Morally Bankrupt Christians wouldn't lift a finger to stop Fascism?

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Morally Bankrupt Christians wouldn't lift a finger to stop Fascism?

Obviously I'm not talking about all Christians, but there's something to be said for not wanting to be around those who are morally bankrupt. I say this because of some thoughts I've had recently:

First, I think if the only thing preventing you from killing or stealing or raping is your belief in a person God that rewards and punishes, then you simply don't know the difference between right and wrong and all you're capable of doing is what you're told.

I was listening to the ACA's (Atheist Community of Austin's) 1.5 hour cable show on Google Video the other day. They were discussing the Dominionists, and a woman- a Christian- called in and said that clearly the Dominionists didn't represent Christianity but that God would strike anyone who falsely represents Christianity down and no human intervention was necessary. In other words, this woman got the point that fascists are trying to take over the country and said "Well, God will stop it." She wouldn't lift a finger because of her faith.

Like prayer would have stopped the Nazis.

Well that made me mad. "First they came for the communists and I did not speak out because I was not a communist. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist, and then then they came for the Jews, but I did not speak out because I was not a Jew. Then they came for, and there was no one left to speak for me."

Sound familiar?

So why the hell shouldn't I be prejudiced against Christians, with this kind of morally bankrupt crap? Someone tells me they're a Christian, and I don't feel comfortable until I know that they're not THAT kind of Christian, which unfortunately I have to assume to be the default position.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
The next time I meet someone

The next time I meet someone who tells me God will take care of a problem, I'm going to tell that person that for every one like them, there are six million who could die tomorrow, or something like that.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Next time they say god will

Next time they say god will take care of it, ask them when god will take care of the problem of religious leaders molesting children.  That has been going on unabated for centuries and continues to this day.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
How do we deal with the

How do we deal with the retarded sick , as they are the majority ?????     

LOVE ,  in all it's colors, is the only answer I can think of ......