Christian Pre-School

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Christian Pre-School

I happened to see a sign for this on a somewhat local church while on the way to my therapist yesterday. This happens to be a fundie church. I've heard of this before. They basically indoctrinate 3 and 4 year old kids into that shit - including the cruel myth of hell. I find it disgusting that they scare kids like that before they are capable of real thought. How likely are they to ever realize that it's bullshit when they were indoctrinated in this from that age?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

fritistat
fritistat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was five years of age when

I was five years of age when I was brainwashed with My Book of Bible Stories by the Watchtower Society.

I recently dug up the book when cleaning my house.  I was horrified...it's nothing short of child terrorism.  I highly recommend picking up a copy simply to use as an example of immoral religious brainwashing.  Oh, and keep this book away from children.

God was my co-pilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Age limits

When an individual is old enough to buy and consume a beer or any hard liquor then and only then are they old enough to decide if they want to join mom and dad's cult.  Usually about 21.

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I happened

MattShizzle wrote:

I happened to see a sign for this on a somewhat local church while on the way to my therapist yesterday. This happens to be a fundie church. I've heard of this before. They basically indoctrinate 3 and 4 year old kids into that shit - including the cruel myth of hell. I find it disgusting that they scare kids like that before they are capable of real thought. Hpw likely are they to ever realize that it's bullshit when they were indoctrinated in this from that age?

>>>

Matt,

What planet have you been living on?  This has been going on for centuries!

I note you have referenced information from FFrF...did you miss Barbara G Walker's article "Violence in Religion" where she points out that one of the early (catholic) church fathers, St. john Chrysostom advised terrifying children with stories of child-devouring demons, to keep them still "when they want food or play or anything else unreasonable".  So to this early christian, children wanting food or to be able to play was unreasonable and the children should be terrorized with frightening stories of demons that eat little chldren who make such unreasonable requests. 

When I was a kid Jesus was always the one having children brought to him and always carrying a pretty lamb.  Nice picture, usually smiling.  His dad, on the other hand, was the bad dad from hell.  All fire and brimestone, drowning everyone (including babies of both human and animal kind); raining fire down from 'heaven'. 

My problem, even as a kid, was trying to get how Jesus could be so good when his dad was a complete bastard and why anyone would want to try to appease the 'bad dad'.  Obviously, Jesus wasn't raised by his dad, but had a step-dad (Joseph) who taught him to be good.  Now that I thnk about it, that's a pretty funny story i made up as a kid.  It helped me, coming from a 'broken home' and a dad who was a sociopath (very bad dad).

>>>

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
hope

While this has been going on for centuries, at least we can know there will always be those too smart for this crap. If not, this site would not exist. Those capable of believing will continue to believe and those capable of being rational will continue thinking for themselves, regardless of what everyone else insists on.

"We are the star things harvesting the star energy"
-Carl Sagan

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Off topic, hope not

pyrokidd wrote:

While this has been going on for centuries, at least we can know there will always be those too smart for this crap. If not, this site would not exist. Those capable of believing will continue to believe and those capable of being rational will continue thinking for themselves, regardless of what everyone else insists on.

Pyrokidd's back,  haven't heard from you in awhile ...  missed ya.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have to say, I'm so happy

I have to say, I'm so happy my parents were bright enough to bother indoctrinating me with any religious stuff.  Though I did have friends who were Christians and was told I was going to hell for not going to church or being baptized.  That kind of freaked me out as a kid.  See, even the non-religious don't escape unscathed, lol.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Kavis
atheist
Kavis's picture
User is offlineOffline
My mom has custody of my

My mom has custody of my 4-year-old niece, and has had custody for a couple of years now.  I know my niece is in better hands than she would be with my sister, who has drug and mental health issues.  It still makes me cringe whenever I hear my niece talk about Jesus, though. My mom isn't very religious, but I'm afraid that whatever indoctrination my niece gets now, with my family's history of mental illness and the fundamentalist nature of this state, my niece won't have a chance to grow up thinking for herself.

Unfortunately early indoctrination, starting almost before the child develops long-term memory, seems to be the major vector for most of the theistic memes.

Religion is a virus.
Fight the infection.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Speaking of people being

Speaking of people being back, it's nice to see you, pariah!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Thoughts about again

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

I happened to see a sign for this on a somewhat local church while on the way to my therapist yesterday. This happens to be a fundie church. I've heard of this before. They basically indoctrinate 3 and 4 year old kids into that shit - including the cruel myth of hell. I find it disgusting that they scare kids like that before they are capable of real thought. Hpw likely are they to ever realize that it's bullshit when they were indoctrinated in this from that age?

>>>

Matt,

I

It doesn't really matter how long it has been an acceptable practice, it is still not right to put children through any of this bs.

Rathpig (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
The reality of the situation

The reality of the situation is that most ideologies depend on the indoctrination of children. Religion, racism, political compliance, and even forced socialization can really only survive through early childhood indoctrination. To remove this practice from religion is the best way to end the continuation of religion.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That's true. Only problem is

That's true. Only problem is how could that be done without taking away their freedom of religion? Even if we could outlaw that sort of thing it would be easy for the parents to indoctrinate the children.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Rathpig (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:That's

MattShizzle wrote:

That's true. Only problem is how could that be done without taking away their freedom of religion? Even if we could outlaw that sort of thing it would be easy for the parents to indoctrinate the children.

I don't think much can be done about the situation except for the slow evolution of society.

Racism is an example of childhood indoctrination which has no Constitutional protection, yet nothing can be done to stop children from being indoctrinated into racist beliefs. The only practical approach is to change society.

BrainFromArous
BrainFromArous's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, you don't need religion

Speaking of childhood indoctrination, the religious nuts aren't the only people out to wreck kids' minds.

Exhibit A

Boards don't hit back. (Bruce Lee)

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks wrote:Lyzandra

Boon Docks wrote:

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

>>>

Matt,

I

It doesn't really matter how long it has been an acceptable practice, it is still not right to put children through any of this bs.

I didn't mean to infer this practice was acceptable on any level.  No...never acceptable to threaten or intimidate children. 

I had nightmares for years.  Our pastor at the first church I can remember had dark 'rings' (looked like he had two black eyes all the time) around his eyes and he was frightening.

Shit, I can't seem to communicate clearly anymore.  Am I speaking english?

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
BraonFromArous

BraonFromArous wrote:

Speaking of childhood indoctrination, the religious nuts aren't the only people out to wreck kids' minds.

Exhibit A

That's funny to me, I remember in second grade getting in trouble for referring to a black girl as black. Seemed like an obvious way to identify her, since she was the only one in the class at the time, but I was told that's the wrong way to think of a person, even if there's no harm intended.

By the way,

Boon Docks wrote:

Pyrokidd's back,  haven't heard from you in awhile ...  missed ya.

Thanks, I didn't even know my presence here was even that noticeable.......

"We are the star things harvesting the star energy"
-Carl Sagan

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks wrote:It doesn't

Boon Docks wrote:

I've got my 4 yo and 3 yo in a church based preschool.  Last Easter my 4yo told me that the Easter Bunny was put on the cross.

haha

So much fun.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Child indoctrination pisses

Child indoctrination pisses me off unimaginably. I agree with Richard Dawkins that there is no such thing as a religious child, as they are often too young to understand the concept and come up with their own stance on it.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:Child

peppermint wrote:

Child indoctrination pisses me off unimaginably. I agree with Richard Dawkins that there is no such thing as a religious child, as they are often too young to understand the concept and come up with their own stance on it.

I was indoctrinated from birth and slowly weened my way out of it on my own.  My girls I'm more than happy to allow their grandmother or various people to try to indoctrinate them.  I'm here to ask them to think.  I would rather them know their religious counterparts than be ignorant of them.  I'm arming them against those ideas. 

After that they can choose for themselves.   And I will love them no matter what they decide.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:That's

MattShizzle wrote:

Practically, you can't try to force parents to not indoctrinate their kids.  Did you see some of the outcry over the polygamists having their kids taken away in Texas?   Here was an instance of some clear cut child abuse and the abusers received a good deal of support from even mainstream christian organizations and the state had to back down considerably from their original aims of taking out abused children.  Society is barely ready to see the physical abuse of children as wrong, I wouldn't expect a condemnation of much of the emotional abuse of children yet.

I was born into a fundamentalist family.  It didn't take much for me to get away from it once I was an adult.  It wasn't exactly a fun transition, but life just sucks sometimes! 

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.