Theist
User is offlineOffline

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
A debate?Fine, I say idiots

A debate?

Fine, I say idiots who prance proudly into the wolves mouth deserved to be devoured.

However, should you care to actually define said the debate, I'd be happy to rake you over the coals. We do have a one on one forum for just that.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
Realize, since you are

Realize, since you are calling us out that this will be at least semi-formal. The subject will be WELL defined and preferably narrow in scope, there will be an introduction, a set number of exchanges and a conclusion by all parties.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
You implied I was an idiot?

You implied I was an idiot? That wasn't nice.

Hm.  Well.. I didn't really define the parameters of the debate.. because I didn't really have any.  It was more half a joke... but I'd be happy to give it a round or 10.

How about what I consider to be a basic premise of RRS, theistic beliefs are not rationale.

If you care to refine the issue more, feel free.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Of course of course, I

Of course of course, I realize the need to be narrow and have ground rules.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Maybe a little more narrow..

Maybe a little more narrow.. a theistic belief in a God-figure based upon Christian theology can be rationale.  Up to you.

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote:You

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

You implied I was an idiot? That wasn't nice.

Hm.  Well.. I didn't really define the parameters of the debate.. because I didn't really have any.  It was more half a joke... but I'd be happy to give it a round or 10.

How about what I consider to be a basic premise of RRS, theistic beliefs are not rationale.

If you care to refine the issue more, feel free.

If you define which theist belief you intend to defend clearly, define what you consider rational (concretely, with examples, preferably) then sure, we can have a go. I  suggest an opening statement by each (you can have the honors), two rounds of rebuttal and conclusion. No post to exceed 2000 words (give or take, so long as lattitude is extended both ways - i.e. 2,500 words could pass, but 4,000 is just being a dick). Up to one week allowed for each response. Nobody else may post in said thread.

I would also like to appoint moderators, one of your choosing and one of mine, who are members of this forum as of today.

Feel free to add or amend, this is simply a suggestion.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Sounds good. I'll choose

Sounds good. I'll choose Hammy, trusting he can keep objective. Smiling

As for defining what theistic belief and what I consider rationale.. I should define so now? Just to make sure we got a basic foundation to start off on?

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote:Sounds

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Sounds good. I'll choose Hammy, trusting he can keep objective. Smiling

As for defining what theistic belief and what I consider rationale.. I should define so now? Just to make sure we got a basic foundation to start off on?

Sounds OK, in defining your position I would expect you would delinate a set of beliefs and their rationale - i.e. I believe Jesus is the son of god, because....., I believe God has these attributes, becuase....., etc. Then proceede to explain why such belief is rational. That is assumining you are Christian, what faith are you, btw?

Hamby is a good choice as a mod, he would have been mine as well. Since you already picked him, I'll likely go with Cap'n Pineapple or Rook.

But let's make the topic clear first. What, exactly, will be your position - and we can translate that into the topic.

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
One of these days posting

One of these days posting when i've had too much to drink is going to bite me in the ass, perhaps today is the day Eye-wink

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I would consider myself

I would consider myself Christian. 

Q: If I feel it is unnecessary to state the attributes of God or why Jesus is the Son of God for the purpose of this debate, need I still do it?

I would be happy to give what I define as theistic beliefs in general and what it means to be rationale, but I don't think my specific theistic beliefs are important to the issue.  If you think, however, that it might prove helpful, I'll be happy to do so.

My position is what I stated before, but, to put it another way, "A theistic belief can be rationally held."  Pretty simple.  But.. as was mentioned above, if I need to be more specific, I guess I can argue "christian theology can be a rationally held belief system."

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just so you know, I'll

Just so you know, I'll moderate a debate, but ONLY after I agree that we have a proper debate topic, and that we have a clear understanding of who's claiming what.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote:I would

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

I would consider myself Christian. 

Q: If I feel it is unnecessary to state the attributes of God or why Jesus is the Son of God for the purpose of this debate, need I still do it?

No,not specifically, but you do need to be frank and candid in what you believe, and define it in detail. Otherwise, I'd have nothing to respond to. I will be responding to your position, so if you dilute your position you may win the day, but it will be fairly obvious that you've lost the war. So, simply be honest. Explain Christianity and the tennets of the faith. You can interject your own take on it, but at some point we would need to have a consensus of what Christianity is and support for such a consensus - be it the Bible or prominent theologians. We need definitions we can BOTH agree on, otherwise we'll simply bitch about interpretation and semantics for thousands of words. Perhaps it would be best if we work that out in PM.

Quote:
I would be happy to give what I define as theistic beliefs in general and what it means to be rationale, but I don't think my specific theistic beliefs are important to the issue.  If you think, however, that it might prove helpful, I'll be happy to do so.
I'm not concerned in gerneralities, but specifics. We need to both be working from the same place to get anywhere. To do that, we need to agree on what we are talking about.

Quote:
My position is what I stated before, but, to put it another way, "A theistic belief can be rationally held."  Pretty simple.  But.. as was mentioned above, if I need to be more specific, I guess I can argue "christian theology can be a rationally held belief system."

Well, let's get speific and say that "A Christian belief can be rationally held". Now let's simply talk off line on what you define as Christianity and what is rational. Then we'll both be on the same page.

Edit: These definitions can and should be posted prior to our debate, so everyone else will know where we are coming from and interpret what we say from the same place.

I'm going to bed, but will be online tomorrow night.

If the peanut gallery has suggestions on definitions, it certainly would not hurt.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Heh.  I'm actually out for

Heh.  I'm actually out for a few days.. probably until Sunday.  But I will get back to this upon my return. Happy 4th of July all.

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote:Heh. 

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Heh.  I'm actually out for a few days.. probably until Sunday.  But I will get back to this upon my return. Happy 4th of July all.

Me too, things will work themselves out, have faith Eye-wink

This is going to be a learning experience for both of us, and it really is about time this particular subject gets hashed out. I'm looking forward to it.

And I am sincere about that.

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Just so you know, I'll

Quote:
Just so you know, I'll moderate a debate, but ONLY after I agree that we have a proper debate topic, and that we have a clear understanding of who's claiming what.

Bravo!

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
This could be interesting.

This could be interesting. Hopefully this will come to fruition, although, I have some doubts with respect to this post with gottheflu where we had a similar, informal, undefined debate. I think the definition of concepts, terms, and stances before the debate is essential, yet probably the most difficult, since rational seems to have different meanings to different people. Semantics to some, serious philosophical differences, or simply denial of what words mean to others. Personally, I think we won, but the terms were never defined in the beginning to a degree of mutual satisfaction, and that was the majority of the battle.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote: As for

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

As for defining what theistic belief and what I consider rationale..

You do know that "rationale" and "rational" are two different things, right? I mean, I don't normally get on people about spelling, but you've made the same mistake three times in this thread.

I just thought you should know the difference before you get into a debate.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I guess I can argue

Quote:

I guess I can argue "christian theology can be a rationally held belief system."

I guess you can't, at least not without shredding every dictionary in the world and executing every reasonably literate person first so that no one can point out your woeful lack of understanding of the words "theology", "belief" and "system" (see the clue below if you've suddenly wondered if you are actually talking shit. If not, prepare yourself for the shortest debate in history).

I recommend you take more than a few days (a few decades perhaps?) to learn English first. Then maybe you will at least be able to propose a debate that makes sense linguistically, semantically and logically, whatever about your ability to prosecute it. And, as the previous poster charitably pointed out to you, a debate concerning rationality of views should at least be conducted by someone who knows the difference between "rational" and "rationale".

Clue: Anything ending with "ology" is the study of something, not the something itself.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
Just an FYI, I'm currently

Just an FYI, I'm currently on vacation. I will be back to the states this Friday. Sorry for not checking in earlier as I intended to, but Rum Runners and Jose Quervo do rule the day.

Right now, I'm on the WiFi at the hotel, because the people I came down here with apparently do not know how to handle their liquor and are sleeping quietly at the moment (seriously, it's only 10PMm just cause we've been drinkin g all day since 11 is not excuse). I on the other hand am drunk and beliggerant. Tis a shame this debate thing hasn't already started, cause you'd probably get some interesting shit from me at the momenent.

Happy 4th all.

Mick
User is offlineOffline
 I'd be interested in

I'd be interested in arguing for something like an ultimate being but nothing of the Abrahamic conception.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Flying Spaggheti Monster

The Flying Spaggheti Monster can always do with some new champions, Mick.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:This could be

Quote:
This could be interesting. Hopefully this will come to fruition, although, I have some doubts with respect to this post with gottheflu where we had a similar, informal, undefined debate. I think the definition of concepts, terms, and stances before the debate is essential, yet probably the most difficult, since rational seems to have different meanings to different people. Semantics to some, serious philosophical differences, or simply denial of what words mean to others. Personally, I think we won, but the terms were never defined in the beginning to a degree of mutual satisfaction, and that was the majority of the battle.

Very good point.

And I'll try not to get the flu.

Quote:
You do know that "rationale" and "rational" are two different things, right? I mean, I don't normally get on people about spelling, but you've made the same mistake three times in this thread.

I just thought you should know the difference before you get into a debate.

Thanks Geirj.

I actually do know that they are two different things.. I just don't pay attention some time.. or, if I get stuck in a habit, don't take the time to correct myself.

But thanks, I do appreciate you pointing it out, I'll be sure to pay more attention to it in the future.

Quote:
I guess you can't, at least not without shredding every dictionary in the world and executing every reasonably literate person first so that no one can point out your woeful lack of understanding of the words "theology", "belief" and "system" (see the clue below if you've suddenly wondered if you are actually talking shit. If not, prepare yourself for the shortest debate in history).

I recommend you take more than a few days (a few decades perhaps?) to learn English first. Then maybe you will at least be able to propose a debate that makes sense linguistically, semantically and logically, whatever about your ability to prosecute it. And, as the previous poster charitably pointed out to you, a debate concerning rationality of views should at least be conducted by someone who knows the difference between "rational" and "rationale".

I will continue being polite towards you.. even though I have previously asked you to refrain from making post like this, i.e., that add nothing to the thread and only backhand an insult towards me.

Quote:
Just an FYI, I'm currently on vacation. I will be back to the states this Friday. Sorry for not checking in earlier as I intended to, but Rum Runners and Jose Quervo do rule the day.

Right now, I'm on the WiFi at the hotel, because the people I came down here with apparently do not know how to handle their liquor and are sleeping quietly at the moment (seriously, it's only 10PMm just cause we've been drinkin g all day since 11 is not excuse). I on the other hand am drunk and beliggerant. Tis a shame this debate thing hasn't already started, cause you'd probably get some interesting shit from me at the momenent.

Happy 4th all.

Ya, I just got back from Yosemite... hiked up half dome, worst idea ever.

Let me know when you return.  We'll clear up the last bit of issues and get this show on the road.

Quote:
I'd be interested in arguing for something like an ultimate being but nothing of the Abrahamic conception.

We'll see how it goes.. I think it is easier to argue for a general "ultimate being".. but, I thought something a bit more narrow would be interesting.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I will continue being

Quote:

I will continue being polite towards you.. even though I have previously asked you to refrain from making post like this, i.e., that add nothing to the thread and only backhand an insult towards me.

What I was adding to the thread was the sound advice not to compound your problems in using English (due to inattention and habit, as you seem to think) with making a public ass of yourself. If you interpret such altruism on my part as rudeness then you simply have one more problem to add to your tally.

I agree with you about hiking the Half Dome in Yosemite. I also had that really bad idea a few years back and the few photos I came back with from the haul, though stunning, are still more inclined to remind my muscles of the agony they endured afterwards than they are to make me go all nostalgic for the trip.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Wait... was the purpose of

Wait... was the purpose of your point to reiterate greij's point about my use of rationale and rational? Or about something else?

Because.. upon reading your post again, it seems that you're trying to point out a problem that doesn't exist... something about the possible misuse of the word "theology."

Quote:
I guess you can't, at least not without shredding every dictionary in the world and executing every reasonably literate person first so that no one can point out your woeful lack of understanding of the words "theology", "belief" and "system" (see the clue below if you've suddenly wondered if you are actually talking shit. If not, prepare yourself for the shortest debate in history).

. . .

Clue: Anything ending with "ology" is the study of something, not the something itself.

the·ol·o·gy

n.   pl. the·ol·o·gies

1. The study of the nature of God and religious truth; rational inquiry into religious questions.
   2. A system or school of opinions concerning God and religious questions: Protestant theology; Jewish theology.

If that was the case--for the sake of premption--I post the defintion above.  There is nothing wrong with the phrase "christian theology"; it makes sense "linguistically, semantically, and logically."

As for half dome.. ya, probably will never do that again.  Of course, that's what I said last time too.. so who knows.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Listen, you're obviously a

Listen, you're obviously a little tired or something after your exertions over the weekend, so maybe you should really heed my advice stated earlier.

When you can tell the difference between a belief system and the study of a belief system then - and only then - should you get out of your bed and come back to the computer. Even then, I would refrain from pressing too many keys, and I would definitely refrain, if I were you, from challenging intelligent people to a debate.

I'll set your proposed debate in several different contexts, if it helps you see the light;

I guess I can argue "sociology can be a rational society."

I guess I can argue "speleology can be a rationally held cave."

I guess I can argue "piscatology can be a rational fish."

I guess I can argue "parthenology can be a rationally held virgin."

I guess I can argue "scatology can be a rational lump of crap."

See the difference now? No? Ok - here's one to get your head around: A christian theologian doesn't have to be christian. He or she could even be completely atheistic (though why they'd be then bothered to study claptrap is anyone's guess).

Still having problems?

I think it's the second bit of the definition you posted that's confusing you. When that definition says "system" it doesn't mean "belief system" - it means the system of examining opinions concerning god. A study of the question, in other words, not a philosophy.

So you take that rest I advised, now. And try Nurofen Gel on the leg muscles if they're at you. It's what I used after that trek and it worked a treat!

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I think it's the

Quote:
I think it's the second bit of the definition you posted that's confusing you. When that definition says "system" it doesn't mean "belief system" - it means the system of examining opinions concerning god. A study of the question, in other words, not a philosophy.

I was focusing more on the "school of opinions concerning God" which would seem, in the definition's sentence, to limit the definition of "system."

But I see what you're saying now and I am inclined to agree.  If not incorrect, at the very least, can be confusing.  So, in the future, I will try and remember to write "christian theology can form the basis of a rationally held belief system."

That being said, my english is fine. Smiling

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:"christian theology

Quote:

"christian theology can form the basis of a rationally held belief system."

I'm sending you the bill for the repair of the rather deep hole in my wall which I have just acquired from rapidly beating my head against it in exasperation.

If you're really going to insist on wandering around out of bed in your debilitated state and launching yourself into debate with people who eat woolly thinkers for breakfast can you please at least indicate that you understand (which I believe you now do) that theology is the study of a belief system, and therefore cannot be its basis?

How about - "I propose that the belief system with which christian theology concerns itself is rational"?

It is at least semantically correct.

And wrong, of course ... but that's a problem you have that I seemingly can't help you with.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I do not find this

I do not find this particular debate important.  In order that I may create less mental anguish for you, I will refrain from using the phrase in the aforementioned ways. 

That being said, I think my rewrite of the phrase was correct.  You seem to disagree.  So be it.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gods make their own

Gods make their own importance, don't you know. Read your Kavanagh.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Indeed they do.

Indeed they do.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good to see you amongst the

Good to see you amongst the pantheists, Rhad. Not that I'll join you, but it is a step in the right direction (and sort of fucks up any monotheist argument you might have been preparing).

Anyway, well done - your English and common sense are coming on in leaps and bounds.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Explain Christianity

Quote:
Explain Christianity and the tennets of the faith. You can interject your own take on it, but at some point we would need to have a consensus of what Christianity is and support for such a consensus - be it the Bible or prominent theologians.

I will explain my take on Christianity.  I don't think there is a need to attach the take onto a particular theologian.

If there is some hole that needs filling for the purpose of the debate, I will fill it upon request.

Quote:
We need definitions we can BOTH agree on, otherwise we'll simply bitch about interpretation and semantics for thousands of words.

Indeed.

So, let's start with the easiest:

rational: definition/-adjective
1. reasonable

reasonable: definition/-adjective
1. agreeable to reason or sound judgment

agreeable: definition/-adjective
1. to one's liking

reason: definition/-noun
3. sound judgment

sound: definition/-adjective
3. competent, sensible, or valid

judgment: definition/-adjective
4. the forming of an opinion, estimate, notion, or conclusion, as from circumstances present to the mind.

competent: definition/-adjective
2. adequate but not exceptional.

sensible: definition/-adjective
1. having, using, or showing good sense or sound judgment

valid: definition/-adjective
1.  sound; just; well-founded

well-founded: definition/-adjective
1. having a foundation in fact; based on good reasons, information, etc.

reason: definition/-noun
1. the basis or motive for an action, decision, or conviction.

good: definition/-adjective
11. sound or valid.

foundation: definition/-noun
1. the basis or groundwork of anything

fact: definition/-noun
2. something known to exist or to have happened.

having: definition/-verb
1. to possess; own; hold for use; contain

No matter what I did.. there was no way I could get rid of all the loaded terms, so I will try to make up a definition that is agreeable to us both and still serves the purpose of this debate.

A belief can be rationally held if it is (1) based on (a) something known to exist or have happened; or (b) good reason; and is not (2) inconsistent with (a) itself (i.e., self-contradictory), (b) other contemporaneously held beliefs, (c) or something known to exist or to have happened.

Still some loaded terms exist, like "good reason" . . . so I will try to avoid using the "good reason" rationale.  Have a solution? Perhaps "good reason" can be defined as (1) the basis or motive for an action, decision, or conviction that is not inconsistently used or not used as the basis or motive for another similar action, decision, or conviction.

How does this sound?

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Something else that might

Something else that might need to be defined:

based-on: definition/-verb

Since I can't seem to find a straight definition, I will propose one and if you accept it will be used.

X1 is based-on X2 if X1 substantially (1) contains, (2) possesses, (3) is situated on, (4) or uses, elements of X2.  e.g., Cinderella Man is based on a true story; the reserve bunker is based on American Soil; the school's architecture is based on a gothic design; the witness's testimony as to the criminal's state of mind was based on his observation earlier in the day.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
"Are you not entertained?!

"Are you not entertained?! Are YOU not entertained?!?!" - Maximus

It is Friday.