Preachers and Politics

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Preachers and Politics

I'm really starting to tire of the non-stop barrage of criticism that Barack Obama is taking over his former Reverend and statements made by him.

It's the hypocrisy of the non-stop coverage of hostile statements made toward "white people" and the complete disregard when a pastor makes inflammatory comments toward, Jews, women, gay people etc.

I'm mostly speaking of Senator Mccain who has worked hard for the endorsement and support of Pastor John Hagee (who has made numerous anti-semitic comments, anti-Catholic comments, blames Hurricane Katrina on gays, etc.

While Obama is working hard to distance himself from his former Reverend, I wish there were more people (and journalists) holding every (especially Republican) politician accountable to what their own pastors say.  If the public were to have an honest and clear picture of each religious figure, I'd like to think that during election time, we'd have politicians running from pastors, rather than tripping over themselves to beg for their endorsement. 

I think we're seeing a huge missed opportunity to at least try and separate religion from politics.

Nice article on the topic here:

mediamatters.org/items/200805010003

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Countdown, Race to the white

Countdown, Race to the white house, and Dan Abrams have repeatedly brought this up, but the MSM hasn't really stuck to this idea. Wright is a lot more photogenic and atypical of what america is used to when they think of Pastor's(in a bad way). Nonstop playing of the "God Damn America" clip is the equivalent to Howard Dean's "Yawwwwwwwwww" in the 2004 primary. Hagee and Parsley are nuts, but they are familiar old, white middle class nuts preaching traditional conservative values. Their hate speech is generally more accepted as a legitimate conservative viewpoint.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda