To attack religion itself or organized religion's negative effects on society?

Freak
User is offlineOffline
To attack religion itself or organized religion's negative effects on society?

Rational Responders seems to me to have a common theme of disproving the existence of any god or gods in general, mainly attacking the Christian religion. But as I've seen some of the videos, especially that apparently huge debate with the... Mormon actor? I believe? Yeah, but they all seem to focus on that common theme. But what real use is it to debate the existence of the Christian god?

Obviously a few answers would come to mind: if we debate this, and make good arguments, then people will be more likely to stop believing. You may think that believing in the existence of the Christian god is stupid, or illogical. That all theists are moronic, brainwashed zombies of some sort. And therefore by imposing the disbelief in god and explaining to them their fallacies in thought, that they will see "reason" and except it. (Which is highly illogical, many, many people go to huge, even catastrophic, lengths to defend their faith) Or because organized religions, especially the current monotheistic sister religions of Christianity and Islam (Judaism isn't so apparent, as far as I can see) have such a horrible impact on life and society, and its becoming a huge burden on individual rights of minorities by interfering with government, especially. But again this is all centered around in the attempt to beat the religions into submission or by weakening its base of followers.

So is debating God's existence really helping?

I believe that people can worship anything they damn well want to. If you want to idolize Charles Darwin, or an invisible man in the sky that does CPR on clay figures, or even a giant spaghetti blob monster its your decision to. But when something massive organized religious institutions and figures arise and tell other that they have to idolize the same ridicules concepts are obviously a huge threat to our society and the general happiness of its inhabitants. So I do firmly believe in the separation of Church and State and all that jumbo. So wouldn't attacking, say, the Roman Catholics political power? Or the fact that the a candidate for the 2008 election for the next United States president's belief in the Christian god is essential to any chance of winning?

Not to say, of course, that fighting the general idea of a creator and that creator being the Christian god is a bad thing. For a very, very long time the disbelief in a god has been a huge taboo, before leading to death as a heretic, but now social stigma in many places, thankfully no where that I live. But giving Atheists a voice is going to have a great impact and force the Church and others to accept us eventually. Atheists will hopefully soon no longer be the outsiders that are unclaimed by another organized religion and therefore be fairgame for converters. Thanks to organizations like these it isn't as taboo to express your beliefs. No longer having to keep them in the dark and face serious social stigma if they happen to come into light, obviously this is in more common in some places rather then others.

jonasnz1
User is offlineOffline
The reason I, myself hate

The reason I, myself hate ""any religion"" that poses a diety, as an avenger, is because it causes suffering and murder!!!

How many times have you heard a nutcase spout god/satan made me do it???

Now how many times in all the history of our race, have you heard of sane men, even countries, going to war for god, and country???

Now how many laws, in the U.S. are pushed by religiuos beliefs???

As long as religion, or laws that are based in religious motavations, are forced on me, I will continue to fight against it.

The day you thiests practice your beliefs, without forcing me to live "your way", then I won't give a shit what you believe.

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree that it is actions

I agree that it is actions rather than belief thet is a problem. However belief colours the faithful's view on the world, their decisions and how they treat people. This is why religion is bad. For those who are deists, pantheists or whose beliefs are so weak that they don't really pay attention to them (etc) there isn't really a problem and i don't have a problem with them.

As to why confront the existence of god as well as religion and the actions of religion... I think what we really are trying to achieve is to wake people up, make them think and challenge their own beliefs, prejudices and doctrines (brainwashing). To have the biggest effect you need a multi-pronged approach. This is also why there are different types of atheist sites. Each has it's own style and therefore will reach a slightly different audience.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

TaylorX04
TaylorX04's picture
User is offlineOffline
A few thoughts...

Faith is not the enemy, fundamentalism is, and it comes in virtually all walks of life. It is a virus that is so infectious that it would perhaps require complete destruction to eliminate it entirely, for it is not merely a religious issue, nor a political one. It can be found everywhere, and it spreads swiftly. For to believe in something so strongly as to sacrifice life for it is a bold statement indeed, one that will guarantee attention. Fundamentalism can be described as dogmatic irrationality, and it is an ineradicable and darkly ironic consequence that comes from faith and belief (I am speaking in a broader sense here, not solely a religious sense). Any belief or serious emotional investment can drive us to wild, irrational reactions. We murder in the name of god, in the name of politics, territorial disputes, love, jealousy, envy, etc, etc. It is part of the dualistic manner of our human nature, and although it may seem a tragic price we pay - for being able to feel and enjoy emotions that aren't exactly rational - is it not one of the noblest causes to fight against it still? Surely even just decreasing the grasp of fundamentalism and irrational thinking over humanity is worthy of all the effort in the world!

kaab
User is offlineOffline
I like the ideas

I like the ideas that are being thrown around on this thread. Christianity is an easy target for thinking people because it is predominant and it is illogical and it is a lie. It should have been discarded into the dustbin of history like Greek mythology, but it wasn't. Why? Because it came up with the ultimate hooks--greed, fear, ultimate power, omnipotence, evil, goodness. My wife is a Catholic, she looks a lot like the girl with the Darwin shirt on to my right, and you just try to tell her how evil the Catholic church is and how it continues to be a force of insanity in our world. You would be talking to a heroin addict with heroin in your hand in a little baggie, trying to convince them not to do it. Religion is that strong, it tears people from their senses, it creates this us vs them mindset. To get at the heart of the matter, it is quite simply wrong and foolish and ridiculous.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Freak wrote:For a very, very

Freak wrote:

For a very, very long time the disbelief in a god has been a huge taboo

That's really what this forum is about - there's one place where it's okay to express thoughts that are free of faith and other forms of bullshit. It's practically a support group. Disproving God is very cathartic!

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
Freak wrote:But what real

Freak wrote:

But what real use is it to debate the existence of the Christian god?

While all religions are irrational the imaginary god of Abe and all its incarnations is vile and dangerous. I think you'll find most of the more passionate posts are directed towards fighting the influence and power of the false god of Abe.

As far as attacking the actions and not the actual religion is concerned. As long as people are using the bible, koran or some other "holy" book they will have the justification, in their minds anyway, to push their god down the throats of the unsaved. The clergy of all religions exists to gather as many to their "flock" as they possibly can. Many will do and say whatever accomplishes that goal.

It may be helpful to keep in mind that there is no universal doctrine or master plan that all Atheists must follow in the, likely, eternal struggle against the danger to humanity that is theism.

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
What good is it to debate

What good is it to debate god?

Lets see, Dark ages, Spanish Inquisition, Salem witch trials, Jewish Holocaust, 9/11....lots of good reasons to challenge religion.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
faith vs fundamentalism

While I agree that faith by itself is not a major problem, and that any form of fundamentalism is bad, when that faith is joined by religion it starts to influence peoples world view, introducing bias and prejudice. This is where even moderate religion is damaging. It tells people what to think and believe. Extremists are of course the most worrying. We have seen that in the communist revolutions (although I could argue that they elevated their leader(s) to the state of virtual god in the eyes of the people and made nationalism their religion) and in sport riots/hooligans (what could be more pointless?). However even milder religious beliefs sow the seeds for exremists, and there are a million shades of grey in between. You don't need violence to be damaging people.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Freak wrote:Rational

Freak wrote:

Rational Responders seems to me to have a common theme of disproving the existence of any god or gods in general, mainly attacking the Christian religion. But as I've seen some of the videos, especially that apparently huge debate with the... Mormon actor? I believe? Yeah, but they all seem to focus on that common theme. But what real use is it to debate the existence of the Christian god?

Mormon actor? You don't remember 'Growing Pains'? Damn I'm getting old.

It isn't just the 'christian god concept' that is discussed. If we look at demographics, one can see why it seems to be so predominant in discussions.

Quote:
Obviously a few answers would come to mind: if we debate this, and make good arguments, then people will be more likely to stop believing. You may think that believing in the existence of the Christian god is stupid, or illogical. That all theists are moronic, brainwashed zombies of some sort. And therefore by imposing the disbelief in god and explaining to them their fallacies in thought, that they will see "reason" and except it.

Myfavorite word for this is 'extirpation'.

Quote:
(Which is highly illogical, many, many people go to huge, even catastrophic, lengths to defend their faith) Or because organized religions, especially the current monotheistic sister religions of Christianity and Islam (Judaism isn't so apparent, as far as I can see) have such a horrible impact on life and society, and its becoming a huge burden on individual rights of minorities by interfering with government, especially. But again this is all centered around in the attempt to beat the religions into submission or by weakening its base of followers.

Is it 'highly illogical' to allow it to run un-checked by reason?

