Religion a Figment of Human Imagination

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion a Figment of Human Imagination

Interesting scientific theory. Too bad he doesn't back up his claims with evidence, so it just sounds like pure conjucture:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Story?id=4740178&page=1

My own theory is that the evolutionary development of rational thinking and understanding of the world has been a mixed blessing for our species. One the one had it has allowed survival by the development of such things as agriculture, tool usage, medicine, engineering, etc...

On the other hand, the more we know about somethings, the more we realize we don't know much about everything. So we understand the finality of death, the diseases and dangers that can destroy us, the competition for survival, the ability to make weapons of war, etc... All of this bringing on paranoia and anxiety. But only the paranoid survive. 

Also, rational thinking being a new development has associated with many faults and failures bringing on various psychosis. Religion - the opiate for the masses may have a role in reducing the dangerous psychosis and anxieties. But hopefully with modern psychology and medicine, religion will soon outlive it's usefulness.

Any more, religion is only useful a zombist tranquilizer. Basically, religion being an opiate, causes the affected individuals to become survivalist, breeding zombies. A fine example is this Texas polygamy cult. They live a boring, highly controlled, pitiful life. But religion blocks out all the pain of reality by creating a new one. They can only exist to survive and breed, not to think or enjoy life. You can see that they are brainwashed zombies, but this is their survival technique. This is an extreme examples, but all religions affect their followers to some degree in this way.

The battle today is not so much religion vs. atheism. But more a conflict between zombiism vs. rational consciousness. Religion has some survival benefits for it's followers. But it is overall harmful to societies that rely on education, science, technology and rational thinking for the overall well being of society.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

General-Forrest
General-Forrest's picture
User is offlineOffline
well i dont know bout him but

well humans firsted imagined in its way of explaining basic stuff like fire. what they would do is like make a ritual out of starting a fire like face all four direction each time with a certin person doing it and passing it down that way. then as time went own they realized that they didn't have to do that to start a fire. that is what i understood from my faith reason and imagination class i took.

i have heard the idea of how humans from 55,000 year ago until about 35,000 used oral communication they about 35,000 started to use drawings and art as forms of recording stuff. i learned this in my Faith Reason and Imganition class.

so this does not surprise me someone else is mention that we imagined religion. we love to imagine how to explain how as humans we do things we want to propose to the public so whats new we could of imagined religion to want an afterlife. one professor told me all religion is manmade but that we cant disprove god which i keep seeing is the truth. and look how religion gets on the offensive when something is stated that the religion does not agree with. do that not imagine new reasons why someone would say something like that.

best example from christianity is from Isaiah 45: 22-24 22Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

23I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

24Surely, shall one say, in the LORD have I righteousness and strength: even to him shall men come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed.

out of the king james translation ( which by its name should note it was translated for a monarach so please tell me why translate this wasn't translated to the way this king wanted it. because at this time king still had power to punish subjects with death i do believe. might be a reason only version to blantley mistranslate passover and call it easter is it not?) but hey its the ends that justify the means right? ok here is another thing out of the kjv bible Romans 9:3-7 and then look at 22:6-9

3And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

4And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

5And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

6And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

7And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.6And it came to pass, that, as I made my journey, and was come nigh unto Damascus about noon, suddenly there shone from heaven a great light round about me.

7And I fell unto the ground, and heard a voice saying unto me, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

8And I answered, Who art thou, Lord? And he said unto me, I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom thou persecutest.

9And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.

see something a little wrong with this so called king james version bible that is supposed to be the best translation and recommended that all christians use?

General