Calling out Caposkia

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15762
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Calling out Caposkia

Ok, you want  to convince me that Jesus is the one true son of god?

Then, without deviating on long diatribes stick strictly to the following two questions. Simple yes or no will suffice.

Question 1:

Do you have a  model that is repeatable, testable and falsifiable outside the bible, that shows HOW a disimbodied being can get a 9 to 14 year old girl pregnant?

 

Question 2:

Do you have a  model that is repeatable, testable and falsifiable outside the bible that shows HOW a human who has been dead for 3 days can survive rigor mortis?

YES OR NO.

Show your body of work OUTSIDE THE BIBLE, that demonstrates that these claims are possible.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


scole665
Posts: 67
Joined: 2008-06-27
User is offlineOffline
God works in mysterious ways

 That's the only possible answer. . . She's one crazy azz god.


WillieBop
Theist
Posts: 61
Joined: 2007-03-19
User is offlineOffline
Actually, I'll give Caposkie

Actually, I'll give Caposkie a hint.  What he needs to do is try and get you to reject materialistic naturalism.  That was my first and major step in rejecting my atheism.


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Rofl. Sure, throw away your

Rofl. Sure, throw away your perspective of reality, your knowledge of what is, and thiesm becomes quite edible I'm sure.

Fortunately, most of us are not capable of disassociating ourselves from ourselves in such a manner.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15762
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
WillieBop wrote:Actually,

WillieBop wrote:

Actually, I'll give Caposkie a hint.  What he needs to do is try and get you to reject materialistic naturalism.  That was my first and major step in rejecting my atheism.

Translation:

"Magic exists by default that we can't explain everything."

No thanks. I know a fart will never produce coal or mittens, nor will bad logic ever be a good cumpass.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15762
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Rofl. Sure,

Vastet wrote:

Rofl. Sure, throw away your perspective of reality, your knowledge of what is, and thiesm becomes quite edible I'm sure.

Fortunately, most of us are not capable of disassociating ourselves from ourselves in such a manner.

Hold on there. Humans, including atheists are capable of anything. Which puts us all in the same species. However, all the ones who claim to have once been "atheists" I have run into either don't understand what the word means because they have been sold a theist definition, or they have succumb to a subconcious emotional appeal, or event, or series of events.

The human brain is capable of suspending reason, on any given issue, because of the dynamics of electrochemical activity, psychology and biology and environmental dynamics.

This response from this theist only proves that humans are capable of switching positions, just as they are capable of building a house, or feeding their child, or not building a house, or not feeding their child.

We as a species are capable of both good and bad and we are capable of changing our positions.

I think a better argument would be that "atheists" that are more aware of the arguments and human psychology and human behavior, are less likely to switch their positions.

What this former "atheist" doesn't understand, is that the argument "I once was, only means "I once was", just like we might argue "I once was".

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Cap, I have just a small

Cap, I have just a small excercize for you, based on a real-life circumstance from this evening:

 

You're just getting out of class in a city you're not yet very familiar with, and want to get home for the evening. You travel by bus, and you live in a part of town called 'Three Hills'. Unfortunately, you forgot halfway through the day which bus will take you back to Three Hills; of course, having the sensibility to ask a classmate earlier, you get told that, 'It's definately the number 20 you want to take home.'

When you get to the bus stop, though, you notice that the sign says '20 - Richmont', and you decide to double-check your information. Asking two people at the stop, both agree that this is not a route that will get you back to Three Hills. One of them even has a transit schedule & map, and shows you that you should be waiting at stop 13 instead - right across the street. Going across the street, you see that the sign for route 13 says '13 - Three Hills'. Asking the one other person here if this bus takes you to Three Hills, they confirm that - yes - this is the bus you want to take.

What do you do at this point? What conclusion are you most likely to make? How would you make it?

 

Now, before you answer, let's change the scenario just a little bit: let's say that everything is the same, but this time you have no information at all. You did not ask during class, there are no people at the stops and there are no obvious pieces of data on the bus stop signs.

What do you do? Do you just arbitrarily assume that the 20 must take you home, because it's the first stop you found? Why or why not?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Vastet

Brian37 wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Rofl. Sure, throw away your perspective of reality, your knowledge of what is, and thiesm becomes quite edible I'm sure.

Fortunately, most of us are not capable of disassociating ourselves from ourselves in such a manner.

Hold on there. Humans, including atheists are capable of anything. Which puts us all in the same species. However, all the ones who claim to have once been "atheists" I have run into either don't understand what the word means because they have been sold a theist definition, or they have succumb to a subconcious emotional appeal, or event, or series of events.

The human brain is capable of suspending reason, on any given issue, because of the dynamics of electrochemical activity, psychology and biology and environmental dynamics.

This response from this theist only proves that humans are capable of switching positions, just as they are capable of building a house, or feeding their child, or not building a house, or not feeding their child.

We as a species are capable of both good and bad and we are capable of changing our positions.

I think a better argument would be that "atheists" that are more aware of the arguments and human psychology and human behavior, are less likely to switch their positions.

What this former "atheist" doesn't understand, is that the argument "I once was, only means "I once was", just like we might argue "I once was".

 

The fault is mine, but you misunderstood my use of the term "we". I was applying it to our species, not to atheists. And regardless of how adaptable the human mind is, it rarely throws out everything it has accepted as fact in favour of a new theology or world view. Otherwise, conversions would be simplistic and exceptionally common. People wouldn't stay in one religion their whole lives, they would experience 30 or 40 as their minds wandered. My experience suggests that the majority will defend their notions unto the death, regardless of evidence presented to the contrary.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
Posts: 440
Joined: 2008-02-07
User is offlineOffline
WillieBop wrote:Actually,

WillieBop wrote:

Actually, I'll give Caposkie a hint.  What he needs to do is try and get you to reject materialistic naturalism.  That was my first and major step in rejecting my atheism.

