African Missionaries require prayer for food?

Vermilion
Vermilion's picture
User is offlineOffline
African Missionaries require prayer for food?

I just heard one particular show, where Razor's brother(I think) is being interviewed, and Brian mentions some missionaries in Africa in which people are given food and other assistance... But, the catch is that they are required to pray and attend church in order to get the food/assistance.

Is this true? Not that I would doubt it, but I would like to see some references if possible, as it is a bullet point I can add to the propaganda list

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
christianaggression.orgcrusad

christianaggression.org

crusadewatch.org

burningcross.net

In the US, go to a relatively large city of say... 50,000 people. Find the mission. Put on some less-than-regular clothes and pack a backpack with some basic stuff in it(not too neatly). Go to the mission and register to stay. They'll tell you how long you can stay for your first time there. Tell them that you're looking for work because a construction job in a nearby town fell through. Stay the night. Refuse to go to chapel because you're an atheist. See what happens.

I already know.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unholy shit!

darth_josh wrote:

christianaggression.org

crusadewatch.org

burningcross.net

In the US, go to a relatively large city of say... 50,000 people. Find the mission. Put on some less-than-regular clothes and pack a backpack with some basic stuff in it(not too neatly). Go to the mission and register to stay. They'll tell you how long you can stay for your first time there. Tell them that you're looking for work because a construction job in a nearby town fell through. Stay the night. Refuse to go to chapel because you're an atheist. See what happens.

I already know.

You've actually tried this?

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not by choice. I needed a

Not by choice. I needed a place to sleep.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Well fuck those assholes up

Well fuck those assholes up the ass with a drill.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vermilion wrote:But, the

Vermilion wrote:
But, the catch is that they are required to pray and attend church in order to get the food/assistance.

Ask any homeless guy about shelters. That problem will inevitably come up. There are exceptions, like a priest I know of in New York who's amazing, but the Vatican wants to pull him because he's not converting, he's just helping. It's like the Jesuit who set up all the farming co-ops in India in the 60s to keep people from starving - the Vatican pulled him out of there because all he was doing was saving people's lives, not spreading the word. Insane.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:It's like

HisWillness wrote:

It's like the Jesuit who set up all the farming co-ops in India in the 60s to keep people from starving - the Vatican pulled him out of there because all he was doing was saving people's lives, not spreading the word. Insane.

Yeah. Insane Jesuits. Thinking the only way to know God is through His works, and the only way to know His works is through empiricism. Taking the Bible literarly in all the wrong places, like the parts where it says to help those in need, and to give of yourself, and whatnot.

I hate those guys.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who worries about silly

Who worries about silly things like food and shelter when your eternal soul is at risk? Oh ya..sane people.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
This reminds me of a

This reminds me of a Starvin' Marvin episode of Southpark...

The Missionary teaching the kids pulls down a screen w/

(A picture of the bible) + (accepting jesus) = FOOD

and all the ethiopians start tearing thru the bible.

Marvin speaks in clicks !!

The Missionary: "No. no, Marvin. Speak in god's language...English".

I love those guys

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't find that hard to

I don't find that hard to believe...

Slimm,

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Vermilion

HisWillness wrote:

Vermilion wrote:
But, the catch is that they are required to pray and attend church in order to get the food/assistance.

Ask any homeless guy about shelters. That problem will inevitably come up. There are exceptions, like a priest I know of in New York who's amazing, but the Vatican wants to pull him because he's not converting, he's just helping. It's like the Jesuit who set up all the farming co-ops in India in the 60s to keep people from starving - the Vatican pulled him out of there because all he was doing was saving people's lives, not spreading the word. Insane.

Don't be naive, do you think anyone would want to help somebody wish does not believe your god. If he dies then you gain an upper hand in this battle Laughing out loud

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
What's really bad is when

What's really bad is when they go where people seriously need food and medicine, and they wastet resources bringing them fucking bibles! If I was one of those people there, I'd shove the bibles up their asses I think!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rice bowl christens

Christian mission societies operated in China for  nearly 150 years, til 1949.  The churches were usually full , even the missonarys complained they were only "rice bowl Christens" , The Christens finnaly caught on when they realized that the millions of converts produced excedingly few priests and nuns.   Clearly the missionarys pretended to be humane as long as they went to church, and the chinese pretended to convert to feed their familys. The only thing they had in common was a violation of the ninth commandment. (no lieing)

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Nialler
User is offlineOffline
I think that it's worth

I think that it's worth avoiding the risk of tarring them all with the same brush. If there are specific charities doing this, then they need to be named.

I've spent a considerable amount of time in some of the poorest countries in Africa, working alongside aid agencies, and I never came across a single one which made their aid dependent on conversion. Not a single one - and that includes Christian Aid.

They're very specific about their aid being available to all - as are many charities.

blue_monkey
blue_monkey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nialler wrote: "I think that

Nialler wrote: "I think that it's worth avoiding the risk of tarring them all with the same brush. If there are specific charities doing this, then they need to be named."

I very much agree. A friend of mine worked for a year in Argentina as a missionary for the United Methodists. She lived with a Catholic family and never preached her version of Christianity to them or anyone else. She helped orphaned children by mentoring them and working to get them the material resources they needed to survive and thrive.

Modern missionaries are quite a different animal from their traditional counterpart. There are Roman Catholic missionaries in Africa who quietly support and sometimes even help gain funding for birth control to prevent the spread of AIDS because they are moved by the horrible plight of people there. Many missionaries today are motivated by one thing: the deep, personal desire to help their fellow humans. Those who fullfill that goal should be honored and respected for their great work.

Only if we understand can we care. Only if we care will we help. Only if we help shall they be saved.