Pusscifism

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pusscifism

Hi, I'm Zack and I'm an atheist.

I've been reading some forum posts that have me more than a little concerned. It seems that violence of any sort is absolutely verboten to some people, no matter what the situation. Personally I find this ironic, intellectual rebels ready and willing to be subjugated. To some extent I understand why people who find the concept of an afterlife at least questionable, would take issue with actions that have potentially final, irrevocable consequences. What I don't understand is the inability of pacifists to see the bigger picture. We are in a continual struggle here in America with Evangelicals who want to return this country to it's "Christian roots". In the rest of the world Islam is the fastest growing religion, and it would appear that their most motivated leaders do not have tolerance in mind. If either should succeed we may find ourselves in a situation where violence is our only option.

In one of the accounts Sapient provided  regarding the altercation  with Greydon Square ( http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/14187 ) it was revealed that the two witnesses Greydon brought with him ran to get "help". I'm no mathematician or military strategist, but I think it's fair to say they were the help they needed. It would appear that there were at least four people present, Sapient, Greydon, and the two witnesses. When Greydon attacked that left two people to restrain him. Once Sapient was free, if he was in any condition to do so, he could have helped in restraining his assailant. Hell, even just one witness could have stayed behind. How many people does it take to get help? Who were they going to get? The cops? That's great, but how does that help the victim in the meantime? Pacifism allows bad things to happen while looking to someone else to make it stop. Just last night I watched a video on Nothingtoxic.com of a guy getting beaten to death by a group of people. It took a minute maybe two. One well placed punch or kick could kill you and these people left Greydon to his business while they got someone else to intervene for them.

Maybe they were scared. Maybe when fight or flight kicked in they chose flight. Maybe if we are intelligent enough to reason out all the situations in which violence is acceptable, we are intelligent enough to tune our instincts towards decisive and effective action when unwarranted violence occurs. It's my understanding that Greydon is bi-polar, but despite his personal issues in the heat of the moment someone should have hit him over the head with a chair or something.

In another post regarding first time rapists ( http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/14230 ) a number of people expressed disgust with the idea of mutilation and death sentences for these people. Even for repeat offenders and particularly heinous crimes. While I agree that people shouldn't suffer punishments that offer no hope for redemption the first time, we have to admit that at some point it doesn't make sense to sustain career criminals. Since we are not beholden to a higher power (Karma is bull shit too.) there is no reason to offer forgiveness to people who cannot or will not get their shit together. As with Greydon, if you know that going off of your meds will make you unstable and potentially violent, and you decide while in a rational and cogent state of mind to do so, you are absolutely accountable for your actions.

In regards to assassinations of certain political leaders, I feel that this too is justified under certain circumstances.  The  murders  of Dr. King,  John and Robert Kennedy, Ghandi, Malcolm X, Abraham Lincoln, etc.. were unjustified in that they were committed by people or groups whose aims were criminal, oppressive, or religiously misguided. I defy anyone however, to tell me how it would have been wrong to assassinate the likes of Bin laden, Hitler (Don't bring that "you mentioned Hitler so your point is invalid" shit), Stalin, etc.. during their respective ascent to power. Some may argue that someone possibly worse might have taken their place. I say there is only one way to find out. I would rather try to prevent people like this from gaining power and influence and see who fills the void, than allow them to reach a point of notoriety and potency. We missed several opportunities to kill Bin Laden some ten years ago. To do so now will be a hollow victory (Zawahiri as well) because of his successes and popularity and the Muslim concept of honor and martyrdom. His message has been spread and we failed to prevent it. I fully agree that we missed an even more important opportunity In our handling of the Soviet/Afghan conflict, but that's spilled milk and so is 9/11. Now what?

What do we do in future instances? Is it really acceptable to stand by in periods of violence because you don't believe in violence? If you're going to get someone  to stop the violence for you, shouldn't you just take reasonable action yourself? Does anyone think that tyrants and maniacs will stop because you asked them to?

If certain religious groups get their way it's going to be very difficult to be an out and proud free thinker. They are tireless in pushing their agenda on other people. Even if reason wins, it will require constant maintenance. If we lose we may find all legal recourse shut down shortly thereafter.

What will you do when the shit goes down?

"Faith, Faith is an island in the setting sun,
but proof, proof is the bottom line for everyone."
Proof, Paul Simon

Nothing this hard should taste so beefy.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
nutxaq wrote:What will you

nutxaq wrote:

What shit, exactly, and where and against whom?

If you're alluding to the possibility that, for example, some kind of (violent) war is declared on atheists, and you're wondering if we'd pick up arms to defend ourselves, I think the answer would be a resounding yes. It's actually been discussed on these boards before.

If you're wondering why atheists seem to lean towards the pacifist side, I suspect that's because our theist friends have been doing the violence thing for, well, millenia now and we feel like that's maybe not working out so well.

There are myriad reasons for armed conflict, but one of the big ones is a difference of opinion on who has the best invisible friend.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote:If you're

geirj wrote:

If you're alluding to the possibility that, for example, some kind of (violent) war is declared on atheists, and you're wondering if we'd pick up arms to defend ourselves, I think the answer would be a resounding yes. It's actually been discussed on these boards before.

Apparently in Sapient's case they didn't.

Really my question is geared toward those that seem to place a greater value on being the bigger person than on serving the greater good. I have seen several posts in which people claim they would employ force where necessary. I was watching the HBO miniseries on John Adams and it was interesting to see how Quaker sensibilities stood in the way of progress. If push comes to shove, what exactly is the rational justification for this philosophy?

geirj wrote:

If you're wondering why atheists seem to lean towards the pacifist side, I suspect that's because our theist friends have been doing the violence thing for, well, millenia now and we feel like that's maybe not working out so well.

There are myriad reasons for armed conflict, but one of the big ones is a difference of opinion on who has the best invisible friend.

It's seems to have served their purposes very well.

I'm not advocating any unwarranted first strike notions, but in the face of reasonable, verifiable evidence I think preemptive actions are warranted and even demanded.

Proof, Paul Simon

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't advocate violence

I wouldn't advocate violence as a means of resolving differences of opinion, but like it or not, it's a fact of life that's not going away.  As long as people have free will and the ability to be violent, someone, somewhere, will choose to do so... it's just as inevitable as rolling a 1 on a 100-sided die after 1 million rolls.  There's a meme floating around society that violence is always wrong, and I suspect that meme could be traced to Christianity.  So, what do they tell people to do who are in dangerous situations?  Call the police, get help, don't try to fight back yourself... leave it to the authorities.  If for no other reason, this is a bad idea because a lot of bad things can happen in the time it takes the authorities to show up.  I would recommend that everyone take some self-defense training... hope that you never have to use it, but be prepared in case you do.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
nutxaq wrote:Apparently in

nutxaq wrote:

Since only 4 people were in the room when the incident occured, it's difficult for us to say whether or not the two witnesses did the right thing. When adrenaline kicks in, split-second decisions are made - and they're not always right. But perhaps they did do the right thing - if help was very close, and neither one felt they could help Brian physically in any way, then having two people shouting for help is probably more attention-getting than just one. In any event, it's a stretch to overlay the reaction of those two people to atheism as a whole.

nutxaq wrote:

Really my question is geared toward those that seem to place a greater value on being the bigger person than on serving the greater good.

This is something of a false dichotomy. I doubt every atheist believes that being the bigger person = nonviolence.

nutxaq wrote:

That's debatable. Religion may be in the driver's seat now, but there's a pretty good sense that the downward spiral is beginning for them.

nutxaq wrote:

I'm not advocating any unwarranted first strike notions, but in the face of reasonable, verifiable evidence I think preemptive actions are warranted and even demanded.

What are you advocating? Raising an atheist army?

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote:nutxaq

geirj wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

Since only 4 people were in the room when the incident occured, it's difficult for us to say whether or not the two witnesses did the right thing. When adrenaline kicks in, split-second decisions are made - and they're not always right. But perhaps they did do the right thing - if help was very close, and neither one felt they could help Brian physically in any way, then having two people shouting for help is probably more attention-getting than just one. In any event, it's a stretch to overlay the reaction of those two people to atheism as a whole.

I'm not attributing this to atheism. I'm attributing it to pacifism. According to the witness accounts I read there was furniture present that could have been used to subdue Greydon. My point is that perhaps we need to gear our reactions towards something more proactive than everyone running for help. Surely, at a convention it couldn't be that far away, therefore a whole lotta screaming and yelling coupled with the sounds of struggle should be sufficient in attracting attention.

geirj wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

Really my question is geared toward those that seem to place a greater value on being the bigger person than on serving the greater good.

This is something of a false dichotomy. I doubt every atheist believes that being the bigger person = nonviolence.

Again you're assuming I'm attributing pacifism to atheists. I think pacifism is a principal that fails people from all walks of life.

geirj wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

That's debatable. Religion may be in the driver's seat now, but there's a pretty good sense that the downward spiral is beginning for them.

Will we allow them to take us down with them or will we rush the cockpit? Imo the apocalypse is very real as a self fulfilling prophecy.

geirj wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

What are you advocating? Raising an atheist army?

Would that be wrong? It might lead some to questions of our peaceful intentions but in the instance of things getting out of hand at least we won't be caught with our pants down.

Proof, Paul Simon

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The Atheist Panthers sounds

The Atheist Panthers sounds good to me. I seriously don't think pacifism came from Christianity - Christianity has been anything put peaceful for most of it's history - Eastern Religions are more pacifist. A few sects of Christianity are pacifist, but not even allowing self defense is extremely rare (only ones I can think of are the Amish.)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Violence is only excusable

Violence is only excusable as a counter to violence, and even then one has to be very careful in defining the threat, let alone in deciding the counter-measure. As one of the people who you mention voiced opposition to the sadistic trend amongst some of the posters regarding the rape question and whom you claim you don't understand, let me assure you that I am most definitely not a pacifist in all circumstances. However ineffectual it might have proved in the past I have resorted to violence when attacked physically, and I dare anyone to do otherwise or claim to do otherwise under direct and immediate assault.

But that isn't even the point of your question, if the last bit is anything to go by. Are you saying that the religious are on the verge of inflicting institutionalised violence against atheists?

What planet are you on?

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:The

MattShizzle wrote:

The Atheist Panthers sounds good to me.

Our motto could be :Care to test your hypothesis?

Proof, Paul Simon

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
nutxaq wrote:In one of the

nutxaq wrote:

In one of the accounts Sapient provided  regarding the altercation  with Greydon Square ( http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/14187 ) it was revealed that the two witnesses Greydon brought with him ran to get "help". I'm no mathematician or military strategist, but I think it's fair to say they were the help they needed. It would appear that there were at least four people present, Sapient, Greydon, and the two witnesses. When Greydon attacked that left two people to restrain him. Once Sapient was free, if he was in any condition to do so, he could have helped in restraining his assailant. Hell, even just one witness could have stayed behind. How many people does it take to get help? Who were they going to get? The cops? That's great, but how does that help the victim in the meantime? Pacifism allows bad things to happen while looking to someone else to make it stop. Just last night I watched a video on Nothingtoxic.com of a guy getting beaten to death by a group of people. It took a minute maybe two. One well placed punch or kick could kill you and these people left Greydon to his business while they got someone else to intervene for them.

That isn't pacifism. That's the bystander effect, also known as the social dispersion effect. It has nothing to do with a person's belief about violence, but with their willingness to help in a situation in which there is more than one person to help. As a rule, a person will only help in a violent situation if they feel that they are personally held accountable for helping, whether they're a quaker or a right wing gun-nut.

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:But that

Nordmann wrote:

But that isn't even the point of your question, if the last bit is anything to go by. Are you saying that the religious are on the verge of inflicting institutionalised violence against atheists?

What planet are you on?

It's happened before. Given the tone of some of the hate mail received here and on richarddawkins.net, it's clearly not beyond some people to act out in such away. Unless you get your news from the Disney Channel it should be self evident.

During WWII (oh no not the Nazi's again) the residents of a town in Poland slaughtered their Jewish neighbors when the opportunity presented itself. There last objection was that many Jew's performed important trades. When it was pointed out that all of those positions were also covered by Christians it was game on.  I live on a planet where people fly planes into buildings. A planet where those blinded by faith insist a scientific "theory" with no evidence and rife with fallacies should be taught in science class. A country where I stand a better chance of gaining public office if I'm gay than I do for being rational.

Yes, I fully believed that the apparatus that protects us could come down at any time if we're not vigilant.

Proof, Paul Simon

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
theotherguy wrote:nutxaq

theotherguy wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

That isn't pacifism. That's the bystander effect, also known as the social dispersion effect. It has nothing to do with a person's belief about violence, but with their willingness to help in a situation in which there is more than one person to help. As a rule, a person will only help in a violent situation if they feel that they are personally held accountable for helping, whether they're a quaker or a right wing gun-nut.

Fair enough. Are you aware of any studies that show any correlation between attitudes towards violence and the actions people take when confronted with theses circumstances? I think we're over due here in the states for some good samaritan laws.

Proof, Paul Simon

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Then you just need to pay a

Then you just need to pay a little more attention to prioritisation and analysis than you currently do.

You have isolated real examples of stupidity and intolerance but have then drawn the wrong conclusions. You reduce it all down to violence - and the 9/11 thing fits snugly into the precept - but it's not necessarily all something that will be expressed, or resolved, with violence.

The teaching of superstition in the classroom as fact, for example, will not in itself result in violence. Nor will it need violence to stop it. It needs something more difficult to achieve - the negation of the political mileage its advocates currently experience and benefit from in promoting it. This website is one method of countering such fallacies, but it is even more effective that you as an individual not waste any opportunity to open your mouth and object. Use your vote, and get others to use their votes. But most importantly, speak up - not here where everyone agrees with you, but publicly.

The planes into buildings thing is also something that won't be solved by labelling the perpetrators and their fellow fundamentalists simply as religious nutters. They are that, but the problem has a huge political dimension that such easy analysis avoids. Again - get in there and make sure that your rational viewpoint, which must by definition be politically rational too, gets represented by the guys who make decisions on your behalf.

Don't think that violence solves anything. It's a symptom of breakdown. Get involved and make that breakdown stop happening - or shut up and stop whining about something that you don't have the balls to make change.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fistly, hi Zack.nutxaq

Fistly, hi Zack.

nutxaq wrote:

I've been reading some forum posts that have me more than a little concerned. It seems that violence of any sort is absolutely verboten to some people, no matter what the situation. Personally I find this ironic, intellectual rebels ready and willing to be subjugated.

I'm concerned about alot of things. Violence is one of them. I label myself a pacifist at times. It's just a word, it is not an imperative. I am certainly not willing to be subjugated by anyone, neither by physical force, nor by intimidation of any kind. You can't infer that from a person being against violence.

nutxaq wrote:

To some extent I understand why people who find the concept of an afterlife at least questionable, would take issue with actions that have potentially final, irrevocable consequences. What I don't understand is the inability of pacifists to see the bigger picture.

Knowing that there is no afterlife means taking someone else's life is the single most terrible thing you can do. Neither God, nor the devil will be taking care of the judgement of someone that I kill. I am the one imposing the irrevocable judgement that that person derserves to cease to be at that moment. That is no small judgement, and thinking long and hard about that is certainly not ignoring the big picture, if you ask me.

nutxaq wrote:

We are in a continual struggle here in America with Evangelicals who want to return this country to it's "Christian roots". In the rest of the world Islam is the fastest growing religion, and it would appear that their most motivated leaders do not have tolerance in mind. If either should succeed we may find ourselves in a situation where violence is our only option.

If violence is the only option then who cares what people here think? If there is just one option then I will either die, in which case my opinion will be irrelevant, or I will act contrary to any pacifist stance I may or may not have held in the past. And, firstly, I am not in America, secondly, the fastest growing the religion in the world may be Islam, but the fastest growing stance on religion and spirituality would appear to be no religious affiliation. Setting up a false picture of "America = screwed by xtians, and rest of world = screwed by Islam" serves only to add fuel to the flames, and say there is only "fight or die". Maybe there is a myriad of possible "don't fight, but still live" scenarios. All I do is consider those as well. Once you can prove without a doubt that violence really IS the only option, then you can come back to me with that, and see what I think then.

nutxaq wrote:

In one of the accounts Sapient provided  regarding the altercation  with Greydon Square it was revealed that the two witnesses Greydon brought with him ran to get "help"... When Greydon attacked that left two people to restrain him. Once Sapient was free, if he was in any condition to do so, he could have helped in restraining his assailant.

Restraining someone is not violence. What if someone told you that they were a pacifist, that I will NEVER under any circumstances use violence for ANY means, but was more than willing to physically restrain someone to stop THEM from comiting violence, but would never ever strike them? It is probably very difficult, but if this hypothetical pacifist was some master of Aikido or something, and really could restrain even a big person, would you still take offense at their pacifism, if you had witnessed them act with courage and determination in hairy situations, but always refusing to actually hurt anyone?

Because if you take offense at people's cowardess then that may be valid, but it is an entirely different matter.

(As an aside, I have followed the whole Greydon/Brian thing, but I don't want to comment on the specific situation. I think we ought to treat it as a personal matter between Greydon and Brian, and I certainly don't want to sit on the other side of the  world and comment smartly on a tragic event between two good friends, who I don't know personally. Insofar as it affects the community at large it has allready been extensivelly covered by everyone involved, and by now it seems every geezer with a keyboard has divolged their oh-so-sage oppinion on it.)

nutxaq wrote:

Pacifism allows bad things to happen while looking to someone else to make it stop.

If you are looking to others to act with violent means, then you are not a pacifist, because then you are not objecting to someone else being violent, and then you are not a pacifist, just someone not willing to throw yourself into the mix (that would be a coward, I suppose).

Oh, and also:

Warmongering allows bad things to happen, period.

So then we are no further.

nutxaq wrote:

While I agree that people shouldn't suffer punishments that offer no hope for redemption the first time, we have to admit that at some point it doesn't make sense to sustain career criminals. Since we are not beholden to a higher power (Karma is bull shit too.) there is no reason to offer forgiveness to people who cannot or will not get their shit together.

There are two different issues here: Harsh punishment (torture) and Death sentance. To start with the death sentance, yes, of course from a rational standpoint, with no moral, but only a practical consideration it is of course much more efficient to just shoot someone in the back of the head. Bullets are cheap, and a lifetime prisonsentance is very very expensive indeed.  And if a particular criminal's brain doesn't work, then sure, maybe it never will, and he'll keep being a psyko killer forever.

But I'm not worried about his mental health, as much as I am worried about mine, and the rest of society. If we devalue human life to such and extent, that he is just a broken cog in the machinery that is society, if he is just a cancer that needs to be cut away, then why not remove ALL the defunctive cogs? The handicapped, the unemployed, the political opposition? The ones who won't conform to their own society's social norms, and therefore causes unnecessary strife?

Here in Denmark the religious social norm is atheism, so I'm good, but in America? Well, have fun in the Death Camp. I can't really object when they put you there, cause after all they are just curing their own society of a cancer that causes unnecessary strife.

nutxaq wrote:

As with Greydon, if you know that going off of your meds will make you unstable and potentially violent, and you decide while in a rational and cogent state of mind to do so, you are absolutely accountable for your actions.

Do you know Greydon or Brian personally? Then please leave them out of your examples. I know Brian reads these boards, and maybe he won't like you using his personal experiences as a basis for drawing your own conclusions.

As far as I'm concerned, any person is accountable for their own actions, regardless of their mental health, but I also think that if you want to forgive and/or forget, then that is your choice too, and you are accountable for that choice, and the consequences it might have.

And, just as importantly, you are also accountable if you want to go the "eye for an eye" way. And if that leads to the (to me obvious) "...for an eye for an eye for an eye for an eye for an eye..." permanent digress, then you can be sure I'll be pointing that out to you, and you can hold me accountable for that too.

nutxaq wrote:

In regards to assassinations of certain political leaders...

As I understand it, what follows is about political assasination and justifiable war. Well, what can I say? I don't know if you've noticed, but this tends to happen quite alot in history. Some assasinations are good, and some aren't. Same with war. Some wars and assasinations are good FOR YOU if you are on the political side of whoever benefits. I am glad the allies won the Second World War. I imagine neo-nazies and fascists aren't.

People kill eachother all the time for all sorts of reasons. I can probably think of many situations in history that I, with the benefit of hindsight, can say were "good" wars, or "good" murders, but I cannot think of a hypothetical murder I can condone, because I can't foresee the future (no one can or ever will, because the future doesn't exist until it's here, and by then, it is the present, not the future... But I digress).

Even Bin Laden's murder is something I can't condone. Who's to say he would not just become even more powerful in death as a symbol of martyrdom (who's to say he isn't allready dead? I mean, he's only ever sending out audio tapes these days, which he's heirs in Al Quada may be faking, and the CIA can't admit that they have killed him because... well maybe because they used their new experimental death ray developed from technology recovered at the Roswell crash Eye-wink )

There is always a war going on somewhere, and murders happening all the time, but I am not directly responsible for that. I take responsibility for my OWN actions, and as of yet, I have stayed clear of violence for both moral and practical reasons. I pass judgement on others only insofar as I feel it that my oppinion is warranted. I don't know the motive for every single war and murder that has ever happened, and some of them may be warranted in the eyes of the ultimate objective obserser (but he doesn't exist, remember? Cause we are atheists, and ALL us mortals have a stake in all other mortals one way or the other, so we are never ULTIMATELY objective, only approximately objective).

All I know is that I find violence absolutely abhorent, and if you are going to convince me that it is reasonable in one particular instance, then I will need to know the specifics of that instance, and then maybe I will see the practical argument, but probably not the moral one. Wether I go with practicality or morality is anyone's guess. If the world is coming to an end by then, I'll probably go with practicality. Survival is, after all, a very very powerful impulse.

nutxaq wrote:

If certain religious groups get their way it's going to be very difficult to be an out and proud free thinker. They are tireless in pushing their agenda on other people. Even if reason wins, it will require constant maintenance. If we lose we may find all legal recourse shut down shortly thereafter.

I gotta say, I'm not much of a believer in the Apocalypse, and I really don't see the world going to hell in a handbasket like you do, but I think the more we are willing to condone violence, the more likely we are to end up there.

So if the shit really does hit the fan, I'll do what all animals do: adapt and survive, or, more likely: die.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'd definitely be against

I'd definitely be against that sort of "good samaritan" law. Not allof us are capable of handling such situations - physically and or mentally. I myself would be in no shape to handle that sort of thing physically. Not only that, but in even moderately stressful situations I either freeze up or panic.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
nutxaq wrote:Hi, I'm Zack

nutxaq wrote:

I've been reading some forum posts that have me more than a little concerned. It seems that violence of any sort is absolutely verboten to some people, no matter what the situation. Personally I find this ironic, intellectual rebels ready and willing to be subjugated. To some extent I understand why people who find the concept of an afterlife at least questionable, would take issue with actions that have potentially final, irrevocable consequences. What I don't understand is the inability of pacifists to see the bigger picture...

Hi Zack.  Nice to meet you.  I'm an atheist too.  And I, for one, consider the label 'pacifist' a derogatory term.  Actually I consider the stance of pacifism as being immoral.  I'm not at all adverse to fighting, war, and slaughtering each other.  Violence has settled more disagreements than any other method after all.  We are just animals to be sure.  And we kill each other for resources.  Much like the USA is doing today in the Middle East.  Resource: Oil.  If it comes down to you or my family I will rip your fucking throat out with my teeth.

Is that what you want us to say?  Well it's the truth.  I'd do it without a second thought.

nutxaq wrote:

Yeah.  Kind of fucked up sounding isn't that?  However since I don't know the exact details I will not assume a lot of shit.  That would be rather stupid, would it not?

nutxaq wrote:

Maybe they were scared. Maybe when fight or flight kicked in they chose flight. Maybe if we are intelligent enough to reason out all the situations in which violence is acceptable, we are intelligent enough to tune our instincts towards decisive and effective action when unwarranted violence occurs. It's my understanding that Greydon is bi-polar, but despite his personal issues in the heat of the moment someone should have hit him over the head with a chair or something.

I'm sure if you were there Brian would not have sustained a scratch.

nutxaq wrote:

I defy anyone however, to tell me how it would have been wrong to assassinate the likes of Bin laden, Hitler (Don't bring that "you mentioned Hitler so your point is invalid" shit), Stalin, etc.. during their respective ascent to power. Some may argue that someone possibly worse might have taken their place. I say there is only one way to find out.

I would not do it now, because they shaped the world you were born into except for Osama.  There is a good chance that you would not exist if WWII didn't play out the way it did.  Nor, most likely, would have the USA ever even been considered a "world power" at all.

The USA was considered inconsequential before WWII.  We were wallowing in the Great Depression.  Afterwards the US was considered a force to be reckoned with.

nutxaq wrote:

What do we do in future instances? Is it really acceptable to stand by in periods of violence because you don't believe in violence? If you're going to get someone  to stop the violence for you, shouldn't you just take reasonable action yourself? Does anyone think that tyrants and maniacs will stop because you asked them to?

Someone here does not "believe in violence"?  Really?  I think that violence is a pretty obvious fact of our existence. 

nutxaq wrote:

I'll use your body as a shield to protect myself from their attacks.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:Then you just

Nordmann wrote:

Then you just need to pay a little more attention to prioritisation and analysis than you currently do.

You have isolated real examples of stupidity and intolerance but have then drawn the wrong conclusions. You reduce it all down to violence - and the 9/11 thing fits snugly into the precept - but it's not necessarily all something that will be expressed, or resolved, with violence.

Not exactly. I am perfectly aware of some of the socio-political problems that are fueling our current troubles. In the matter of Afghanistan we had an opportunity after helping them oust the Soviets to build trust and prosperity. Instead we abandoned them to zealots with guns. After 9/11 we tried a diplomatic approach to apprehending Bin Laden. The Mullahs refused. What then? Force, and (regardless of our missteps) rightfully so.

I would argue that you're viewing events as they happen separately as if in a vacuum. Unfortunately they don't. We are trying to maintain diplomatic relations with nations "friendly" to us while fighting with radicals that originate from these same nations. It's like being on a sinking ship. You have to repair the gap in the hull (diplomacy), but someone still has to bail out the water (armed conflict). If you neglect either approach the situation can be exacerbated, perhaps beyond repair.

Nordmann wrote:

The teaching of superstition in the classroom as fact, for example, will not in itself result in violence. Nor will it need violence to stop it. It needs something more difficult to achieve - the negation of the political mileage its advocates currently experience and benefit from in promoting it. This website is one method of countering such fallacies, but it is even more effective that you as an individual not waste any opportunity to open your mouth and object. Use your vote, and get others to use their votes. But most importantly, speak up - not here where everyone agrees with you, but publicly.

I fully agree, and regularly do battle with fundies on their blogs as well as with a co-worker with his head on backwards.

Nordmann wrote:

The planes into buildings thing is also something that won't be solved by labelling the perpetrators and their fellow fundamentalists simply as religious nutters. They are that, but the problem has a huge political dimension that such easy analysis avoids. Again - get in there and make sure that your rational viewpoint, which must by definition be politically rational too, gets represented by the guys who make decisions on your behalf.

Don't think that violence solves anything. It's a symptom of breakdown. Get involved and make that breakdown stop happening - or shut up and stop whining about something that you don't have the balls to make change.

Perhaps you should change your statement to "Don't think that violence solves EVERYTHING."

As I pointed out I do speak out, as well as vote. In speaking to people who I fundamentally disagree with on varying political matters I'm very open. In speaking to people who I fundamentally agree with i am open about choosing a course of action to achieve our common goals. I find it interesting that when someone says something in opposition to another person it's "whining" and not simply sharing ones perspective.

Proof, Paul Simon

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good samaritan laws?Violence

Good samaritan laws?

Violence is a natural impulse in the human animal. But so is cowardess.

You can't object to people reacting with cowardess based on the emotional response that is your loathing for cowards, while simultaniously saying that I cannot object emotionally to the loathing that I have for violent people.

Again: a pacifist is not the same as a coward, nor is a person who ideologically condones violence automatically a couragious person.

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote: nutxaq

Nikolaj wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

We are in a continual struggle here in America with Evangelicals who want to return this country to it's "Christian roots". In the rest of the world Islam is the fastest growing religion, and it would appear that their most motivated leaders do not have tolerance in mind. If either should succeed we may find ourselves in a situation where violence is our only option.

If violence is the only option then who cares what people here think? If there is just one option then I will either die, in which case my opinion will be irrelevant, or I will act contrary to any pacifist stance I may or may not have held in the past. And, firstly, I am not in America, secondly, the fastest growing the religion in the world may be Islam, but the fastest growing stance on religion and spirituality would appear to be no religious affiliation. Setting up a false picture of "America = screwed by xtians, and rest of world = screwed by Islam" serves only to add fuel to the flames, and say there is only "fight or die". Maybe there is a myriad of possible "don't fight, but still live" scenarios. All I do is consider those as well. Once you can prove without a doubt that violence really IS the only option, then you can come back to me with that, and see what I think then.

Perhaps I should have qualified that I DO NOT believe in shoot first on all matters.

Nikolaj wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

In one of the accounts Sapient provided  regarding the altercation  with Greydon Square it was revealed that the two witnesses Greydon brought with him ran to get "help"... When Greydon attacked that left two people to restrain him. Once Sapient was free, if he was in any condition to do so, he could have helped in restraining his assailant.

Restraining someone is not violence. What if someone told you that they were a pacifist, that I will NEVER under any circumstances use violence for ANY means, but was more than willing to physically restrain someone to stop THEM from comiting violence, but would never ever strike them? It is probably very difficult, but if this hypothetical pacifist was some master of Aikido or something, and really could restrain even a big person, would you still take offense at their pacifism, if you had witnessed them act with courage and determination in hairy situations, but always refusing to actually hurt anyone?

Because if you take offense at people's cowardess then that may be valid, but it is an entirely different matter.

I agree. I can't shake the feeling though that pacifism for some people is cowardice posing as non-violence. Maybe that's just me.

Nikolaj wrote:

(As an aside, I have followed the whole Greydon/Brian thing, but I don't want to comment on the specific situation. I think we ought to treat it as a personal matter between Greydon and Brian, and I certainly don't want to sit on the other side of the  world and comment smartly on a tragic event between two good friends, who I don't know personally. Insofar as it affects the community at large it has allready been extensivelly covered by everyone involved, and by now it seems every geezer with a keyboard has divolged their oh-so-sage oppinion on it.)

My understanding of the situation came from witness accounts provided by Sapient himself. If he doesn't want others to quote or discuss these events....

Regardless I'm not judging him or Greydon. The element of poor judgement in a crisis and responses in this and the other forum post regarding non-violence are what I'm interested in.

Nikolaj wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

Pacifism allows bad things to happen while looking to someone else to make it stop.

If you are looking to others to act with violent means, then you are not a pacifist, because then you are not objecting to someone else being violent, and then you are not a pacifist, just someone not willing to throw yourself into the mix (that would be a coward, I suppose).

Oh, and also:

Warmongering allows bad things to happen, period.

So then we are no further.

Agreed.

Nikolaj wrote:

But I'm not worried about his mental health, as much as I am worried about mine, and the rest of society. If we devalue human life to such and extent, that he is just a broken cog in the machinery that is society, if he is just a cancer that needs to be cut away, then why not remove ALL the defunctive cogs? The handicapped, the unemployed, the political opposition? The ones who won't conform to their own society's social norms, and therefore causes unnecessary strife?

Because there aren't many handicapped rapists and killers. Because simply disagreeing does not warrant violence.

There is a great difference between people with a clumsy and poor understanding of a political issue casting their vote and a shrewd individual who would manipulate those people or gleefully play along.

Nikolaj wrote:

Here in Denmark the religious social norm is atheism, so I'm good, but in America? Well, have fun in the Death Camp. I can't really object when they put you there, cause after all they are just curing their own society of a cancer that causes unnecessary strife.

Strawman. No where have I advocated wholesale detention and execution of a group of individuals based on bigotry and poor reasoning. If I had perhaps you'd have a point.

Nikolaj wrote:

Who's to say he would not just become even more powerful in death as a symbol of martyrdom (who's to say he isn't allready dead?

That's what I said. Don't bogart my material.

Proof, Paul Simon

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:nutxaq

Watcher wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

I've been reading some forum posts that have me more than a little concerned. It seems that violence of any sort is absolutely verboten to some people, no matter what the situation. Personally I find this ironic, intellectual rebels ready and willing to be subjugated. To some extent I understand why people who find the concept of an afterlife at least questionable, would take issue with actions that have potentially final, irrevocable consequences. What I don't understand is the inability of pacifists to see the bigger picture...

Hi Zack.  Nice to meet you.  I'm an atheist too.  And I, for one, consider the label 'pacifist' a derogatory term.  Actually I consider the stance of pacifism as being immoral.  I'm not at all adverse to fighting, war, and slaughtering each other.  Violence has settled more disagreements than any other method after all.  We are just animals to be sure.  And we kill each other for resources.  Much like the USA is doing today in the Middle East.  Resource: Oil.  If it comes down to you or my family I will rip your fucking throat out with my teeth.

Is that what you want us to say?  Well it's the truth.  I'd do it without a second thought.

Geez, you guys are so sensitive. It seems to me that you and I agree, so you're probably not the kind of person I was referring to.

Watcher wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

Yeah.  Kind of fucked up sounding isn't that?  However since I don't know the exact details I will not assume a lot of shit.  That would be rather stupid, would it not?

Did I make any reference to information not provided in Sapient's post?

Watcher wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

I'm sure if you were there Brian would not have sustained a scratch.

Perhaps not as many.

Watcher wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

I defy anyone however, to tell me how it would have been wrong to assassinate the likes of Bin laden, Hitler (Don't bring that "you mentioned Hitler so your point is invalid" shit), Stalin, etc.. during their respective ascent to power. Some may argue that someone possibly worse might have taken their place. I say there is only one way to find out.

I would not do it now, because they shaped the world you were born into except for Osama.  There is a good chance that you would not exist if WWII didn't play out the way it did.  Nor, most likely, would have the USA ever even been considered a "world power" at all.

The USA was considered inconsequential before WWII.  We were wallowing in the Great Depression.  Afterwards the US was considered a force to be reckoned with.

That would not somehow make my non-existence less palatable. I only worry about these things because I do exist.

Watcher wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

Someone here does not "believe in violence"?  Really?  I think that violence is a pretty obvious fact of our existence. 

Way to take it out of context.

Proof, Paul Simon

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
nutxaq wrote:Strawman. No

nutxaq wrote:

Strawman. No where have I advocated wholesale detention and execution of a group of individuals based on bigotry and poor reasoning. If I had perhaps you'd have a point

It is my argument against death penalty, not something I suggested you advocated. It is a "slippery slope" argument. If a society condones death sentence it becomes more and more inclined towards "good for society" over "good for individual freedom". That was what I was trying to argue anyway. I know my end-result scenario was ofcourse extremelly... extreme, but I was just trying to point out that either one cares for all individuals, or one cares only for society as a whole, in which case it becomes harder to argue against some things.

My point is that statesanctioned violence like the death sentance hardens us all. It is not just the inmate I worry about; it's the mental health of everyone in society. I know not everyone agrees with that, I'm just trying to argue why I object to "justifiable" violence.

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:Good samaritan

Nikolaj wrote:

Good samaritan laws?

You can't object to people reacting with cowardess based on the emotional response that is your loathing for cowards, while simultaniously saying that I cannot object emotionally to the loathing that I have for violent people.

Again: a pacifist is not the same as a coward, nor is a person who ideologically condones violence automatically a couragious person.

It extends beyond violence. Recently a man was caught on camera being struck by a car in broad daylight and surrounded by people. The term "rushed to help" would not be an accurate description of their reaction. Sometimes people need the assistance of external stimuli to do the right thing.

Proof, Paul Simon

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:nutxaq

Nikolaj wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

Strawman. No where have I advocated wholesale detention and execution of a group of individuals based on bigotry and poor reasoning. If I had perhaps you'd have a point

It is my argument against death penalty, not something I suggested you advocated. It is a "slippery slope" argument. If a society condones death sentence it becomes more and more inclined towards "good for society" over "good for individual freedom". That was what I was trying to argue anyway. I know my end-result scenario was ofcourse extremelly... extreme, but I was just trying to point out that either one cares for all individuals, or one cares only for society as a whole, in which case it becomes harder to argue against some things.

My point is that statesanctioned violence like the death sentance hardens us all. It is not just the inmate I worry about; it's the mental health of everyone in society. I know not everyone agrees with that, I'm just trying to argue why I object to "justifiable" violence.

Fair enough. I've never been a fan of the slippery slope because it is routinely used against sound arguments for moving in new directions or affording equality and understanding to others like it does in the gay marriage debate. In this case I have a hard time accepting that people would extrapolate it to the point of killing perfectly harmless individuals.

Proof, Paul Simon

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is allready an

There is allready an insentive in place to get people to help victims of accidents and crimes, you don't need laws. The insentive is guilt/social responsibility/morality/instinctive unease at seeing suffering... Most non-psychopathic people have at least some of those traits, and yet, the "bystander"-syndrome persists... Why? Because it is natural. Doubt/fear if the unknown/cowardess/lack of determination... I don't think a state imposed law would do alot of difference.

People are still violent when they want to be, in some countries more so than in others, and that despite the fact that some of those countries have extremelly harsh penalties for violent crimes. The most prisontime you'll EVER get in Denmark is 16 years, regardless of how many policemen you kill, and yet there is less violent crimes here than the US, despite the law being alot harsher in the US.

If you want people to go against their nature, I think changing the general attitude of the culture is more helpful than trying to impose penalty from above.

But then, I am of the very radical oppinion that when it comes to stick and carrot, carrot is not just the best option, it is the only option. Stick will at best be completely useless, and usually it will even be very harmful to your goal in the long run.

But I'm not a behavoral psychologist, so what do I know?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, attitudes towards

Yes, attitudes towards violence do have an effect on the way people react in a fight or flight situation.  Why do you think the armed services spend so much time practicing violence?

It's a double edged sword, though.  People who have been trained to believe that violence is a good solution to most or all problems tend to resort to violence when it's not appropriate.  Just for shits and giggles, I'd like to point out that Greydon has military training, and resorted to violence over a few cds.  I'd also point you towards the problems experienced by returning veterans who have trouble adapting to life in non-violent society.

Sometimes I call myself a pacifist, but it's kind of a joke when I do.  Granted, I almost never resort to violence, but that's because I'm a damn creative dude, and I have almost always been able to find something more creative and more effective.   When violence has been the only practical solution and there's been sufficient need, I've used it.

Before you decide for certain that us intellectual types are all pansies, I'd like to encourage you to do some reading on the science of violence, including the effectiveness of punitive violence, the long term psychological effects of being a victim of violence, and the social mechanisms behind societies that have very low levels of violence.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:But then, I am

Nikolaj wrote:
But then, I am of the very radical oppinion that when it comes to stick and carrot, carrot is not just the best option, it is the only option. Stick will at best be completely useless, and usually it will even be very harmful to your goal in the long run.

As an absolute statement, I don't agree with you, but for the most part, science proves you correct.  The United States has one of the most draconian penal systems in the post-industrial world, and we also have more crime than almost anyone.  We punish poverty with jail, and we have rampant poverty.  Countries with progressive social welfare programs have low crime and low violence.

There's a section on poverty, race, and social welfare in this book.  I recommend it to anyone who disagrees with government subsidies for the poor.  This is a book with facts, not opinions.  It's very well researched, and shouldn't be dismissed without a good scientific refutation:

The Way We Never Were: American Families and the Nostalgia Trap by Stephanie Coontz (Paperback - Aug 2000) 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
nutxaq wrote:Fair enough.

nutxaq wrote:

Fair enough. I've never been a fan of the slippery slope because it is routinely used against sound arguments for moving in new directions or affording equality and understanding to others like it does in the gay marriage debate. In this case I have a hard time accepting that people would extrapolate it to the point of killing perfectly harmless individuals.

I agree that Slippery Slope arguments are often useless. But I consider most everything in the entire world a sliding scale of options, rather than a black and white dicotomy, and I often use the argumention tactic of pointing out an extreme point on the sliding scale to show my opponent in the argument which way they are pushing the scales. This is, in a way an unfair tactic, since I myself hold that everything is a sliding scale, so we have to move up and down the scale, and I know people don't shoot to one end, but rather stop when they feel they have found the most reaonable point on the scale.

So I can understand that you object, because of course I don't presume that you would want to kill perfectly harmless individuals, and you are right in pointing that out.

skywolf
skywolf's picture
User is offlineOffline
this is the suck

i don't know what happend between greydon and brian i think that greydon needs more than just meds for help though. i love all my cousins including greydon and brian you guys just need to remember that unity and cooperation are what will make man better i am going to post a thread to deal with my temper i just had an outburst of rage my self and am sorry to say that i handled it poorly details will be in that thread. i hope for the sake of both greydon and brian and freeminds everywhere this does not leave any permanent hurt to the community or our efforts to free the minds of the masses from the true evil that i see religion becoming in the near future

mohammed is mr poopy pants allah is a cootie queen and islam is a lint licker
http://seekerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/_blogger_5932_1957_1600_religion_of_peace_1-1.jpg

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
re: The shit going down

*References to Greydon removed from Zack's quote, I don't feel like discussing something I wasn't present for.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nutxaq wrote:

I've been reading some forum posts that have me more than a little concerned. It seems that violence of any sort is absolutely verboten to some people, no matter what the situation. Personally I find this ironic, intellectual rebels ready and willing to be subjugated. To some extent I understand why people who find the concept of an afterlife at least questionable, would take issue with actions that have potentially final, irrevocable consequences. What I don't understand is the inability of pacifists to see the bigger picture. We are in a continual struggle here in America with Evangelicals who want to return this country to it's "Christian roots". In the rest of the world Islam is the fastest growing religion, and it would appear that their most motivated leaders do not have tolerance in mind. If either should succeed we may find ourselves in a situation where violence is our only option.

(...)

In another post regarding first time rapists ( http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/14230 ) a number of people expressed disgust with the idea of mutilation and death sentences for these people. Even for repeat offenders and particularly heinous crimes. While I agree that people shouldn't suffer punishments that offer no hope for redemption the first time, we have to admit that at some point it doesn't make sense to sustain career criminals. Since we are not beholden to a higher power (Karma is bull shit too.) there is no reason to offer forgiveness to people who cannot or will not get their shit together.

(...)

In regards to assassinations of certain political leaders, I feel that this too is justified under certain circumstances.  The  murders  of Dr. King,  John and Robert Kennedy, Ghandi, Malcolm X, Abraham Lincoln, etc.. were unjustified in that they were committed by people or groups whose aims were criminal, oppressive, or religiously misguided. I defy anyone however, to tell me how it would have been wrong to assassinate the likes of Bin laden, Hitler (Don't bring that "you mentioned Hitler so your point is invalid" shit), Stalin, etc.. during their respective ascent to power. Some may argue that someone possibly worse might have taken their place. I say there is only one way to find out. I would rather try to prevent people like this from gaining power and influence and see who fills the void, than allow them to reach a point of notoriety and potency. We missed several opportunities to kill Bin Laden some ten years ago. To do so now will be a hollow victory (Zawahiri as well) because of his successes and popularity and the Muslim concept of honor and martyrdom. His message has been spread and we failed to prevent it. I fully agree that we missed an even more important opportunity In our handling of the Soviet/Afghan conflict, but that's spilled milk and so is 9/11. Now what?

re: The shit going down

Agreed, theoretically, and writing a novel about it with two intentions: the first is to deeply examine everything that could possibly go wrong if freethinkers had to defend themselves from a fundamentalist American government, and to inspire free thinkers not to let it happen. I think the moderates and the extremists (yes this means the real militants) of our movement need to have an rational understanding of exactly which circumstances warrant retributive or pre-emptive acts. The moderates need the extremists and the extremists need the moderates, to balance each other out. I am a militant, but because I am also a rational human being I am self conscious enough to know that everyone's interests in the community would best be served by better organization and discipline within our ranks, at least for those of us who qualify as activists.

That being said, I have to make on thing clear: it is my opinion that every atheist should own a gun to protect his or herself and family. Not too long ago in this country, homosexuals and communists were confined to mental institutions. It's not too hard to see something like that happening again to "unstable" or "degenerate" atheists.

Like I said on a different post, the Christian Reconstructionist and the Dominionist movements will not dissolve when George Bush leaves office, and I can't imagine even Barack Obama doing anything to dismantle their fascist movement, so I believe in preparation for the worst and hope for the best.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:Good samaritan

Nikolaj wrote:

Good samaritan laws?

Nikolaj has a point. It does take serious guts to be a dedicated pacifist, just as much as it takes serious guts to be a dedicated militant. Most successful social movements depended on both.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Yes,

Hambydammit wrote:

Yes, attitudes towards violence do have an effect on the way people react in a fight or flight situation.  Why do you think the armed services spend so much time practicing violence?

It's a double edged sword, though.  People who have been trained to believe that violence is a good solution to most or all problems tend to resort to violence when it's not appropriate.  Just for shits and giggles, I'd like to point out that Greydon has military training, and resorted to violence over a few cds.  I'd also point you towards the problems experienced by returning veterans who have trouble adapting to life in non-violent society.

Sometimes I call myself a pacifist, but it's kind of a joke when I do.  Granted, I almost never resort to violence, but that's because I'm a damn creative dude, and I have almost always been able to find something more creative and more effective.   When violence has been the only practical solution and there's been sufficient need, I've used it.

Before you decide for certain that us intellectual types are all pansies, I'd like to encourage you to do some reading on the science of violence, including the effectiveness of punitive violence, the long term psychological effects of being a victim of violence, and the social mechanisms behind societies that have very low levels of violence.

I'm not labeling all you intellectual types pansies. I am an intellectual type (let the scoffing and wannabe scathing retorts begin). Nor am I advocating it as the only solution. I'm simply concerned that when push comes to shove, people who I fundamentally agree with will have spent a lifetime contemplating tolerance and non-violence and will be caught unprepared. People who my survival and freedom would inevitably depend on. I do follow the mechanics of our society and its outcomes, as well as how it compares with other societies. I fully endorse using positive reenforcement as a tool for raising children (it's how I trained my dog), and reforming criminals. The problem is that we don't simply have a fresh generation of children and puppies to raise. We have an entire population of people irrevocably scarred by bad parenting, institutional racism, drug abuse, religious dogma, and poverty. Part of the problem is bassackwards drug legislation where the end user will face a penalty as harsh for their personal stash, as the supplier will for their inventory. Add to that the fact that catching junkies is like shooting fish in a barrel and you've got a recipe for prison over crowding.

I favor after school programs for at risk youth, job training and education for inmates. A more progressive welfare program is also a necessary ingredient. That would do a lot for future generations.

But what do you do about career criminals, sociopaths, and deviants? Despite whatever shitty upbringing they endured, they are still responsible for their actions.  If strict punishment is not enough to keep them on the straight and narrow then perhaps they need to be disposed of. I realize that sounds cold, but the money we save in their absence could be applied to programs to help those that are not beyond redemption.

Proof, Paul Simon

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
nutxaq wrote:Hambydammit

nutxaq wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

I'm not labeling all you intellectual types pansies. I am an intellectual type (let the scoffing and wannabe scathing retorts begin). Nor am I advocating it as the only solution. I'm simply concerned that when push comes to shove, people who I fundamentally agree with will have spent a lifetime contemplating tolerance and non-violence and will be caught unprepared. People who my survival and freedom would inevitably depend on. I do follow the mechanics of our society and its outcomes, as well as how it compares with other societies. I fully endorse using positive reenforcement as a tool for raising children (it's how I trained my dog), and reforming criminals. The problem is that we don't simply have a fresh generation of children and puppies to raise. We have an entire population of people irrevocably scarred by bad parenting, institutional racism, drug abuse, religious dogma, and poverty. Part of the problem is bassackwards drug legislation where the end user will face a penalty as harsh for their personal stash, as the supplier will for their inventory. Add to that the fact that catching junkies is like shooting fish in a barrel and you've got a recipe for prison over crowding.

I favor after school programs for at risk youth, job training and education for inmates. A more progressive welfare program is also a necessary ingredient. That would do a lot for future generations.

But what do you do about career criminals, sociopaths, and deviants? Despite whatever shitty upbringing they endured, they are still responsible for their actions.  If strict punishment is not enough to keep them on the straight and narrow then perhaps they need to be disposed of. I realize that sounds cold, but the money we save in their absence could be applied to programs to help those that are not beyond redemption.

For the record, Nutxaq and Hamby, I am an "intellectual type" as well. It's just that my problem with the rest of the American Intelligentsia is that we're not militarized enough, in my opinion. We could all stand to learn some discipline and possibly sacrifice some of our individual dignity in order to make the reforms you describe possible.

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
FulltimeDefendent

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

For the record, Nutxaq and Hamby, I am an "intellectual type" as well. It's just that my problem with the rest of the American Intelligentsia is that we're not militarized enough, in my opinion. We could all stand to learn some discipline and possibly sacrifice some of our individual dignity in order to make the reforms you describe possible.

That's what I'm sayin'.

I would love it if we lived in a world where it wasn't necessary, but we don't. If history is any indication at any given moment we are a heart beat away from anarchy or totalitarianism and the persecution that will likely come with it.

Proof, Paul Simon

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
nutxaq wrote:I would love it

nutxaq wrote:

I would love it if we lived in a world where it wasn't necessary, but we don't. If history is any indication at any given moment we are a heart beat away from anarchy or totalitarianism and the persecution that will likely come with it.

Did you read my other post, on the previous page of this thread? One of the problems is that some atheists see violence as almost exclusively religious. I think conflict is part of human nature and life always takes life to survive. To assume this to be right in all cases is to commit a naturalistic fallacy. But then again, "He will triumph who knows when to fight and when not to fight." Sun Tzu. Subtextual translation: sometimes appearances, intimidating ones, are enough. A Machiavellian lesson.

Conflict is part of human nature and it should be dealt with rationally, self-consciously. Sometimes violence is absolutely justified by reason. With noble exceptions (as I said in another post on this thread, being a real pacifist, a nonviolent non-cooperator, takes a lot of courage, just as much as taking up arms against an oppressor), I think most people on this forum would have been willing to fight Hitler. I don't have evidence for that, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Did you know that Gandhi actually wrote a letter to Hitler in an attempt to appeal to his sense of reason and use nonviolent methods to achieve the objectives of National Socialism? That's not admirable pacifism. That's naivety.

We'll never get rid of conflict but we can take a stand against irrational conflicts, and against irrationality. That alone is worth living for, and what is worth living for, in my opinion, is worth fighting for: family, friends, and freedom of/from (especially from) religion.

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
FulltimeDefendent wrote:Did

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

Did you know that Gandhi actually wrote a letter to Hitler in an attempt to appeal to his sense of reason and use nonviolent methods to achieve the objectives of National Socialism? That's not admirable pacifism. That's naivety.

But at least he gave it a shot in the hope that it might have achieved something, better to have tried that not to have tried at all.

: Freedom - The opportunity to have responsibility.

: Liberty is about protecting the right of others to disagree with you.

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
UltraMonk

UltraMonk wrote:

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

But at least he gave it a shot in the hope that it might have achieved something, better to have tried that not to have tried at all.

Certainly. The only problem is that seemed to be the only tool in Ghandi's Batbelt. If it had been Hitler the Indian people were standing up to, it would have meant certain doom.

Proof, Paul Simon

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
nutxaq wrote:What I don't

nutxaq wrote:

What I don't understand is the inability of pacifists to see the bigger picture.

Have you ever considered that pacifist's actually do see the bigger picture and you don't?

No, I am not a pacifist myself, but do understand what pacifism is all about, it is just something that is not for me.

I personally dislike violence, I very much prefer to walk away from it if it only personally involves me. However I will stand up to protect others, I will defend myself with violence if absolutely necessary, and I will put people into their places if they continually go around harassing and intimidating people for no good reason other than trying to make themselves the 'bigger' person.

Those that tend to advocate violence as a means to a solution may only come up with violence as a solution when they are in a situation and will not consider alternative non-violent means to resolve those same situations.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Violence may be part of

Violence may be part of human nature but for most people its mostly drilled out of people as part of being decent educated. I always remember from school even raising your voice was a sign of being uncivilized never mind hitting someone  (I do occassionaly shout but hey no one is perfect)

You do know during WW2 90% of American/British soldiers never fired a single shot in anger never mind killed anyone. Your average human beings simply don't make good killers by the time they are adults you need to train them to be able to do that. Of course if you are brought up in a ghetto where violence is normal its a totally different matter

I've been a victim of serious crime before where I was mugged, I had my skull fractured but the CCTV camera showed me not raising one hand in defence. It simply wasnt in me, just didnt even occur to fight back and to be honest I don't really want that to change

Fundmanetally we have a role for force in society but you generally employ professionals to do this. Ie the police, military etc we do NOT want the general population becoming AK47 toting Kung Fu guru Neo wannabes

Through intestingly most men like war/violent films maybe catching up with parts of their pysche that has been civilized away?

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
UltraMonk wrote:nutxaq

UltraMonk wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

What I don't understand is the inability of pacifists to see the bigger picture.

Have you ever considered that pacifist's actually do see the bigger picture and you don't?

No, I am not a pacifist myself, but do understand what pacifism is all about, it is just something that is not for me.

I personally dislike violence, I very much prefer to walk away from it if it only personally involves me. However I will stand up to protect others, I will defend myself with violence if absolutely necessary, and I will put people into their places if they continually go around harassing and intimidating people for no good reason other than trying to make themselves the 'bigger' person.

Those that tend to advocate violence as a means to a solution may only come up with violence as a solution when they are in a situation and will not consider alternative non-violent means to resolve those same situations.

Perhaps. This is simply my conclusion based on the articles in the news, history books, and personal interactions. I've personally only been in three physical altercations (only one was really a fight). I've broken up a fight between total strangers, and I've tried to be the voice of reason for people on the verge of fighting. I'm just trying to make the point that if the time should come notions of non-violence will work against us. Whether it be fighting back in self defense or coming to the aid of another person in trouble.

Proof, Paul Simon

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:Violence may

mrjonno wrote:

Violence may be part of human nature but for most people its mostly drilled out of people as part of being decent educated. I always remember from school even raising your voice was a sign of being uncivilized never mind hitting someone  (I do occassionaly shout but hey no one is perfect)

You do know during WW2 90% of American/British soldiers never fired a single shot in anger never mind killed anyone. Your average human beings simply don't make good killers by the time they are adults you need to train them to be able to do that. Of course if you are brought up in a ghetto where violence is normal its a totally different matter

I've been a victim of serious crime before where I was mugged, I had my skull fractured but the CCTV camera showed me not raising one hand in defence. It simply wasnt in me, just didnt even occur to fight back and to be honest I don't really want that to change

Fundmanetally we have a role for force in society but you generally employ professionals to do this. Ie the police, military etc we do NOT want the general population becoming AK47 toting Kung Fu guru Neo wannabes

Through intestingly most men like war/violent films maybe catching up with parts of their pysche that has been civilized away?

Wow. That's a totally useless mentality. In a bare bones society with no time for the finer things in life I personally couldn't justify providing rations for an adult that isn't even willing to raise a hand in self defense, let alone  to protect  one of their own.

Proof, Paul Simon

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
nutxaq wrote:Wow. That's a

nutxaq wrote:

Wow. That's a totally useless mentality. In a bare bones society with no time for the finer things in life I personally couldn't justify providing rations for an adult that isn't even willing to raise a hand in self defense, let alone  to protect  one of their own.

We don't live in a 'bare bones' society. We live in a highly intradependent society when to even survive each day you rely on 1000's. You rely on farmers for food, miners/drillers/energy workers for heat/light etc. You rely on transport workers to run trains/aircraft/roads of  if you drive on mechanics and industry to produce your car.

Or to put it another way 'YOU ARE NOT INDEPENDENT'

I really despise this moronic cult of the individual where they think (but arent)  self sufficient and do not need others to survive. If you are a member of the SAS (or whatever the US equilvalent is) then maybe maybe you can survive on your own in the wilderness (doubt if you make it in a city through).

Nutxaq are you one of these people who live in their cabin with an arsenal of weapons waiting for the 'government' to come. You hear about them on the news but to be honest I've never met one so its probably why we don't really think on the same lines.

By the way I don't consider myself a pacifist I just

a) consider violence is a last resort

b) who have been trained in it and/or live and breath it are likely to be significantly better at it than me and even with my limited military training (Rambo/Matrix) the only response to a fight where you can't win is to run away and get aid. One violent thug/soldier will beat the shit out of 3 middle classed computer geeks whose knowledge of violence is deathmatch Quake

One other thing is a Christian government army comes after you , you're dead regardless of what your personal stash in firearms or self defence training is. If its been left that late your are probably better saving the last bullet for yourself

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
nutxaq wrote:Wow. That's a

nutxaq wrote:

A scenairo for you then, you live in a community of about a thousand people. The leader of the community is very intelligent, an excellent strategist and is viewed by all as the best person to ensure that the community survives. No one else comes close, no one is as trustworthy, he will do right by everybody.

However he is unable to defend or protect himself in anyway shape or form because he is a quadraplegic.

So an enemy pops up and is about to kill your leader, do you:

1) Let the enemy kill your leader, knowing that there is a very high chance that within a short few months the community won't exist anymore.

2) Sacrifice yourself to save your leader knowing that there is a very high chance that the community will thrive and grow.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
resorting to Violence

Hello Nutxag, and I know I am jumping in here really late into it, but here goes. The matter of helping other really depends on the experiences of a person. For example if a person isn't exposed to a lot of physical violence (fighting, training for fighting etc, etc, etc) then chances are when that situation comes up they will usually  leave, unless of course it directly involves them or a loved one, and even loved ones doesn't mean they will fight. In many countries it's not incouraged, such as in the USA where being a good samaritan can get u sued (a good samaritan law would include that a good samaritan cannot be sued for helping someone, but that it doesn't require someone actually go help someone in need per se, only if they deemed it possible for themselves to do).  Now myself due to my work I tend to be able to respond to a situation such as what occurred between Brian and Greydon (personally I have restrained a man 120 lbs heavier than myself), however that doesn't mean everyone will, or can, those witnesses may know of greydon's past, including military training and or mental health issues, in that case they may flee to avoid dealing with the situation because of many reasons, fear of greydon, fear of police involvement, just a fear of violence, etc, etc, etc.

The idea of violence as a necessity is true, however it should be a last resort, once all other possiblities are exhausted, personally in the theological field I rather fight it with education and rational thinking rather than violence, HOWEVER, should I or my country be personally attacked by religious extremists I do not have a problem responding back with violence as this is usually the form of communication they understand. Self defense is a different issue however, and most people will defend themselves when being attack, however with that said, many people will rather avoid violence than actually be involved and will do many things to avoid it even when confronted with a violent person. They try to deal with the person with reason rather than violence.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm afraid that solutions to

I'm afraid that solutions to career criminals are about as tough as solutions to bad infrastructure.  You don't solve anything by covering up the potholes. 

What I mean to say is that you could spend billions of dollars in some draconian push to remove every criminal from society, and what you would end up with is more criminals and angry families of incarcerated criminals.  The thing is, the society creates the criminals, so if you remove the ones that are here, more will just take their place.  It's a losing battle... like covering potholes.

Relatively speaking, the damage done by criminals in one generation is not all that terrifying.  If a country were to fix its economic and social policies, that would take a decade or so, and you would see a double result.  First, some "career criminals," when paroled or let out of jail, would find new opportunities that were not available, and would reform.  Second, you would avoid a new generation of criminals even being created.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that murderers get slapped on the wrist.  I'm suggesting that severe punishment be reserved for the most severe crimes, and most of the public monies go towards social and economic reform, not retributive measures against people who have little choice but to be criminals.

Books about atheism

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
For soldiers, war's a last resort too

Hamby- as for the notion of violence being  last resort, I agree. I am not a soldier, but unlike some atheists and leftists I try to not to think of militaries as monolithic war machines. It's occurred to me that actual soldiers, especially developed countries, are the very people who would most agree with you that war is a last resort.

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:nutxaq

mrjonno wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

We don't live in a 'bare bones' society. We live in a highly intradependent society when to even survive each day you rely on 1000's. You rely on farmers for food, miners/drillers/energy workers for heat/light etc. You rely on transport workers to run trains/aircraft/roads of  if you drive on mechanics and industry to produce your car.

Or to put it another way 'YOU ARE NOT INDEPENDENT'

I really despise this moronic cult of the individual where they think (but arent)  self sufficient and do not need others to survive. If you are a member of the SAS (or whatever the US equilvalent is) then maybe maybe you can survive on your own in the wilderness (doubt if you make it in a city through).

Nutxaq are you one of these people who live in their cabin with an arsenal of weapons waiting for the 'government' to come. You hear about them on the news but to be honest I've never met one so its probably why we don't really think on the same lines.

By the way I don't consider myself a pacifist I just

a) consider violence is a last resort

b) who have been trained in it and/or live and breath it are likely to be significantly better at it than me and even with my limited military training (Rambo/Matrix) the only response to a fight where you can't win is to run away and get aid. One violent thug/soldier will beat the shit out of 3 middle classed computer geeks whose knowledge of violence is deathmatch Quake

One other thing is a Christian government army comes after you , you're dead regardless of what your personal stash in firearms or self defence training is. If its been left that late your are probably better saving the last bullet for yourself

That's true we do live in a system of interdepenancy. That is really the only reason someone like you could survive. I also despise "go it alone" types, that's why I'm calling out those who are adamantly non-violent in the face of all reason. My survival is dependant on like minded people being able to make the hard choices and act quickly should the situation call for it.

I wish someone had told me sooner that I live in a well fortified cabin. I've been squatting , unarmed in a suburban house just outside of one of the most progressive cities in America staunchly supporting Obama in large part because of his anti-war stance. Silly me.

If someone beat you to the point of fracturing your skull and you're not a pacifist then the only other options are that you are a fool or a coward. Neither is fit for survival outside of a structured, compassionate society.

We don't disagree on your last point. I would personally rather die an honest man, standing up for myself and my rights, than cowering under an oppressive regime just to get by.

Proof, Paul Simon

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I'm afraid

Hambydammit wrote:

I'm afraid that solutions to career criminals are about as tough as solutions to bad infrastructure.  You don't solve anything by covering up the potholes. 

What I mean to say is that you could spend billions of dollars in some draconian push to remove every criminal from society, and what you would end up with is more criminals and angry families of incarcerated criminals.  The thing is, the society creates the criminals, so if you remove the ones that are here, more will just take their place.  It's a losing battle... like covering potholes.

Relatively speaking, the damage done by criminals in one generation is not all that terrifying.  If a country were to fix its economic and social policies, that would take a decade or so, and you would see a double result.  First, some "career criminals," when paroled or let out of jail, would find new opportunities that were not available, and would reform.  Second, you would avoid a new generation of criminals even being created.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that murderers get slapped on the wrist.  I'm suggesting that severe punishment be reserved for the most severe crimes, and most of the public monies go towards social and economic reform, not retributive measures against people who have little choice but to be criminals.

I fully agree.

Proof, Paul Simon

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Well when I said if some

Well when I said if some christian mob comes for you   then you are better of shooting yourself was not on the grounds of freedom but on the basis of avoiding being tortured.

Better a living prisoner who can dream of being free than corpse which well just smells a bit.

Do like the way you say if you arent violent you are a pacifist, a coward or a fool. Whats wrong with I'm just not violent like most civilized humans are.

Have actually thrown a punch once in my life and while the person I hit probably deserved it , it is definitely one of the biggest regrets of my life I think it hurt my fist more than him but never again

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:Do like the

mrjonno wrote:

Do like the way you say if you arent violent you are a pacifist, a coward or a fool. Whats wrong with I'm just not violent like most civilized humans are.

You missed my point. You said you let someone fracture your skull without lifting a finger in defense. There's no way to frame that in which you don't appear to be too scared or to stupid to act.

Proof, Paul Simon

kellym78
atheistRational VIP!
kellym78's picture
User is offlineOffline
I didn't read every

I didn't read every response, and I'm sure that the conversation has drifted to more nebulous topics, but it is a guarantee that I would not have ran and actually took note of a lamp post on the ground (knocked off of the table when Greydon ripped it out of the wall) that would have been perfect for ending the fight.  I wish I had the opportunity and in fact have been pissed that I didn't.

So much for being a pusscifist.

nb: I would not have, and never have, been the first to throw down, but when necessary, I am not afraid of a fight even if I'm guaranteed an ass-whooping. Been there--done that.

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
kellym78 wrote:I didn't read

kellym78 wrote:

I didn't read every response, and I'm sure that the conversation has drifted to more nebulous topics, but it is a guarantee that I would not have ran and actually took note of a lamp post on the ground (knocked off of the table when Greydon ripped it out of the wall) that would have been perfect for ending the fight.  I wish I had the opportunity and in fact have been pissed that I didn't.

So much for being a pusscifist.

nb: I would not have, and never have, been the first to throw down, but when necessary, I am not afraid of a fight even if I'm guaranteed an ass-whooping. Been there--done that.

Amen.

By the way I see that I keep getting points. For style I assume. Are they redeemable, or are they simply to show who throws down the most?

Proof, Paul Simon