Quote:
So is debating God's existence really helping?

It has certainly brought the topic into the limelight and empowered a great number of people to vocalize the same concerns you have expressed.

Quote:
I believe that people can worship anything they damn well want to. If you want to idolize Charles Darwin, or an invisible man in the sky that does CPR on clay figures, or even a giant spaghetti blob monster its your decision to. But when something massive organized religious institutions and figures arise and tell other that they have to idolize the same ridicules concepts are obviously a huge threat to our society and the general happiness of its inhabitants.

Is it not the belief itself that adds the power to the religious institution and figure? There is a symbiotic relationship between power and purveyor here. Since ethics prevent us from killing the individuals responsible for the perpetuation of the religious idiocy, we must destroy the belief itself and replace it with reality.

Quote:
So I do firmly believe in the separation of Church and State and all that jumbo. So wouldn't attacking, say, the Roman Catholics political power? Or the fact that the a candidate for the 2008 election for the next United States president's belief in the Christian god is essential to any chance of winning?

We do, have done, will do all of those things and more.

Quote:
Not to say, of course, that fighting the general idea of a creator and that creator being the Christian god is a bad thing. For a very, very long time the disbelief in a god has been a huge taboo, before leading to death as a heretic, but now social stigma in many places, thankfully no where that I live. But giving Atheists a voice is going to have a great impact and force the Church and others to accept us eventually. Atheists will hopefully soon no longer be the outsiders that are unclaimed by another organized religion and therefore be fairgame for converters. Thanks to organizations like these it isn't as taboo to express your beliefs. No longer having to keep them in the dark and face serious social stigma if they happen to come into light, obviously this is in more common in some places rather then others.

Nice pep speech. I just want to call your attention to the fact that our very existence as atheists is an affront to their beliefs. Quite often, one need only declare their atheism in open company to invite discourse(rational or irrational lol).

[METAPHOR]

"The best defense is a good offense." The site provides us with a scrimmage line. We are the linemen. We have ten strings of quarterbacks, 20 running backs, more affiliates for wide receivers. Coaches for every position. Our cheer section even plays. Opposing teams from all over want to come here and make their plays.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
ronin-dog wrote:However even

ronin-dog wrote:

However even milder religious beliefs sow the seeds for exremists, and there are a million shades of grey in between. You don't need violence to be damaging people.

This is true, and is one of my biggest problems with religion in general, aside from the fact that it makes people less discriminating between reality and fantasy. Religion is not the only problem however. The problems are fear and irrationality. This is what causes murdering and suffering. Religion is just too inextricably bound up with fear and by its nature it rejects rationalism. Even moderate religious or superstitious beliefs.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

ugzog
Bronze Member
ugzog's picture
User is offlineOffline
haha

You have to love xtians that write these pathetic post and never return to support their sad arguments.

I guess they get "GOD" points for, "telling them atheist off"......

So Award Him the "Billy Madison Award"

"what you've just wrote is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may The Invisible CPR Spaghetti Blob have mercy on your soul."

Man is the only animal in all of nature that cannot accept its own mortality.

AprilElder
User is offlineOffline
There "should" be no right

There "should" be no right or wrong here... but thats what religion is, a constant battle of what is right & wrong, and what is good and bad.. Its a power struggle... Karl Marx would say that Society needs religion to be stable as per the conflict theory... Its just what people do to interact... we are proving this just by our posts on this thread Smiling

People simply stating their opinion and then others arguing against it... is this not what makes the world go round?... Its how we act on our beliefs that is corrupting society...

although if the world was to start over Im sure it would happen the exact same way... People need to believe and we are all Stubborn and have a self centered way about it... "My way is the Only way, and you should believe it too!!!"

Religion is "Man Made", but its also "Human Nature"...

Awesome thread!!!

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rational Responders seems to

Rational Responders seems to me to have a common theme of disproving the existence of any god or gods in general, mainly attacking the Christian religion.

I would hope not as disproof is rarely possible and in the few cases it appears to work can be called into question easily.

Rule 1
The burden of EVIDENCE is always on the person making the positive assertion. Rephrasing a positive into a negative is gradeschool "prove it isn't" stuff and is to be ignored.

Rule 2
As in law so also in science, it is only the preponderance of the evidence. The concept of proof only applies to the fields of mathematics and logic. It never applies to science and in law proof is defined is "beyond a reasonable doubt" or "preponderance of the evidence" in criminal and civil cases respectively.

Rule 2.5
There is no such thing as beyond a reasonable doubt in science. Everything is based upon the interpretation of the available evidence. Conceivably, new evidence found tomorrow could bring down the entire edifice of science but it is unlikely to find angels pushing things around.

Rule 3
Finding fault with one thing does not establish the opposite is true. If evolution were thrown into a cocked hat tomorrow that would not "prove" creation. The two are not opposites. By everything written on the origin of the world and life even the most pious Christians in ancient times did not take Genesis literally. Literal Genesis is a modern retrograde response to evolution.

Putting all of this together, theism is not the default position. The burden of evidence is always on the theists. They have no concept of what evidence is so putting it on them is a safe approach.

The bible says is no different from the Koran says or Dianetics says or Book of Mormon says.

Anyone claiming the majority can't be wrong, talk to them the day after an election where their candidate loses. This will be particularly useful next week with bible thumpers after Obama wins. Speaking of Obama ...

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
I believe that people can

I believe that people can worship anything they damn well want to.

I have always wondered about this worship stuff.

People: We worship you, oh Lord.
Sky Voice: So worship me already.
People: Great rocks! Love that sky!
Sky Voice: I said worship. Those are compliments!
People: How shall we worship you?
Sky Voice: Don't follow the gourd for Me's sake.
People: But we don't know how to worship you.
Sky Voice: Then why did you say you do?
People:[Shuffling around] Because you told us to?
Sky Voice: When did I do that?
People: We read it in your book.
Sky Voice: You think I need a book to tell you something? Now bugger off!

Anyway, a dispassionate view of religion in the Christian/Islamic sense first creates a problem, you need saving, and then prescribes a solution to the problem it created.

Obviously a few answers would come to mind: if we debate this, and make good arguments, then people will be more likely to stop believing.

People enjoy believing. It is built into us because mammals in general and the larger the brain the more important it is to learn to imitate ones parents as children/cubs/pups/whatever. It is day to day survival. Our ancestors learned to imitate their parents and run away from big cats. Even down to civilized times occupations were hereditary and even today they often are.

If you examine all of life you find that an accepting belief in religion is the smallest part of what we accept by instinct.

So is it impossible to beat religion? You can only believe that if you do not look at how pervasive religion used to be in everyday life. Here is a question with a very unobvious answer.

What technological or scientific advance was the greatest setback to religion?

It was not Darwin and evolution. It was not realizing the size of the universe. It was not vaccination. It was the lightning rod.

Ever since churches and temples were built tall or on high places something evil was attacking houses of worship. Where prayer failed to bring the devil to heel, a rod of iron and a strip of copper worked. Some ministers and priests at first condemned it. Those who used it had their churches saved. Soon all adopted it.

And with that their god began its long retreat into the gaps of the unexplained. The pace of scientific and technical progress has accelerated such that the gaps of rapidly become smaller with the domain of this god retreating accordingly.

In my lifetime god has retreated from an active force to a guiding concept in religious thought. That is a gap theoretical science is learning to express in practical terms today.

Bottom line here is patience. In my 60+ years there has been a massive change due to science leading engineering rather than clever inventors. Believers are backing themselves into a level of abstraction that makes not difference in the real world. Except for American rednecks of course.

In Europe the American redneck is a rarity. Concern over the influence of religion is in fact mostly an US concern. The rest of the Americas have imitated Europe.

In the long run, this is not a fight that has to be engaged. It is a fight that every technical advance is making for us because all previous advances have, if not loosened the grip of religion, moved it to another level of abstraction where it has less and less to do with everyday life. In the old days, a sneeze got a "God bless you" that was meant. Today major surgery is about the only health issue that elicits prayer. When people survive they first thank modern medicine not the sky voice.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
This reminded me of a time

This reminded me of a time when my friend was being bothered by Mormons trying to convert him (he didn't but unfortunately is a near-fundie Catholic. ) I was making fun of their beliefs talking about how they can't drink, watch porn or even have caffeine. I said all they're allowed to do is sit on the couch with their arms folded and their tongue out. He repeated this and surprisingly they treated it with humor (saying "actually we're not even allowed to stick our tongue out. " ) Anyway I later made fun of other aspects and said their baptism involves being placed in a pot of boiling water and the lid slammed on their head - he repeated these things to them and they said that I'm evil.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team