTH is that when your way is practiced – it leads to consequences that no one wants.

I realize that I am a sinner and I recognize the need for a savior.  You look at what you wrote.  You think that I should want a divorce.  According to what you wrote, I should think of what I want and do it regardless of the pain and hurt it will bring to others.  I have seen the pain that divorce has caused wives and husbands.  I have seen the kids who wonder why their mom and dad are not together.  I have seen the anger and broken hearts.  You think that I should pray for this pain and that I should want this for my wife and children.  What is wrong with you????  You call me self-righteous and yet your suggestion is one of the most selfish things I have ever seen.  I should go out and experience what you call fun and don’t worry about the pain it would bring to others, yet you believe that I preach hate.  You might want to rethink that one. 

Again, the Bible is very clear on this issue.  Sin is fun . . . for a season.  I had friends who loved to get drunk.  It was fun, but now they are alcoholics and they waist their money and lives on alcohol.  I had friends, who loved to sleep around, but now they are either stuck with an STD, or supporting a kid they did not want, or they are simply broken hearted.  I know people who have lied their whole life to get ahead, and now no one trust them and they have no true friends.  I could do this all day.  You suggest that I go out and live the “fun” life.  No thank you.  I have seen the consequences which come after the season is over. 

If the Bible is true this weekend I have to go stone everyone working on the Sabbath????  Please point out where Jesus Christ said or did this.  What a complete lack of understanding and a complete distortion of Scripture.  I have been asked to give references and statistics.  Please point me to 1 reputable evangelical Bible scholar who has written or believes this.  If there is some nut case that has twisted scripture to say this - I will produce 100's who will quickly and easily refute it with scripture, including myself.

As far as sending me somewhere else – who are you to tell me that I should leave.  I thought this was an open forum.  If you want to go where only atheist can post – there is a place for that.  I have broken no rules.  By the way, you asked for opinions that differed from yours.  Perhaps your thoughts of everyone agreeing with you were dashed upon the rocks – so now you simply want the voice of opposition to go away.  No wonder you support BO.

I have told the Good News of Jesus Christ to people much more hard hearted than you, and they have gotten saved.  I just continue to pray for you guys.  God is in the miracle business and he DOES change people’s hearts and minds.    

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
We don't care what the

We don't care what the BuyBull says - far as we're concerned you can take that ridiculous book of horrific fairy tales and shove it up your ass. Deal with the fact the Christian god does not exist, Jesus probably never did either and the natural world is almost certainly all that exists.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

REVLyle
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
no problem

MattShizzle wrote:

You also might want to look at some of the stats you provided - as per the difference between the backwards states that use abstinence-only education and the states with at least some sense that teach realistically. Also between the US and Western European countries that are shocked by American puritanical views of sex.

According to AVERT.org when looking at the statistics - Western Europe had a greater increase of STDs in every catagory except for gonorrhea.

As far as the states go.  Both southern and Northern states were listed in top 10 in new reports of STDs.  I don't know all of their teaching methods. . .  

REVLyle
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
REALLY

We don't care what the BuyBull says - far as we're concerned you can take that ridiculous book of horrific fairy tales and shove it up your ass. Deal with the fact the Christian god does not exist, Jesus probably never did either and the natural world is almost certainly all that exists.

That is probably why you call yourself an atheist.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Actually it's because I'm

Actually it's because I'm rational enough to see there is no evidence for any religin being true, and plenty of evidence for them being untrue. I would consider the Buybull signifigantly less useful than MAD magazine.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ahem!  We seem to have

Ahem!  We seem to have fettered out the real REVLyle.  Below, folks, is an excerpt from a delusional mind.

REVLyle wrote:
What is incredible about what you said, is that it is completely opposite of reality.  I am not righteous and I am not superior.  I am a sinner.  As the Apostle Paul wrote - There is nothing good in me, in regard to my flesh.  If you think telling me that I am nothing bothers me – you are mistaken.  I know that I am just a man, someone who messes up all the time.  There is nothing righteous or good about me.  The righteousness which makes you so sick to your stomach is the righteousness of Jesus Christ.
Is this supposed to actually mean something?

Quote:
You guys cannot stand to hear about sin.
I can stand to hear about it.  It just really bothers me, at least, to repeatedly hear about something that just doesn't exist.

Quote:
You cannot stand to hear that something is true and therefore anything which opposes that truth is false.
If something is true, whatever opposes that truth would necessarily be false.  If your still on about sin, it doesn't exist.

Quote:
That is the reason you have a homosexual that, for the most part, can only call me names.
Well, at least you admit that I can do other things too!  And I'm not 'a homosexual'.  I'm Thomathy.  You can use my name when you're referring to me. 

Quote:
They do not want to hear that their lifestyle is not right.  It would mean they would have to change.  The Bible is clear that “the gospel is the stench of death to those who are perishing."  So of course you do not want to hear what God’s Word says.  It is repugnant to you.
It is repugnant and so is your belief that my lifestyle is 'not right'.  It is repugnant, not because of some self-fulfilling prophecy about how non-believers will find your bible to have the 'stench of death', but because it and your belief reek of a delusional sense of moral superiority based on a myth contained within a book compiled by ignorant bronze aged desert-dwellers.

Quote:
Think about what has been said about abortion.  No one here can argue that in order to avoid an STD and unwanted pregnancies – the only 100%, foolproof way to accomplish that is simply NOT to have sex outside of marriage.
No one in a marriage has ever had an unwanted pregnancy?  Besides, simply because a disease can be spread through sex, does not mean it is the only way it can spread.  Also, human nature predicts that people will have sex outside of marriage.  They have, afterall, done so before the bible was written and continue to do so even now.

Quote:
That is a fact no matter what you think or believe.
I'm pretty sure I just showed you wrong. 

Quote:
That is truth, and you are correct – it doesn’t matter if you believe it or not.
But it's not the truth. 

Quote:
BUT INSTEAD of teaching that AND acknowledging that is what the Bible says, what you suggest is tell people – “Do what you want to do and we will create ways of dealing with the consequences.”
I don't think anyone suggests that approach to sex education.

Quote:
You call people, like myself, who have chosen the responsible action and the 100% preventable way to avoid all the hurt, (broken hearts and broken promises) physical pain (abortions and STD’s) self-righteous and delusional.
You are self-righteous and delusional.

Quote:
If self-denial prevents others pain - then I will deny self.  My pleasure is not more important than their life, both physically and emotionally.
What?    

Quote:
You certainly do not want THE ONE who is superior to you, God, to tell you that your beliefs are wrong because in order to acknowledge that truth, you would have to repent – which means change your mind.
No, in order for us to accept god and to list it, we'd have to have proof that it exists.  Do you have any proof that this god exists?  No?  Continue to believe based on faith then and leave the rest of us out of it.

Quote:
You would have to change your mind about your superiority.
Superiority to something that doesn't exist?  I believe we are all that, for we exist.  If that is the measure of superiority here.

Quote:
You can’t stand that there is a higher power that is greater than you and it is God that has established right from wrong and truth from lie.
Do you have proof for the latter assertion?  And as for the former, I feel nothing toward something which I believe does not exist.

Quote:
If I believe something is true, but it contradicts what God has said is true, then I believe a lie.
So, you're a bible literalist? 

Quote:
SO, I may want to tell a homosexual – your lifestyle is OK, but God’s Word states that homosexuality is wrong and therefore, I must change to be in line with truth.  The problem you have is that you are your own god.  You believe that one ought to experience sex however and whenever you want and yet TRUTH is that when your way is practiced – it leads to consequences that no one wants.
What consequences does homosexuality lead to that 'no one' wants?

Quote:
I realize that I am a sinner and I recognize the need for a savior.
You may as well have just admitted that you are delusional.

Quote:
You look at what you wrote.  You think that I should want a divorce.  According to what you wrote, I should think of what I want and do it regardless of the pain and hurt it will bring to others.
I'm sorry, can you provide a quote to support that anyone said anything of the sort? 

Quote:
I have seen the pain that divorce has caused wives and husbands.  I have seen the kids who wonder why their mom and dad are not together.  I have seen the anger and broken hearts.  You think that I should pray for this pain and that I should want this for my wife and children.  What is wrong with you????
Again, can you support that anyone has said this? 

Quote:
You call me self-righteous and yet your suggestion is one of the most selfish things I have ever seen.
What suggestion did anyone ever make here like that?  Provde the quote. 

Quote:
I should go out and experience what you call fun and don’t worry about the pain it would bring to others, yet you believe that I preach hate.  You might want to rethink that one.
Read above.  Oh, and you do, essentially, preach hate. 

Quote:
Again, the Bible is very clear on this issue.  Sin is fun . . . for a season.  I had friends who loved to get drunk.  It was fun, but now they are alcoholics and they waist their money and lives on alcohol.
Everyone who drinks alcohol becomes an alcoholic?  That is patantly untrue.

Quote:
I had friends, who loved to sleep around, but now they are either stuck with an STD, or supporting a kid they did not want, or they are simply broken hearted.
Everyone who has sex with multiple partners has an STD, an unwanted kid or a broken heart?  That is where you're going with that, right?  Otherwise, your example of your friends is not proof of those trends in the general population. 

Quote:
I know people who have lied their whole life to get ahead, and now no one trust them and they have no true friends.
It's true, liars are usually found out.

Quote:
I could do this all day.
I have no doubt! 

Quote:
You suggest that I go out and live the “fun” life.  No thank you.  I have seen the consequences which come after the season is over.
No one said you had to go have 'fun'.  It's okay to disagree.  Don't get worked up over it. 

Quote:
If the Bible is true this weekend I have to go stone everyone working on the Sabbath????  Please point out where Jesus Christ said or did this.  What a complete lack of understanding and a complete distortion of Scripture.  I have been asked to give references and statistics.  Please point me to 1 reputable evangelical Bible scholar who has written or believes this.  If there is some nut case that has twisted scripture to say this - I will produce 100's who will quickly and easily refute it with scripture, including myself.
There are a number of problems here.  A No True Scotsman fallacy, or at least it is implied.  A denial of a good half of the bible for... no reason?  And an appeal to authority, which happens to be where the no true scotsman fallacy lies.

Quote:
As far as sending me somewhere else – who are you to tell me that I should leave.  I thought this was an open forum.  If you want to go where only atheist can post – there is a place for that.  I have broken no rules.  By the way, you asked for opinions that differed from yours.  Perhaps your thoughts of everyone agreeing with you were dashed upon the rocks – so now you simply want the voice of opposition to go away.  No wonder you support BO.
You have broken no rules.  Your opinions certainly are different from others'.  Now, please, leave.  You obviously have nothing to add here.

Quote:
I have told the Good News of Jesus Christ to people much more hard hearted than you, and they have gotten saved.  I just continue to pray for you guys.  God is in the miracle business and he DOES change people’s hearts and minds.
I think this might be breaking the rules.  Not that I care, but you're not supposed to proselytize.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Heathensrule
Superfan
Heathensrule's picture
User is offlineOffline
YOU are Mistaken!

Everything you regurgitate from the Bible carries no weight with me so stop.  I don't believe in sin and if you want to go around thinking that everybody on the planet is wicked and a "sinner"  then it is your life you are losing.  I am a good decent person, I treat others as I want to be treated.  I am not "hard hearted" so I resent you implying that, you don't know me.  Continue to pray for me if you want but prayer is a complete waste of time. 

"Exo 31:15
Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death"

Ask and you shall receive!

As far as all of friends getting STD's have they ever heard of condoms? 

I don't drink or do drugs. 

I am married, to a woman, and I think gay people should have equal rights including marriage.

You may not directly preach hate but if you preach marriage is only between a man and a woman then you do.  Your adherents will not be tolerant of anybody that doesn't think like they do.  You should see all the Vote Yes on Prop 8 signs in my neighborhood.  I am embarrassed to live here.