How can you reject atheism? By default we are all atheists as a matter of degree. It's not until we are indoctrinated to believe that people become theists. If you were born in India you would be a hindu or possibly buddhist or muslim. If you were born in Iran you would be a shia muslim most likely. We only reject one more than you do.

If Caposkia wants to show me god's power it's easy. Ask god to tell him my real name or where I live for that matter. If you claim god talks to you or gives you things through prayer, then prove it. Is that too much to ask? Until any believer in any god can wow me with something other than unsubstantiated BS I think I will continue to be skeptical of magical sky daddy claims.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS


WillieBop
Theist
Posts: 61
Joined: 2007-03-19
User is offlineOffline
Cali_Athiest2 wrote:If

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

If Caposkia wants to show me god's power it's easy. Ask god to tell him my real name or where I live for that matter. If you claim god talks to you or gives you things through prayer, then prove it. Is that too much to ask? Until any believer in any god can wow me with something other than unsubstantiated BS I think I will continue to be skeptical of magical sky daddy claims.

My statement was in relation to Brian who is clearly a materialistic naturalist.  Since you appearently aren't I am not sure why you responded.


Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
Posts: 440
Joined: 2008-02-07
User is offlineOffline
WillieBop

WillieBop wrote:

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

If Caposkia wants to show me god's power it's easy. Ask god to tell him my real name or where I live for that matter. If you claim god talks to you or gives you things through prayer, then prove it. Is that too much to ask? Until any believer in any god can wow me with something other than unsubstantiated BS I think I will continue to be skeptical of magical sky daddy claims.

My statement was in relation to Brian who is clearly a materialistic naturalist.  Since you appearently aren't I am not sure why you responded.

Because anyone making god(s) claims is open game. If you cannot pass my simple test then why did you respond? BTW I do agree that the material world is all we know of with very little doubt so not sure how you came to conclude that.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS


jcgadfly
Superfan
Posts: 6791
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
WillieBop

WillieBop wrote:

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

If Caposkia wants to show me god's power it's easy. Ask god to tell him my real name or where I live for that matter. If you claim god talks to you or gives you things through prayer, then prove it. Is that too much to ask? Until any believer in any god can wow me with something other than unsubstantiated BS I think I will continue to be skeptical of magical sky daddy claims.

My statement was in relation to Brian who is clearly a materialistic naturalist.  Since you appearently aren't I am not sure why you responded.

Isn't the "spiritual world" just a way to absolve one of responsibility?

"The Devil made me do it" - Flip Wilson

"For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up" - Psalm 69:9

Is there that much of a difference?

 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


WillieBop
Theist
Posts: 61
Joined: 2007-03-19
User is offlineOffline
Cali_Athiest2

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

WillieBop wrote:

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

If Caposkia wants to show me god's power it's easy. Ask god to tell him my real name or where I live for that matter. If you claim god talks to you or gives you things through prayer, then prove it. Is that too much to ask? Until any believer in any god can wow me with something other than unsubstantiated BS I think I will continue to be skeptical of magical sky daddy claims.

My statement was in relation to Brian who is clearly a materialistic naturalist.  Since you appearently aren't I am not sure why you responded.

Because anyone making god(s) claims is open game. If you cannot pass my simple test then why did you respond? BTW I do agree that the material world is all we know of with very little doubt so not sure how you came to conclude that.

 

How very odd... ummmm... According to this "Until any believer in any god can wow me with something other than unsubstantiated BS I think I will continue to be skeptical of magical sky daddy claims."  You would be willing to accept a miracle.  So, I guess you are just confused.. or maybe not aware of what materialistic naturalism means. 


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Quote:So, I guess you are

Quote:
So, I guess you are just confused.. or maybe not aware of what materialistic naturalism means.

Oh, the irony.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
Posts: 440
Joined: 2008-02-07
User is offlineOffline
WillieBop

WillieBop wrote:

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

WillieBop wrote:

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

If Caposkia wants to show me god's power it's easy. Ask god to tell him my real name or where I live for that matter. If you claim god talks to you or gives you things through prayer, then prove it. Is that too much to ask? Until any believer in any god can wow me with something other than unsubstantiated BS I think I will continue to be skeptical of magical sky daddy claims.

My statement was in relation to Brian who is clearly a materialistic naturalist.  Since you appearently aren't I am not sure why you responded.

Because anyone making god(s) claims is open game. If you cannot pass my simple test then why did you respond? BTW I do agree that the material world is all we know of with very little doubt so not sure how you came to conclude that.

 

How very odd... ummmm... According to this "Until any believer in any god can wow me with something other than unsubstantiated BS I think I will continue to be skeptical of magical sky daddy claims."  You would be willing to accept a miracle.  So, I guess you are just confused.. or maybe not aware of what materialistic naturalism means. 

How very odd indeed. Materialist naturalism means believing in the material nature of understanding is all we can know for sure. Yes, in a nutshell I understand the term. I am willing to accept a miracle as proof yet I see no miracles to back your claims. I made this statement based on my position of an agnostic atheist not a gnostic atheist. That is why I qualified my last statement with "very little doubt".

I am open minded to the possibility that the material world is not the only possible reality, but I lean in that direction more so than magic sky daddy talks to me. Perhaps you are confused that most atheists do not believe in god(s). There's a huge difference in not believing and stating there is/are no god(s).

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS