Would this be good enough to concince xtians that their watchmaker analogy and it's variations are wrong?

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Would this be good enough to concince xtians that their watchmaker analogy and it's variations are wrong?

Tornado oddities: Toilet paper unwinds and rewinds

AP Press Today

HUGO, Minn. - As residents in Hugo begin to move on from last week's tornado, some say they noticed a few bizarre things amid all the damage. Jason Akins said the twister unwound a roll of toilet paper in his bathroom — draped it across the countertop, then rewound it in the sink. The toilet paper didn't even rip.

if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object(); window.yzq_d['d9ufJULEYrY-']='&U=13ffqdqfg%2fN%3dd9ufJULEYrY-%2fC%3d651764.12464034.13036147.6541201%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d5379196%2fV%3d1';

"All I could say was, 'You have got to be kidding me,'" Akins recalled.

He also said that winds overturned sofas and ripped away his roof, but dishes of cat food and water were untouched. The cat food was actually still in the bowl.

While hurricanes, floods and blizzards create broad swaths of damage, tornados seem to have tiny fingers that can reach in to small areas and cause some weird mischief. Some say tornados have their own personalities.

Terry Clarkin said the Hugo tornado stuck four steak knives in the yard — and they landed in a perfect square, with the blades in the dirt about three inches.

Across the street, a tree had been stripped of leaves, and instead was filled with pink wads of insulation — looking much like a tree from a cartoon.

Some residents made interesting findings amid the wreckage.

Five-year-old Lauren Ford found a red Spider-Man T-shirt in her back yard. One neighbor found a fishing boat against the remains of a front porch. Others found canoes, checkbooks or toys.

Jeff Janus said the tornado protected him.

He was in his front yard when the storm hit, and he ran inside and grabbed his dog and cat.

"I saw people's houses flying by," he said. He didn't make it to the basement, but instead crouched down in the hallway, with one animal in each arm. He said the storm tore off the bedroom doors and placed them almost gently on top of him — shielding him from falling debris.

When the storm passed, he said, he spit shreds of insulation from his mouth, but he felt the doors saved him.

"I find it hard to believe I am actually here," said Janus.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

BrainFromArous
BrainFromArous's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is it good enough? No,

Is it good enough? No, because nothing is.

Just the other day I had a Christian friend - no dummy, either - hit me with CS Lewis' "Trilemma" argument.

It was left to me, the atheist, to point out to him that (A) it's crap apologetics and (B) Lewis was addressing that challenge to his fellow Christians, not unbelievers.

Give it a few months, and I'll hear the same argument from another Christian. I'd bet money on it.

Christian (and other theist) apologists take great pains to construct empirically-immune arguments. This is especially true when they come to evolution and related matters where the accumulated evidence of centuries of scientific inquiry is staring them in the face.

You think the Watchmaker thing is silly? How long are the ID/Creationist types going to smugly declare "There are no transitional forms in the fossil record!" when in fact they DO exist, HAVE been found and have been widely studied and discussed?

Boards don't hit back. (Bruce Lee)

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice to see you posting,

Nice to see you posting, Larry!

That's a neat article.  I love shit like that.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism