Junk 'science' religions: What practical applications do you see emerging?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Junk 'science' religions: What practical applications do you see emerging?

This is a good question that was raised in a video posted to a different thread. I think it's a good one to ask here:

Intelligent Design proponents, Scientologists, New Agers, Creationists, etc:

What practical applications do you see as eventual byproducts being created by your exploration of a supreme being, or 'ultimate' purpose?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think there are some

I think there are some people that are part of the new age, that might have some practical fields of study, chakras and vibrational healing, a lot of work needs to be done on meditation and the mind, I don't think crystals have any powers personally.

I am not saying these are all legitimate fields of scientific application, but the claims need to be vetted for truth or fraud.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not to answer for anyone,

Not to answer for anyone, but I'd think that New Age types would imagine lots of benefits.  After all, they come from the tradition of believing that doctors are quacks and the real way to cure cancer is waving quartz crystals around.  If that turned out to be true, what an amazing benefit to everyone except insurance companies and doctors!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Actually I imagine if all

Actually I imagine if all the new-age wackos really followed that shit there'd be one benefit. There'd certainly be fewer of them.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is the dawning of the age of aquarius...

Newage, rhymes with 'sewage'...

Ya take an old superstition, wrap it up in s shiney new package, and sell it to idiots like Luminin....

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well there are some very minor, minor, minor benefits

The only thing that I have seen in the case of new age crap....and for the most part it's crap, is the idea of organically grown foods, now I KNOW this isn't a new age idea as it was done well before our time, but processed foods has taken over and so has the use of chemicals in our foods (which personally I believe has been one of the many causes of the rise of ADD, ADHD, and autisim in our children). However many new agers (that I know) believe in organic foods and that chemicals are harming our bodies (which every year new studies point that out). As for the rest of the new age stuff, like crystals, and any other crap regarding life forces and living energy fields.....your in the same field as the christians, muslims, jews and all the other supernatural deity believing folks...your full of shit.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:After all, they come

Quote:

After all, they come from the tradition of believing that doctors are quacks and the real way to cure cancer is waving quartz crystals around.

I think the amount of intelligent substance in the New Age movement is about as much as that behind Cartman's attempt to travel back to 1776 in an episode of South Park where he had to complete a history report on the Founding Fathers:

Cartman (While hanging suspended over a water bath next to a plugged in DVD player): I am just about to flashback to the days of our founding fathers. I have programmed TiVo to record over 150 hours of the history channel. When Tivo is full, both TiVo and I will drop into the water, combining our              electro-whatever fields and sending me into a flashback of history"

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
One of the very, very few

One of the very, very few benefits I see in the new age mumbo jumbo is the practice of meditation, yoga, breathing and relaxation techniques, not because it might realign your chackras or cleanse your aura or some such quasi-scientific idiocy, but rather because it encourages those who exercise them to take some time out from the increasingly neurotic demands of the everyday life, and just center our attention in ourselves and consciously make an effort to relax, something which in itself can (as I have observed in dozens of cases) bring about great benefits in your health, both mental as well as physical.

This humanistic coating is the only positive thing I could say for new agers, and it's the only really good application that could be derived from them, other than that, the crystals, the chackras, homeopathy, the really crappy music, all those have little to no application, but rather a potentially detrimental use and abuse (well, maybe not the music, which would fall into the "harmless but annoying" category).

As for intelligent design, creationism and scientology, I see absolutely no application whatsoever that could be beneficial, let alone practical, that could be derived from them, and quite frankly, if given the choice, I would prefer to keep the new agers around instead of the IDiots, crap-ationist and those trekkies in drag.

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:After all,

Hambydammit wrote:
After all, they come from the tradition of believing that doctors are quacks and the real way to cure cancer is waving quartz crystals around. 

Must ... control ... fist ... of ... death!

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:This is

Kevin R Brown wrote:

This is a good question that was raised in a video posted to a different thread. I think it's a good one to ask here:

Intelligent Design proponents, Scientologists, New Agers, Creationists, etc:

What practical applications do you see as eventual byproducts being created by your exploration of a supreme being, or 'ultimate' purpose?

None. None of these junk sciences will eventuate practical application because none are grounded in any practical methodology. They are 'make shit up' fests based on the golden rule of propaganda - Start logically, follow semantically.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Louis_Cypher wrote:Ya take

Louis_Cypher wrote:
Ya take an old superstition, wrap it up in s shiney new package, and sell it to idiots like Luminin....
*cash desk bell ringing sound*

New Age is very broad cultural movement, and as we know, the only thing the most of people has in common, is idiocy, and thus the crowd is seen as stupid. For example, the human population as such behaves as a bacteria colony, consuming it's environment in self-destructive tendency.
There's a multitude of New Age types, there's even a "typical NA type", often caricaturized. These people rejects the unpleasant cold of a  solid church floor and at the same time, even worse cold of a materialistic universe, which is 0 Kelvin degrees. I haven't really met such NA followers, I know about them just from TV and doubtful magazines.
A lot of NA people started like that, from a curiosity, and after a time, they obtained real experiences and became convinced.

All N. A. followers, deluded or not, are generally not organized, definitely not in the broad sense. You won't see anyone to preach New Age on the street, at least not here, in Europe. There are NA festivals full of NA folk of various opinions, it is unique, for example, you wouldn't find a festival, featuring thousands of various christianic congregations, orders and sects. NA doesn't claim there is only one way or truth, unlike greater religions and atheism. It's a symbol of tolerance. Well, in general sense. As I mentioned, NA is really broad cultural movement, which means, that there are also many uncultured  movements.

Many people I know - which you would call New Age nutcases, became such because of numerous personal experiences.
They personally saw or experienced telekinesis, UFO, telepathy, miraculous healing, out-of-body experience, prophetic dreams, and so on. They just followed their multiple personal evidences wherever it leads. They don't automatically accept whatever is generally aligned with New Age, just what happened to them. This is something I can really agree with. Accept only what you can see or touch. If you can see or touch spirits, then don't ignore that fact.
Most of New Agers won't feel threatened by atheistic arguments, because they have their personal evidences, which is more than a claims of some guys over the internet. They know, that they're a minority - it is obviously natural to have a valid, mystical experience, while commoners wouldn't bet a crap on it. You know a logical fallacy of appeal to popularity. New Agers are also resistant towards an appeal to unpopularity.

What is New Age good for? At least it's a hobby - it gives a meaning to a life of a modern man or woman, who isn't satisfied by materialism. Our society is based on materialism, and it has it's disadvantages, so some people seeks for something more. At it's best, some New Age directions are philosopies, or downright sciences of finding the individual's purpose in modern society, shortly said, the sense of life, either individual, or even a life as such. It helps to understand the mechanisms of life and social relationships beyond the level you would consider possible and attainable, to what you'd consider an utopia and would be afraid of. It explains where are we from, who we are and where are we headed. It can accelerate the human development, help to create a permanently sustainable society. And it's nothing new at all, it's everything humans secretly knew, wanted and needed for millenia, but they mythicized, demonized or just forgot about it.

Now it's the time when we either start heading towards a permanently sustainable society, or die in the fire of our advanced technologies. Such a society inevitably must be based on such an utopic themes like freedom, justice and sharing, otherwise it won't be permanently sustainable. Things like lies, manipulation or repression are unstable elements, which after a time, always causes a fall of the empire, no matter how big. The only entirely beneficial rule is being a master over self.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.