Amoron.
Amoron.'s picture
User is offlineOffline

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can you prove that

Can you prove that leprechauns aren't real?  If you can't, then why don't you believe in them?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Which god?

Which god?

Amoron.
Amoron.'s picture
User is offlineOffline
like jesus christ god.

like jesus christ god.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
To prove that he doesn't

To prove that he doesn't exist, you have to demonstrate that everything but him exists.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Hi there

I find this god to be like santa claus, easter bunny and list goes on.  All fictitious characters to me.

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Amoron, I'm with Hamby and Boon Docks...

...and, to the list of leprechauns, Santa, and the Easter Bunny, we can add the RRS Official Super Friends Pantheon:

Assorted creators: the Invisible Pink Unicorn; Russel's Teapot; the Flying Spaghetti Monster; Rufus, the Lactose Intolerant Teddy Bear; the Almighty Purple Snarfwidget; He/She/It/They-Who-May-Or-May-Not-Be-Kelhain; the Great Gawkersnot In The Sky; the Ooga Booga Monster; and Raptor Jesus.  (N.B.: Ordinarily, Jake, Joe Pesci, and Google likewise make this list...but all of them are real, which is why I left them off, this time out.  Obviously, we have a little too much time on our hands, here.)

Creatures of unutterable evil (every deity has to have opposition, right?): Elsie, the Borden Milk Cow; the Purple Oyster of Doom, and Stephen Colbert (but Stephen is only evil to the various bear gods & prophets; he's also real.)

Proceed with the analogy of your choice.  Do not feel at all constrained by this list.

Conor

Prophets and Revered Ones: Billy, the Nesquick Bunny and Prophet of Rufus; the Bible Bear; and the Sudanese Teddy Bear Named Mohammed.

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Huh.

For some odd reason, my listing of Prophets and Revered Ones was put after my signature, when I meant for it to follow the list of Creatures of Unutterable Evil.  I don't know what happened...but there you have it.

Oh, well...at least it's all there.

Conor

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Amoron. wrote: GOD ISNT

Amoron. wrote:

GOD ISNT REAL? why?

Because of the description and attributes give to god and what he has done which supposedly proves he is real, are not true, if those claims of his feats are untrue (created the world in 6 days, but really it took 10 billion years after the universe formed before the earth formed) then the claims of the truth are false as well, so does for his attributes etc, etc, etc. The most common is look around you, what created all of this. To which you can then show how rocks are formed, thunder occurs, how planets are formed, same goes for the sun, etc, etc, etc, which again proves that the christian god is false. However you cannot directly disprove god by saying god doesn't exist, you can simply just prove his attributes, his feats and his description is false.

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Aside from the fact that the

Aside from the fact that the burden of proof lies on the claimer, one of the reasons the god of the bible is imposibe, is because it's imposible for a being to be all powerfull, all knowing and all loving.

Amoron.
Amoron.'s picture
User is offlineOffline
YOU MAKE A POINT,  THANK

YOU MAKE A POINT,  THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Waiting

I agree totally with what Waiting for Oblivion said...

The burden of proof is not on us

Jello
User is offlineOffline
No-one can prove that the

No-one can prove that the magical invisible fairies, that live at the center of the earth, who are responsible for the warp in space time that creates the earth's gravitational pull, aren't real. And that's why they absolutely must exist!! Look at the evidence! Gravity, people!! Why won't anyone listen to me!!

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
No, no, no, Jello...

...gravity is so obviously caused by the psychological effect of nightmares which the Giant Purple Spotted Snorkelwackers bring to misbehaving people.  This is why Superman can fly: he doesn't tick off the Snorkelwackers by being evil.

I mean, really...invisible magical fairies?!?!?  Just how preposterous can you get?

Conor

Jello
User is offlineOffline
Conor Wilson

Conor Wilson wrote:

...gravity is so obviously caused by the psychological effect of nightmares which the Giant Purple Spotted Snorkelwackers bring to misbehaving people.  This is why Superman can fly: he doesn't tick off the Snorkelwackers by being evil.

I mean, really...invisible magical fairies?!?!?  Just how preposterous can you get?

Conor

Oh yeah? And what about the planets that don't have any life? How do they get gravity without people to have nightmares?

Each planet has it's own magical invisible gravity fairies living at the center of them! It's logic, people!

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Oh, that's no problem...

...the Flying Spaghetti Monster takes care of those.  Pirates, after all, are practically extinct.  The FSM left to look after Jupiter.

It's all perfectly logical.

Conor

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jello wrote:Each planet has

Jello wrote:

Each planet has it's own magical invisible gravity fairies living at the center of them! It's logic, people!

Why at the center? Common, smaller objects has their gravity too. I think there are small, invisible flying fairies around who somehow fly away from the center, but it somehow makes other objects to be attracted to them, not repelled. I think the fairies are nowadays called gravitons. When they're not invisible at the moment, they look similarly like the fairies with a jar of glue, called gluons, just without that glue, and with wings, so they can fly, while gluons must stay at the centre of atoms.
Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide any evidence for their existence. They're invisible, after all. Only the High Priests can. So if you want to see an evidence, bring a pot.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Jello

Luminon wrote:

Jello wrote:

Why at the center? Common, smaller objects has their gravity too. I think there are small, invisible flying fairies around who somehow fly away from the center, but it somehow makes other objects to be attracted to them, not repelled. I think the fairies are nowadays called gravitons. When they're not invisible at the moment, they look similarly like the fairies with a jar of glue, called gluons, just without that glue, and with wings, so they can fly, while gluons must stay at the centre of atoms.
Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide any evidence for their existence. They're invisible, after all. Only the High Priests can. So if you want to see an evidence, bring a pot.

Poe's Law in action. I wouldn't be surprised if Luminon meant every word.

No hard feelings

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Poe's Law in

Loc wrote:

Poe's Law in action. I wouldn't be surprised if Luminon meant every word.

No hard feelings

Of course, that's a parody. I'm just teasing a little Smiling I'm trying to be a bit less conformistic, to put it mildly. 
(it's interesting, every time one my teacher was trying to tease students' thinking that way, I thought that's good for a start, but still not controversial enough )
There is a great wisdom in Clarke's three laws. For example, the third law:
Clarke said, that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
I said, that both technology and magic may be so advanced, that they're essentially one and the same thing in their truly understood basis. (controversial, I know)
Some people may have an impression, that a scientific jargon may be so advanced and abstract, that it can't be distinguished from a superstition, mythology, and mumbo-jumbo. Just remember, I replaced the graviton with a fairy, and where's the difference for a normal person?

What I want, is to achieve an union between the opposites. There is a big heap of locks in the East, and a big heap of keys in the West. They're useful for many things, like for sitting upon, or for scratching on a back, but their primary and most important purpose is to open each other. This union will erase the currently present drawbacks. The lazy, predetermined oriental mind, and empty, destructive vanity of western materialistic pursuit.
There are two archetypes of human mind, lower, specific mind, and higher, abstract mind. (surprisingly, 'abstract' mathemathic calculations and concepts belongs to specific mind) Without each other, the specific mind lacks a purpose, and  the abstract mind lacks a realization in the specific world.
Spiritual stuff is so hard to understand for rational people, because it's simply too abstract. It requires to use this abstract mind people in the West doesn't usually need. But to understand it with an abstract mind is one problem, and to be able to say it in words meaningful for a rational mind, it's another problem.

Rationality is an advanced achievement, but the possibilities of improvement are infinite, and this way goes through a syntesis, an unity with other aspects of the world.
The rational mind divides and clouds things by their thought forms. We may see only what our visible spectrum allows us, but we don't see even that, we look at a thought form in our mind, representing a real object. We see only what we think about the object. And we call that rational. Well, that's certainly a powerful tool (thanks Von Neumann), and a basis of thinking (this is why it's called "lower mind", it's a basis), but it's just a tool. This kind of rational mind is a good servant, but a bad master. When it's a master over people, it's destructive. I want people to have a good lower mind, but to be also a masters over it, by using their higher, abstract mind too. I see here some great specific minds, maybe even overgrown a bit, refusing the abstract mind they don't have anyway. It reminds me about the tale of the fox and unreachable grapes.

I'm trying to show you a mirror, to give you an impression of the abstract mind, rather than the specific mind. I have it too, I just don't show it here so much, because it would be like carrying a proverbial wood into a forest. My rational mind is not great but sufficient, one my hobby is a programming (or rather scripting) of computer games and I had solved a few of hard problems over the years. So yes, I have the rational mind, I just use it as a tool when I think I should. Maybe not often enough, but nobody's perfect Smiling

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon's usual crap aside,

Luminon's usual crap aside, the answer to your question is a question.

How do you decide anything is real?

And the answer to that, if one is being totally honest, is - having seen real proof or having heard credible report of proof.

It's the last bit that religionists seize on as their way into the minds of the gullible (and delusionists seize on as a hopefully justifiable avenue out of reality). They think assertion is enough to make the hearsay they're delivering equally as credible as, for example, the laws governing molecular movement to a person whose interests have never strayed so far into chemistry as to ever explore such laws. They are, in other words, exploiters of the inevitable ignorance gap that we all share in some respect, and boy do they know it!

Their success is undeniable - at least in how they sway opinion and shape the way many of us think. Just take your question Amoron. Why on earth should someone even feel the need to ask such a thing? Even (or even especially) someone whose rationality has already refuted the concept?

Delusion and cancer share several common attributes - both exploit and distort in a malignant manner a perfectly functional body (in this case one of knowledge and what it is "to know" ) and poison the beneficial dependence we have on that functionality. Both also shift our perspective to the point that we concentrate on the intrusion at the expense of the still remarkably superior and (despite the illness) largely functional organism (in this case our common intelligence) which - to its credit - soldiers on despite the huge handicap placed on it. Both however, if left untreated, lead eventually to a demise.

The good news is that, unlike cancer, delusion can be cured relatively easily. Just don't let yourself be fooled into obsessing about its manifestations. Whereas a tumor mightn't disappear using that approach, one's slavery to delusion evaporates immediately. Let those who are still adamant that you should be infected justify their position. You, in your endeavour to maintain your (mental) health need not even get involved.

Welcome to the boards. As you can tell from comparing yourself to at least one of your correspondents here you are already well in remission. Live long and prosper (as a fictional altruist once said - fiction is littered with them).

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Amoron. wrote:YOU MAKE A

Amoron. wrote:

YOU MAKE A POINT,  THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Glad you agree.

Now, a pertinent question I feel the need to ask: What do the letters on your shirt say?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Amoron.
Amoron.'s picture
User is offlineOffline
my shirt says LAMB OF

my shirt says LAMB OF GOD,

its a band.

they are a metal band.

Jello
User is offlineOffline
You look sorta like kate

You look sorta like kate bush.

Amoron.
Amoron.'s picture
User is offlineOffline
who is that?

who is that?

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
From Wikipedia: Kate Bush

From Wikipedia: Kate Bush (born 30 July 1958) is an English singer, songwriter, musician, and record producer. Her eclectic musical style and idiosyncratic lyrics have made her one of England's most successful solo female performers of the past 30 years. Bush was signed by EMI at the age of 16 after being recommended by Pink Floyd's David Gilmour. In 1978, aged 19, she topped the UK charts for four weeks with her debut song "Wuthering Heights", becoming the first woman to have a UK number one with a self-written song.

Amoron.
Amoron.'s picture
User is offlineOffline
o ok

o ok

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
Amoron. wrote:my shirt says

Amoron. wrote:

my shirt says LAMB OF GOD,

its a band.

they are a metal band.

Must be a big SlipKnot fan as well then, heh? I was hoping Lamb of God would've been at the Mayhem Festival, but maybe next year.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

FreeThinker2012
User is offlineOffline
A good argument has come to

A good argument has come to my attention recently online at www.geocities.com/paulntobin/god.html . I will quote the author: "If the omniscient God knows the future w/ absolute certainty, how can he be omnipotent? For knowing the future, he can no longer change it. If God cannot change the future, then he cannot be omnipotent."
Another impossible reality (to me) is how God cannot possibly be both omnipresent & transcendent simultaneously.

Even if a xtian/creationist claims that God is omnipresent, just ask him/her "if God is omnipresent, then how can the beings (devils, demons, people) be separated from Him when they're all in hell"?

"The hands that help are holier than the lips that pray". - R. Ingersoll

Jesus didn't ride a donkey don't ya know, he rode an Apotasaurus!
www.flickr.com/photos/58362611@N00/431306643/