Difficulty in Detecting Parody

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Difficulty in Detecting Parody

I have seen this pointed out places before - but notice how hard it can be to tell a real fundie site from a parody one? Plenty of fundies are just so fucking batshit insane that it's hard to tell if they are serious. The parodies sound just like them often, too. That's pretty bad when people are so disconnected with reality that you can't even tell if they are serious.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Poe's law. I think it

Poe's law. I think it actually works in our favor. Like Fred Phelps, I think he may do more good than harm to the Atheist cause.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I remember reading in "The

I remember reading in "The God Delusion" That when Richard Dawkins first read of Ann Coulter he thought she was a parody of extreme right wingers here until an American friend assured him she was serious.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Death Dragoon
Bronze Member
Death Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Poe's law. I think

EXC wrote:

Poe's law. I think it actually works in our favor. Like Fred Phelps, I think he may do more good than harm to the Atheist cause.

Fred Phelps is a douchebag. Now when anyone thinks about us Kansans its either wizard of oz or his zealous ass.

When once asked in the library if I believed in Jesus Christ, I pointed out that zombie novels are in the fiction section.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Death Dragoon wrote:EXC

Death Dragoon wrote:

EXC wrote:

Fred Phelps is a douchebag. Now when anyone thinks about us Kansans its either wizard of oz or his zealous ass.

I know it's small comfort, but I don't. I have relatives in the Topeka area, and I know some people that are solid progressives in that area as well. You have my sympathy because I know how hard it is for anyone there to do much of anything without that cretin and his minions taking advantage of situations.

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

Mr. XC
High Level DonorSpecial AgentWebsite AdminPlatinum Member
User is offlineOffline
Ben Stein and Poe's Law

Ben Stein features a Poe's Law shirt in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUt7nZdUJIk

The original clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaGgpGLxLQw
It seems to be a parody of the theist's view that "big science" ("The Machine" in the clip) is dogmatically repressing religion from science.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. ..." -- Thomas Jefferson

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Death Dragoon wrote:EXC

Death Dragoon wrote:

EXC wrote:

maybe in the US, but outside of the US Phelps, he thought of as an american, not as a Kansans....just your typical fucked up, looney bin american preacher, which americans are famous for.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I remember

MattShizzle wrote:

I remember reading in "The God Delusion" That when Richard Dawkins first read of Ann Coulter he thought she was a parody of extreme right wingers here until an American friend assured him she was serious.

I saw a clip with her on youtube last year, and I thought it was Sascha Baron Cohen doing a new character. I'm still not absolutely sure she's for real.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Arkansas City, KS

Death Dragoon wrote:

EXC wrote:

This is also a site of "Little House" series.  But I guess that was a little to religious for my taste too.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Landover Baptist

Matt and I were talking about the Landover Baptist site earlier today... specifically how many people actually believe it is a legitimate Fundy church.  This is pretty apparent when you read some of the user comments.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:Matt and

shelleymtjoy wrote:

Matt and I were talking about the Landover Baptist site earlier today... specifically how many people actually believe it is a legitimate Fundy church.  This is pretty apparent when you read some of the user comments.

it's disturbing that there are people out there in the world that can't see Betty Bowers Crack Whore ministry is parody, I mean it should be obvious within just one paragraph.

Death Dragoon
Bronze Member
Death Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks wrote:Death

Boon Docks wrote:

Death Dragoon wrote:

EXC wrote:

This is also a site of "Little House" series.  But I guess that was a little to religious for my taste too.

Yea, I was raised on that shit. Luckily I got to watch the andy griffith show and the three stooges as well so I guess it kinda balanced out.

When once asked in the library if I believed in Jesus Christ, I pointed out that zombie novels are in the fiction section.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Death Dragoon wrote:Fred

Death Dragoon wrote:

I'm just happy that he's not located in Texas.  We already have more than our fair share of whack-jobs down here.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It's not just Fred Phelps

It's not just Fred Phelps that makes Kansas look bad - look at their record of science education - ie trying to teach ID.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Death Dragoon

Watcher wrote:

Death Dragoon wrote:

I'm just happy that he's not located in Texas.  We already have more than our fair share of whack-jobs down here.

That we do, although I'm kinda glad for me we do, in a vague sense. If it weren't for those nuts, I would have given up xtianity a whole lot later than I have.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was just thinking, I've

I was just thinking, I've gone to a fair number of xtian sites, and the parody sites; well, they are made better. That could be a criterion to use to determine if a site is a parody one or not.

Death Dragoon
Bronze Member
Death Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:It's not

MattShizzle wrote:

It's not just Fred Phelps that makes Kansas look bad - look at their record of science education - ie trying to teach ID.

Good point.