You said that you would renounce your faith if anyone could prove god does not exist.  Get ready to burn your Bible!  If God is everything or else he is nothing and you live by the Bible from start to finish.  If you believe that Genesis is true and the word of god, then here is your proof that the god of the Bible is not there.

Tonight, if it is clear and you live in a rural area, if you don't then you will need a telescope.  Go look to the NNE at approximately 75 degrees at around 9pm you will find the Andromeda Galaxy.  This Galaxy is around 2.5 million light years away.  This means that the light you are seeing took 2.5 MILLION years to get to earth.  This makes the story in Genesis complete bullshit, hence, everything that comes after is bullshit too.  This can not be argued.  This is unequivocal proof.

Rev,  I did ask for rebuttals to my original post.  I respected some of your claims.  I was not pleased with your subsequent posts however.  Most of your comments are biased and pious.  The reason I suggested going somewhere else was that it seams like you could be using your time more wisely.  I am an Atheist.  Not an Onthefence.  Your dogmas mean nothing to me.  I will not be saved, I will not believe the ridiculous and the mere suggestion that I need to be "saved" pisses me off.  It is very offensive and with out using vile language, please never suggest to me again that you will pray for me or that I need to be "saved".   It is condescending and you might not think of it this way but you are placing yourself higher or more mighty or righteous than me.  You nor anybody is higher or more mighty than me, we are equal as humans.  If I believed in god I might say that it is more mighty than me.  Certainly there are powers greater than myself, (gravity, the ocean, the universe, the sun etc, etc, ..... ad infinitum) you are a Human.  Humans are just animals.  Apes with ego trips.

I'm done.

Heathensrule!

Heathensrule!

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
REVLyle wrote:The

REVLyle wrote:

The righteousness which makes you so sick to your stomach is the righteousness of Jesus Christ. 

"Righteousness" does not make me sick to my stomach.  The suffering that religion directly causes by replacing the discussion and analysis of right and wrong with the notion of "sin" does however.

REVLyle wrote:
They do not want to hear that their lifestyle is not right. 

No, I don't.  You don't know me.  You haven't had to make the choices I have had to make.  You have no idea whether or not my lifestyle is right.  The arrogance that christians display when assuming they do know does make me angry.  Focus on your own life.

REVLyle wrote:
So of course you do not want to hear what God’s Word says.  It is repugnant to you. 

True.  I'm just not into genocide, rape, and the subjugation of women.  They leave a bad taste in my mouth.  The bible is a horrible book that I absolutely will not allow my child to read until he is much older due to all the horrors contained within its pages.

REVLyle wrote:
Please point me to 1 reputable evangelical Bible scholar who has written or believes this.  If there is some nut case that has twisted scripture to say this - I will produce 100's who will quickly and easily refute it with scripture, including myself.

That's part of the fun of religion isn't it?  You can make your beliefs into whatever you want, just pull the right scriptures from a dusty old book to do so. 

Get over yourself.  You are not as special as you think you are.  No god hears and cares about your thoughts.  No god is following your every move and looking into your heart.  You do not have some eternal truth about life because you believe in god.  You are just another human being sharing this planet with many other human beings.  To think otherwise is to be delusional.

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah anniet

Yeah anniet

Neckbone (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
mostly diagree

1) While not a McCain follower, I can't really see how he as president would make us "more vulnerable to attack".  If he, as you say, is just an extension of W, then how exactly would we be more vulnerable? How many times have we been attacked since 9/11? Countries probably perceive McCain as ready to fight and they probably perceive BO as ready to negotiate.

2) I don't really care if gay people get married. However, using your reasoning that they are just different and want to be happy can also be applied to members of NAMBLA and to Warren Jeff's followers. There are plenty of real efforts to lower the age of consent and to legalize polygamy. Where do we draw the line? Can we or should we ever draw the line? Seem like we may be opening Pandora's box.

3) If we follow your colorful advice to mind our own business, how can we justify charging and jailing these people who kill their newborns? Again, there is an effort out there which is advocating delaying calling a baby alive until 3 days after birth just in case the parents want to change their mind. Kinda reminds me of BO not voting to protect babies who survive botched abortions.

4) Hey, I heard that Mars is experiencing global warming (www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1720024.ece). Must be that darn George Bush and his monster truck!

5) Totally disagree with you on the tax deal. I have a friend who is a dentist and he has a very busy office. So busy, that I have often asked him why he didn't bring on another dentist and expand. Well, he said that if he were to do that then he would get bumped up to another tax bracket and after it was all said and done, he would actually net less money than now. Currently he employs 5 people who he pays between $15 and $20 per hour. If he had an incentive to grow his business, he would likely double his staff and bring on another dentist who would earn around $75,000. Higher taxes discourage growth which results in less hiring and possible layoffs. Also, it's not the government's job to coerce me into helping you out just because I can afford it acording to you. It's up to you to help yourself out.

6) The war. I also would like to see our troops brought home. I don't want to see us leave the locals over there hanging though.

REVLyle
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Thank you for providing my wife and I a great laugh at lunch time.  Are you nuts?  Who cares what he did as an Illinois senator.

Did I read this right?  You were just proven conclusively wrong.  (By the way, I looked it up.  You could look it up too, if you wanted.  It's on the interwebs.)  Your response to being conclusively wrong is to say that the very point you were making was irrelevant?  What a crock of shit!

YOU: Barack did not vote against the war.

US: Barack most certainly did vote against the war.  Here's the proof.

YOU: What a stupid thing to say!  It doesn't matter if he voted against the war!

First of all this is what I stated in post #37 concerning BO.

I could at least respect the guy if he did what said, but his actions and his views seem to contradict one another.

I stand behind that statement.  BO was in a state senate and he did not vote against the war - he voted that he did not approve the war. 

Let me let you read the words of BO himself. 

I would have voted (emphasis mine) not to authorize the president to go to war given the facts as I saw them at that time. But, as I said, I wasn't there (emphasis mine) and what is absolutely clear as we move forward is that if we don't have a change in tone & a change in administration, I think we're going to have trouble making sure that our troops are secure and that we succeed in Iraq.

So I guess BO was proven conclusively wrong??????

There is no dbout that BO was not for the war - but he did not vote against the war, because he was not in the senate.  Again what I stated in post #58:

Obama swings like a pro when he is on deck - but when his butt is on the line and his vote could actually count - he strikes out every time.  You just proved my argument - he does not walk the walk.

So we have established that he was against the war.  He voted that he did not approve the war when it was meaningless, and then in 2005 - Bo gets in the senate and not one single time has he voted against funding the war.  He can say it was to support the troops because he knew that if he voted against funding the troops the GOP would have put that in every add, but at least he would have stood by his convictions.  He does not walk the walk.  He caves when his vote could have really counted.

Come on Hambydammit.  Let's get all the facts straight.  Call up BO and argue with him now.

REVLyle
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
relection on what you have written

Thomathy - I could not remember your screen name before - that is all.

I have no doubt that your worldview is completely different than mine.  Heck - almost everyone at this website has a different worldview than me.  Where you are very mistaken is that you and others here feel that I believe that I am superior.  As I explained before.  I struggle with sin everyday.  I have no other way to state it than this.  The sin I struggle with everyday is not the sin you struggle with. 

The Bible states that everyone is dead in their sin.  There is no such thing as one being deader than the next.  Again you don't believe this - but the reason I write this is that I do not look at other people and wonder why they sin - I know I am right there with them - it simply is other types of sin.  So the idea that I look down my nose at you is ridiculous.

You and everyone here says that there is no such thing as sin.  Maybe you guys have another word that you use when someone murders, lies, cheats, slanders, gossips, etc. . . Those are bad things that people do to other people.  Those are things that are imperfect in this world.  The word sin - is simply an archery term that means to miss the mark.  So when people do not live as God says to live - they miss the mark.  It doesn't matter if you believe in God or not - these sins happen in real life - what do you call them?  I guess what you call human nature, Christians call sinful nature.  Humans will satisfy their wants and desires and if that means hurting others, through sin - they will.  Even if you and I say - we are good people, we have participated in these sins.

I do not have the time to give a dissertation on the consequences of homosexuality.  For one, it is the breakdown of the family.  God (you would say nature) designed man and woman to come together to procreate and both the man and woman serve distinct roles in the family (I am not talking about a working dad and stay at home mom - my wife works).  Studies have shown many effects, but if I cite them you will simply say that the journal or website has an anti-gay agenda.  Even the website I cited you earlier stated that there is no consensus when it comes to WHY people are homosexual and you simply dismissed it.  It was not a Christian website and RRS even has links to it.  BUT when talking about the consequences of sin, can you tell me the consequences of a simple lie.  You cannot.  They are more than we can conceive, even when we think they may be little lies.

You wanted a quote concerning what I should do in my marriage - here you go from post #63:

You're a sucker for not experiencing all of "Gods" other fruits.  You should pray that you get divorced so you might be able to go get some strange.  I would be really bummed if I only got to have ONE sexual partner my whole life.  You may admire this but I really think you are a fool.  You have not lived life due to your self inflicted dogma.  You are truly the sucker.

Yes, I believe that people have pregnancies that they did not want or expect in marriage - but my point when dealing with teenagers is that teenagers are not ready emotionally nor financially when it comes to having a baby and we are not being honest when we do not present the only way to 100% avoid those problems is not to have sex.  Instead we play to the lowest common denominator - They are going to have sex so lets give them a condom and tell them it is safe sex when the reality is . . . it is safer - but it is not safe.  Do we really believe that teenagers are going to use them?  I was asked to give stats concerning Europe and the US since Europe is so "advanced" in their view of sexuality.  It didn't turn our the way Mattshizzle wanted so once again - the stats are dismissed. 

I never said that everyone who drinks alcohol becomes an alcoholic.  I wrote:  I had friends who loved to get drunk.  It was fun, but now they are alcoholics and they waist their money and lives on alcohol.  This is a true statement.  Another example is that I had a friend who was an alcoholic and he got drunk and killed himself with a handgun.  That is certainly a consequence of alcohol abuse which is also spoken against in the Bible.

Surely you are not suggesting that when people sleep around there are not hurt feelings, STD's, or unwanted children.  You are asking if anyone has ever slipped through the cracks - I don't believe so, but I cannot prove it.  Do I have to give you the numbers of abortions (unwanted pregnancies) over just the past year.  You won't believe them, but here it goes.

1.37 million a year in US and 42 million a year worldwide, 3,700 a day (one every 39 seconds) in the US and 73.8% to un-wed mothers in the US. - the highest rate is among teenage girls to 25 year old women.  But we are too busy telling them not to deny self - just have safe sex.  It doesn't seem to be too safe.  The stats are simply heart breaking.  There are no stats for broken hearts as ladies hear men say whatever they have to say in order to have sex.  And the stats on STD's are not good either.  The point is that the price for "sleeping around" is simply staggering.

You wrote:  No one said you had to go have 'fun'.  It's okay to disagree.  Don't get worked up over it. 

I stated that it was suggested that I pray for a divorce.  Again I refer to the above quote.

I know you will most likely disagree with 99% of what I have written.  I have not written hate.  I simply do not agree with you.  I have given you the "whys" of what I believe.  I have no ill will toward homosexuals.  I have no ill will toward people, even those who disagree with me.  As I stated before, I do not agree that homosexuals should be able to get married - that, I believe, is for a man and woman.  I do not answer to you and you do not answer to me.  I will so say no more on that issue since you believe that I am breaking the rules. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Personally I see nothing

Personally I see nothing wrong with anyone having sex with anyone they want as long as it is consensual (and that includes both participants being of proper age. ) I personally WOULD rather be in a committed relationship because meaningless sex is pretty much just empty - what's the point without love. I don't see the need for marriage even though I do want to someday be married. Definitely don't want kids though. However, I have no problem with someone who does want to just sleep around as long as they don't take advantage of those who don't. Before you try to say we atheists are just immoral, I had a married woman at work who was very attractive wanted sex from me and I wouldn't - she even punched me for not doing so. I consider the Buybull to be utterly ridiculous and am certain the Christian god does not exist. I see nothing wrong with allowing gay marriage whatsoever. The Christarded god is also against many other things that it would be stupid to be against - such as wearing 2 different fabrics at once.

There's nothing wrong with divorce. If a couple loves each other and everything is relatively good, of course it would be stupid to get divorced. But why stay together if they no longer do love each other? Especially in a really bad situation such as abuse.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
REVLyle wrote:Thomathy - I

REVLyle wrote:
Thomathy - I could not remember your screen name before - that is all.
Forgiven.

Quote:
Where you are very mistaken is that you and others here feel that I believe that I am superior.  As I explained before.  I struggle with sin everyday.  I have no other way to state it than this.  The sin I struggle with everyday is not the sin you struggle with.
Neither of us struggles with sin.  Sin doesn't exist.

Quote:
The Bible states that everyone is dead in their sin.  There is no such thing as one being deader than the next.  Again you don't believe this - but the reason I write this is that I do not look at other people and wonder why they sin - I know I am right there with them - it simply is other types of sin.  So the idea that I look down my nose at you is ridiculous.
This is laughable.

Quote:
You and everyone here says that there is no such thing as sin.  Maybe you guys have another word that you use when someone murders, lies, cheats, slanders, gossips, etc. . . Those are bad things that people do to other people.
No, we don't use a different word than sin to describe sin.  You are misapplying the word sin.  Sin means, and feel free to correct me if you believe differently, but this is common usage:

thefreedictionary wrote:

1. A transgression of a religious or moral law, especially when deliberate.2. Theology a. Deliberate disobedience to the known will of God.b. A condition of estrangement from God resulting from such disobedience.3. Something regarded as being shameful, deplorable, or utterly wrong.
Presumably for you, all those 'laws' by which you live are religious and moral at the same time.  Sin doesn't exist because your god most certainly does not exist.  Besides, I can hardly disobey laws set forth by a being that I don't believe even exists.

Quote:
Those are things that are imperfect in this world.  The word sin - is simply an archery term that means to miss the mark.
No.  Sin is a term that means what I posted above.  Of course, you're free to interpret it or define it however you want.  Murder is not something that is imperfect in this world, it is something that is, perhaps unfortunately, a reality. 

Quote:
So when people do not live as God says to live - they miss the mark.  It doesn't matter if you believe in God or not - these sins happen in real life - what do you call them?
I call them what they are.  I do not attribute the actions you describe as people simply acting against the law of a magical being. 

Quote:
I guess what you call human nature, Christians call sinful nature.
You do not know what human nature is. 

Quote:
Humans will satisfy their wants and desires and if that means hurting others, through sin - they will.
You're still talking about something without using the proper words.  It makes it difficult to understand you.  You'll have to explain what 'sin' is again, because you're applying it differently here than you have.

Quote:
Even if you and I say - we are good people, we have participated in these sins.
No, I haven't participated in any sins and very really neither have you, despite your beliefs.  There is no proof that your god exists and therefor there is no reason to believe that anything written down in a 2000 year old book is the divine word of such a being nor that it contains authority over what people should and should not do.  In fact, if it were an authority people would be doing absolutely horrendous things to each other.

Quote:
I do not have the time to give a dissertation on the consequences of homosexuality.
That is because you cannot.  It is not because you simply cannot begin to list the 'consequences' of homosexuality. 

Quote:
For one, it is the breakdown of the family.
What does this mean?  What is 'the family'?  You do know that what a family is is not confined to the narrow definition that I imagine you'll give me and that there is great variation in what many people will consider a family?  

Quote:
God (you would say nature) designed man and woman to come together to procreate and both the man and woman serve distinct roles in the family (I am not talking about a working dad and stay at home mom - my wife works).
I wouldn't say that.  People were not designed in any sense of the word.  Men and women do not have roles that are as distinct as you imagine.

Quote:
Studies have shown many effects, but if I cite them you will simply say that the journal or website has an anti-gay agenda.
Cite the studies.  Do not suppose that you know how I will react.  Better yet, why don't you just list the consequences the studies supposedly show?

Quote:
Even the website I cited you earlier stated that there is no consensus when it comes to WHY people are homosexual and you simply dismissed it.
Actually, I dismissed your statement that there is no consensus on whether or not homosexuality is a choice.  It is most certainly not a choice.  I believe I wrote a whole paragraph on how it is, however, not certain what factors contribute to homosexuality.  I believe I intimated that there are many, overlapping, factors that contribute to human sexuality.  You understand, I hope, that homosexuality is just a facet of human sexuality -something that runs the gambit from exclusive heterosexuality to exclusive homosexuality and everything inbetween and with out?

Quote:
BUT when talking about the consequences of sin, can you tell me the consequences of a simple lie.  You cannot.  They are more than we can conceive, even when we think they may be little lies.
Actually, no one can conceivably list the consequences of a single action into infinity.  The consequences of a single action, even a lie, however, can be predicted with very good, perhaps perfect, accuracy to a certain point.  I'm sure you can think of at least some of the consequences of a 'simple lie'?  Or are you going to play stupid?

REVLyle wrote:
Post #63 wrote:
You wanted a quote concerning what I should do in my marriage - here you go from post #63:
Very well.  I don't think you should get a divorce to go 'get some strange' (I'm actually not at all familiar with that one).  I think that person is mistaken.  I don't think you're a fool, but you are someone who has, perhaps, missed out on some of life's experiences because of your personal unfounded beliefs.

Quote:
Yes, I believe that people have pregnancies that they did not want or expect in marriage - but my point when dealing with teenagers is that teenagers are not ready emotionally nor financially when it comes to having a baby
I agree.  They often are not.  But what is your point?

Quote:
and we are not being honest when we do not present the only way to 100% avoid those problems is not to have sex.
But, in your country, that is what is largely taught instead of sex education.  Oddly, in the first world, your country has the largest number of Christians, the largest number of people whose sex education consisted of 'just don't do it' and the largest number of teen pregnancies.  That is odd, isn't it? 

Quote:
Instead we play to the lowest common denominator - They are going to have sex so lets give them a condom and tell them it is safe sex when the reality is . . . it is safer - but it is not safe.
So, you've never heard of the phrase, 'Use a condom, practice safer sex?'   

Quote:
Do we really believe that teenagers are going to use them?
Actually, when taught properly about sex and condom use teenagers actually do use condoms more often than not.

Quote:
I was asked to give stats concerning Europe and the US since Europe is so "advanced" in their view of sexuality.  It didn't turn our the way Mattshizzle wanted so once again - the stats are dismissed.
What statistics did you cite?  America has the largest number of teen pregnancies in the first world.  That would seem to stem from a very irresponsible policy of 'just don't do it' sex education.

Quote:
I never said that everyone who drinks alcohol becomes an alcoholic.  I wrote:  I had friends who loved to get drunk.  It was fun, but now they are alcoholics and they waist their money and lives on alcohol.  This is a true statement.  Another example is that I had a friend who was an alcoholic and he got drunk and killed himself with a handgun.  That is certainly a consequence of alcohol abuse which is also spoken against in the Bible.
Yes, but what are you trying to prove by citing these examples of your alcoholic friends?  If not everyone who drinks, and the rates of alcoholism are low compared to the number of drinkers, is an alcoholic then you're just citing their sad stories because...?  I'm well aware that there are alcoholics, but if you're trying to make an argument you need to have a conclusion.  If you are just citing examples, then it is pointless.

Quote:
Surely you are not suggesting that when people sleep around there are not hurt feelings, STD's, or unwanted children.
You're right, I'm not suggesting that.  But what you write, again, are two premises that would form the beginning of an argument, but you have no conclusion but the implied one.

REVLyle wrote:
I had friends, who loved to sleep around, but now they are either stuck with an STD, or supporting a kid they did not want, or they are simply broken hearted.
That's whay you wrote.  The fact is that not everyone who sleeps around has either a sexually transmitted infection or an unwanted chid.  If you are simply writing examples of things to write examples of things and are not trying to make an implicite argument, you are not being particularly careful with your language.  Your example is meaningless conpared to the larger picture.

Quote:
You are asking if anyone has ever slipped through the cracks - I don't believe so, but I cannot prove it.
What does this mean?  I never asked that question.

Quote:
Do I have to give you the numbers of abortions (unwanted pregnancies) over just the past year.  You won't believe them, but here it goes.
In fact those statistics are just about right, if a little on the low side.  1.37 million abortions in a female population of 149.1 million?  73.8% of which 1.37 million abortions were to unwed mothers?  You cannot justifiably say that simply because the women were unwed that they were sleeping around.  You cannot simply imply that correlation.  I also know what the statistics for the incidence of sexually transmitted infections.  Approximately 1/3 of the population of the US has had an STI at any given time.  Any one person in two will have an STI at least once in their life.  The rates of infection are higher in people <25.  But, I have a question: Did you have an argument to make with these statistics?

You wrote:  No one said you had to go have 'fun'.  It's okay to disagree.  Don't get worked up over it. 

Quote:
I stated that it was suggested that I pray for a divorce.  Again I refer to the above quote.
Well, since praying doesn't actually get anything done, I'm sure you're safe to pray fro a divorce all you want and still not get one.

Quote:
I know you will most likely disagree with 99% of what I have written.
I think it's a lower percentage than that.  I can't disagree with you if you're not making an argument and if you make no sense. 

Quote:
I have not written hate.  I simply do not agree with you.  I have given you the "whys" of what I believe.
I don't believe you've written hate here.  I know you disagree with me.  I do know that you have explained nothing about why you believe what you do. 

Quote:
I have no ill will toward homosexuals.
Then I find your position on homosexuals to be rather contrary.

Quote:
I have no ill will toward people, even those who disagree with me.  As I stated before, I do not agree that homosexuals should be able to get married - that, I believe, is for a man and woman.  I do not answer to you and you do not answer to me.  I will so say no more on that issue since you believe that I am breaking the rules. 
Breaking what rules?  You can say what you want about homosexuals and marriage.  You are, of course, wrong and I'll continue to tell you so.  Perhaps it is best, if you wish to continue any discussion, to leave be that particular contention.

BigUniverse wrote,

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
We are the rules , we are

We are the rules, we are GOD, each of us, equally part of the whole. Unfortunatley most are "blind" to knowing this first law.

REVLyle
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Just a response

You asked that I explain what "sin" is again.  Before I write anything - I am aware that you do not believe in God.  I am writing explaining my worldview when it comes to sin therefore; it does require that I mention God.

Sin does come from an archery term.  It was used to describe the distance from the bulls eye to the point where the arrow actually hit.  This distance was called the "sin-mark."

The Greek word is hamartano which means:

1) to be without a share in

2) to miss the mark

3) to err, be mistaken

4) to miss or wander from the path of uprightness and honour, to do or go wrong

5) to wander from the law of God, violate God's law, sin

You will notice that "to wander from the law of God" is last.  The term sin-mark predates Christianity.

So how does a Christian view sin?????  God is perfect - man is not.  When we sin - we miss the mark of perfection.  If you are like me, you have often heard, "I'm not perfect."  The reality is that this is a very true statement.  When God says to us:  Do not lie, steal, murder, covet . . . And then we do those things - all of us have - we are missing the mark of perfection - we have sinned.

So, when atheists say they do not believe in sin - what they are saying (I believe) is that since there is no standard set by God (perfection) then how could they have missed the mark and/or sinned.

What I see here is relativism.  For instance:  Mattshizzle wrote that he believes that any one should be able to have sex with anyone EXCEPT they must be of proper age and they should not take advantage of others who do not want to sleep around.  So in his mind, to have sex with a young girl (what age would this be?????) or to be a "player" is wrong.  (Mattshizzle can correct me if I am misrepresenting him)  So some people think that sex with a 10 year old is OK while others think she should be at least 13, or 16, or even 18.  The point is that this is all subjective.  Who is right?  Who is wrong?  AND, if the answer is no one then you have total chaos.  One might say, "What is right is simply what the majority comes to a consensus on."  Well, then that is might makes right.  One might say, "What is right is what benefits society."  Well, if that is true then why do we have societies that do not agree on issues.  We are right back to relativism.   

If I drew two lines and declared, "this is 1 yard, between these two lines" you could then take a yard stick, the standard, and measure if the lines were indeed 1 yard or if they missed the mark.  You and I do not get to define 1 yard based upon our views, customs, lineage, feelings . . .  The same is true for morality.  God has set the standard.  Christians do not see it as subjective.

So, since I have missed the mark, I am a sinner.  You have written that you do not believe that sin exists.  So when a person lies to you.  When someone cheats you out of money.  When someone slanders you, etc. . . are they wrong?  IF THEY ARE WRONG - by what standard are you declaring them wrong?  If it is by your idea of right and wrong, then once again it is subjective.  If there is NO STANDARD and it is all subjective - then you and I, when someone does us "wrong," have no claim because their standard of right and wrong must simply be different than ours.

Lastly, why is it that when someone is lied to or cheated - their first response is, "That is not fair."  In reality they are saying - "That is not right."  From what standard are they basing fairness or rightness?  Again, if it is subjective - that statement cannot stand.

You wrote:  Oddly, in the first world, your country has the largest number of Christians, the largest number of people whose sex education consisted of 'just don't do it' and the largest number of teen pregnancies.  That is odd, isn't it?

First of all, I certainly do not believe worldly stats when it comes to Christianity.  Again, I am not the standard, but if you ask people, "Are you a Christian" many will respond yes without even knowing what that means.  Some believe that being a Christian simply means you believe in God.  The latest stat I saw said that 85% of Americans say they are Christians.  There is no way that is correct. 

The fact is that many states do teach abstinence (about 1/2), but they also teach about "safe" sex.  I am not sure about any state that ONLY teaches abstinence.  Secondly, whereas teen pregnancies are more in the US - STDS are greater in Europe.  I am not sure that either statistic presents the argument that irresponsible sex is not going to happen due to teaching.  Will some teenagers have sex no matter what they are taught - YES, but the facts are that we should teach the benefits of not having sex rather than simply telling them how to protect when they have sex.  We should not treat the WHEN as a given.  Lastly, the teen pregnancy rate began to rise in the 60's which was during the sexual revolution in the US.  You know - when we were enlightened.

If you go to http://www.avert.org/stdstatisticsworldwide.htm you will see that in almost every category - Europe was higher in STDS than America.  Those are the stats that were referenced to Matshizzle. 

Why did I cite stories of alcoholism and consequences of sleeping around????  I was told in one post that I am simply practicing self-denial and not enjoying life.  My example is that if one sees the benefit of good food and exercise for being healthy - are they practicing self-denial or are they simply choosing to be healthy.  The reason that I told these stories is that one cannot look at drunkenness and sex outside as marriage as just FUN (the same is true for other sins).  There really are people who pay a high price for these activities.  Do all drinkers become alcoholics - no.  Do all who sleep around have either a broken heart, STD, or get pregnant - we simply cannot know.  I have simply looked at what scripture has had to say about these and other issues AND I have looked at the price SOME people have paid and chosen to live more healthy in regards to those things.

I believe you asked if people have slept around without getting a broken heart, STD, or unwanted pregnancy.  That is what I meant by slipping through the cracks.  We simply do not know.

In regards to your question about "the family."  I think this falls under the idea of relativism again.  I am sure you know my definition.  It is father, mother, and children.  Does a single parent and children make up a family when there is a divorce or death . . . sure.  Of course, I am not talking about extended family at this time.  If we go the way of subjectivity . . . it is defined by almost anything.  You can give me your definition, but the next person has a right to disagree and his definition is just as right as yours. 

My statistics on abortions is simply an indictment on sexual permissiveness.  You may be able to make the claim that I cannot infer that this is due to sleeping around, but the stats certainly point in that direction.  Let's look at the numbers.

The average age of marriage for women is 26 in the USA.  53.2% of all abortions in the US happen to women under 25.  73.8% of all the abortions in the US happen to single women.  Surely you are not suggesting that the majority of these women are sleeping with the same man, getting pregnant over and over again, and then having abortions.

As far as breaking the rules . . . you wrote:  I think this might be breaking the rules.  Not that I care, but you're not supposed to proselytize.

I hope this clears up any questions that you had. and explains why I believe what I believe as far as morality.  I do not think I did any proselytizing.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.thedailyshow.com/v

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
REVLyle wrote:about what he

REVLyle wrote:
about what he believes sin is.

Quote:
So when a person lies to you.  When someone cheats you out of money.  When someone slanders you, etc. . . are they wrong?  IF THEY ARE WRONG - by what standard are you declaring them wrong?  If it is by your idea of right and wrong, then once again it is subjective.  If there is NO STANDARD and it is all subjective - then you and I, when someone does us "wrong," have no claim because their standard of right and wrong must simply be different than ours.
(I am not a sociobiologist and so I defer to any authority on the sociobiology of human social interaction and morals as well as game theory if anything I write is incorrect.)  Fail.  We all live within a society.  What is right and what is wrong is, and has historically been, decided by what society feels is right and wrong and these standards are largely based in practice upon our otherwise instinctual ability to form functioning societies.  These things have, for most of recorded history, been codified in laws and over time these laws have changed along with the societies that adhere to them.  Very simply, there is a standard by which a majority of humans live and that standard is not doing that which will get you put without of society.  Your belief that your god is necessary for there to be a standard by which humans live is ludicrous.  Before you bible was written and before there was writing and before our ancestors had the linguistic ability that we currently do, people refrained, largely, from stealing and murdering simply because these actions are not conducive to a functioning society and have negative consequences for the purpotrator.

That said, our morals are, and arguably must be, relative.  If you cannot think of an instance where you would condone stealing or murder, you are either lying or suffer from an extreme lack of imagination.  Further, if your god endowed us with an objective moral sense, or gave us an objective moral guideline, I would expect that many of the actions carried out by people in the bible and ordered by your god would still be carried out today, but this is not the case and many of those very actions would be appalling to anyone alive today.

Quote:
Lastly, why is it that when someone is lied to or cheated - their first response is, "That is not fair."  In reality they are saying - "That is not right."  From what standard are they basing fairness or rightness?  Again, if it is subjective - that statement cannot stand.
But, you're wrong.

Quote:
First of all, I certainly do not believe worldly stats when it comes to Christianity.  [...] The latest stat I saw said that 85% of Americans say they are Christians.  There is no way that is correct.
I challenge you to prove that that is not correct without commiting a no true scotsman fallacy.

Quote:
The fact is that many states do teach abstinence (about 1/2), but they also teach about "safe" sex.  I am not sure about any state that ONLY teaches abstinence.  Secondly, whereas teen pregnancies are more in the US - STDS are greater in Europe.  I am not sure that either statistic presents the argument that irresponsible sex is not going to happen due to teaching.  Will some teenagers have sex no matter what they are taught - YES, but the facts are that we should teach the benefits of not having sex rather than simply telling them how to protect when they have sex.  We should not treat the WHEN as a given.  Lastly, the teen pregnancy rate began to rise in the 60's which was during the sexual revolution in the US.  You know - when we were enlightened.
Did you have a point to make?

Quote:
If you go to http://www.avert.org/stdstatisticsworldwide.htm you will see that in almost every category - Europe was higher in STDS than America.  Those are the stats that were referenced to Matshizzle.
I've been there.  Is there a point you're making?

Quote:
Do all who sleep around have either a broken heart, STD, or get pregnant - we simply cannot know.
You were being honest until you got here.  We can know how many people have an STD.  We can know how many people get pregnant.  We can know both with much certainty.  We may not be able to judge at all the emotional effects of failed romance.  -But, did you have a point to make? 

Quote:
I have simply looked at what scripture has had to say about these and other issues AND I have looked at the price SOME people have paid and chosen to live more healthy in regards to those things.
But you can live healthfully and enjoy alcohol and sex with multiple partners.  You have chosen to live more healthfully than the people in your stories, but you could have done so in any number of ways.  It's fine that your bible has partly influenced you decision there.

Quote:
I believe you asked if people have slept around without getting a broken heart, STD, or unwanted pregnancy.  That is what I meant by slipping through the cracks.  We simply do not know.
What?  You make it seem as though the vast majority of people who have some level of permiscuise sex have either a broken heart, an STD or an unwanted pregnancy.  That's not true by any measure and you're quite dishonest for having presented it like that.

Quote:
In regards to your question about "the family."  I think this falls under the idea of relativism again.  I am sure you know my definition.  It is father, mother, and children.  Does a single parent and children make up a family when there is a divorce or death . . . sure.  Of course, I am not talking about extended family at this time.  If we go the way of subjectivity . . . it is defined by almost anything.  You can give me your definition, but the next person has a right to disagree and his definition is just as right as yours.
Where you got the idea that simply because something is subjective means that all the conclusions drawn are equal, I do not know, but you must drop that idea because it is not accurate.  The family has never only been the 'traditional' one you imagine.  People, for all the time that there have been people, have lived in a vast array of varied situations which constitute a 'family'.  That's not subjective, that's reality.

Quote:
My statistics on abortions is simply an indictment on sexual permissiveness. [Statistics]
You're right, I'm not.  I'm not comfortable drawing any conclusions from that data except what it presents itself.  Now, since you've alluded to your views on abortion we'll go from there.  Essentially, you are presenting these numbers and declaring that most of the abortions here should never have occurred because you believe abortions as practiced are wrong.  If that's what you mean to have written, just write it.  I agree, but for wholly different reasons (which have nothing to do with a belief that abortion should not be practiced as it is).

Quote:
As far as breaking the rules . . . you wrote:  I think this might be breaking the rules.  Not that I care, but you're not supposed to proselytize.
I did write that (can you use the quote function?).  I thought you were proselytizing.

Quote:
I hope this clears up any questions that you had. and explains why I believe what I believe as far as morality.
Far from it, but it'll do.

Quote:
I do not think I did any proselytizing.
Very well.

BigUniverse wrote,

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
REVLyle wrote:Wonko

REVLyle wrote:

Wonko wrote:

REVLyle wrote:

Thank you for providing my wife and I a great laugh at lunch time.  Are you nuts?  Who cares what he did as an Illinois senator.  He, nor the entire state senate had any power to effect any change.  Oh man.  Obama swings like a pro when he is on deck - but when his butt is on the line and his vote could actually count - he strikes out every time.  You just proved my argument - he does not walk the walk.

What is so funny about your post - Is that you actually believe that OB voted against the war because he voted against a bill that approved the war in a state senate.  What a joke.

Maybe you can find a city council that voted against the war now.  HA HA  Why not look for a PTA group as well.

Again - thanks for the laugh

This has got to get an award for the greatest example of self ownage all month. Maybe even all year. Half the people in the library around me are falling over, and we're all Canadians. Not only is Revlyle stupid enough to believe in god, he doesn't even know how his own government works while foreigners do. *Shakes head in disbelief*

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Half the people

Vastet wrote:

Half the people in the library around me are falling over, and we're all Canadians. Not only is Revlyle stupid enough to believe in god, he doesn't even know how his own government works while foreigners do. *Shakes head in disbelief*

How do all you foreigners know more about how this country works than those who live here?  Any thoughts of emmigration?  Less snow and ice here! 

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Two problems. 1: We don't

Two problems.
1: We don't actually get much more snow and ice than most of the US. Those parts that get significantly less are too damn hot. Sticking out tongue
2: There aren't enough of us to make a difference. Sad

Heathensrule
Superfan
Heathensrule's picture
User is offlineOffline
Today is the day

Well........  Let's see if America is indeed ready for change.  I casted my vote.