New Shows Coming - 6/11 [Updated]

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
New Shows Coming - 6/11 [Updated]

Hey friends,

This Wednesday night, 6/11 our prospective guest is Philip R. Davies, a Hebrew Bible scholar and member of the prestigious Copenhagen school, who will discuss some of the many reasons why the Hebrew Bible is fiction as opposed to history, and explain a bit of the minimalist position. 

All quests and inquiries for these two guests may be posted in this thread, and the best will be asked on air.  Remember the show starts promptly at 8pm EST in stickam, which can be accessed from this link

[UPDATE] Because of time zone restrictions, this show will have to be taped early and played for the room later that evening, normal time.  Philip is 5 hours ahead of me, and that means that calling him at 8pm EST is 1am for him.  Because of my respect for him, I have agreed to record the show ahead of time.  I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but still promise a great show!  Looking forward to seeing you all there.

NOTE: This is why it is important to get your questions in NOW.  Ask all your questions in this thread!  Only two more days until show time!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I cant find any link that

I cant find any link that worked to listen.

DOH! My computer calender was off. Never mind.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Next Wednesday, 6/10,

Quote:
Next Wednesday, 6/10, our prospective guest is Philip R. Davies, a Hebrew Bible scholar and member of the prestigious Copenhagen school, who will discuss some of the many reasons why the Hebrew Bible is fiction as opposed to history, and explain a bit of the minimalist position.

That's going to be a great show, I'm sure!  Wednesdays suck for me, but I'm going to try to get free for this one.  As you know, my biblical knowledge has been steadily slipping for a decade, but if there was one thing in particular I would be interested in, it would be how the evidence for the OT as fiction affects the so-called fulfilled prophecies in the Jesus story.  Are there significant OT historical inaccuracies that would directly discredit the Jesus myth?

I'm really interested in how OT fiction will contribute to Jesus mythicism.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:Next

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Next Wednesday, 6/10, our prospective guest is Philip R. Davies, a Hebrew Bible scholar and member of the prestigious Copenhagen school, who will discuss some of the many reasons why the Hebrew Bible is fiction as opposed to history, and explain a bit of the minimalist position.

That's going to be a great show, I'm sure!  Wednesdays suck for me, but I'm going to try to get free for this one.  As you know, my biblical knowledge has been steadily slipping for a decade, but if there was one thing in particular I would be interested in, it would be how the evidence for the OT as fiction affects the so-called fulfilled prophecies in the Jesus story.  Are there significant OT historical inaccuracies that would directly discredit the Jesus myth?

I'm really interested in how OT fiction will contribute to Jesus mythicism.

You'll want to read my book for that when it comes out. Eye-wink

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
When will they be

When will they be downloadable?

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rook_Hawkins wrote:Next

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

I'm actually really interested to tune into this. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Isn't it actually 6/11? 6/10

Isn't it actually 6/11? 6/10 is Tuesday - the counter on the side also says its 2 days from now which is Wed 6/11.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes.

Yes.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
For Mr. Davies:Using just

For Mr. Davies:

Using just the artifacts, what is the earliest comparison between actual and biblical history concurrent with minimalist scholarship? (Please understand I use 'minimalist' with a degree of flattery)

What do you personally require as verification in this field of study? What evidence would 'seal the deal' for you?

In your opinion, whom do we know more about 'Ancient Israel' or 'Ancient Mycenaea' using just archaeology devoid of second-hand textual bias?

For Rook:

Given the precepts of the Copenhagen School, Your/'Our' mythicist standpoint seems to run completely counter to that process of thought in that we see text and look for evidence and they see evidence and look for text... is/are there a grand unifying principle(s) between the two?

Will there be any discussion of 'Nazareth'? lol. (Sorry. Had to throw that one in there. I'll never forget listening and reading about those debates.)

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
For Mr. Davies:1. Can you

For Mr. Davies:

1. Can you discuss the actual history of the ethnoreligious group "the Jews" back to their beginnings and the point where they were a distinctly autonomous group.

2. The historical claims of being persecuted by the egyptians as slaves

3. Nomadic evidence(if any) showing jewish tribes wandering during the exodus and whether that meshes with what the OT states

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
*bump* How did it go?

*bump*

How did it go?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Went well!  For more

Went well!  For more information on the minimalist position, please review this blog entry: http://www.rationalresponders.com/ancient_israel

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I think there might be a

I think there might be a problem with the counter that says when the next show will be - yesterday it made it look like there would be one in the morning and now it's making it look like there will be one at 8:00 tonight (unless there will be.)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Showtime folks

Is there another show tonight?

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not unless it's running late.

Not unless it's running late.