Man receives double arm transplant: Is doing well.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Man receives double arm transplant: Is doing well.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Amazing.  I was thinking

Amazing.  I was thinking about the psychological impact the whol time, so it was good to read that he's getting counselling.  I'm interested in how it will go in the long term.  There's always a chance of rejection and I wonder how much mobility and dexterity he'll get out of the hands in the end.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Amazing.  BTW, this

Amazing.  BTW, this whole scenario reminds me of a movie with *Jeff Fahey ( *he was Jobe in "Lawn Mower Man" )  called "Body Parts" where Fahey portays a man whose arm was amputated in a car accident and is then replaced with an arm that once belonged to a psychotic serial killer.  He takes on the personality of the killer, yadda, yadda.....etc.  Good movie though.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's amazing! I hope his

That's amazing! I hope his body doesn't reject them.

...Erm. Science question:

Why does our immune system sometimes reject donar organs? Are there reliable ways of predicting whether or not dnated tissue will likely be rejected? Do our bodies reject prosthetic limbs / organs as well? How do we get around that?

(Okay. So it was more like ten questions. Sticking out tongue )

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Why does our immune

Quote:

Why does our immune system sometimes reject donar organs?

The immune system will always reject a donor organ unless supressed. Because they (donar organs) are foreign objects, the cell recognizes them as invaders same as they would with a pathogen. What you've really got to understand is that the immune system is highly fine tuned and it is highly destructive. As such, it must have a very precise mechanism for seperating cells that should be there, and those that should not. Should this system of distinguishing mallfunction, the destructive power of the immune system is unleashed on the body, the consequences take the form of autoimmune disorders such as Lupus or Addison's disease. The system is too fine to allow any other distinguishing. If the cells are not recognized as the body's own, they will be recognized and tagged for destruction. The primary (in jawed vertebrae) form of distinguishing takes the form of the expression of the UDR (Ulta-gene dense region) Major Histocompatibility complex which expresses what are commonly called self and non-self antigens on the surface of every cell (that is, the proteins of MHC genes must be part of the proteome of a cell in a jawed vertebrae). Obviously, the foreign cells will not display the correct self-antigens.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism