Sci-Fi drought.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sci-Fi drought.

...Seriously. Where has all the awesome science fiction gone these days? Maybe it's just me, but t seems like it's been a way long time since any original sci-fi has been thrust into the world. Films, TV shows and books are mostly just about re-hashing popular franchises; the only medium to be regularly pumping-out new universes to explore is, well, video games (surprisingly enough).

Am I just missing the good stuff somehow? Or does anyone know of something big on the horizon for us sci-fi nuts?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Actually, the inspiration for Star Wars was Kurosowa's "The Hidden Fortress" - it's basically a martial arts movie with a SF background.

That was what was partly the inspiration, but Dune is much more heavily borrowed from. Lucas didn't steal from just one source, but a few.

Check this out Shizzle, it has an easy to read breakdown of the references. http://www.moongadget.com/origins/dune.html

"Steal"?

In that light, everything in history has been stolen.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been devouring the

I've been devouring the Takeshi Kovacs series by Richard K. Morgan series since this thread started.  They're very much like Blade Runner (and to a lesser degree like Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, but with gratuitous sex and violence.  The protagonist (you can't exactly call him a "hero&quotEye-wink is often motivated by his hatred of religion.  The first one's called Altered Carbon, if that sounds like your kind of thing.  The movie is coming out in 2009 or 2010, directed by James McTeague, the guy who did V for Vendetta.  I didn't totally hate that movie, so I'm hoping for a really good flick.  

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: "Steal"?In

Vastet wrote:

"Steal"?

Steal might not be wholly appropriate verbiage for the movie as a complete work, but certain parts of the plotline, characters, and environment are so derivative of Dune that I don't think its unfair to claim that.

Actually, the new "Death Race" movie blatantly ripped off Death Race 2000, the Running Man, and some say the video game Twisted Metal and the B movie the Condemned.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Actually, the new "Death Race" movie blatantly ripped off Death Race 2000, the Running Man, and some say the video game Twisted Metal and the B movie the Condemned.

Actually... what it REALLY ripped off... was the ancient video game called Death Race... starring Duke Nukem >.> i face palmed pretty hard when it turned out to have swords/shields as well.

What Would Kharn Do?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:I've been

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

I've been devouring the Takeshi Kovacs series by Richard K. Morgan series since this thread started.

takeshi kovacs?  what is he, half japanese, half hungarian?

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
My dad really likes Doctor

My dad really likes Doctor Who, and I liked Firefly before they fucking canceled it. And I LOVE The Twilight Zone and Farscape. Great shows!

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
...Hey, how come nobody's

...Hey, how come nobody's mentioned Fallout yet?

Fallout 3's coming pretty soon, and #1 & #2 were among the best PC RPG titles to date. If you're into games at all, find those bad boys and get wandering the wasteland. Smiling

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Those fallout games sucked -

Those fallout games sucked - way too hard. The old Wasteland was way better.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:DamnDirtyApe

iwbiek wrote:

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

I've been devouring the Takeshi Kovacs series by Richard K. Morgan series since this thread started.

takeshi kovacs?  what is he, half japanese, half hungarian?

Yep.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Vastet wrote:

"Steal"?

Steal might not be wholly appropriate verbiage for the movie as a complete work, but certain parts of the plotline, characters, and environment are so derivative of Dune that I don't think its unfair to claim that.

Before I go on a rant, I have to recognize that I'm not particularly familiar with the Dune universe. I have seen a few of the movies, however, and cannot see any similarities between Dune and Star Wars beyond the genre of action/adventure set in sci-fi and utilizing fantasy.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet

Vastet wrote:

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Vastet wrote:

"Steal"?

Before I go on a rant, I have to recognize that I'm not particularly familiar with the Dune universe. I have seen a few of the movies, however, and cannot see any similarities between Dune and Star Wars beyond the genre of action/adventure set in sci-fi and utilizing fantasy.

Well, there's the big evil Space Empire, the desert planet (Empire's the only movie that doesn't have a scene on Tatooine), the esoteric order of mystics that prepare for the arrival of a single, world-changing figure (okay, pretty much every story's got that), the gigantic worm/slug with a humanoid face (two eyes, nostrils and a mouth in the human arrangement, that is to say) and hands, and if that ain't enough, let's remember that Han Solo got on Jabba's shit list in the first place because he dumped his cargo of illicit spice when a few Imperial cruisers showed up.

Dune was one of the definitive sci-fi novels of its time and Lucas would have been the exact right age to be influenced by it.  For that matter, Richard Dreyfuss's character in American Graffitti is described by several other characters as a Tleilaxu Face Dancer.

--Bertrand Russell

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:Vastet

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Vastet wrote:

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Vastet wrote:

"Steal"?

Well, there's the big evil Space Empire, the desert planet (Empire's the only movie that doesn't have a scene on Tatooine), the esoteric order of mystics that prepare for the arrival of a single, world-changing figure (okay, pretty much every story's got that), the gigantic worm/slug with a humanoid face (two eyes, nostrils and a mouth in the human arrangement, that is to say) and hands, and if that ain't enough, let's remember that Han Solo got on Jabba's shit list in the first place because he dumped his cargo of illicit spice when a few Imperial cruisers showed up.

Dune was one of the definitive sci-fi novels of its time and Lucas would have been the exact right age to be influenced by it.  For that matter, Richard Dreyfuss's character in American Graffitti is described by several other characters as a Tleilaxu Face Dancer.

Well, the big evil empire is one of the oldest concepts in history, likely stemming from the Roman Empire. I can't recognize Dune as its origin, as this is impossible. The space factor is arguable I suppose, but that's merely a factor of setting.

I cannot recognize the Hutt species as being similar enough to the worms for Lucas to have derived Jabba from such. Especially when noting that Jabba was originally cast and filmed as a human(though I concede that Lucas did not add the scene to the film as he did not want Jabba to be human, and simply could not think of what he wanted Jabba to be before the release date for the film came out).

I can and will give you spice, though spice in Star Wars is a lot more complex than it is in Dune to my knowledge, and it isn't a certainty that George came up with spice as a result of Dune.

Tatooine being a desert world is not something I find remarkable. Nor is the fact that it was featured in 5 of 6 of the movies. Beyond the movies, Tatooine is almost never seen. Time spent there within the Star Wars universe, even in the movies, is negligible and transitory. Beyond the death of Jabba, no great battles are fought there. There is no government to speak of, and it's participation in galactic affairs equates to nothing. Quite frankly, Tatooine could disappear and most people wouldn't even notice. Luke was fairly, though not completely, accurate when he said that Tatooine was the place furthest from the bright centre of the galaxy. In Dune, the desert world is enormously involved in politics and a major factor in trade. Other than sand, there is no comparison between them.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do we have to prove that

Do we have to prove that Lucas said to himself, "Self, today, I think I will steal concepts from Frank Herbert?"  Or, is it ok if we just say that Dune appears to have had a major place in his mind, and that consciously or unconsciously, he emulated it in Star Wars?  I don't think anybody's tried to say that Lucas deliberately made a knock-off of Dune.  At least that's not what I think.  Original ideas are really hard to come by in any kind of fiction, and we tend to emulate those we admire.  Whether Lucas was consciously aware of it or not, I think it would be naive to suggest that he didn't get some (or maybe a lot) of his ideas as a result of being exposed to Dune.

I don't think it particularly matters if he said, "Self, since I love Dune so much, I'll make Luke into a messiah figure and have him come from a desert planet, just like Paul."  The fact is, the parallels are striking, particularly to me, since I've read the whole Dune series at least a half dozen times, and am really familiar with it.  Yes, many of the themes in SW and Dune are kind of ubiquitous in this style of story, but the similarities in setting, the time frame, and the thematic parallels seem too striking to me to be entirely coincidental.

{Edit:  Yes, I know Paul was originally from Caladan.  Luke was originally from Naboo, if you assume that's where Annakin knocked up Padme.}

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
OH... and while we're at it,

OH... and while we're at it, both Luke and Paul were children of royalty.  Yet another parallel.  Both ended up being adopted by the Rebellion.  Both had sisters who shared their powers. 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Do we have

Hambydammit wrote:

Do we have to prove that Lucas said to himself, "Self, today, I think I will steal concepts from Frank Herbert?"  Or, is it ok if we just say that Dune appears to have had a major place in his mind, and that consciously or unconsciously, he emulated it in Star Wars?  I don't think anybody's tried to say that Lucas deliberately made a knock-off of Dune.  At least that's not what I think.  Original ideas are really hard to come by in any kind of fiction, and we tend to emulate those we admire.  Whether Lucas was consciously aware of it or not, I think it would be naive to suggest that he didn't get some (or maybe a lot) of his ideas as a result of being exposed to Dune.

My basis in this argument was that Lucas derived Star Wars from no less than 50-100 different sources, possibly thousands, and focusing on Dune in the manner that it has been focused upon seems lazy at best. Quite frankly, this is the first time I can recall ever hearing of people suggesting such a vast amount of Dune coincides with Star Wars. Comic books(ie: Marvel, DC), certain religions, and mythical stories from our past all have at least as much influence on the Star Wars universe as Dune, if not more. And yet, I agree with most of what you say here, and that which I do not necessarily agree with I don't have much to work with to debate you, so I'm going to have to reluctantly disengage.

Hambydammit wrote:
I don't think it particularly matters if he said, "Self, since I love Dune so much, I'll make Luke into a messiah figure and have him come from a desert planet, just like Paul."  The fact is, the parallels are striking, particularly to me, since I've read the whole Dune series at least a half dozen times, and am really familiar with it.  Yes, many of the themes in SW and Dune are kind of ubiquitous in this style of story, but the similarities in setting, the time frame, and the thematic parallels seem too striking to me to be entirely coincidental.

{Edit:  Yes, I know Paul was originally from Caladan.  Luke was originally from Naboo, if you assume that's where Annakin knocked up Padme.}

As an aside, I would suggest that Luke and Leia do not have a homeworld, as they were born in space. But that would be a debatable point.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: As an

Vastet wrote:

As an aside, I would suggest that Luke and Leia do not have a homeworld, as they were born in space. But that would be a debatable point.

Bullshit.  Luke and Leia were born on an asteroid called Polis Massa.  Checkmate.

Or in the language of your people, pwned.

--Bertrand Russell

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Bullshit.  Luke and

Quote:

Bullshit.  Luke and Leia were born on an asteroid called Polis Massa.  Checkmate.

I defer to your higher geekdom.  I simply don't have the heart to research this to see if you're telling the truth.

Vastet, I submit to you that it's your turn to pony up some evidence.  So far, here's what we have for Dune/SW:

1) Messiah figures

2) Both messiahs are adopted in new homes

2.1) Both biblical names

2.2) Both related to the bad guy

3) Both new homes are desert planets

3.5) Both old homes (Caladan/Naboo) are suspiciously utopian, with water everywhere and teeming with life

4) Both are taught a secret way of fighting

5) Both are the subject of prophecies

6) Both have younger sisters

6.5) Both fall in love with a woman they've never met

7) Jabba the Hutt/Leto II

Cool Han Solo - Illicit spice drop / Arrakis - spice smugglers

9) Speaking of Han Solo:  Han Solo = Duncan Idaho... ladies man, fighting for the good side, but "bad boys."

9.5) Princess Leia (sister) falls for Han.  Alia (sister) falls for Duncan Idaho.

9.75) Both Leia and Alia (similar names??) are captured and tortured by their grandfather

10) Paul:Gurney Halleck   as   Luke:Obi Wan Kenobi

11) Both Obi Wan and Gurney Halleck return from the dead to continue to aid their apprentices.

12) Yoda and Thufir Hawat were both the best fighters anywhere when they were younger.

12.5) Both have amazing mental abilities.

13) Tuskan Raiders kill anyone who goes into the desert unprotected.  Fremen kill anyone who goes into the desert unprotected.

14) Storm Troopers = Sardaukar

15) Jedi = Bene Gesserit?  Might seem far fetched at first, but both are ancient societies which claim to exist only to serve mankind.  They're both expert fighters.  They both have super powers.  They both detect truth.  They both control minds.  "These are not the droids you're looking for."  -- sounds like Voice to me.

16) Arrakis has two moons.  Tatooine has two suns.

16.5) Arrakis has sand worms.  Tatooine has Sarlacc.

17) Best weapons in the universe:  Light saber, Crysknife.  Both for elite fighters only, incredibly effective, symbols of mystical status.

18) Shields:  In Dune, only slow objects pass through shields.  In Star Wars, only small objects can get through the shield on the Death Star

"[We] had trouble with the fact that Star Wars used up so much of Dune.  We found sixteen points of identity between my novel and Star Wars."  -- Frank Herbert, speaking of David Lynch during the making of Dune.

As a final nail in the coffin, George Lucas had to hire Gary Kurtz to rewrite the SW script because it was rejected for being too much like Dune.  The Herbert Partnership threatened to sue if the original script got made into a movie.

Now, would you, Vastet, please produce and document another sci fi classic that has this many parallels with Dune?  That is your claim, is it not?  That many other films follow the formula so closely that we need not attribute it to Dune?  Please tell us what films you're thinking of, and show us the similarities.

Otherwise, I believe I may also employ the jargon, PWND.

Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I defer

Hambydammit wrote:

I defer to your higher geekdom.  I simply don't have the heart to research this to see if you're telling the truth.

Vastet, I submit to you that it's your turn to pony up some evidence.  So far, here's what we have for Dune/SW:

Just to make clear, I wasn't attempting to parry Hamby here--be kind of stupid, as he's arguing the point I picked up yesterday on my side--I neglected to get the quoting right and I was intending to quote Vastet.

--Bertrand Russell

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Funny... that's why it says

Funny... that's why it says "Vastet" in the quote...

/me wipes glasses off with twenty four vigorous circular strokes for each lens

Ah... that's better.

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:Vastet

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Vastet wrote:

An asteroid is not a habitable body, and counts as space. You are self owned.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:An asteroid is not a

Quote:

There are very few things I enjoy more than a sci-fi internet pwning.  Unfortunately, I can't say I'm sure if anyone's been pwned yet (except of course, Vastet, who will certainly be unable to refute my well thought out and thoroughly documented treatise on Dune/SW).

Anyway, there are issues with the asteroid theory, since in sci fi, asteroids are clearly habitable.  In dozens of movies and books, permanent mining settlements are built on asteroids.  Yes, they do have to have all their resources shipped in, but the same thing is true of living on Arrakis.  There was barely enough food on Arrakis to keep a few ragged bands of Fremen alive.  Certainly not enough to keep a population of millions of non-Fremen in standard Empire style living.

However, as I've mentioned before, I don't think we need to demonstrate exact copying to prove thematic copying.  I mean, hell, that's what we're saying -- the themes are copied.  Both Luke and Paul are essentially orphaned in space.  I didn't mention this before, but another parallel just popped into my head.  Very early in both Dune and SW, the messiah figure, largely unaware of his own destiny, is thrust into the belly of the beast (the evil empire) through circumstances quite beyond his control.   Luke, having lost his whole family, and having nothing left on Tatooine, travels in a spaceship, only to be captured by the Empire.  Paul, having lost all legal connection to his home planet, travels in a spaceship, only to be captured by the Harkonnen.

After the initial capture, Paul is aided in his escape by his mother, the most powerful female in his existence at the time.  After the initial capture, Luke is aided in his escape by his sister, the most powerful (the only!) female in his existence at the time.

Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:DamnDirtyApe

Vastet wrote:

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Vastet wrote:

I don't know where you get the idea that an asteroid "counts" as space any more than a planet full of gerbils, crickets and gonorrhea does.  We all live in Euclidean space and non-Euclidean spacetime.  You might more properly say that Luke and Leia were born outside of a biosphere.  Secondly, if a woman can give birth on an asteroid, that place has been made into a habitable body and therefore is a biosphere in its own right, whether it's artificial or not.  In any case, you may as well give this Battle of the Dorks up, as I remember from your earlier post that you haven't even read Dune

--Bertrand Russell

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: In any case, you may

Quote:
In any case, you may as well give this Battle of the Dorks up, as I remember from your earlier post that you haven't even read Dune.

In all fairness, after going back and rereading the last few threads, I have seen that Vastet did say he was going to extricate himself from the debate for lack of ammunition.  My post came after that, and could be considered a Battle of the Dorks foul.  Anyway, SW = Dune clone.

Books about atheism

AdvancedAtheist
User is offlineOffline
I wonder when real life

I wonder when real life will start to look like science fiction. In a lot of ways, the world in the first decade of the 21st Century looks like the world I remember in my teens during the 1970's, oil shocks and all.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm going to start off

I'm going to start off commenting on the amount of passion that's gone into this. I certainly didn't respond in this topic with the intention of starting a fist fight, but I can roll with any punch.

Quote:
In all fairness, after going back and rereading the last few threads, I have seen that Vastet did say he was going to extricate himself from the debate for lack of ammunition.  My post came after that, and could be considered a Battle of the Dorks foul.  Anyway, SW = Dune clone.

I'm glad you'd seen that. I was mostly just coming back to this topic to point it out. And possibly to defend my iron tight point of an asteroid not fitting with the definition of a home world, but fortunately I don't have to drop to such a low standard.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I can't believe this post

I can't believe this post really devolved into a star wars is dune feud, but it has been quite amusing. Hamby pretty much put all doubts to rest by basically asserting all the points in the Dune is Star Wars link I posted(and quite a few of his own as well). Vastet, you seem like a nice person, but it is not bad form to accept a lost argument when it is clearly lost, and bickering about what constitutes space versus a homeworld is truely the last shred of a desperate argument. Its okay! Star Wars is still great, just know it was heavily formulated by using Dune as a template, moreso than any other singular piece of work. I think thats all anyone is saying. It would be like saying "10 things I hate about you" was in part based on Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew" but had numerous other influences equal in inspiration. A baseless claim if there ever was one.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I'm glad you'd seen

Quote:
I'm glad you'd seen that. I was mostly just coming back to this topic to point it out. And possibly to defend my iron tight point of an asteroid not fitting with the definition of a home world, but fortunately I don't have to drop to such a low standard.

I pride myself on my ability to stoop to any depth in the interest of geekdom.  Maybe one day, you'll learn to be as dedicated.  Until then, I will dismiss you as a slacker!

Quote:
I can't believe this post really devolved into a star wars is dune feud, but it has been quite amusing.

Again, I will stand by my geekdom when it comes to making Dune look good and making George Lucas look like the hack he is.  I hate Lucas for a number of reasons, not least of which the fact that despite his horrible directing and dialog, and his hyper-frenetic pod race scenes, I still watch the original SW trilogy.  The only way I can console myself is by realizing that I am watching a dumbed down version of Dune, which is still a pretty decent story.

Quote:
It would be like saying "10 things I hate about you" was in part based on Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew" but had numerous other influences equal in inspiration.

Creepy analogy, but accurate, nonetheless.

Books about atheism

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:It

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
It would be like saying "10 things I hate about you" was in part based on Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew" but had numerous other influences equal in inspiration.

Creepy analogy, but accurate, nonetheless.

How dare you slander Heath Ledger's finest work!...end of sarcasm. Seacrest out.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:I

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

I can't believe this post really devolved into a star wars is dune feud, but it has been quite amusing. Hamby pretty much put all doubts to rest by basically asserting all the points in the Dune is Star Wars link I posted(and quite a few of his own as well). Vastet, you seem like a nice person, but it is not bad form to accept a lost argument when it is clearly lost, and bickering about what constitutes space versus a homeworld is truely the last shred of a desperate argument. Its okay! Star Wars is still great, just know it was heavily formulated by using Dune as a template, moreso than any other singular piece of work. I think thats all anyone is saying. It would be like saying "10 things I hate about you" was in part based on Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew" but had numerous other influences equal in inspiration. A baseless claim if there ever was one.

Meh. You can think whatever you want, but the fact of the matter is that I don't have any problem stooping to someones level when they want to start slinging around terms like "pwned" on the basis of an extremely stupid suggestion such as an asteroid constituting a homeworld. I wasn't attempting to salvage anything. I was putting an idiot in his place.

Hambydammit wrote:

I pride myself on my ability to stoop to any depth in the interest of geekdom.  Maybe one day, you'll learn to be as dedicated.  Until then, I will dismiss you as a slacker!

Oh, I'm just as dedicated. I simply don't have any reference material in half the subject. One can only read so much in a lifetime after all, and I've only got 30 years under my belt. I'll admit though that this conversation has given me some motivation to read Dune. Something I was lacking after seeing most or all of the movies and thinking they sucked compared to Star Wars and many other sci fi programs and movies

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:'ll admit

Vastet wrote:

'll admit though that this conversation has given me some motivation to read Dune. Something I was lacking after seeing most or all of the movies and thinking they sucked compared to Star Wars and many other sci fi programs and movies

Probably the best course of action. I don't see how you could be disappointed with the book, especially after having such low expectations.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm personally going to give

I'm personally going to give Vastet the "Hambydammit Told You So" badge after he reads Dune and admits that it's the best damn thing ever.

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I'm

Hambydammit wrote:

I'm personally going to give Vastet the "Hambydammit Told You So" badge after he reads Dune and admits that it's the best damn thing ever.

Lol. Is this a badge you already have, or are you going to have to custom make it?

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I prefer it to be a

I prefer it to be a "pomposity is the mindkiller" badge, but you have mod powers Hamby. Jk Vastet, but you won't get that joke till your halfway through Dune.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I prefer it to be a

Quote:
I prefer it to be a "pomposity is the mindkiller" badge, but you have mod powers Hamby. Jk Vastet, but you won't get that joke till your halfway through Dune.

Oh... I so want to continue with this joke, but I need to leave it so that Vastet can have a eureka moment.

I don't have a "Hambydammit Told You So" badge, but I think it would probably be worth having for occasions such as this.  (Pompous Badge Activated) I mean hell.. I'm right so often...

"What had Lady Jessica to sustain her in the time of trial?  Think you carefully on this Bene Gesserit proverb and perhaps you will see:  "Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere.  Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain.  From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain."

--From "Muad'Dib:  Family Commentaries" by the Princess Irulan

Books about atheism